• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

ElFly

Hey guys I need to ask again. I know this might sound like a silly question, but my 5 year old nephew just called me begging me to take him to watch this movie. I have not seen him in months and his parents taken him to seen other pg 13 movies. His mom dont give a crap and taken him to see stuff like avenger, iron man 3, etc.

For those that saw it, any parts of the movie too much for a kid his age? I am sure if I dont take him, his mom will later on anyways lol. Anyways any thing I should be wary about like too much gore, foul lang etc?

No naked bits, sex or anything.

Tons of people die in explosions and off camera and this is a pretty general spoiler
one dies in camera in a p obvious way

Don't think I heard much foul language? No gore but there's this skull imagery.

Um I still think it's not appropiate for a 5 y/o it's still p intense but I guess if he saw avengers can take this.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Hey guys I need to ask again. I know this might sound like a silly question, but my 5 year old nephew just called me begging me to take him to watch this movie. I have not seen him in months and his parents taken him to seen other pg 13 movies. His mom dont give a crap and taken him to see stuff like avenger, iron man 3, etc.

For those that saw it, any parts of the movie too much for a kid his age? I am sure if I dont take him, his mom will later on anyways lol. Anyways any thing I should be wary about like too much gore, foul lang etc?

It's pretty violent. And the violence isn't just cartoon violence like the Hulk slamming Loki around, either. It also includes quite a bit of imagery that I think would be disturbing to a child that age. I'd say your best bet is to go see it without the kid first, and then decide for yourself whether you think it's too much for him.

cajunator

Banned
Im sitting in the theater now waiting for it to start. So looking forward to this. This place is packed to the gills. Might be a pretty good opening.

jett

D-Member
I liked it, I liked it alot, the thing that bothered me the most was how serious it was, I think I counted 2 jokes :/

Also Faora stole the show.

iKfn88o1hc0hp.gif

Ashhong

Here over 2 hours early and there is a long ass line waiting for IMAX showing. I have never seen a line this long at this time for opening night. Not even Spider-Man 3!! And we all know how much hype that movie had lol

satori

It's pretty violent. And the violence isn't just cartoon violence like the Hulk slamming Loki around, either. It also includes quite a bit of imagery that I think would be disturbing to a child that age. I'd say your best bet is to go see it without the kid first, and then decide for yourself whether you think it's too much for him.

Yeah thanks for the input guys. It is sounding like the movie is going to be too intense for a 5 year old. I will advise my sister to not to take him either.

witness

Loving all the good impressions and reports of packed theaters. Looks like we have a transformers situation, critics are split and the audience loves it. We need this movie to succeed to get a Batman/Superman movie.

Can't wait to see it tomorrow!

Helmholtz

Yeah thanks for the input guys. It is sounding like the movie is going to be too intense for a 5 year old. I will advise my sister to not to take him either.
Yeah I'm no parent, but I don't think I'd take a 5 year old to a Zack Snyder flick, PG 13 or not. I could be wrong though, haven't seen it.

Helmholtz

My kid loves Robocop. Supes hitting shit won't phase him.
Eh, you're probably right. I remember loving movies like Terminator 2 when I was really young even if I didn't fully understand them. And I turned out okay, I think :p. I doubt Man of Steel is very graphic at all, probably just action packed.

Dahbomb

i disagree with you on many things, but you chose wisely to show your son robocop. all children should grow up on that and predator.
And Terminator 2. I would add in Aliens too but that might be too much for young kids. Alien (part 1) scared the crap out of me as a kid.

Eh, you're probably right. I remember loving movies like Terminator 2 when I was really young even if I didn't fully understand them. And I turned out okay, I think :p. I doubt Man of Steel is very graphic at all, probably just action packed.

My mom took me to see Cobra in what 1985 I think I was 9

Just saw it, it's a Zack Snyder film and feels comparable in many ways to everything else he's done, which is to say I didn't think it was very good. If you liked 300 you'll probably like this, but the characters, writing, story and performances are all weak. It's a big CGI fest with MTV editing and no depth. I'm completely burnt out on these kinds of movies at this point, they all just blur together in my mind.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Oh guys, did I tell you that the soundtrack was fantastic?

It's awesome, not sure how it works in the movie, but it's been nothing but the OST in my ears since it was released.

Ive been thinking about stuff and based on info tonight and reviews once KalBalboa asks to be unbanned... I'm pretty sure he's going to rip this movie a new one lol Not that I care, but I want to avoid his wrath when he goes off for personal reasons. I'll be shocked if he likes or loves it.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm all ready for next week...

tumblr_modadh1bxq1qjfh7po1_500.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I wasn't too big on it.

Zack Snyder goes way, wayyyyy over the top in his love of blowing shit up. Superman should be a prescient fighter, he should be trying to protect people from harm's way and doing his damnedest to redirect the fights away from innocent bystanders. Furthest thing from what happens in this movie. For every one civilian he swoops in to save, hundreds more are being charred in the gratuitous explosions he's inviting to busy population centers and crushed by the city's worth of buildings and skyscrapers he helped to completely vivisect. He tells people to "go inside and hide" in Smallville, and then proceeds to have a fight right fuckin' there in main street where every building in town is being swiss-cheesed by the combatants and a constant rain of (exploding) flotsam and jetsam is just tenderizing the whole town. The wanton destruction of property to serve the all-important 'hey, this looks cool' just becomes downright comical and destroys any sense of signifigance or value placed on the loss of human life.

Also major pet peeve: There's a huge, impossible-to-ignore whirlwind of death and destruction that's been going on in the heart of the city for a while now. Now we shift to a scene in that same city. "Okay, extras, here's your direction: You're going about your daily routine...."

ReiGun

From Twitter said:
Saw Man of Steel. I don't see all the hype, I prefer Smallville

D: Is it that bad?!

Gaf impressions range from okay to great thus far, critics still divided, Twitter digs it, Mark Waid on suicide watch, worse than Smallville...

This shit cray

I wasn't too big on it.

Zack Snyder goes way, wayyyyy over the top in his love of blowing shit up. Superman should be a prescient fighter, he should be trying to protect people from harm's way and doing his damnedest to redirect the fights away from innocent bystanders. Furthest thing from what happens in this movie. For every one civilian he swoops in to save, hundreds more are being charred in the gratuitous explosions he's inviting to busy population centers and crushed by the city's worth of buildings and skyscrapers he helped to completely vivisect. He tells people to "go inside and hide" in Smallville, and then proceeds to have a fight right fuckin' there in main street where every building in town is being swiss-cheesed by the combatants and a constant rain of (exploding) flotsam and jetsam is just tenderizing the whole town. The wanton destruction of property to serve the all-important 'hey, this looks cool' just becomes downright comical and destroys any sense of signifigance or value placed on the loss of human life.

Also major pet peeve: There's a huge, impossible-to-ignore whirlwind of death and destruction that's been going on in the heart of the city for a while now. Now we shift to a scene in that same city. "Okay, extras, here's your direction: You're going about your daily routine...."
Damn...

Matrix

D: Is it that bad?!

Id take a critic blasting it while comparing it to Donner films than someone saying it's worse than Smallville lol Most likely a Welling fanboy/girl. Smallville love borders on insane on the net.

edit - Tumblr loves it right now, maybe even more than tweeters.

Ashhong

You have to remember, this is (mostly) Amurica. We love blowing shit up and action. I think the social media is going to love it. WOM should be good and lead to a good opening weekend take.

Matrix

This guy just proposed to his gf am hour before our IMAX showing haha

Did he crush a piece of coal in his bare hands and present a diamond? haha

Matrix

That would have been cute. Or at least a coal shaped ring box

Damn he just wasn't nerdy enough haha You would figure he might have had something up his sleeve if you're going to propose before a movie. Unless she's just a huge Superman fan.

ReiGun

Id take a critic blasting it while comparing it to Donner films than someone saying it's worse than Smallville lol Most likely a Welling fanboy/girl. Smallville love borders on insane on the net.

edit - Tumblr loves it right now, maybe even more than tweeters.
I'm waiting to see what my friends who went to the midnight premiere think. None of them are big Superman fans, but they're probably right in the audience for this movie.

Speaking, one of them already had a mini-meltdown on fb, cursing Zack Synder for being director, claiming it should have been Nolan instead. I wanted to burst his bubble saying even Nolan admits Superman is a little ill suited for his skills set, but I quickly realized I didn't care that much. lol

You have to remember, this is (mostly) Amurica. We love blowing shit up and action. I think the social media is going to love it. WOM should be good and lead to a good opening weekend take.

True. It really is looking like one of those cases where critics and audiences disagree.

Also, steering the conversation from reaction and review watching, here's Goyer on Justice League.

David Goyer: It is our intention that, in success, this would be the zero issue and from this point onward, possible films could expand into a shared universe. In our world, the Man of Steel world, Zack has gone on record saying that we’re implying there are other superheroes in this world. But I don’t know that they’ve come forward yet. The idea is that Superman is the first one. There might be people helping people, but not in costumes, and that Superman comes forward and announces himself to the world. In him announcing himself, he’s the one that changes things.

Bleeding Cool: You’re positing a cause and effect?

David Goyer: Yes, yes absolutely, in our mind.

Bleeding Cool: And so now, Bruce Wayne will feel alright in his ears, where he might not have dressed up like that before. Is that the kind of thinking?

David Goyer: Well, yes… there’s definitely… I don’t want to get too in depth. Obviously, Zack and I have had conversations… but there would be a cause and effect. And that would extend to the collateral damage that happened, and to what other countries feel about the fact Superman calls America his home. Man of Steel doesn’t exist in a vaccum.

Sounds like what DC did in New 52 and how I've predicted they'd do it: Superman is the first, and following him, a bunch of other heroes start coming out of the woodwork. Hopefully, they won't half-ass like the new 52 did where they were all "lol Superman is first....but Batman was operating years before him. lol"

Matrix

OMG hot toys did it again. Put these up for pre-order now!

6313_10151446325662344_1157504345_n.jpg

946426_10151446326157344_1735765606_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151446325497344.1073741879.58690437343&type=3

"Speaking, one of them already had a mini-meltdown on fb, cursing Zack Synder for being director, claiming it should have been Nolan instead. I wanted to burst his bubble saying even Nolan admits Superman is a little ill suited for his skills set, but I quickly realized I didn't care that much. lol"

lol

Man, you really love highlighting the negative opinions.
This bullshit again. I meam its not like i havent been in this thread trying to have conversations, maybe even trying to understand why some people have been negative, oh no. I'm just a hater.

My damn was a reference to the amount of destruction described there. I heard it's action packed but i hadn't heard it was like that. I was kinda taken aback.

But i obviously want the movie to fail.

EDIT: and i havent even been going out of my way to highlight negative opinions . The first two reviews i brought up, way back in the days (last monday) were the only two reviews at the time that i could find.

Am I being confused for someone else?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Man, you really love highlighting the negative opinions.
I dunno, I just find it really jarring that Superman basically pays as much mind to collateral damage as the Hulk. Most people probably don't even infer a loss of life when skyscrapers are getting ripped in half; Unless it specifically shows the people inside screaming in agony then well that's okay, it was clearly empty. I wish I could shut my brain off like that, but it's a curse I must bear.

Overall though, it was okay. I'd say maybe C+. A lot more satisfying than Returns, but that's a given considering Supes actually gets a foe he can punch this time.

Matrix

He looks kind of bulky.

Weird I don't find it bulky looking. Some don't and some people do like you as I'm reading through the FB comments. Man even the figure is gonna create controversy lol jk

I hate the fact they don't say when it's going up for sale. Ultimate tease.

Matrix

Overall though, it was okay. I'd say maybe C+. A lot more satisfying than Returns, but that's a given considering Supes actually gets a foe he can punch this time.

Don't tell that to the critics lol

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Looks great. Colours seem a bit off though. Will definitely get to go along with my Chris Reeve Superman. Now show us Joe-El, Zod and Faora.

1eQVZaf.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Saw it. Really mixed. Action was amazing but the script and dialogue is fucking horrid.

I understand why the reviews are bad for this.

Top Bottom