• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Fruitster

fcas60ngxo7.gif

I'll never tire of seeing this.

LosDaddie

Banned
He says it's a 6 out of 10 and is The Amazing Spider-Man of the DC movie universe.

Don't really agree with any of the impressions but to each their own.

All I want to know is if there's an end-credits scene, or not.

I'm seeing MoS next Friday in IMAX 3D.

Eh, Cavill's delivery here is atrocious. Something about the CG just seems... off, as well.

The delivery I have to agree. When Superman said "Doesn't it?!", his facial expression reminds me of Kristen Stewart delivering that line in the twilight film.

But this is just a short clip.

Hotdamn!! Faora is hot as fuck. If only she would've played the part as the reporter

seriously though, I'm having a hard time believing the 3D on this thing is gonna be worth it. post-conversion is almost always sub-par, and snyder shot this thing handheld with mostly one camera. Making that kind of footage stereoscopic? That's a rough task.

Unless it's shot natively in 3D, its almost never worth it. I wish they'd spent the 10-20 mil (if that) on something else. But I know that 3D tax is too good to pass up.

It was shot on 35mm. I'm gonna only seek it out in 2D, myself.

Some of the impressions are deflating my hype :/

That's a good thing. The problem w/ hype is that it transforms anticipation into expectation. And that's when people start feeling burnt over movies, and disappointment becomes anger.

At the end of the day, even if it's great - its still just a movie.

Beowulf28

That's a good thing. The problem w/ hype is that it transforms anticipation into expectation. And that's when people start feeling burnt over movies, and disappointment becomes anger.

At the end of the day, even if it's great - its still just a movie.

You're right, it probably is better for my enjoyment if I go in with low expectations anyway.

seriously though, I'm having a hard time believing the 3D on this thing is gonna be worth it. post-conversion is almost always sub-par, and snyder shot this thing handheld with mostly one camera. Making that kind of footage stereoscopic? That's a rough task.

Unless it's shot natively in 3D, its almost never worth it. I wish they'd spent the 10-20 mil (if that) on something else. But I know that 3D tax is too good to pass up.

It was shot on 35mm. I'm gonna only seek it out in 2D, myself.
To me it was better or on par with Hobbits 3D. I also say Rises at a true Imax theater with the 50 ft screen or whatever it was and this was just as good... I really enjoyed the 3D. Hobbit, Pi, DKR and this had really good 3D. Id say it was definitely better than star trek's 3D.
Some of the impressions are deflating my hype :/

Better to be disappointed before hand and then be surprised than the other way around I'd say.

To me it was better or on par with Hobbits 3D. I also say Rises at a true Imax theater with the 50 ft screen or whatever it was and this was just as good... I really enjoyed the 3D. Hobbit, Pi, DKR and this had really good 3D. Id say it was definitely better than star trek's 3D

Yeah, I didn't see star Trek in 3D, but I wasn't all that impressed w/ Hobbit's, which WAS shot natively.

Basically, movies like coraline & Hugo & How to Train Your Dragon (and Avatar of course) should be the baseline for 3D, not the top tier. Unfortunately, it isn't, and the baseline is 10-20 million dollar post-conversions that sorta just wear off after 10 minutes anyway.

Betty

Banned
To me it was better or on par with Hobbits 3D. I also say Rises at a true Imax theater with the 50 ft screen or whatever it was and this was just as good... I really enjoyed the 3D. Hobbit, Pi, DKR and this had really good 3D. Id say it was definitely better than star trek's 3D.

DKR had 3D?

LosDaddie

Banned

Better to be disappointed before hand and then be surprised than the other way around I'd say.

Is there an end-credit scene like the Marvel movies?

raphier

Banned
Sounds like this movie suffers from the same problem as The Dark Knight Rises...too much bloat for a 2 hour movie. Nolan should write mini series.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nothing after it when I saw it. A bunch of people were annoyed by that. Some guy wanted Alfred to show up...for some reason.

thanks! I would've been annoyed to have waited the extra 10-15min for all the credits for nothing.

Sounds like this movie suffers from the same problem as The Dark Knight Rises...bloat.

2hr 23min does seem lengthy, but I'm sure I'll enjoy every second of it. If MoS comes even close to matching Avengers, then I'll be happy

Yeah, I didn't see star Trek in 3D, but I wasn't all that impressed w/ Hobbit's, which WAS shot natively.

Basically, movies like coraline & Hugo & How to Train Your Dragon (and Avatar of course) should be the baseline for 3D, not the top tier. Unfortunately, it isn't, and the baseline is 10-20 million dollar post-conversions that sorta just wear off after 10 minutes anyway.

There wasnt any ghosting or tearing if im using these terms correctly. It seems a lot of 3D movies have a hard time dealing with really fast paced action. This was totally the opposite. I really enjoyed what I was looking at.

And look guys, if you want to turn your brain off and enjoy a summer blockbuster with AMAZING VISUALS and devastating destruction then this is easily a 9 - 9.5. If you go in thinking its more than that then be prepared to be disappointed. It worth seeing just for the visuals, trust me guys. Your hype is pretty accurate for that aspect of the film. It's great. Which is why I want to see it again.

Dahbomb

I just have one question.

Is there a Dark Knight style epilogue near the end where they work in "Man of Steel" into it? Like how Gordon ends by saying "Dark Knight".

And of course spoiler tag it out of courtesy.

Eh, Cavill's delivery here is atrocious. Something about the CG just seems... off, as well.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice. But to be honest, talking to Zod about how his parents helped after smashing him through buildings in itself seems quite odd. Superman here is actually narrating to the audience what is happening to Zod as he takes off his mask. So whilst the delivery was questionable, I'm not sure he had much to work with considering the lines he had to read

Sent

And look guys, if you want to turn your brain off and enjoy a summer blockbuster with AMAZING VISUALS and devastating destruction then this is easily a 9 - 9.5. If you go in thinking its more than that then be prepared to be disappointed. It worth seeing just for the visuals, trust me guys. Your hype is pretty accurate for that aspect of the film. It's great. Which is why I want to see it again.

I agree with Fox 100% in most of what he's said before. If you want action this has it in spades. If you go back over the whole movie and try to critique it you'll find plenty of pot holes. It's not a perfect movie, it's a good launching pad.

Faora is in beast mode every time she's on the screen. You think that little clip with the knife is anything for her? Nope.

Psykoboy2

thanks! I would've been annoyed to have waited the extra 10-15min for all the credits for nothing.

Purely personal preference but I stay for the credits at every film I enjoy just out of respect for all the people who worked on it. That's just me though.

Toa TAK

Banned
I agree with Fox 100% in most of what he's said before. If you want action this has it in spades. If you go back over the whole movie and try to critique it you'll find plenty of pot holes. It's not a perfect movie, it's a good launching pad.

So in time, this will probably be looked back on like TDKR?

I hope not. I like that movie.

Dahbomb

MoS still has 10x better action than any Batman movie. I am sure the pay off in the end would be better than that shitty fisticuff fight Bane and Batman had at the end of DKR.

And I am a big Batman/TDK/BB fan.

I'll stay through the credits probably for the music. But I'm a score nerd.

Dahbomb: No, there's no post-credits scene.

Here's something to think about for those hyped beyond hype - what do you actually WANT out of the movie? If your answer is "something more than a movie" then stop. Because even at its BEST - it's just going to be a movie. Even if its the best Superman movie that's ever existed, it's still just a movie. It's 2 1/2 hours of your time that you spent 10-12 bucks to watch on a weekend.

It's not a horse you're betting on, it's not a little leaguer you raised. It's not a competition. Just a movie.

With Superman in it :)

Top Bottom