• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Dahbomb

I wasn't asking for a post credit scene, I was talking about a character monologue ending with or incorporating "Man of Steel" in to it. Would be a nice nod to TDK.

Here's what I want out of the movie:

*Solid acting by the cast. It doesn't need to be Oscar caliber but it should be competent.

*Decent to good script. I am not looking for Tarantino level stuff here but I also don't want Prometheus level garbage.

*Story and mythos/world building that does justice to the Superman legacy.

*Portray Superman as a character you can root for and someone you want to triumph. Very difficult to do IMO simply because of how powerful Superman is you want him defeated first which is more shocking than hin winning at times.

*Solid effects and cinematography. I don't want Wolverine Origins again.

*And as the title suggests... it's about action. I want that shit all over my face.

Metalmarc

I'll stay through the credits probably for the music. But I'm a score nerd.

Dahbomb: No, there's no post-credits scene.

Here's something to think about for those hyped beyond hype - what do you actually WANT out of the movie? If your answer is "something more than a movie" then stop. Because even at its BEST - it's just going to be a movie. Even if its the best Superman movie that's ever existed, it's still just a movie. It's 2 1/2 hours of your time that you spent 10-12 bucks to watch on a weekend.

It's not a horse you're betting on, it's not a little leaguer you raised. It's not a competition. Just a movie.

With Superman in it :)

What you saying is it doesn't live up to the hype, and its just a good movie, nothing more nothing less?

fallingdove

fcas60ngxo7.gif

Too awesome.

-Kees-

I always stay for the credits. Even when I watch at home something that I've seen multiple times. It's often because of the score or a song though. I've seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford about 6 times and it has this track about halfway through the credits that isn't used in the movie that I love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9_9_TpdPo

Antje Traue has gone from largely unknown to everyones new crush with each successive trailer. Myself included.

Symphonic

Here's something to think about for those hyped beyond hype - what do you actually WANT out of the movie? If your answer is "something more than a movie" then stop. Because even at its BEST - it's just going to be a movie. Even if its the best Superman movie that's ever existed, it's still just a movie. It's 2 1/2 hours of your time that you spent 10-12 bucks to watch on a weekend.

It's not a horse you're betting on, it's not a little leaguer you raised. It's not a competition. Just a movie.

Early 2000s Zimmer or Inception Zimmer?

MoS still has 10x better action than any Batman movie
Yes
I am sure the pay off in the end would be better than that shitty fisticuff fight Bane and Batman had at the end of DKR.

And I am a big Batman/TDK/BB fan.

My main problem with rises. I don't think you'll be disappointed with MoS.

Not spoiling the ending AT ALL just reiterating that
it's controversial so I expect people not to like the implications of what happens BUT I loved the "Oh SH*T!" aspect of it

LosDaddie

Banned
The end credits thing should probably go in the OP, at least 5 people have asked about it already.

Yup. I agree with this. And it should be near the top.

Purely personal preference but I stay for the credits at every film I enjoy just out of respect for all the people who worked on it. That's just me though.

I get that, but I feel I do the same by paying to watch the movie, and if it's good enough, buying the movie on Blu-ray. I'm no film buff, though.

Dead

well not really...yet
I agree with Fox 100% in most of what he's said before. If you want action this has it in spades. If you go back over the whole movie and try to critique it you'll find plenty of pot holes.
Dat Chris Nolan influence

What you saying is it doesn't live up to the hype, and its just a good movie, nothing more nothing less?

I haven't seen the movie. But even if it's a GREAT movie - it's still just a movie.

The undercurrent I'm seeing so far is that some people have allowed "hype" to translate to "expectation" which is a bar that is now set around a level that movies simply almost never hit, because even the BEST films don't cause that much impact on a persons life - unless you're the people MAKING that movie.

Then there's the people who are championing the movie the way a bettor would champion a horse, or a boxer, and they're watching, stomach all knotted up, because they need the movie to "WIN" somehow, as if there's a competition going on.

Neither of those scenarios allow for the movie to just be a movie, and tell its story, and be a contained piece of filmmaking. The first puts a huge amount of importance and weight on a 2 1/2 hour story about a dude from outer space in a suit made of recycled basketballs punching douchebags into trains. The 2nd puts almost the same amount of importance on the movie as the first, except they care more about whether they "Win" by proxy than anything else.

Neither of those scenarios helps make the movie any better when you finally sit down to watch it.

Anticipation is one thing. Excitement is another. Expectation - that's where shit gets touchy.

And yeah, thread title isn't very good, and the explanation doesn't really help, either (a reference to a DC comic that isn't even one of Superman's best stories), but Hero audibled at the line of scrimmage, whaddya gonna do?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yes

My main problem with rises. I don't think you'll be disappointed with MoS.

Not spoiling the ending AT ALL just reiterating that
it's controversial so I expect people not to like the implications of what happens BUT I loved the "Oh SH*T!" aspect of it

this has me hyped

Um no, he's explaining to Zod what he's done. Because Zod asked nicely.

I hate that they always have to explain everything, like the audience is too stupid to figure it out. I gathered that it was him seeing without filters easily enough, I didn't need the exposition. The lowest common denominator strikes again!

pel1300

I hate that they always have to explain everything, like the audience is too stupid to figure it out. I gathered that it was him seeing without filters easily enough, I didn't need the exposition. The lowest common denominator strikes again!

so you gathered something that Superman's father taught him instantly just like that?

give me a break.

Raptor

so you gathered something that Superman's father taught him instantly just like that?

give me a break.

We don't know anything, I mean I need at least some explanation for that scene, it could be a virus, a genetic impediment, his eyes are mesed up, the explosion fucked his head.

I needed that Supes to explain me WTF was Zod experiencing.

Ashhong

Yeah? It was readily apparent with the different bands of light and the, "what did you do to me?" line. Maybe I'm just a bigger nerd? :)

Exactly. You are a bigger nerd. The movie watching population is probably not as big of a nerd, and therefore needs explanations. I for one did not know what was going on with him. Thought it was his suit or something.

Tugatrix

Guys isn't that obvious,
that Zod is not used to the yellow sun powers? Something that Superman learn from Martha and Pa Kent (go back and see the second trailer), he learned to focus his powers of seeing and hearing. Zod in that armour is shelter from that, no armour and his senses become overwhelmed.

I put it in spoilers just for the sake of maybe being right

ReiGun

All I want is an enjoyable Superman movie from modern times. The story doesn't have to be perfect, but at least decent with nice emotional beats. Having heard so much of the music already, I have high hopes for the score.

I have a feeling like this is going to be nitpicked to death like the Batman films, namely TDKR. Not that Tdkr didn't deserve it; shit is messy.

ZeroAlpha

Banned
For those who have seen it will this movie finally convince people that superman isn't boring?
This is coming from someone who is a comic fan and does not consider him boring at all.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wish I could see this early like I did with The Dark Knight Rises. Instead, seeing it early morning on the 15th, but still with a Warner Bros crowd.

So damn excited. I haven't seen a blockbuster movie in theaters since Skyfall.

Toa TAK

Banned
All I want is an enjoyable Superman movie from modern times. The story doesn't have to be perfect, but at least decent with nice emotional beats. Having heard so much of the music already, I have high hopes for the score.

I have a feeling like this is going to be nitpicked to death like the Batman films, namely TDKR. Not that Tdkr didn't deserve it; shit is messy.

TDKR will always be one of my favorites.

Also, this music...

For those who have seen it will this movie finally convince people that superman isn't boring?
This is coming from someone who is a comic fan and does not consider him boring at all.

You'd have a hard time arguing that the movie is boring. I think the majority of people are going to like it, if my conversation with people afterwards is any indication.

Dude, Zod didn't know what was going on. Superman had the upper hand and quite smugly explained it to him. It was not just plain exposition to the audience. Man, some of the criticisms here are already ridiculous.

Well the only easter eggs I saw, and again there's a lot to take in so I could of missed some mentions, was
the Wayne Tech logo on a satellite and LexCorp on the building and tanker.

Two questions Simo, watching this movie, do you think warner bros is capable of making Justice League at last? And by Warner Bros I mean, if the Snyder-Nolan team is making the JL movie in the end.

Did it made story sense changing Jimmy Olsen to Jenny Olsen in the movie? or she doesnt appear to much to be talked about her?

Eidan

I think I'm looking for something that can stand toe to toe with the best Superman narratives. Something along the lines of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", or "For the Man Who Has Everything".

ZeroAlpha

Banned
You'd have a hard time arguing that the movie is boring. I think the majority of people are going to like it, if my conversation with people afterwards is any indication.

That's good to hear! I do want the movie to do well DC does not always get it right unfortunately and this time they really need to.

Im a fan of Snyder style of movie making and the character so i'm pretty sure i'm going to love it.

That's good to hear! I do want the movie to do well DC does not always get it right unfortunately and this time they really need to.

Im a fan of Snyder style of movie making and the character so i'm pretty sure i'm going to love it.

Yeah... But I don't think anyone will ever rewatch it for anything other than the visuals.

Sent

The movie isn't boring, it's probably too much for it's own good actually. It never gives you a break. People saying they were almost exhausted are right.

Exactly. You are a bigger nerd. The movie watching population is probably not as big of a nerd, and therefore needs explanations. I for one did not know what was going on with him. Thought it was his suit or something.

I've been a fan of Superman for so long that I know he can see different wavelengths and basically has to focus. (Plus it was in one of the earliest trailers).

And it was his suit, or lack of, so you were right in a way.
Dude, Zod didn't know what was going on. Superman had the upper hand and quite smugly explained it to him. It was not just plain exposition to the audience. Man, some of the criticisms here are already ridiculous.

Not harshing on the movie, just exposition in general.

The movie isn't boring, it's probably too much for it's own good actually. It never gives you a break. People saying they were almost exhausted are right.

Is the non visual/action part of the film compelling? The trailers seem to place a lot of emphasis on Clark's development and inner search. Did you find that angle of the film to be better than what the genre usually churns in terms of origin stories?

Tizoc

MY BODY IS READY!

Trying to find a good image of Superman (current movie or comics, or fanart) to make an avatar of but so far no luck finding one I like =P.

Sent

Is the non visual/action part of the film compelling? The trailers seem to place a lot of emphasis on Clark's development and inner search. Did you find that angle of the film to be better than what the genre usually churns in terms of origin stories?

It felt a little watered down compared to other origin stories. Iron Man and Batman Begins did it a little better. It was just in the way it was presented. It's not linear and I could've used more time spent on it directly.

Top Bottom