• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Blader

I don't think I was necessarily doing any of those things but Blader chimed in saying I was acting like a tool. However I do think one issue is that I wrote all my in depth take on the film already in the spoiler thread and there it included all my problems with the film.

Here I am trying to contribute in a non-spoiler way and offset the early negative buzz about the film in saying it is definitely worth watching, at least once if only to form your own opinion, but that relying solely on critics' reviews to avoid it would be sad to me. I have feels for you, random Internet stranger who is reading this.

Sorry for sounding like a dick about it, maybe I got too heated, I just think its intellectually dishonest to argue that not liking this movie must mean you're too cynical or "above it all" to enjoy fun summer movies when that's clearly not true.

3N16MA

Banned
Where the film faltered was the building of Clark as a person before he puts on the cape. The flashbacks to his childhood are great and some of the best moments in the film but they're just snippets, you can't sink your teeth into them. This would have been fine if we learned more about Clark as an adult and how he is dealing with is odd place in the world. However we get a drifter who does not say much or reveal much about himself just going from place to place until he puts on the cape. That makes sense if he wants to be left alone and not draw attention but it also blocks the audience from knowing much about him. Halfway into the film and Clark now seems empty and boring outside of some revealing moments from his childhood. With the more serious tone taken in the film, you would think we would have seen deeper into Clark as an adult and not relied purely on flashbacks for any kind of emotional insight. Batman Begins and Iron Man are two films that come to mind that do a better job of building the man before the superhero.

I don't get the complaints about the action being generic or heavy handed. It's a bunch of aliens with advanced weaponry and much greater physical ability than humans. Things are going to get destroyed and blown up when they decide to attack. What I did have a problem with is Superman being oblivious to his surroundings and the civilian population. He did not even try to take the fight to a less populated area or have any concern for collateral damage. That being said the action sequences were well done if you want to sense the power that is possessed by Kryptonians.

Adams, Crowe, Lane, Costner, Traue, and Shannon were all great in their roles and excellent choices.

Sorry for sounding like a dick about it, maybe I got too heated, I just think its intellectually dishonest to argue that not liking this movie must mean you're too cynical or "above it all" to enjoy fun summer movies when that's clearly not true.
If you want to know the truth man, it was a slightly facetious and jokey comment in trying to come up with a reason for the mixed reviews and the success of the film. I don't know all the reasons why the critics didn't like it as I haven't read a whole bunch of reviews, just getting the vibes from these discussions and my impression of the film.

Now that we're past it and have kissed and made up, let's go watch the movie together!

BadAss2961

Show him at least trying to move the combat to other areas. Show him trying to save people amidst all the fighting.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but isn't this Superman in his early days? I could overlook the collateral damage since he's still just coming into his own... Like that one chase scene in Batman Begins where Bats could've killed a bunch of cops with his actions, but luckily no one was killed.

Superman can evolve and improve on damage control in the sequel.

Ahasverus

Boring? Cavill boring? NOOO. Routh was boring, Reeves is boring right now, Clark is charismatic light hearted a little immature and completely charming.

Raptor

Keep in mind I said "superhero movie"

For me there is not a Superhero movie better than this, Batman Begins is a better movie but not a better superhero movie to me.

This was straight up a comic book brought to life.

Snyder can do that, Watchmen was almost a carbon copy page to the big screen superhero movie lols.

I love both movies to death.

Then again I like dark not full of jokes movies so Im a little biased and the fact that Im a Superman fanboy :p

JB1981

Where the film faltered was the building of Clark as a person before he puts on the cape. The flashbacks to his childhood are great and some of the best moments in the film but they're just snippets, you can't sink your teeth into them. This would have been fine if we learned more about Clark as an adult and how he is dealing with is odd place in the world. However we get a drifter who does not say much or reveal much about himself just going from place to place until he puts on the cape. That makes sense if he wants to be left alone and not draw attention but it also blocks the audience from knowing much about him. Halfway into the film and Clark now seems empty and boring outside of some revealing moments from his childhood. With the more serious tone taken in the film, you would think we would have seen deeper into Clark as an adult and not relied purely on flashbacks for any kind of emotional insight. Batman Begins and Iron Man are two films that come to mind that do a better job of building the man before the superhero.

Adams, Crowe, Lane, Costner, Traue, and Shannon were all great in their roles and excellent choices.

I agree and I lay the blame squarely on the script and editing. Snyder nailed the emotional scenes that were there, as infrequent as they were. I actually found the direction to be pretty good overall, it's just the scattershot narrative that keeps the movie down.

I'm seeing this again in IMAX, and maybe again in the dollar theatres, and then I will buy the special edition Blu-Ray.

I loved this film.

The action was good in the movie but just like others, I have issues about the amount of damage being caused. Basically levelled the whole place. Attempt to move away or something. Of course the final fight also had me raise my eyebrows.
Mandarin levels bizarre.

Did not like Lois. Again. I think the actress is fine, it's the way they always write the character. Please, keep shouting Clark's real name as if noone else is around. Please just get in the way. Please add nothing to the movie... it was annoying.

I would have preferred there to be slightly more thought into the suit. Essentially it was "Here's our under garments. Enjoy.", whereas Birthright actually has a decent way to bring the suit in.

It's an enjoyable movie and I actually liked the cutting back and forth to flesh out his growth to an adult, but I just felt the movie was a bit dumb. However, I'm hoping they use
Lex
to add some intelligence to a a sequel.

Also gotta say, heat vision looked pretty awesome in this.

jett

D-Member
I do wish the movie lingered on some shots more. It's no coincidence that one of the best moments of the movie is Superman floating above the military. It's like holy shit wow this is awesome.

Boring? Cavill boring? NOOO. Routh was boring, Reeves is boring right now, Clark is charismatic light hearted a little immature and completely charming.
Agree, I loved Cavill as Clark. Easily now my favorite rendition on screen.

At first, upon seeing him in initial posters and trailers, I just wasn't sure how it would go because of how different I thought he looked compared to Supermans in the past from any medium. Now I can't imagine it another way, I loved Reeves but Cavill is just taking over the image for me.

I just loved his performance as each persona of the infamous Clark Kent.

Someday I'm going to face the battle of naming my child's first and middle name Clark Kent. It wouldn't be new in my family as my older cousin's first and middle name is Bruce Wayne.

3N16MA

Banned
I do wish the movie lingered on some shots more. It's no coincidence that one of the best moments of the movie is Superman floating above the military. It's like holy shit wow this is awesome.

Glad to see that scene stood out to other viewers. I loved seeing him floating like that and the military had that "holy shit there is a guy floating in the air" look.

Did not like Lois. Again. I think the actress is fine, it's the way they always write the character. Please, keep shouting Clark's real name as if noone else is around. Please just get in the way. Please add nothing to the movie... it was annoying.

I'm imagining the scriptwriters crying at this because they did pretty much everything to tie Lois closely to the plot and Clark himself, yet you still have this kind of complaint.

Let's see:
-They made her the person who found Clark
-They made her (pretty much) Clark's first human contact as his alien self
-They made her the catalyst for Clark's decision to trust humans (she didn't betray him)
-They (clumsily) made her part of the give the boot to Zod and save Earth plan
-They put her there when Clark was devastated by the 'oh snap' moment

duckroll

I'm really glad for Snyder that he's willing to compromise as much as he did here to explore a new style of filmmaking for himself. I think he still lacks patience and subtlety and the content here required more than the experience he has, but it's a good step forward. If he continues to mature his style, marrying his eye for visuals with the ability to visually tell a compelling story at a good pace will be something really fantastic.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I agree that the editing was not good, some of the transitions between scenes felt very jarring because of this.

8.4 on imdb is pretty high. I'll probably go down to 8.1 as more votes go in but that's still high.

Cross-posting this from spoiler thread, but only watch this behind-the-scenes featurette if you have already seen the movie.

It's 13 minutes long and I think it would spoil way too much of the movie if you hadn't watched it yet. You have to wait through the ad but I think it's worth it, really good for after movie viewing.

So SPOILER alert for the link.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/06/15/michael-shannon-man-of-steel-movie/2418153/

Btw the video has nothing to do with the article it's placed with regarding Michael Shannon and Zod, don't know why it's even on this page. I watched it accidentally not even knowing it was a thing, it just played on its own.

It's made like a special sneak peek kind of thing and doesn't really go into the story or anything, but it just shows too much footage, way more and "clearer" than any of the trailers with their quick cuts, that I highly recommend not watching it until after seeing the movie once.

This could go on the home release and I wouldn't be surprised if parts of this or an extended version is.

MisterHero

I'm really glad for Snyder that he's willing to compromise as much as he did here to explore a new style of filmmaking for himself. I think he still lacks patience and subtlety and the content here required more than the experience he has, but it's a good step forward. If he continues to mature his style, marrying his eye for visuals with the ability to visually tell a compelling story at a good pace will be something really fantastic.
Maybe someone with directorial knowledge can answer this for me.

Was it feasible for Snyder to maintain the "hand-held" feeling while doing it in 3D? I'm indifferent to most 3D movies, but this one REALLY should have used it. Superman's abilities give us the perfect reason to try it.

How was
young Clark experiencing X-ray vision
in 3D? That was a great scene for giving kids nightmares. :D

duckroll

Maybe someone with directorial knowledge can answer this for me.

Was it feasible for Snyder to maintain the "hand-held" feeling while doing it in 3D? I'm indifferent to most 3D movies, but this one REALLY should have used it. Superman's abilities give us the perfect reason to try it.

It should be possible. 3D camera tech is advancing rapidly and they're not IMAX camera monsters. The director of photography on Man of Steel is Amir Mokri, the same guy who shot TF3 for Michael Bay (which was shot in 3D, and also had a bunch of handheld camera scenes). Not shooting it in 3D was a choice by the team. Maybe because of costs? I dunno.

Ohwiseone

So I'm here in line. Movie starts at 3:20 and the line is starting to wrap. It's a good 500+ theater so getting a good seat I'm not worried.

What sucks is that a regular theater is showing the 2-D version and they have not shut the doors so I am hearing sound effects and dialogue..and I think it's the end of the movie too :/

Anyway, I will give my impressions later-on. I am excited.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Show him at least trying to move the combat to other areas. Show him trying to save people amidst all the fighting.

He saved multiple people when he could. You can't save everyone when you're busy fighting people just as powerful as Supes is. How exactly is he supposed to move the fighting to other areas? Fly away and say"Yo Zod and crew, can we go somewhere else please? This is getting a bit crowded. Thanks guys". No. He protected the people he could and saved the people he could in between fighting the bad guys. He did what he had to.

Keep in mind I said "superhero movie"

For me there is not a Superhero movie better than this, Batman Begins is a better movie but not a better superhero movie to me.

This was straight up a comic book brought to life.

Snyder can do that, Watchmen was almost a carbon copy page to the big screen superhero movie lols.

I love both movies to death.

Then again I like dark not full of jokes movies so Im a little biased and the fact that Im a Superman fanboy :p

Exactly how I feel. It was a moving graphic novel and as a fanboy I loved it on Superman. It's too difficult to bring him into context otherwise

He saved multiple people when he could. You can't save everyone when you're busy fighting people just as powerful as Supes is. How exactly is he supposed to move the fighting to other areas? Fly away and say"Yo Zod and crew, can we go somewhere else please? This is getting a bit crowded. Thanks guys". No. He protected the people he could and saved the people he could in between fighting the bad guys. He did what he had to.

that's the thing people don't realize he didn't dictate the fights.
The one time he tried to do so he took Zod in space but Zod took him back down right?

Dahbomb

Singer could make a respectable Superman movie with a good script and all tethers to the Donner Superman universe cut. I would be interested in that movie.

Lebron

Dat first Flight scene (dat Birthright nod)

Dat Flight score

Dat very brief All-Star pose

Dat Faora fight

Dat Everything

I joined him in the sun, and it was good. He forgave me for my earlier doubts.

cdkee

Banned
Did anyone else see Christopher Reeve right when Cavill looks up and
is about to fly into the world engine?
I swear I saw him there, and I'm not sure if I was seeing things or if that was intentional.

strafer

itUp8Z464wxVV.gif

Did anyone else see Christopher Reeve right when Cavill looks up and
is about to fly into the world engine?
I swear I saw him there, and I'm not sure if I was seeing things or if that was intentional.

Thought the same thing. It was a great shot/nod. Wasnt actually him I think though.

Jamie OD

I did not like it. An unsteady camera for almost the entire movie along with the jarring flashbacks bothered me throughout. The plot is fine, I just think the movie was badly made.

FUCK the ciritcs. Fuck them all. I'm sorry but this movie is insanely good. I had high exxpectations but they've somehow all been exceeded. One of my favourite Superhero movies EVER. Certainly the best Superman movie. Better than any Marvel movie I've ever seen. Pretty much the only superhero movies that might be better are the Nolan Batman movies. Loved it. Dat action.

The cast was great. For once I actually liked a Lois Lane on film. I HATE Kidder and the one from Returns was just meh. Amy Adams is cool. Shannon killed it as Zod and daaaaaaamn at Faora. I have huge nostalgia for Terrance Stamp but honestly I loved Shannon's version. Intense. Cavill did a solid job as supes. Much better than Ralph. Ralph will not be missed.

So yeah, super impressed with this movie. It's almost enough to make be forget about the horror of Superman Returns and Ralph. Suck it Ralph.

Agreed. I honestly can't comprehend some of the reviews. I dislike Supes as a character, always have, and I felt this was phenomenal. Everything worked for me here. I can see why the jump cuts to his childhood didn't for some people, as it felt very "panel to panel" in a comic book sense, but that's part of why I liked it so much. I do wonder if some people just have origin fatigue in general that might play into it. All I know is this made me like Superman more than the Donner movies ever did and certainly more than Returns.

edit: One more thing. I love how you FELT everything in this film.

Top Bottom