• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Kamek

I really liked the idea of the
disjointed chronology so we could see the origin story interspersed with the main story line.

I just feel like we didn't get enough satisfaction for it. We didn't get to see him develop really between being a kid and being an adult aside from the one scene where his father dies.

A solid 7/10 from me, but as many have said before. This seems like the set up for something bigger and more realized.

duckroll

I really liked the idea of the
disjointed chronology so we could see the origin story interspersed with the main story line.

I just feel like we didn't get enough satisfaction for it. We didn't get to see him develop really between being a kid and being an adult aside from the one scene where his father dies.

A solid 7/10 from me, but as many have said before. This seems like the set up for something bigger and more realized.

I do like the concept of it. It's really the execution which feels underwhelming. The poor editing made everything feel disjointed and wavering instead of having a tight focus and clear direction. Non-linear narrative is great when it's effective. Here it was cumbersome. :(

Dave_6

Ehh...

The movie depicted the battlefield as mostly barren of civilians, at least to me, and 90% of the damage was inflicted by the World Engine. It didn't really come across to me that Superman's actions themselves were killing thousands of peoples. At that point, him and Zod were essentially fighting on scorched earth. I don't at all feel that it trivializes the moment that comes at the end...

This, this right here is the same thing I've been saying.

Can I ask a general question about superman, not necessarily about this movie?

When does Superman become Superman (the suit, saving people, protecting Metropolis)? Does this happen when he's already an established reporter with the Daily Planet? Or does he arrive at Metropolis fully comfortable with his identity? I don't watch Smallville so I can't recall the details from that.

Can I ask a general question about superman, not necessarily about this movie?

When does Superman become Superman (the suit, saving people, protecting Metropolis)? Does this happen when he's already an established reporter with the Daily Planet? Or does he arrive at Metropolis fully comfortable with his identity? I don't watch Smallville so I can't recall the details from that.

depends on who is telling the story.

Ridley327

I do like the concept of it. It's really the execution which feels underwhelming. The poor editing made everything feel disjointed and wavering instead of having a tight focus and clear direction. Non-linear narrative is great when it's effective. Here it was cumbersome. :(

It's the film's biggest flaw; it's definitely got Nolan's hands all over it, but Goyer and he couldn't make it work like they thought it would. I mentioned in my review about a desire to see how the film would play if they went linear with the progression of the story, but with the way they structure the scenes in which the flashbacks happen, I feel like it wouldn't work out well at all. The foundation is too rotten, so to speak.

Vortex566

Not sure why people would not like this film. I was in awe of Superman the whole film. It's the first time in a film about a super hero, that I've felt they really were super.

I think people are really misunderstanding the final scene. All those buildings looked completely empty and destroyed already to me.
It looked that way to me too, and i thought as much in the theater....but then they show people hanging around while the battle is going on. I dont know if it was during the parking garage or the office building but it was clear after that that where they were fighting wasnt empty.

MisterHero

Is there a chance that
she isn't dead and that wormhole just took her someplace else? Possibly somewhere were Brainiac might find her?

Loved the movie! Definitely a solid 8.5/10

Going to go see it on Wednesday again.
We don't know
the nature of the Phantom Zone. Krypton used a ship to fly into it the first time. Their ship is badly breached when they're pulled in the 2nd time.

They might become ghosts though!

Poor Col. Hardy and Prof. Hamilton might still be alive too
:(

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I remember Faora being criticized for a stiff performance.

Even if true, it just makes her sound tougher. :)

She is literally stiff because she plays it that way. She's like a goddamn machine built to fuck stuff up. You know these big "hero" shots of character standing around like bosses and looking like the meanest mothers ever? Shit, Faora was like that ALL THE TIME.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The kryptonian armor is so badass, major props to the costume design team they really nailed it. The holographic helmet is just too cool.

Is there a chance that
she isn't dead and that wormhole just took her someplace else? Possibly somewhere were Brainiac might find her?

That would be awesome....

I hope we don't see a Lex as the next villain, i would love to see Brainiac, I always thought Lex on his own is a weak villain...

MisterHero

She is literally stiff because she plays it that way. She's like a goddamn machine built to fuck stuff up. You know these big "hero" shots of character standing around like bosses and looking like the meanest mothers ever? Shit, Faora was like that ALL THE TIME.
I know, right?

We were robbed of a
Faora knife fight
though!

Error

That would be awesome....

I hope we don't see a Lex as the next villain, i would love to see Brainiac, I always thought Lex on his own is a weak villain...

Lex is the logical next step, we already got the physical threat in the kryptonians in MoS now Supes has to deal with a more psychological threat and thats what Lex can provide.

MisterHero

Faora's armor was real.

faora-02vuri5.jpg

fritolay

Thinking about the movie more, I was disappointed in it, however I am excited about how it setup sequels. I am looking forward to the next movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
You will not win my heart.

No matter how violent or cruel, every action I take is for the good of us.

The Kryptonian Dubstep

Dat music. I liked dug the Alien aspect of the movie. <3
Zimmer nailed the score. Of course, critics think the opposite.

seeing her just dominate superman the whole time was the best thing

the best thing

That had to be the most intense thing to ever happen in an iHop.

SimleuqiR

Lex is the logical next step, we already got the physical threat in the kryptonians in MoS now Supes has to deal with a more psychological threat and thats what Lex can provide.

It can be both you know.

luthoriac.jpg

And Lex doesn't even have to die at the end - which is great as he can have some role in a future JL story arc.

I can also see Martian Manhunter showing up in MOS2 as the link to a JL movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
edit: @SimleuqiR response, you read my mind.

Faora's armor was real.

faora-02vuri5.jpg
Damn haha. Can't imagine how hot it must have gotten filming a physically intense role, under sunlight, for long periods of time. A trooper I say

Now she's a Legend.

So awesome, loved what they did for TDKR trailer, too.

Thanks a lot guys for the spoilers.

I didnt wanna know that.

The sooner these threads mesh the better.

Error

I need to watch this movie again but my top 5 superhero films

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Iron Man 1
4. Avengers
5. Man of Steel

honorable mention: X-Men 2.

MisterHero

It was neat to hear Delany delivering Adams's lines.

It can be both you know.

luthoriac.jpg
DCAU Lex and Brainiac relationship was epic as hell. My favorite part was early on though. Brainiac forced him to build a body, and Lex got hungry and Brainac only let him eat candy bars. Lex saw his reflection in the wrapper and realized the trouble he'd gotten into. :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I need to watch this movie again but my top 5 superhero films

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Iron Man 1
4. Avengers
5. Man of Steel

honorable mention: X-Men 2.

I don't know if anything will top Rocketeer for my favorite comic film.

Top Bottom