• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

It's the film's biggest flaw; it's definitely got Nolan's hands all over it, but Goyer and he couldn't make it work like they thought it would. I mentioned in my review about a desire to see how the film would play if they went linear with the progression of the story, but with the way they structure the scenes in which the flashbacks happen, I feel like it wouldn't work out well at all. The foundation is too rotten, so to speak.

I'll just say that I think making it linear would have been of total detriment to the film.

AoM

Just saw it. So amazing. Don't understand RT. Some thoughts:

- the Krypton section was awesome
- I was really surprised at the amount of humor
- Faora was amazing
- The action was SO good.
When Superman and Zod were dueling while flying, it reminded me so much of Neo vs. Agent Smith lol
Also,
favorite action scenes were when he destroyed the world machine and when he protected his mom from Zod.. so much emotion
- all the actors were perfect for their roles (surprised some people are disappointed with Shannon's performance)

Really can't wait for the next movie.

MisterHero

My list for comic book films. Aside from the obvious groups, they're listed in the order of favorites.

God Tier
Fleischer Superman
Superman I/II
Batman 1989/Returns
Spider-Man 2
The Dark Knight
>>Man of Steel<<
The Avengers
Iron Man 1
The Incredibles
Watchmen
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Robocop 1
Unbreakable

Awesome Tier
Batman Begins/The Dark Knight Rises
Spider-Man 1
The Rocketeer
X-Men First Class
X2
X-Men 1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1
Men in Black 1
Hellboy II

Cool Tier
Iron Man 3
Superman Returns
Hellboy I
Sin City
The Mask of Zorro
The Mask
The Phantom
Judge Dredd
Batman 1966
Batman Forever
Spider-Man 3
Daredevil
Men in Black III
X-Men 3
TMNT 2K7
The Punisher (Thomas Jane)
Ghost Rider
Megamind
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Popeye
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2/3
Kick-Ass

Depression tier
Fantastic Four
X-Men Wolverine
Iron Man 2
Men in Black II
Fantastic Four: Silver Surfer
Superman III/IV
Catwoman
Elektra
Batman & Robin
Those Captain America TV movies
The Spirit

Poo tier
Green Lantern

I've seen too many movies, and yet it's only one genre. :/

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
lmao ouch Superman Returns doesn't even make MisterHero's list.

Below Poo tier it seems.

Superman, Jor-El, Zods group, and the Kents are all likeable.

Problem with the film is literally every scene involving anyone else besides the above seemed like a complete waste of time and energy. The force fed empathy for the military and daily planet roster was a complete joke.

Lois was a negative, but I think that's just an inherent flaw in the character. Lois Lane is basically an annoying reporter and meant to be a cliché damsel in distress/romantic interest, and neither of those is particularly interesting no matter what way you want to spin it (actress, medium, whatever).

I actually think the movie might have been much better if Lois and the Daily Planet didn't even come into the picture until the sequel. A movie full of just Zods group, the Kents, and Supes would have been much better paced.

no Lois? ou tripping, Adams was feisty and tough, she did a good job.

Can I ask a general question about superman, not necessarily about this movie?

When does Superman become Superman (the suit, saving people, protecting Metropolis)? Does this happen when he's already an established reporter with the Daily Planet? Or does he arrive at Metropolis fully comfortable with his identity? I don't watch Smallville so I can't recall the details from that.

more or less in his 20s after travelling the world and finding out more about his heritage. in this movie they made him a bit older when he becomes Superman

Is there a chance that
she isn't dead and that wormhole just took her someplace else? Possibly somewhere were Brainiac might find her?

Loved the movie! Definitely a solid 8.5/10

Going to go see it on Wednesday again.

yeah they didn't die, they got pulled in but who knows what else is in the Phantom zone... maybe a Daxamite or an advanced A.I....

Ridley327

I'll just say that I think making it linear would have been of total detriment to the film.

It probably would be with how things are in the film now, which prompted my comment on the foundation of the script. I think that Nolan and Goyer got too into telling the story differently from how it went down in Donner's film that they didn't really check to see if it was going to work.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
None of the Blade films made it.

True, some other comics films like the Amazing Spider-man didn't make it either and Spidey 3 is missing lol

The Crow isn't listed :(

MisterHero, I'd put Returns under the depression tier. Nothing cool about that film :( But to each their own.

MisterHero

Robocop isn't a comic-book movie. Technically, neither is The Incredibles (although it is definitely God tier)
Comic books and/or superheroes. For some reason I tied it to Frank Miller, who wrote a screenplay for Robocop 2.

Damnit I forgot about 300 and Sin City.

and paying to see The Spirit

Matrix

Comic books and/or superheroes. For some reason I tied it to Frank Miller, who wrote a screenplay Robocop 2.

So many comic book films now. It's kinda overwhelming to remember them all right away.

Comic books and/or superheroes. For some reason I tied it to Frank Miller, who wrote a screenplay Robocop 2.

No, no, you did that right. You're supposed to forget you did that. It never happened. You're remembering wrong. You never paid to see that movie. Trust me.

Blader

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Spider-Man 2
The Avengers
X2
Scott Pilgrim
Iron Man
Watchmen
The Incredibles

Something like that.

3N16MA

Banned
5dZY8Yp.jpg
gDrE0Pl.jpg

Which one of you is going to drop $380 on this?

JB1981

It probably would be with how things are in the film now, which prompted my comment on the foundation of the script. I think that Nolan and Goyer got too into telling the story differently from how it went down in Donner's film that they didn't really check to see if it was going to work.

Yes they glossed over pivotal moments in the development of the character. The Batman Begins-style non-linear storytelling device didnt really work this time. It might have worked if Nolan was the director but Snyder wasnt up to the task. Snyder did however wrangle out some pretty emotional scenes and is a much better action filmmaker than Nolan.

Blader

Yes they glossed over pivotal moments in the development of the character. The Batman Begins-style non-linear storytelling device didnt really work this time. It might have worked if Nolan was the director but Snyder wasnt up to the task. Snyder did however wrangle out some pretty emotional scenes and is a much better action filmmaker than Nolan.

The problem with aping the Batman Begins flashback style is that Snyder/Goyer forgot that the flashbacks in BB happen before Bruce becomes Batman; his whole character is established before Bruce returns to Gotham and starts crimefighting. The flashbacks in Man of Steel happen throughout the whole movie, so Clark's character is nowhere near established by the time he
speaks to Jor-El and gets the suit

The problem with aping the Batman Begins flashback style is that Snyder/Goyer forgot that the flashbacks in BB happen before Bruce becomes Batman; his whole character is established before Bruce returns to Gotham and starts crimefighting. The flashbacks in Man of Steel happen throughout the whole movie, so Clark's character is nowhere near established by the time he

The flashbacks worked in MoS because they established what they needed to for Clark in them as relevant events occurred in the film. He was still wrestling with who he needed to be well after
getting the suit
so it made sense that he was recalling these as he grew in that regard as well.

3N16MA

Banned

I agree with this completely.

GA Reception Update:

54903 IMDb users have given a weighted average vote of 8.3 / 10
545 reviews on Metacritic with average of 8.5/10
945 reviews on Yahoo movies with average of 4/5
53,703 verified tweets with a 9:1 positive:negative ratio

Critics Reception update:

RT: 216 reviews: Rotten Rating 56.
Metacritic: 47 reviews: 55/100
Critics Choice: 50+ reviews: 79/100

Cavill is a good choice he certainly looks the part, but holy shit make up artist could help with his receding hairline, at times he receding hairline stood out more than the Giant S on his chest..

jtb

Banned
GA Reception Update:

54903 IMDb users have given a weighted average vote of 8.3 / 10
545 reviews on Metacritic with average of 8.5/10
945 reviews on Yahoo movies with average of 4/5
53,703 verified tweets with a 9:1 positive:negative ratio

Critics Reception update:

RT: 216 reviews: Rotten Rating 56.
Metacritic: 47 reviews: 55/100
Critics Choice: 50+ reviews: 79/100

is this supposed to prove something?

Suairyu

Banned
Film was excellent up until he put on the suit.

Became fucking boring after that point.

If action is constantly at 11, it becomes non-action and dull.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I liked the film enough to give it a 4/5 but I think the editing holds it back. The transitions are jarring and hurt the emotional impact of some key scenes.

I said it before but I think a linear progression would've helped the film a lot more. Sure it's been done to death, but there's a reason for it. You see a character grow on screen and there's a logic to that growth that makes it easier for the development of the character.

I got what I wanted, though. Which was Supes unleashing himself against someone with comparable power. The action is so good.

jtb

Banned
non-linear narratives are so overrated. linear narratives exist for a reason&#8212;characters experience events in chronological order (almost all the time; exceptions exist of course), and since characters drive plot, there better be a damn good reason if we don't experience it in chronological order also.

flashbacks are even worse than non-linear narratives in that they almost always don't work, especially when it's the same character. parallel narratives are fine, but that's because they work in chronological order. I'll make an exception for memories, since they're built into the narrative logic of the film, but memory is a concept so closely linked to the unreliable narrator&#8212;something which translates incredibly poorly to film. so I don't think I'm being too harsh in my sweeping generalization that flashbacks are almost always used lazily and poorly.

that critics sometimes are too much up their own asses.

meh. this is a film with some big problems, and while I can overlook those problems, I can see why others can't. It's certainly been divisive.

something like all three star wars prequels having fresh ratings on RT is a far more egregious offense imo

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I was definitely disappointed with the Lois Lane character. But maybe that's because I can't get over Margot Kidder.

Yeah I can't get over Kidder either. I can't get over how much I fucking hated her. I loved Superman 1 and 2. I loved those movies in spite of Kidder. Well I loved those movies in spite of a lot of things. But Kidder was the worst. She almost ruined those movies for me. Amy Adams is the first movie Lois I actually like. Plus Amy Adams gets extra points for being Amy Adams.

jackdoe

I liked the film enough to give it a 4/5 but I think the editing holds it back. The transitions are jarring and hurt the emotional impact of some key scenes.

I said it before but I think a linear progression would've helped the film a lot more. Sure it's been done to death, but there's a reason for it. You see a character grow on screen and there's a logic to that growth that makes it easier for the development of the character.

I got what I wanted, though. Which was Supes unleashing himself against someone with comparable power. The action is so good.
I completely agree. Linear progression would have worked wonders and would have solved a lot of pacing issues.

ReiGun

Yeah if the movie had gone through Clark's life in linear fashion, there would have been proper build up. With the flashbacks, the movie kept getting in its own way.

Superman Returns was a wasteful expenditure no matter how you look at it

Singer spent $10 Million dollars on an opening sequence, that was 100% completed, CG and all, and decided to cut it from the movie at the last minute.

$10 Million down the drain

I've never heard this story before, what was the sequence gonna be like? Was it gonna be Supes returning from space or something?

Top Bottom