• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

I finally saw the film last night and loved it. I felt that they did a great job with humanizing Clark Kent in a similar way that Batman Begins did with Bruce Wayne. I feel that sometimes it's easy to forget how emotional Kent can be and how his experiences shaped him as an adult or hero. I like Zack but I'm glad that Nolan was there to help temperate Snyder's direction with the film. I understand some people's thoughts about Shannon and his lack of in-dept dialogue but it wasn't big enough of a issue to detract from his character.

I kind of feel like this is the problem. Superman doesn't need humanizing. He IS a kid who was raised in Kansas and had a great support system of friends and family that kept him grounded and formed the basis of his humanity and gave him empathy coupled with the ability to act. If anything, this film dehumanizes him. He basically grew up with no friends, he was picked on incessantly, through out his whole life, but somehow were supposed to believe now he wants to save the world and he sees the good in everyone? Bruce Wayne as a child was happier than Clark kent.

The stuff we saw Clark go through and what his parents taught him don't equal him being superman. Even with that stupid Spider-Man moment. It just doesn't add up. And that's the big flaw in this film, and for me it is enough to make all the other cracks start showing.

AkuMifune

Banned

C'mon. Accidental overdose, whatever. His death killed the Batman trilogy and what we got was a consolation prize no one wanted.

I think this version of Superman could generate an amazing trilogy, especially now that the box office numbers are in. But to do so he's going to need a villain that can carry the next two films.

People don't like this Lois? I though she was perfect. Savable, but very determined, a bit tomboy, and really smart. And she actually had chemistry with Superman, which I havent' seen since the Donner films.

what blinded me was how her arse looked like a 10 year olds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9-DOuX-Pi6o#t=47s

XNlwqZJ.jpg

stufte

If supes wasn't trying so damned hard to be altruistic, he could have saved countless lives and billions of dollars in destruction by
just snapping that dudes neck
from the get-go.

Blader

C'mon. Accidental overdose, whatever. His death killed the Batman trilogy and what we got was a consolation prize no one wanted.

I think this version of Superman could generate an amazing trilogy, especially now that the box office numbers are in. But to do so he's going to need a villain that can carry the next two films.

What a truly empathetic soul.

stufte

Lol, because it's all about the entertainment! Actors aren't real people anyhow.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Saw it last night

its one of the best Comic book movies to date.

they handle the origin very well, and the fight scenes were godlike, Jor-El was awesome... I have very very little complaints.

enjoyed it

What terrible love story? The interest is there, but it's hardly in the movie.

It's poorly timed and awkwardly constructed. I feel like a studio executive mandated
"Ok, Superman and Lois HAVE to kiss, just get it done somehow" so they did. I think I actually LOL when they shared that first kiss, right in the middle of a destroyed city and thousands of corpses. Zero chemistry, zero emotional resonance, absolutely NOT earned whatsoever.

Raptor

It's poorly timed and awkwardly constructed. I feel like a studio executive mandated
"Ok, Superman and Lois HAVE to kiss, just get it done somehow" so they did. I think I actually LOL when they shared that first kiss, right in the middle of a destroyed city and thousands of corpses. Zero chemistry, zero emotional resonance, absolutely NOT earned whatsoever.

He just saved her, she was caught in the moment, I have watched in many movies that after a dangerous situation has passed almost always there is a kiss after it.

The scenes which made me emotional.

1.The birth. I know it happens early on, but what can I say.
2. Pa Kent signaling him no don't. And Clarks pain and angst during that scene was spectacular.
3. Kal's final scene with Zod tough thing to do.
4.Them showing him playing in the yard with a red cape with his father watching on.

hal9001

Banned
Saw it today on imax. I can't believe how disappointingly awful it was. Apart from the
stunning Zod fight scene near the end
, it was complete and utter rubbish. Zack Snyders directing was a little self indulgent but overall it was okay and not the person to blame. The writing let him down and this is surely one of the worst screenplays ever written for a superhero film. David Goyer is a hack and should have nothing to do with the sequal at all. Any of you could have written better dialogue,plot and story.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The scenes which made me emotional.

1.The birth. I know it happens early on, but what can I say.
2. Pa Kent signaling him no don't. And Clarks pain and angst during that scene was spectacular.
3. Kal's final scene with Zod tough thing to do.
4.Them showing him playing in the yard with a red cape with his father watching on.

#4 made me shed some Tears Of Steel. I used to do that, zooming around the house.

KalBalboa

Banned

Yeah, these issues aren't going to go away. I liked the movie more than him, but these are real problems with the film.

So a rehash of all the rotten reviews and a polar opposite of general audience reaction overall. Ok

Plenty of people are complaining about the things he mentions in this review. Stop being delusional and acting as if this film should be devoid of criticism just because you enjoy it- it's getting mixed responses from critics and general audiences alike.

Yeah, these issues aren't going to go away. I liked the movie more than him, but these are real problems with the film.

Plenty of people are complaining about the things he mentions in this review. Stop being delusional and acting as if this film should be devoid of criticism just because you enjoy it- it's getting mixed responses from critics and general audiences alike.

Thats where you are wrong

64551 IMDb users have given a weighted average vote of 8.2 / 10
8.4 by metacritic users
4/5 by yahoo users
82 by RT users
8:1 positive to negative ratio on twitter
http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/analysis/twitter

I think it's a shame the movie ended up such a mirthless, mediocre action-fest, because from what (very, very little) the movie gives Henry Cavil to do, he's fantastic. He deserved better than this weak-ass script and joyless, dour tone.

KalBalboa

Banned
You said mixed reaction from general audience, average 8 among all GA score indexes is generally very positive, not mixed

No, no- I'm talking about how you keep trying to invalidate criticisms by saying they don't matter because they don't align with some GA score.

You're literally posting

So a rehash of all the rotten reviews and a polar opposite of general audience reaction overall. Ok

You're posting some pretty defensive material about Man of Steel, even when people who like the movie are pointing out small issues.

It's not a perfect film.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So anyone who didn't love the movie "doesn't count?"

Well you kinda get mad or get argumentative when people shit on Returns lol Whats the difference?

No, no- I'm talking about how you keep trying to invalidate criticisms by saying they don't matter because they don't align with some GA score.

You're literally posting

I guess to my interpretation the GA reactions matters more in the end because on most ocassions the RT and GA are pretty much in parity, not for this movie though. I guess you interpret critics reaction as having a slight advantage over GA reaction ?

arab

i liked iron man 3 more than man of steel and i hate marvel movies. this is a 6/10 at best. i cringed at
that fucking kiss
. plotholes abound. all the sudden
amy adams is a fucking precision shot using ALIEN GUNS thanks to the genius of russell fucking crowe
. the ending is so fucked too.
do any of lois' coworkers realize clark is superman even though they saw lois and superman kissing? the government can't track down a seemingly suspicious clark kent figure whose house was just destroyed at the site of a massive fight between their suspect?
action was the saving grace of the movie but man that plot is absolute garbage.

meh of steel

I hope there is a comprehensive making of for the home release. Didn't the movie wrap filming in Jan 2012? It would be interesting to see how close they were to releasing it summer 2012, and for what reasons they delayed it a year.

Im very interested in that.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm honestly more than anything blown away by the huge difference of opinions regarding this Supes movie. Can't wait to judge for myself.

It was never like this with Returns.

KalBalboa

Banned
I guess to my interpretation the GA reactions matters more in the end because on most ocassions the RT and GA are pretty much in parity, not for this movie though. I guess you interpret critics reaction as having a slight advantage over GA reaction ?

I'm not a critic and I agree with a lot of the criticisms average movie goers like my friends, comic book writers like Mark Waid, and, yes, some critics, are saying.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm honestly more than anything blown away by the huge difference of opinions regarding this Supes movie. Can't wait to judge for myself.

Wait, you don't think that Returns is a divisive film?

I'd recommend watching it twice. I enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing, whereas the pacing problems really hurt the movie on opening night for me.

I'm not a critic and I agree with a lot of the criticisms average movie goers like my friends, comic book writers like Mark Waid, and, yes, some critics, are saying.

Well obviously there is no perfect movie and every good movie has its critics.

Wait, you don't think that Returns is a divisive film?

Returns is a universally derided film. The only reason it got 76 on RT is Donner nostalgia.

I think because it was not shot written or filmed like a traditional Hollywood film. In fact I can't recall seeing another movie ever that feels like this one. Its so different. Looks different, sounds different. Moves at break neck speed. Its crazy.

I thought someone would recognize that, and really give Snyder credit for it.

Top Bottom