• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hikaru no go 30ish - 68

I find it funny how Sai is the most popular character and yet his role in the plot is getting progressively smaller desite always being around. He basically serves as an off screen grinding tool for Hikaru to get good quickly which is okay I guess though its very weird to have Sai's on screen role diminish.

Numb

Please do, and check out Solanin and Goodnight Punpun as well if you haven't read them yet.

The title is awesome, even if it can be a mouthful~

Read some Punpun but had to take a break from the madness. Intend to continue some other time but never heard of the other one. Will check.

Don't know what i should recommend. Battle through the heavens(Doupo Cangqiong) has been my jam for a minute.
Also Rikudou and Feng Shen Ji. They are all battle manga tho. Rikudou can get dark.

Non-battle read Melo Holic recently which had an awesome ending. It's romance.

Don't know if Doupo and Fen shen ji are considered manga or fantasy novels tho.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch1-19 by Inio Asano

Much like all Asano works, this shit is fantastic. I find it incredibly amusing he did an interview that was basically "My series are known for being emotional dick kicks so I'm gonna do a light happy series about girls just living their lives and less focus on awful shit. With aliens!" and he didn't even make it fucking 20 chapters before he
shows the MC's mother is a fucking crazy loon and kills off one of the girls after a terrible break-up incident.
Like holy crap Asano, that's a light happy series for you?

Zweizer

Banned
Don't know if Doupo and Fen shen ji are considered manga or fantasy novels tho.

That's never been a problem here before~

Much like all Asano works, this shit is fantastic. I find it incredibly amusing he did an interview that was basically "My series are known for being emotional dick kicks so I'm gonna do a light happy series about girls just living their lives and less focus on awful shit. With aliens!" and he didn't even make it fucking 20 chapters before he
shows the MC's mother is a fucking crazy loon and kills off one of the girls after a terrible break-up incident.

Well, it IS pretty light-hearted compared to, say, Punpun.

i cant read another chapter of terraformars
im finally done, its over, fuck this, dont read it

I'll tell you the exact moment I was done with the series.

When they introduced a cool character, gave her a 3 page backstory and explanation of her powers and then a roach backhanded her and she exploded.

That narrowed it down to like 10 characters I know, but I remember very specifically just getting fed up. Ignoring EVERYTHING ELSE wrong with the series, I absolutely loathe manga/movies/comics/whatever that just kill off characters like that. Half the reason I never got through much of Walking Dead. It's not a style of storytelling I enjoy or find very entertaining. Killing characters without purpose but to further the idea of "anyone can die at any time!" is very weak to me and hurts the narrative and your investment in something.

Mik317

I'll tell you the exact moment I was done with the series.

When they introduced a cool character, gave her a 3 page backstory and explanation of her powers and then a roach backhanded her and she exploded.

That narrowed it down to like 10 characters I know, but I remember very specifically just getting fed up. Ignoring EVERYTHING ELSE wrong with the series, I absolutely loathe manga/movies/comics/whatever that just kill off characters like that. Half the reason I never got through much of Walking Dead. It's not a style of storytelling I enjoy or find very entertaining. Killing characters without purpose but to further the idea of "anyone can die at any time!" is very weak to me and hurts the narrative and your investment in something.

I've never read Terrorformers but yeah the moment "yo a lot of people die" is listed as a plus, I the moment I ignore that series because instead of it being actual tension it will just be YOLO deaths all over to the point where you cannot get invested. That and the shit characters generally do not die.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) Lily Lily Reapers Rererererelaxation (One-shot doujinshi) by Kashiwa-Ya

Like the title implies, a freakin' Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction doujinshi! What a time to be alive!

1NJQDRt.jpg

As one glance at the cover might tell you, it's about raunchy yuri sex between BFFs. How heartwarming is that?

Zweizer pls

Yotsuba&! 88.2

:lol I thought that would be a sad chapter, but I laughed so much because of Yotsuba antics.

But still dat feels moment. So good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yotsuba 88.2

That was both pretty sad and unbelievably funny at the same time. I think I laughed at every single page after Yotsuba found out until Gran finally left.

WHAT.
THE FUCK? What did I miss? I'm so confused.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yotsuba&! - 88.2
Yotsuba is a much stronger person than me, i remember being her age and having the same scene of the car with me crying like a river...

Hikaru no go 60ish -145

While the story built up to it and the final resolution was good, I feel the whole Sai slowly disappearing/being gone could have been handled a lot better. The story also just ground to a halt and dragged on Hikaru's despression way too long and randomly did a side arc with Isumi for some reason. Yeah he's the most popular character for no reason and it does come full circle to his original cheat game and hikaru finding his resolve but that side arc didn't need to be 5+ chapters in length in the middle of a 10+ sai being gone arc. Thankfully the story has gotten back on track and has finally arrived at the Hikaru vs Touya match that has been long coming.

B.O.O.M

Black Clover 27

This villain surely can't be this weak? Must have some ace up his sleeve because if not this would be so disappointing.

Umibozu

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga 51
man those agents suck

Koi wa Amaagari no You ni 3
Feel bad for that yoshizawa guy, feel even worse for the manager for jumping in at the wrong time, lol.
''keep fighting, middle-ager!''
If this series continues the way it is it will become one of my favourites.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, I read all of Tsugumomo this weekend. I was even ok with the random boobs at the end of chapters. Then they introduced a literal pedophile (sort of). Please, even if they're a million year old gods, don't draw naked kids!

Anyways, best action I've ever seen in the manga. Hands down incredible art and the flow of action scenes almost made me think the images were moving. 10/10.

The story is really interesting too. Just tone it down on the fan service!

Revo

Hinamatsuri 47

I would say poor karate people for being deceived, but not letting her go is pretty bad.
woo more rocklusions

dani_dc

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch1-19 by Inio Asano

What if... aliens invaded Japan?
What if... they weren't much of a threat?
Would this... throw the world into disarray?
Or would it... keep on turning as always?

This is... the story of two high schoolers' life, in a world so different, yet so similar.

(...)

How will Kadode deal with her eccentric friend Ontan, who claims that one day she will be humanity's biggest menace?

Is she a madwoman? Or a visionary?

One thing is for sure: Ontan is the biggest highlight of the show.

Featuring Inio Asano's terrific writing, humor, art, paneling and a great Doraemon parody.

A must-read.

Very nice write up.

And I'm not sure how that is a question, Ontan is clearly a visionary.

(NSFW) Lily Lily Reapers Rererererelaxation (One-shot doujinshi) by Kashiwa-Ya

Like the title implies, a freakin' Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction doujinshi! What a time to be alive!

As one glance at the cover might tell you, it's about raunchy yuri sex between BFFs. How heartwarming is that?

I actually saw that at Comiket but refrained from mentioning it because it's existence was just wrong.

I did think "Zweizer would like this".

OPM's getting an official english release yeah?

"Someone who's a hero for fun" ...pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease oh god

For some reason I thought this had been announced already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom