• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Hazuki Kanon wa Amakunai 4-6

So first she has an oral fixation, what with the constant lollipops and thumbsucking and all. Then we find out she has a weakness to getting her head petted. Oh, this girl is going to have a happy marriage
476Urde.jpg

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Nantsu No Taizai- huh that was more shenanigans than I expected. Glad mustache is back though. Who want to guess Bandit Ban is from bandit town? Anyone?

Fairy Tail- What?

Berserk-HOLY FUCKING SHIT! BERSERK IS BACK! EVERYONE TELL YOUR LOVED ONES! BESERK IS BACK!!! God what a good chapter, decent opening fight, interesting antagonist, some good humor, and most importantly THINGS ARE FINALLY HAPPENING!!!

upandaway

Yotsuba 88.2

My cheeks hurt. Also I hope we get to see them visit her too.

And yeah making bread is super hard. Unless you have a mixer machine thing, then it's pretty easy. The hard part is cleaning afterwards.

Berserk 339

...Wait hold on.

Hold on.

wVMZ4y6.png

This can't possibly mean that they left the boat off panel. Zero fucking chance.

Edit: Right this is the scene when he first leaves after the Golden Age right? It's gotta be a flashback

Hikaru no go ending rant

What the fuck kind of shit ending was this? Almost nothing got resolved in the end and the story ends on a "well hikaru and akira have motivated the next generation to play go". Unresolved plot points or plot points that were worthless

- everything with the high school go club after Hikaru leaves is pointless and goes nowhere. Some d tier minor characters got their arcs resolved but it never came back to tie into the main plot and was ultimately pointless

- isumi's whole trip to pointless was fluff that didn't need to be shown. I get the author wanted Isumi to get good so he could finish his game with Hikaru to snap him out of the sai loss funk, but isumi could have just gotten good off screen and it would have had the same impact on the plot. Isumi's chinese friends and time in china never add anything meaningful even in the international tournament outside of some joke that ways looks like some chinese kid (neither of which was relevant in that final tournament)

- akira's dad retiring and positioning himself in the center of the go world to look for sai and challenge top talent where he goes ultimately goes nowhere and has no point.

- sai's fading away was completely botched, I liked the idea of Hikaru inheriting Sai's go and will but how the story builds to this, resolved this, and ultimately makes use of it don't work as well as they should.

- the most important thing of this series is the hand of god, its the One Piece of this series. Its the thing sai says he wants to play in episode 1 the "reason he's still around" and mentions how akira's dad the mejin is the closest to this currently living. Once sai vanishes and hikaru inherits his will/go he even tells Akira "I'll be the one to play the hand of god". Just one problem... IT NEVER FUCKING HAPPENS! Its not even mentioned once in the finale of the series outside of that horrible retcon chapter which implies that Sai actually struggled against Akira instead of playing a teaching game against him like he implied at the start of the series.

- going off that last point hikaru never told anyone the truth about sai despite telling akira he would, and while a few people start to guess close to the answer, in the end nothing ever comes of it

Bah Hikaru no go was so good and then it just completely collapsed at the end. I have to believe the author planned more but was told to end it early as this ending feels completely unsatisfying and had I not see the chapter count beint almost up I would had never guessed the ending was near. Its hard to recommend hikaru no go for that fact as while the first half was really strong the second half does nothing with that great set up and ends on a really meh note leaving the series feeling empty which is sad because I was all about it up until those final few chapters which killed the whole thing.

phaze

Berserk 339

...Wait hold on.

Hold on.

wVMZ4y6.png

This can't possibly mean that they left the boat off panel. Zero fucking chance.

Edit: Right this is the scene when he first leaves after the Golden Age right? It's gotta be a flashback

lol Too much boat is bad for your health.

Technically, I think it was second time he left IIRC.
---

BTW I skipped 99% of the golden age arc in manga form. Did assassin guy from this chapter show up there ? He wasn't in the anime. Did he do anything noteworthy/important ?

lol Too much boat is bad for your health.

Technically, I think it was second time he left IIRC.
---

BTW I skipped 99% of the golden age arc in manga form. Did assassin guy from this chapter show up there ? He wasn't in the anime. Did he do anything noteworthy/important ?

Which Assassin? The masked one is one of Griffith's Apostles. The Kushan group's leader first showed up in Golden Age yes.

Food Wars 132

White Knight is a bland and dull name, though I just want to hear him in the anime double doushio please.

Was more interested in Erina, because Soma just seemed to be more interested in it being his first nine course meal ever instead of the food.

Wiseblade

One Piece

The last couple of chapters have been standard end of arc fare, but has really driven home the similarities to the Alabasta arc and the Baroque Works saga as a whole. Ultimately, I think BW was better as I really enjoyed Little Garden and Drum island did very well countering the "royalty=good, revolutionaries=bad" tone that was starting to build. It also built up future events in clever ways by dropping Dragon's revolutionaries, Blackbeard and the mystery of "D" in a short arc.

And that's and important word. Short. Every post time skip arc has felt significantly longer than it needed to be. I miss the brevity of earlier arcs and laugh at how I previously thought Alabasta was long in the tooth. Just give me something short to cleanse the palette between major events, Oda.

One Punch Man

Never. Gets. Old. Seeing Saitama humble someone before they can even realise what's going on will never bore me.

Food "where is my Smut?"

This first seat is a senior, right? Then Soma's probably not going to battle him. And "not adding a personal flair to a dish" is a weak criticism to make of someone who can create meals that feel fresher and more alive than a living creature.

My Hero Academia

Ida's big life changing event has still yet to happen? Okay.

Berserk 339

...Wait hold on.

Hold on.

wVMZ4y6.png

No, it isn't. It's just Rickert remembering Gatsu. In fact, as much, it's remembering the last time he saw them.

Is the author of Tokyo Ghoul superman? Like sweet Jesus this guy wrote 578 pages worth of content that has about 300,000 characters. It was all for writing a outline for the PS Vita game called Jail.

I wonder how he's able to do all this work on top of writing Tokyo Ghoul:Re on a weekly schedule.

Speaking of being really fast Hiro Mashima not only does Fairy Tail he does spinoffs as well. Seriously how are these Mangaka's able to do this?

upandaway

One Piece

The last couple of chapters have been standard end of arc fare, but has really driven home the similarities to the Alabasta arc and the Baroque Works saga as a whole. Ultimately, I think BW was better as I really enjoyed Little Garden and Drum island did very well countering the "royalty=good, revolutionaries=bad" tone that was starting to build. It also built up future events in clever ways by dropping Dragon's revolutionaries, Blackbeard and the mystery of "D" in a short arc.

And that's and important word. Short. Every post time skip arc has felt significantly longer than it needed to be. I miss the brevity of earlier arcs and laugh at how I previously thought Alabasta was long in the tooth. Just give me something short to cleanse the palette between major events, Oda.
While I am getting a bit miffed by how long arcs are lately, the problem is definitely not that the arcs are long but that they're being stretched out. If I think back to previous long arcs like Alabasta and Skypiea, they had a bunch of locale chages, cast being switched for long periods etc, which helped separate the events inside it. Dressrosa to me sorta blends together into a big mush and I can't divide it in my mind as well as I can Skypiea, Thriller Bark, Enies Lobby, which were shorter.

Even just comparing the maps of the islands between the arcs tells a lot I think. And yeah I also miss the Little Garden, Jaya etc arcs a lot. The short arcs are usually my favorites.

Is the author of Tokyo Ghoul superman? Like sweet Jesus this guy wrote 578 pages worth of content that has about 300,000 characters. It was all for writing a outline for the PS Vita game called Jail.

I wonder how he's able to do all this work on top of writing Tokyo Ghoul:Re on a weekly schedule.

Speaking of being really fast Hiro Mashima not only does Fairy Tail he does spinoffs as well. Seriously how are these Mangaka's able to do this?

assistants

While I am getting a bit miffed by how long arcs are lately, the problem is definitely not that the arcs are long but that they're being stretched out. If I think back to previous long arcs like Alabasta and Skypiea, they had a bunch of locale chages, cast being switched for long periods etc, which helped separate the events inside it. Dressrosa to me sorta blends together into a big mush and I can't divide it in my mind as well as I can Skypiea, Thriller Bark, Enies Lobby, which were shorter.

Even just comparing the maps of the islands between the arcs tells a lot I think. And yeah I also miss the Little Garden, Jaya etc arcs a lot. The short arcs are usually my favorites.

I still don't agree that we should seperate water 7 from ennies lobby as an arc. Ennies Lobby was an incredibly direct extension of water 7, and other than the location change, it carries over everything from water 7 from the plot to the characters

Numb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177105113]That and writing stories without substance. Goes by quick.[/QUOTE]

Ruthless GB.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I also find it funny that we're told that the area in which Eishi is in has a minimum 5000 yen pricetag but Rindou just buys Tadokoro dinner there (even though her intent was to take Soma there). I don't know, I guess I'd like Tadokoro if she felt like less of a complete tag-a-long character that's only there to balance out Soma no-selling practically every intimidating development.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177105113]That and writing stories without substance. Goes by quick.[/QUOTE]

I feel like your saying that about Fairy Tail only but I'm not too sure.

If it's about TG as well then yeah......
😌

Too ruthless.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Good working schedule, total disregard of health, and assistant. He also (probably) have reserve chapter that he made before actual serialization began so he can have spare time to do side project.

Numb

yup

and the Sea Train

Then that means all the enemies and crew went to Enies together to get back Robin. Understandable they can be considered the same arc. But what i remember the most out of both those is Mary and her passing away. One of the saddest deaths in manga. Over a fucking boat. It got to me 100% more than i thought it could ever possibly do.

Chairhome

Okay, I see that Weekly Shonen Jump is available on Comixology and Amazon now, and I want to jump back in... there are only 13 volumes up, from vol 176 to 188. Is there a good jumping in point here? Should I just get them all? $1 a week for 200+ pages is great.

Arabesque

Having WSJ on comixology is a pretty great step, especially if Viz continues with migrating more of their manga's to the store to make it easier for people to get them.

The fact it's still limited to the same regions as th iOS Newstand/Android app is pretty disappointing though. Baby steps I guess, but if they lifted those restrictions it would go a long way to helping the magazine.

Okay, I see that Weekly Shonen Jump is available on Comixology and Amazon now, and I want to jump back in... there are only 13 volumes up, from vol 176 to 188. Is there a good jumping in point here? Should I just get them all? $1 a week for 200+ pages is great.

How caught up are you on the manga in WSJ?

vol 176 (issue 27) should be a good point to start with most manga since its some one-off stories and some of the manag are are starting new storylines. The following issue is also good I think.

I'd say get them all, but the tricky thing about anthology magazines is that there really isn't a great jumping in point for all the series (since some are in the middle of a story arc while others are just starting/finishing them) in a single issue. You could just start reading and go along with each issue since most manga are easy to follow what's going in them.

I'll pay good money to have Kodansha's Afternoon magazine in ComiXology.

I'd love if that happens and I hope now that with this move, Kodansha might reconsider doing a digital magazine as well on comixology. But they seem happy with their arrangement with Crunchyroll at the moment, rather than adopting the competitions model.

Then that means all the enemies and crew went to Enies together to get back Robin. Understandable they can be considered the same arc. But what i remember the most out of both those is Mary and her passing away. One of the saddest deaths in manga. Over a fucking boat. It got to me 100% more than i thought it could ever possibly do.

yeah it could be considered as one major arc since Water 7 was more of a setup arc

similarly I consider Punk Hazard and DressRossa as just one giant arc

I'd chalk it up to using a Random Number Generator to write Tokyo Ghoul: Re.

Berserk 339

Oh neat, new Bearzerk. I'm sorta still coasting off that post-slapping Griffith high so this was fine. The fucking Griffith Assassin Apostle is super weird and I really like that. "Oh. You broke my mask. I liked that mask. That sucks. I'm going home. I'll kill you tomorrow or something..."

Arms Peddler 55

Speaking of Berserk, Female Berserk missed on purpose cause...of bad reasons? I dunno. For someone that they've shown goes postal when it comes to monsters that have read DA BOOK she sure let her shota get away with murder. Then again, I guess she didn't need to do anything because she knew the monster corps would kill it. Nice to see that they can retain humanity after transforming though, bet that comes into play later.

I honestly forgot this manga existed it's been so long. It sometimes can be kinda nonsensical but it's still fun to read when you're inbetween Berserk chapters.

Assassination Classroom 152-153

I laughed at how easily they hijacked it. I do really enjoy however that the astronauts were portrayed as being super smart and super tough but aware enough to realize what they were doing. Rare that professionals aren't shown as being incompetent in this manga. Them hanging out with Karma and Nagisa was pretty great.

That said...I really dislike this development. "Oh hey, we never really tried to continue the research except in space but surprise it can make Sensei not explode! Good thing we didn't further development and instead tried to kill him. And it's easy to make! And everything is cool! But let's try to assassinate him anyways cause that's what our class is all about even though we had a whole class battle to determine that we wouldn't anymore."

It's a little too...easy for a mangaka that I like doesn't normally pull punches. It's much more shonen than Neuro but he really is kinda...making everything work out even if it doesn't fit. Not liking that.

Nanatsu no Taizai 138

Why do I still read this? Ugh. Manga had such potential and then it just went to complete shit.

Mahou Shoujo Site 23

Yes. I will take one each of these new magical girls (and guy/girl). I find all of them especially acceptable. Now to watch them die in horrible, terrible ways.

Arachnid 52

Okay, THAT made me laugh. "Here's my two super awesome fighters!" *Kabuto smashes" "FUCK!" I know it was Queen Ant's plan all along, but still the faces she made were absolutely fantastic. Like, "Whu-oh. I...may have made some poor choices." I also guffawed HARD when Rider Kick entered the scene and was immediately kicked out by Cockroach Girl. God that was hilarious.

This manga is so dumb but it's the fun kind of dumb. Little too much rape though.

Tomo-chan 131

Yo, that single comic let on a LOT about Jun. And his willful density. Dude is not nearly as dumb as he's pretending to be...dunno how much longer he can pretend tho.

Usobuko

Banned

Wow, that's cheap.

But I'm more interested seinen fluff.

dani_dc

I still don't agree that we should seperate water 7 from ennies lobby as an arc. Ennies Lobby was an incredibly direct extension of water 7, and other than the location change, it carries over everything from water 7 from the plot to the characters

Just saying, because if you group them together, it's longer than Dressrosa

They might be the same arc, but each part has it's unique mood, Ennies Lobbies is a very traditional One Piece segment, while Water 7 was completely atypical of the series (up to that point at least) focusing on the crew breaking apart.
Compared to DressRossa just feels like a really long typical One Piece arc, it's no surprise that people would feel that Dressrosa drags more even if technically Water 7 is even longer.

Good god, I have not been in here for a month and haven't been able to keep up on any of the manga I read during that time. The hell have I been doing with my life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom