• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jump 44 Rankings

Haikyuu!! (Cover, Lead CP)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
One Piece
Samon-kun wa Summoner (CP)
Shokugeki no Souma
Boku no Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Mononofu
Black Clover (CP)
Toriko
Nisekoi
Bakuman。Age 14 (CP, Special Chapter Part 2)
Gintama
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Bleach
Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kouen-mae Hashutsujo
Kagamigami
Best Blue
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

World Trigger (Absent)

rip swimming

that ranking for DANCE feels a bit worrying
It's fine, there are more u ranked series than usual in this issue. It's ranking would be right in the middle because let's be real, Samon kun is not going to debut ahead of it and as much as I want Mononofu to survive it probably won't either.

Shokugeki no Soma 136 Spoilers

Dang she was basically mentally abused to become a douche

lol I wonder if all those GAF Erina haters will still hate her

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma 136 Spoilers

Dang she was basically mentally abused to become a douche

lol I wonder if all those GAF Erina haters will still hate her

Senzaemon is an Erina/Soma shipper; why else would he ask Soma

Kyuur

Toriko

Great chapter. Conflicted on Jirou's goal, he wants to protect the earth but the Nitro's goal seems much more long-term. Excited to see him fight un-limited though, I wonder if it is possible for him to re-knock himself after he does this or if someone is going to need to take him down.

Art has been on a roll these past couple chapters too!

One Piece

Nice to see Lucci again, and Spandam under him haha. We need some more returning characters from earlier arc, its always a blast.

Reverie is coming up; I'm guessing its going to be a Marineford level event. I can definitely see Luffy getting involved just for the sheer number of royals he's befriended. Hopefully we can see Vivi again!

Those pirates attacking the convoy are ballsy to say the least.. don't see them succeeding but that would be a pretty huge upset.

Bart's crew is absolutely hilarious and the ship events were great. Glad they skipped the party with a small flashback, and good to see Bellamy taking a piece. Hopefully he can redeem himself in the future! With bounties, feel bad for Franky and lol @ Ussop. Really liked this panel too:

AJdjR3T.png

As for Sanji, my memory is a bit hazy on his backstory.. but there's no chance he could be royalty is there? I remember him serving on a fancy ship, but can't remember exactly how the crew treated him. Will have to go back and read maybe.

somedevil

More Shokugeki no Soma 136 Spoilers:

Gin and Joichiro meet in a foreign country by chance and are together when Gin gets the call of the switch.

Senzaemon does this whole conversation with Soma while doing his workout routine

HInt of Alice's father with just showing his back

One Piece 801 and the Fandom

People are spoating around a youtuber's theory close to 2 years ago that Sanji is of royal blood and that now that Sanji's wanted poster has his actual face the top brass knows who he is and thus wants to capture him alive

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Nonscale by Mebae
Well MangaGAF, want some mindfuckery with gorgeous art, here it is. Delivered in full color
It's a collection of short stories by Mebae

Nonscale and Scale model deal about a giant highschool student who sprout vegetation from all her body and it's up to one boy to help her. There also a dude with giant fetish

Faked Onichan onichan: some kind of mysterious living being that become your fake little sister. Feel like otaku version of twilight zone

Would you like that heated: about one combini worker attempt to touch one consumer he have a crush on. Little did he know, that girl have a certain secret...

Starry eyed lttle praline: it's about chocolate girls. Kinda sexy actually.

Karakorum girl academy: Girls academy located in one of the most dangerous place on earth, in which to reach it, mountain climbing is necessary.

Monster creeping in the night: A boy and his little sister try to find a place called heaven in a place filled with "monster"

Cosmic Concussion: Astronaut trying to find a new intelligent living being. She find more than what she bargained for.

Also featuring Buzz Lightyear cameo lol
1 said:

Sesuji wo Pin! 19

WHY ARE THEY SO FUCKING CUTE

Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary 23

I literally can't stop laughing that one of the monster girls in the background is just a fucking teapot.

Samon-kun wa Summoner 1

Ooo. I like this.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 17-21

Aaaah, such a light-hearted and jovial affair of the day to day lives of these girls!

*ties noose around ceiling beam*

Though I will admit, the glasses friend going on that date was really sweet.

Author is just incredibly masterful at writing these real and subtle moments for his secondary characters

On a somewhat related note, after reading two of his other non-Punpun/Solanin works...he really fucking hates Japan, doesn't he?

Bleach 644

What the fuck kind of Sniper rifle is that?

One Piece 801

Man the only way Oda could have made it more obvious the CP0 guy was Lucci was by actually showing his face. In Leopard form. He has Hattori for fucks sake! Doflamingo's speech has me excited. And this Jack guy... I swear his name has come up a few times in extremely subtle ways.

AND HOW THE FUCK IS CHOPPER'S BOUNTY 100? I could have sworn Kizaru and Sentoumaru saw his Monster form. Sanji's poster probably actually isn't Sanji since they decided to keep Chopper's joke running. I thought Usopp's would be higher and I was always confused as to why Robin's was so low. She is the most dangerous person in the entire crew.

Excellent chapter. This is why I love One Piece.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 17, 20-21

Oh, Isobeyan is Doraemon. I am dumb.

Some excellent art, looks like this will be turning into Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

This is going to go to some bad places, the comparison to WWII Japanese Imperialism was already obvious without it being pointed out.

Jump 44 Rankings

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
One Piece
Shokugeki no Souma
Boku no Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Mononofu
Black Clover (CP)
Toriko
Nisekoi
Gintama
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Bleach
Kagamigami
Best Blue
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

World Trigger (Absent)

It's kind of crazy to think that Nisekoi is one of the "older" titles in serialization currently only really beaten by the legacy series. And Jump must be excited after a slow start to the decade they've piled up a fairly impressive line up of hits.

Averon

One Piece 801

I absolutely love these world building chapters. This is why I love the endings of long arcs in OP, because I know it will be followed be world building chapters.

Doffy's soeech was hype! Can't wait to see all the upcoming chaos it hinted at. Sanji being a son of a noble in the WG is highly likely.

Gvitor

One Piece 801

Dressrosa was so goddamn long I completely forgot CP0 already appeared (once), 96 chapters ago.

Hopefully they do something with the wanted posters this time around. Sounds like a promising storyline for Sanji, at least.

Jump 44 Rankings

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
One Piece
Shokugeki no Souma
Boku no Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Mononofu
Black Clover (CP)
Toriko
Nisekoi
Gintama
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Bleach
Kagamigami
Best Blue
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

World Trigger (Absent)

A week without knowing if Hyuse is the next Tamakoma-2

Dance manga finally collapsing. Viz did right in not picking it.

Numb

Toriko 340

Jirou my man. Telling them to get straight to the point and spilled everything. So much good info in this chapter and no time wasted. Glad the Blue Nitro don't have a cliche bullshit bad guy plan but a cool one. Conflict is gonna come from how they pull it off most likely.

Doupo Cangqiong 136

Yes!
We back finally. Time to level up again by stealing other people's hard work.

The concept can be good, but the vast majority of these series executes it extremely poorly with the whole world basically set around the hero in order to make him (yes, him) shine with little evolution and the story retreading the same old clichés with barely any variation. At the end, the video game parts feel like little more than a new way for the author to fellate their audience.

This makes me realize that .hack//SIGN was truly one of a kind.

Umibe no Onnanoko 1-20

Read all this in one go.

I love Asano works. And this one is really good. But goddam man, this is a hard read. Just...two kids with fucked up lives deciding to fuck all the time and treat each other like shit. I think this one hurt so much because it got pretty fucking real and made me uncomfortable with parts of relationships I had when I was younger.

Side note, are any of Asano's works published in English?

jbug617

Banned
Spoilers for Shokugeki no Soma 136
It's confirmed that Erina's father was the third seat after Gin and Joichiro.
Also Erina's father is fucked up.

Lain

Umibe no Onnanoko 1-20

Read all this in one go.

I love Asano works. And this one is really good. But goddam man, this is a hard read. Just...two kids with fucked up lives deciding to fuck all the time and treat each other like shit. I think this one hurt so much because it got pretty fucking real and made me uncomfortable with parts of relationships I had when I was younger.

Side note, are any of Asano's works published in English?

The one you just read is getting released in the future (also Punpun), while you have What a wonderful world, Solanin, Nijigahara Holograph already available (maybe more, not sure, I only get the Italian releases).

I might go into why I like and "hate" Umibe no Onnanoko a bit more. I'm rereading certain sections and seeing certain connections like her shirt in Chapter 8 or his response to the message board question guy and it's floating around in my head a lot.

Shengar

Of course the core ideas aren't new, but I'd have thought people would have gotten tired with this same flavor after a while. Maybe I'm just getting impatient.
Well who wouldn't want to see more of something that you like (in your case, the lewd, the strange, or both)? If people are easily hooked by a lowest common denominator, then bless them since they will be easily satisfied.

The concept can be good, but the vast majority of these series executes it extremely poorly with the whole world basically set around the hero in order to make him (yes, him) shine with little evolution and the story retreading the same old clichés with barely any variation. At the end, the video game parts feel like little more than a new way for the author to fellate their audience.

The most frustrating thing to note is how most of these MMO garbages sharing many the same failure. Jesus Yuji Mceverylead that make any girls instantly wet themselves. Lots of exposition panels to describe its own world,lazily reliant on telling instead of showing the world. Barebones plot thay serve nothing but as a excuse for the exploit of the main characters. Worst of them all for me personally, the constant casual dropping of game terms that really serve as nothing but to make the world feels like a cheap plastic and the narration become obtuse.

There are some of these MMO garbages that shows greay concept. Example in mind is RE:Monster where we see (loser) human reborn as a goblin. At first it really interesting because we see how a difference an intelligent could make. The premise is like setting up the rise of a green horde, where those greenlings banding together and posing significant threat that no one never imagined befode. But instead of seeing the rise of goblin-Genghis Khan, we got endless internal monologue of the main character. Game-term dropped so casually as to remind us that the world is a fake of fake. The MC disgusted by the cruelty of the old goblins but when he done some part of his own the narration cast such atrocities in positive or at least neutral matter. He spend considerate time as a goblin yet nothing change him beside hos condescending manner.

The premise is great and even among fantasy works worldwide, the tale of the rising of a horde is rarely ever told despite we have one such a case in our history. I endured some chapters hoping it would change but then I realized my hope is misplaced. I was once said that today Japan have many interesting premises but always managed to get the execution in the worst possible way.

With a great execution even the cliched loser trapped/reborn in a new world could become the most interesting story to told. Some history and military geek might died suddenly then reborn in a warring states fantastical world. His old knowledge intact, he could make a vast difference and gaining significant advantage. A good execution would be a story where the MC have to realize that with his new position he have many responsibility to take. He must grow up because he is now an active player in a situation where he usually just an distant observer. Even better if he have to struggle against the inept personality of his old self that might prevent him from achieving greatness.

But we will most likely see that turned intobthe most peedictable way. The MC is instantly likeable as he will showered with praised by the warlords that hired him. He will have his own cast of harem warrior girls, with possibly some ditzy strategist assistant by his side. Any military manoeuvre that caused massive atrocities and casualties will be highlighted in positive light and the MC will show no remorse. All of this told by the MC inner monologue and constant reminder how such situation is similar to Crusader Kings II/Nobunaga's Ambition/RoTK/all of them, complete with stats and arbitrary troops number.

This makes me realize that .hack//SIGN was truly one of a kind.
And really ahead of its time.

Droplet

Akai Mi Hajiketa ch9

Didn't like this one much. They both were pretty insufferable until the end.

Yeah, I wasn't too big a fan of this one for the most part. I did relate a little with Utsumi because I was a swimmer growing up and most of the girls (including me) had similar reservation about our shoulders. Maybe not to this extent but I guess it had to be a little dramatic!

I laughed so hard when Katsuki ate the picture though. I also found it a little amusing that Japanese delinquent teenage boys knew what a cardigan was. Such fashion~

Jintor

when i think about the mmos i played (and granted there weren't a huge tonne since I was never suuppperrr into them) where's the stories about all that kind of shit? guild drama and running around gleefully subverting the purpose of the game or accidental blood plagues or ridiculous patch notes?

/edit besides log horizon which i think went kind of sideways with the concept into its own interesting niche

Usobuko

Banned
Best profession in MMO is merchant.

Thick-faced, sabotage competitors, artificially raise price of your limited goods and win over friends with benefits by their perception of you than what you really have/are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom