• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Punch Man 1-current

I still really don't care much for this and I really don't get the appeal. The Murata art is GORGEOUS and the series at times feels like he's just showing off just how good he is. At the same time while the various gif chapters are impressive in motion in terms of the story you could have cut those down to just they key shots and have the same impact on the story but with more room to do other things. I get the OPM is more or less a comedy with action elements but I never find the comedy very fun and the action lacks any tension because you know Saitama will always win with one punch. That fact further makes the action of all the support characters uninteresting because they're all basically infinite jobbers till Saitama shows up to one punch someone. I also find the series to be unusually wordy at times with lots of dry exposition at times which at first the series mocks with the 10 words or less scene but then continues to have later on especially when it deals with the political aspects of the hero ranking system.

At the end the only thing I get out of OPM is Murata's art which is without a doubt the best in the industry, but I dunno if his art alone makes OPM worth reading or if someone is better off just viewing the various pics and gifs that get taken from the series and posted everywhere. I'll keep reading OPM as its in US Jump though its probably my least favorite thing they actively serialize.

Side note some of the chapters were out of order where I read the series which was fine I was quickly able to figure that out and adjust, but what I couldn't figure out was if the various side chapters and omakes that sometimes happened in the middle of fights were deliberate or were also a case of chapters being out of order. Is Murata's version of OPM so close to One's that he needed filler? Were the chapters just really badly out of order? Or does Murata just like having random one off chapters at random spots?

Numb

One Punch Man 1-current

I am mad.
:)
Just treat it like satire and don't take it too seriously
Otherwise you end up reading even the not good art ones that take forever to do stuff.
Also wishing Batman and supees guest star and he one punches them.

I am mad.
:)
Just treat it like satire and don't take it too seriously
Otherwise you end up reading even the not good art ones that take forever to do stuff.

Even as satire/parody I don't find it particularly funny : the only thing that midly makes me chuckle/smile is whenever Saitama does his various faces

Numb

Even as satire/parody I don't find it particularly funny : the only thing that midly makes me chuckle/smile is whenever Saitama does his various faces

OPM is not universally loved. Not known about being about the comdey,satire,art only but all of them combined make the package. It is understandable if you don't find that enough for you and want more. Alot of people do too.

100% MAD!!!!
slightly on OPM's side

idk I am more of a story guy and world building then fights

which is odd to some people since I like Toriko but Toriko unlike Naruto has good world building and quite honestly a better plot that has actual foreshadowing (Kishi)

Hence why I fanboy when I know a Vinland Saga chapter is out. (OMG was chapter 120 of VLS sooooooo goood might be the best chapter of the week)

OPM fights are great but to Mob Pycho it lacks the tighter plot

Zweizer

Banned
Why did it never occur to me before that Elias from Ancient Magus' Bride just might be a take on the wendigo monster? The looks, the shadowy wild magic, the cannibalism, his past living in cold woods, the shallow connection with humans

He does kinda fit the bill, though the wendigo being a Northern American monster makes it a bit weird.

Numb

idk I am more of a story guy and world building then fights

which is odd to some people since I like Toriko but Toriko unlike Naruto has good world building and quite honestly a better plot that has actual foreshadowing (Kishi)

Hence why I fanboy when I know a Vinland Saga chapter is out. (OMG was chapter 120 of VLS sooooooo goood might be the best chapter of the week)

OPM fights are great but to Mob Pycho it lacks the tighter plot

Indeed. Mob is more down to earth and explores the world way way more than OPM with letter cities that get exploded as soon as they are named lol. But i like OPM slightly more. I like crazy like that. Never been a story fella.

Indeed. Mob is more down to earth and explores the world way way more than OPM with letter cities that get exploded as soon as they are named lol. But i like OPM slightly more. I like crazy like that. Never been a story fella.

which is understandable we all like different things... and OPM is still a great series

Boku no Hero Academia 60

Fighting their teachers is a great test.... I want to see how much they changed.
Hopefully when those two face All Might we don't get any interference from outsiders... that All Mights doesn't hold back and lastly that these two don't try to kill each other instead of working together

Qurupeke

I'm rereading Death Note and it's still as incredible as I remember. Actually, I enjoy it even more as it's not as confusing as the first time. I ended the first part and it's so well constructed. The line of being the main hero/protagonist and the antagonist is so thin for Light. Still, my favourite part is the whole thing before the Yotsuba group. Light and L mind games.

I'm almost on the Near/Mello part, I'm not really fond of it though...

dumbyugi

I'm rereading Death Note and it's still as incredible as I remember. Actually, I enjoy it even more as it's not as confusing as the first time. I ended the first part and it's so well constructed. The line of being the main hero/protagonist and the antagonist is so thin for Light. Still, my favourite part is the whole thing before the Yotsuba group. Light and L mind games.

When I reread it recently I liked the Near/Mello arc better than the first time I read it but I still don't really care for it.There are some good bits here and there and I really like the ending but it's overall a lot weaker than Light vs L.

I miss Mello
xMatt
, Mello being a Near persona is the most offensive thing a drama has done to a cherished character.

Mandelbo

Helter Skelter

So this was pretty good, although I don't think it left quite as much of an impact on me as the other recommendations I got a while back. I feel like they could have gone a bit further with the idea that Ririko's
essentially falling apart because of her treatment - there was a panel near the end where she was fiddling with her hands and I was expecting her fingers to break or something.
The art style was very interesting though, definitely very unique. Lots of the female characters looked fairly similar to each other, but then that
gets used later as a plot point! I liked that a lot.

The way that fame is likened to a cancer was also quite on point, I felt, particularly when compared to the fact that Ririko's body
gets worse the more she's out of the public eye. It creates a vicious cycle where she feels as if she's becoming redundant, so she lets herself go and lapses on her treatment, which in turn causes more of her appointments and deals to be dropped and therefore leaving her with less work.
I think it's interesting that we never actually see any of the "incidents" that happen throughout - we don't see
Hada destroy Emily's face with sulphuric acid, nor do we see Ririko's apparent outburst on live TV, this being especially important since it essentially marks the end of her career.

That cliffhanger was mean though.

Hey Mangaf, I'm back after 3 months of absence.

Fun thing is, when I resume after so long, I find so many things I didn't read before !

But also, things I already read ! Speaking of this, I can advise to read Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga. I already talked about it before, but it has elements of monster girls (which I know mangaf is fond of), smut (which Mangaf is defnitely fond od) and action.

Frankly, it was a good surprise to me

I also read GTO Paradise Lost which is GTO without anything changed, but frankly, I don't care, GTO is awesome.

Yona of the Dawn 104-105

Zeno's origin story was fairly well done and gave me vibes of lost odyssey. The immortal story when done well can always be emotional rollercoaster.

convo

One Punch Man 1-current

I still really don't care much for this and I really don't get the appeal.

You are absolutely correct in that EVERYONE is a jobber in comparison to Saitama, and that is the same reason i like Akagi. It's all about the Villain or opponent falling into despair and awaiting defeat in those mahjong sessions, the winner is determined already it's how we get there that's entertaining. I admit that sometimes the sidestories with the side charactes aren't all that interesting and it's not really the same, but i like how the cast in OPM is gradually getting humbled as it goes on and recognizing their jobber status .

UQ Holder! to 94

Great and fun arc, Touta-nii really loves going shirtless. I loved the lightning fight when how most of what he was wearing was frayed and then he had the hoops going and got to use that powerful lightning elemental spell. Felt fast paced but it seems were going back down to those other ones for a bit. Really love this series.

Boku no Hero 60
Always brings a grin to my face when I read these chapters and hypes me for the next one.
Predictable? Yes but awesome nonetheless
Shokugeki no Soma 136 raw
Really hoped they didn't go this route but whatever <shrug> I'm guessing since the third years of the Elite 10 are graduating, Soma and co are gonna have to claw their way up the elite 10 ranks to change everything back to have Grandpa Nakiri (or hell maybe Gin) be the headmaster. Still hoping for underground elite 10 because why not.

UQ holder 95

Time for a new arc, and some new characters!
And hello again to two old ones! About damn time Chachamaru makes her appearance, if that is indeed her.

Zweizer

Banned
Helter Skelter

So this was pretty good, although I don't think it left quite as much of an impact on me as the other recommendations I got a while back. I feel like they could have gone a bit further with the idea that Ririko's
essentially falling apart because of her treatment - there was a panel near the end where she was fiddling with her hands and I was expecting her fingers to break or something.
The art style was very interesting though, definitely very unique. Lots of the female characters looked fairly similar to each other, but then that
gets used later as a plot point! I liked that a lot.

The way that fame is likened to a cancer was also quite on point, I felt, particularly when compared to the fact that Ririko's body
gets worse the more she's out of the public eye. It creates a vicious cycle where she feels as if she's becoming redundant, so she lets herself go and lapses on her treatment, which in turn causes more of her appointments and deals to be dropped and therefore leaving her with less work.
I think it's interesting that we never actually see any of the "incidents" that happen throughout - we don't see
Hada destroy Emily's face with sulphuric acid, nor do we see Ririko's apparent outburst on live TV, this being especially important since it essentially marks the end of her career.

That cliffhanger was mean though.

Great short story. I definitely recommend it.

Hey Mangaf, I'm back after 3 months of absence.

Fun thing is, when I resume after so long, I find so many things I didn't read before !

But also, things I already read ! Speaking of this, I can advise to read Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga. I already talked about it before, but it has elements of monster girls (which I know mangaf is fond of), smut (which Mangaf is defnitely fond od) and action.

Frankly, it was a good surprise to me

The latest bunch of chapters have been seriously disappointing though.

Read Tsugumomo for even better action and smut, though it doesn't really feature monster girls.

7 Seeds ~146

Ugh we really need to get out of these ant catacombs it feels like we've been trapped in them forever. The writing is still excellent but I want to see more of this world and not be stuck trying to find everyone in hallucinogenic ant world.

Biorg Trinity 12
CPyRxoGXAAAn3YL.png:large
Yes HosaFuji forever. Fuji has some great moves and great skill even if he isnt that experienced. Enjoyed the plan.

I like how we get lots of explanations for things now, this still is best seinen focused manga I read.

Jintor

Boku no Hero - Hero Killer Arc

Fuckin solid. Thought for sure it was going to end more tragically than it did but not too bad all around. Zuko's char development is fantastic, as is Speedy's. Mido looking more and more like a hero every second of the day. I love the class.

Fuckin hell what a great manga

odd that they added that extra scene in the anime were Erina is thinking and drooling over Soma's curry dish piece

makes her look maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thirsty

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UQ Holder

Wow, Negima overload. How did Konoka get two granddaughters who look exactly like Setsuna and Herself???? Hmmmmm.

Also, Ayaka and Chachamaru!! She still has her pactio even.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also note her pactio picture, which proves Negi is still alive.
Them saying "Negi is alive" like 8 times also proved that lol

It's a good thing so many of the Negima girls were immortal demons because I miss the old cast. At least we got a Chisame expy in the main cast of UQ.

Yona of the Dawn 104-105

Zeno's origin story was fairly well done and gave me vibes of lost odyssey. The immortal story when done well can always be emotional rollercoaster.

Yeah, even though all the other dragons had sad backstories, Zenos story crushed me. He endured so much. Made that hug in the end of 105 even more heartwarming. Dude deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom