• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Sis Plus 13

Girl thinks her crush kissed a guy, proceeds to draw facial hair.
HZoROCm.jpg
A for effort

balgajo

Black Clover 32 - PT-BR
I really liked the five first chapters of Black Clover, but man, it went downhill after that. I'm reading hoping for it to get better because I like the setting.
Btw, pt-br scans were fast as fuck. Usually they are also translating BNHA first.

Wiseblade

I know I'm super late, but I decided to save this week's issue for my trip to birmin that's currently in progress.

One Piece

Still hype reading it a second time over a week later.

World Trigger

I don't like the idea of Osama tagging out for the horned Neighbour. At least I can be sure it won't be permanent, purely because of how un-Shonen it is.

My Hero Academia

I really liked the art this week. MHA is basically doing the Chunin exams in reverse at this point.

That Shogi thing

I was kind of hoping for more shogi on display, like a card game manga but less stupid.

Ashihara is a training arc savant. I don't even know if this arc will end before a Bleach and get back to the Neighbors. At least we get to see some neighbors in action in the anime original arc. That's what my Side Effect tells me.

Zweizer

Banned
Well who wouldn't want to see more of something that you like (in your case, the lewd, the strange, or both)? If people are easily hooked by a lowest common denominator, then bless them since they will be easily satisfied.

The most frustrating thing to note is how most of these MMO garbages sharing many the same failure. Jesus Yuji Mceverylead that make any girls instantly wet themselves. Lots of exposition panels to describe its own world,lazily reliant on telling instead of showing the world. Barebones plot thay serve nothing but as a excuse for the exploit of the main characters. Worst of them all for me personally, the constant casual dropping of game terms that really serve as nothing but to make the world feels like a cheap plastic and the narration become obtuse.

(...)

I agree with everything you said, though I haven't read Re:Monster. Actually, I guess I'm more sad than angry that the vast majority video game-centric series fail to adapt it in a clever or interesting way, and go for the laziest, cheapest route possible.

Yeah, I wasn't too big a fan of this one for the most part. I did relate a little with Utsumi because I was a swimmer growing up and most of the girls (including me) had similar reservation about our shoulders. Maybe not to this extent but I guess it had to be a little dramatic!

I laughed so hard when Katsuki ate the picture though. I also found it a little amusing that Japanese delinquent teenage boys knew what a cardigan was. Such fashion~

Yeah, Utsumi was the most likeable character of the bunch, even if she was a bit too stubborn and confrontational (though not without reasons).

Nothing wrong with being into fashion~

Best profession in MMO is merchant.

Thick-faced, sabotage competitors, artificially raise price of your limited goods and win over friends with benefits by their perception of you than what you really have/are.

It'd indeed make for a neat series.

One can never have enough yanderes.

True words.

Lain

when i think about the mmos i played (and granted there weren't a huge tonne since I was never suuppperrr into them) where's the stories about all that kind of shit? guild drama and running around gleefully subverting the purpose of the game or accidental blood plagues or ridiculous patch notes?

/edit besides log horizon which i think went kind of sideways with the concept into its own interesting niche

The one that comes to my mind is .hack, through the various iterations. It had subverting the purpose of the game, guild drama, politics etc... etc... and the generation of the fields through mixing words was a cool concept.

phaze

One Piece ~232 - ~315 Skypeia Arc

On one hand, this avoided any stupid stunts the likes of which Alabasta pulled; there was no silly power ups, (not sure why Luffy could hit Enel though, rubber how does it work), no "survived a nuke blowing in your face" death cop outs or villains defeating and then not finishing Luffy off. On the other, I think the lack of any character like Vivi, with whom I would have a prolonged contact and grown to care about a bit and by extension, about her country, lessened the impact of that finish. (and epilogue) In general, and I doubt it will change, I'm still not fan of having to continuously get acquainted with and then quickly discard + 30 characters during every new arc. It makes the beginning of every arc with all the setup and introductions a giant slog. With that said, I really like Oda's climaxes, where everything comes together and shows you how much of planning and forethought was put into it all. The combat scenarios he comes up are also pretty inventive and varied. I only wish, Luffy wasn't constantly solo'ing every main villain.

I feel like I finally got used to the arstyle and the humor of this series and while I can't say I share the adulation for it, I can (finally) see the appeal.

Shengar

when i think about the mmos i played (and granted there weren't a huge tonne since I was never suuppperrr into them) where's the stories about all that kind of shit? guild drama and running around gleefully subverting the purpose of the game or accidental blood plagues or ridiculous patch notes?

/edit besides log horizon which i think went kind of sideways with the concept into its own interesting niche
My guts telling me that most of these MMO mangakas rarely plays MMORPG, or they are the solo player type. It kinda telling since the element that what makes MMORPG quite long lasting for many players are absent and almost all of them sharing the same focus on the main characters as the sole player (where if there is any other character, they mostly sidelined and in the end it still the MC who takes all the credit).

If the latter turned out to be true, I'm not in the slightest surprised.
Best profession in MMO is merchant.

Thick-faced, sabotage competitors, artificially raise price of your limited goods and win over friends with benefits by their perception of you than what you really have/are.
Merchant in general is highly underused/underrepresented in fiction. We rarely got any story that focus on the livelihood of merchants in any setting until the recent Spice and Wolf, which I guess inspire people to create more story about merchant. It is shame and strange since merchant is one profession that have their hands on shaping the history worldwide.
I agree with everything you said, though I haven't read Re:Monster. Actually, I guess I'm more sad than angry that the vast majority video game-centric series fail to adapt it in a clever or interesting way, and go for the laziest, cheapest route possible.

It's frustrating when such story carry a baggage of interesting premise. The thought of "what could have been" is what throws me into such furstation. Twofold when there is no other work with similar premise around.
Tenfold when you're a writer without the slightest skill in drawing to make one on your own.

Zweizer

Banned
My guts telling me that most of these MMO mangakas rarely plays MMORPG, or they are the solo player type. It kinda telling since the element that what makes MMORPG quite long lasting for many players are absent and almost all of them sharing the same focus on the main characters as the sole player (where if there is any other character, they mostly sidelined and in the end it still the MC who takes all the credit).

If the latter turned out to be true, I'm not in the slightest surprised.

That too. Very good observation.

Merchant in general is highly underused/underrepresented in fiction. We rarely got any story that focus on the livelihood of merchants in any setting until the recent Spice and Wolf, which I guess inspire people to create more story about merchant. It is shame and strange since merchant is one profession that have their hands on shaping the history worldwide.

Another series that shows the importance of merchants would be Maoyuu. I guess economics just isn't interesting enough for the majority of the demographic.

Shokugeki no Soma 160 spoilers

"I beg of you. Please save Erina."

Ugh, this is almost enough for me to stop reading the manga.
Almost.

Busaiku

It's hard to tell how much Saitama is holding back against people like Garou and Tatsumaki.
Makes them seem stronger in relation.

Vinland Saga 120

Yuss. Hild is the best. Maybe her and Thorfinn can put aside their differences and bone forever.

Boku no Ashido 160

Needs more Ashido. I also wanna see the other kids' pairings and fights with the instructors even though Deku and Bakugou vs. All Might is super awesome.

Hero acad 60

I like this. The OP quirks vs quirk canceller in order to not get reliant on them, the worst combination vs the symbol of peace.

Other combos I'd like to see - Midnight vs Grape Kid, Black Hole vs Weightless Girl+Slip girl.

I'm shipping earphone jack and Kaminari, I hope he can act as an amplifier or something for her ability.

Sai

Hajime no Ippo

Man, I don't even see raws of this manga anymore, so I tend to forget about it these days.

Kinda want this fight to be over with though.

Nordicus

Why did it never occur to me before that Elias from Ancient Magus' Bride just might be a take on the wendigo monster? The looks, the shadowy wild magic, the cannibalism, his past living in cold woods, the shallow connection with humans

Vinland Saga 119-120

Good stuff... never knew that I was behind 2 chapters so that was a good surprise (I usually do this method of 2 chapters for kingdom)

loving this flashback about her and seeing again how could Finn was a nice reminder

The art was superb as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom