• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

I wish everyone could just agree on Soma's catch phrase. Every single place, including the anime, translates it completely differently. The catch phrase is "osomatsu," but the official Viz translation is the "Happy to serve!", the Crunchyroll anime translation is "Glad you enjoyed it!" and the pirate translation is "It wasn't much!"

The first one is Engrish, the second one doesn't sound like a catchphrase, and the third one has a completely different (although not necessarily less valid) meaning.
I think on all accounts the pirate translation is the best (in general the whole translation is really nice, though I never saw the Viz translation to compare to).

The problem you describe can be narrowed down to just CR not going with the Viz translation which is definitely their screwup. It's something that happens in almost every series on some level though, not sure what can be done at this point.

Food Wars 130
CMEjrefXAAQ0TNr.png
Such a difficult chapter, it has SoTaku in it and both being said to be a perfect match to one another, but then it has Kuga losing. It was a fantastic chapter, but this can be a fantastic miniarc, if Kuga can with the next day. That losing face was angry to see.

Jintor

I mentioned this in AnimeGAF, but it took me three days to realise I'm actually staying practically right on Ikebukuro's Otome Road. lol. I guess I'll go in the local animate and see how Otome it gets.

I wish everyone could just agree on Soma's catch phrase. Every single place, including the anime, translates it completely differently. The catch phrase is "osomatsu," but the official Viz translation is the "Happy to serve!", the Crunchyroll anime translation is "Glad you enjoyed it!" and the pirate translation is "It wasn't much!"

The first one is Engrish, the second one doesn't sound like a catchphrase, and the third one has a completely different (although not necessarily less valid) meaning.

Happy to serve isn't engrish :T

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Koi dano Ai dano 32.5-34

Shit, he actually confessed and she actually believes it. This manga's great.

I loved the side chapter with Momoi too. So that's why she wears braids.

Revo

Teppu 31

Still a bummer this is ending/over. Unless this final fight is amazing and literally solves everything. Still would want more though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Happy to serve isn't engrish :T

Nobody talks like that because you'd say "I'm happy to serve you" not just "happy to serve" its just a weird fragment of a sentence. Its Engrish.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Silly question... why don't Manga and Manhwa authors have Patreon or Paypal donation pages? It feels like so many people would be moved to give if they knew how.

Shengar

Silly question... why don't Manga and Manhwa authors have Patreon or Paypal donation pages? It feels like so many people would be moved to give if they knew how.

Language barrier and the fact that both Korean and Japanese have their internet sphere that is quite different from the rest of the world.

Usobuko

Banned

Yes. I don't know the impact and implication of such means but it is surely better than the status quo now where they are getting almost nothing in return.

I just started reading it and definitely doesn't set itself up as a slice-of-life story. The basic premise is about a girl (or consciousness) that carries 3 billion years of memories passed down from one generation to the next. It was enough to pique my interest. I ask about it because I'm always wary about starting a new series not knowing if it degenerates.

Certainly the premise feels really epic. It seems like it can get very dark (which is never something I look forward to but can bare if the story is good). Do you feel like the story got worse as you read on or was it mediocre for you from the beginning?

It's more melancholic and doesn't venture beyond that kind of poignant tone. But then again, having read only Memories of Emanon, I don't know if the story turn for the worst in its sequel. I highly doubt so though because this seems to be his style ( evident from his other works ) and that he doesn't seem willing going against this winning formula.

Lain

Language barriers most likely for Patreon (plus many probably don't even know about it).
In regards to paypal donations, why would they need them? If people want to support an author they only have to buy the volumes the author releases.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Uzumaki - fin.

8KWGiwG.jpg

I've been familiar with Uzumaki's rep for years, but never really got around to it for one reason or another. Better late than never, or something. Anyway, the absolute best thing about Uzumaki is its capricious nature, and how hilariously extreme it gets. Seemingly everyone and everything in this little town can go from quiet to absurdly cruel and utterly insane, with this turn sometimes happening all on one page. Ito just loves to flip this switch and wild out, like a guy eating off a plate made from the mud of a lake his parents ashes winded up in, or another guy running out in the street only to be promptly wrapped around a car's front tire. This is some crazy stuff, and Ito's "uh, the body ain't supposed to twist like that" gross-out art is fantastic and nicely detailed. My favorite chapter is, of course, Mosquitoes. It dealing with pregnant women, I was preparing for the worst, but instead there's a swerve and the story ends up even nastier. The bloodied ghoul faces, the drilled out bodies, the 'squee / schlrp / glug' sound notes. This was so fucked up and I loved it.

The final stretch drops the episodic chapters for the story to all come together, but it doesn't quite work as well, at least initially. There's a human vs. human element that isn't terribly interesting, nor is it creepy. It is also little hard to care about some of these tragedies happening all around the main character, Kirie, because she has, like, zero personality. She is supposed to care but you barely even see it. At only 20 chapters, I'd rather get some good body-horror stories going than fleshing Kirie out though, so I guess this is a w/e complaint. And the final third of the manga eventually picks back up too: the snail eating bit with the hungry friend was easily the most disgusting part of the story, and the ending was a good, bittersweet conclusion with some wonderful, trippy art.

I gave this an 8 out of 10 on my MAL. I read VIZ's 3-in-1 hardcover version and was pretty content with it. Can't comment on how accurate the translation was, but the dialogue never felt stilted or dry or anything. Will definitely check out more of Ito's stuff down the road, but Solanin's up next on my list.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
This and Koi Dano Ai Dano are updated so sporadically that I've already forgotten the story at this point.
I think it's mostly the author's fault on that part, since we've been caught up and the next update is in August (which leaves a near two month gap between it and the last chapter).

At least the story isn't that hard to catch up on, unlike some series (looking at you, D. Grayman)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It's been a long time.

Also did you say booty in manga?

😉

Ah, glorious. I need more smut than normal, my thirst will never be quenched.

Long time no see you two~

The hotness of the day are Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! and Netsuzou Trap. Get on it, Yams.

Work has made it near impossible to read manga and watch anime but now I'm catching up on animu, next is manga. I'll be sure to get on the gravy train of NT... I mean glorious mindfuckery from Zweizer.

Quasar

Language barriers most likely for Patreon (plus many probably don't even know about it).
In regards to paypal donations, why would they need them? If people want to support an author they only have to buy the volumes the author releases.

Well theres lots of folks who would like to pay for content but can't (no legal digital version, no official version in their language).

To the point of folks talking about buying the manga or novel in japanese just then just reading the fan translations.

Lain

Well theres lots of folks who would like to pay for content but can't (no legal digital version, no official version in their language).

That's understandable, but then those people should try and grab digital or physical copies in Japanese. Places like DMM have digital copies of some of the manga people on here love.

Some examples from DMM:
Umaru volumes are 500 yen each.
Ushio&Tora volumes are 432yen each.
Prison Schools volume are 540yen each and go as far as volume 18 and they also have The Story of Me and the Overboard Companion, Me and the Devil Blues and Agonashi Gen to Ore Monogatari, all 540yen/volume.
I Am A Hero is 540yen too and goes up to volume 17.

Obviously not everything is available digitally plus ordering physical books can be a lot more annoying (and costly, since shipping and possible duty) but it's a sensible way to do it to support an author when people don't have a legal version available in their territory and the only way to read those works is through scanlations. Even buying a single book works out like a donation.

Zweizer

Banned
Hayachine! is disappointing but at least it makes me realized why Yotsubato! is great.

Well, I do like the setting and folklore bits, but otherwise I understand.

I don't know what you're talking about

Will the next 4koma erase our memories?

ShindoL has one~

But otherwise, language, geographical and physical barriers as mentioned previously.

Work has made it near impossible to read manga and watch anime but now I'm catching up on animu, next is manga. I'll be sure to get on the gravy train of NT... I mean glorious mindfuckery from Zweizer.

Teehee~
I await your impressions.

Jintor

Nobody talks like that because you'd say "I'm happy to serve you" not just "happy to serve" its just a weird fragment of a sentence. Its Engrish.

Are you kidding? Happy to serve makes complete sense even if you drop the "I'm." This isn't a language where you absolutely need the subject in a sentence. It's like "Happy to do it" or "Fine with it". It's colloquial sure, but it's perfectly acceptable English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom