• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ONE PIECE (Vol. 2): Buggy the Clown

Due to time constrictions and unabashed laziness, I've decided to cut out volume synopsis and just get down to impressions.
--------------------

This volume gave me what I wanted in the first volume: to see Zoro in action. Luffy ends up not doing much in the beginning to being captured, but This volume introduces Nami to the group. Nami is a lady thief who steals from pirates while also being a pretty good navigator and weather forecaster. While she doesn't start off particularly interesting and her tricking Luffy could be seen a mile away, it is funny seeing all her reactions to Luffy's antics and the casual banter between him and Zoro in the face of danger.

Onto the opposing side, this volume also had a really cool villain. I REALLY like Buggy the Clown. Ronald McDonald wishes he could be this badass. Everything from his design to his Devil Fruit abilities is awesome. His second mate Cabaji is pretty cool, too. It takes class to be able to sword fight on a unicycle, and his duel with Zoro was awesome. First Mate Mohji isn't as cool, but I give him props for being both a lion tamer and having the courage to keep his hair in such a stupid fashion. The final pages of this volume tease a proper battle between Luffy and Buggy, so things are going to get really fun.

Overall an improvement over the first volume.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Prison school 129-130

kaThDiO.jpg

This fucking manga.

Why is kiyoshi so amazing.

Prison School

Well the first few volumes can be pretty cringe-worthy in how awkward the whole thing is but as it goes on it becomes much more obviously self-parodic in nature notably with the shameless fanservice and ridiculous notions that pertains to one's way of life and beliefs yet remains a rather accurate portrayal as far as commentaries go of the challenges one must overcome in order to attain their goals as well as the strength of bonds old and new not to mention the importance of entrusting one's fate to the whims of the universe yet learning to overcome them and to never give up even when one's situation becomes most dire, because that's what the meaning of life is.

In other words, it's a metaphor for life. And asses. Endure and appreciate the madness that's life.

Also, the contrast between how realistic the art can be and how crazy some situations are is one of the series' strong points. The same contrast you notice in the dialogues: the characters are incredibly serious while they speak of something either frivolous or just outrageously stupid. I think it wouldn't be so hilarious, if it lacked this kind of contrasts.

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch130

A declaration that will be engraved unto our minds as one of the most influential of mankind's history.

Big One

Banned
Dragonball Z Vol. 6 - 12 (Freeza Arc)

So I finally finished it. I had to put it off for a bit cause BN.com shipped volume 8 weirdly. Anyway...

It was mostly good stuff. I thought parts in Namek drug out too much but aside from that there was a lot of awesome character arcs going on here. Both Vegeta and Goku develop quite bit as characters.

The action was mostly good, especially the final battle between Goku and Freeza, which unlike the original anime isn't going to take you, what, 20 episodes to complete? It only took me a couple of minutes of reading to complete their battle.

The battle between Goku and Freeza was just raw and brutal, probably the most intense fight in the series yet, which is fitting considering the context.

This arc gave closure to Goku I felt. Even though I feel it would've been better to end Goku dead rather than keeping him alive as a way to send off into the next generation with Gohan, I thought overall it was a pretty good arc where Goku from his humble beginnings became not only the saviour of the galaxy but also a true adult.

I do feel, however, that the Piccolo arc and Saiyan arc are a lot better, mainly cause a lot of the stuff in the Freeza arc felt very filler-ish and is stuff I could do without. The constant clashes with Zarbon and Dodoria and Freeza's other minions got really boring.

C+

Quasar

Orange Marmalade - That was really pretty good. And it went surprisingly dark and in places I didn't expect, even if the metaphors used were really pretty obvious and blunt.

Charade

D-Frag! 60

Sometimes I can't tell if what they're saying is super-meta or just a bad translation. Probably a little bit of both :D

Anyways, poor guy can't catch a break.

mjontrix

Kitsune no Akuma to Kuroi Grimoire 1-27 (END)

:scy:

Average averageness about an average MC and his average kitsune waifu. They get into a number of average battles with average demons wearing averagely designed lewd outfits. Art, writing and cast were pretty average. Ending was below average. Only read it if you picked [x] Touch fluffy tail deliberately the first time.

:)

Uwagaki 20.1

Yesssssss best girl won indeed!

Masamune-kun no Revenge 17

No this can't be happening...

Prison School 130

THIS IS THE ROCKET THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

Shengar

Well the first few volumes can be pretty cringe-worthy in how awkward the whole thing is but as it goes on it becomes much more obviously self-parodic in nature notably with the shameless fanservice and ridiculous notions that pertains to one's way of life and beliefs yet remains a rather accurate portrayal as far as commentaries go of the challenges one must overcome in order to attain their goals as well as the strength of bonds old and new not to mention the importance of entrusting one's fate to the whims of the universe yet learning to overcome them and to never give up even when one's situation becomes most dire, because that's what the meaning of life is.

In other words, it's a metaphor for life. And asses. Endure and appreciate the madness that's life.

chairmanthumbsup.png

Revo

So MangaGaf if you had to choose, which manga do you think is better? Tokyo Ghoul or Akame Ga Kill.

Tokyo Ghoul is soooooooooooooo much better

The only thing Akame ga Kill has going for it is edginess that will kill you if you get cut by it and Esdese.

Attack On Titan Volume 9

So begins the 3rd arc of the story where Titans have shown up in Wall Rose appearing to be under the command of what is referred to as the beast Titan.

Character wise the focus here apart from the main 3 seems to be about Sasha and Connie
As his village is all but wiped out
, two characters of the 104th I'm rather fond of.

Admittedly I haven't been able to read the series in two weeks so I'll need a recap before diving into volume 10 and Castle Utgard.

scy

Masamune-kun no Revenge 17 - Is this the start of the end or simply just some new information and then back to status quo? Dropping the "Piggy" bit makes me wonder.

Well, we'll see I guess.

kasane

Masamune-kun no Revenge 17 - Is this the start of the end or simply just some new information and then back to status quo? Dropping the "Piggy" bit makes me wonder.

Well, we'll see I guess.

CHOOSE HER
CHOOSE HER
CHOOSE HER

Quasar

tbh id rather see her take a hiatus

she has a baby unlike some other dude there *wink* and its better for her to take care of her family and have a break then return to her old pace

Yeah. So would I. Trying to do both seems not like the best idea.

Revo

Kuroko no Basket 272

Ennnnd already.

Tonari no Seki-kun 57

Those poor soldiers, they were just doing their job ;_;

War is hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom