• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Fragtime 11
fragtime11.png

yandere as fuck

Stretch 23

man the hatesex stretching chapter's gonna be incredible
lawd.png

OPM 49

about goddamn time this arc was over
inb4 murata redraws this half a dozen times

Tonari no Seki-kun 58

All those consecutive L's really did take their toll. :(

Tokyo Ghoul 10-32

this manga is so fucking good.

RIP Mado

Tsukiyama finally makes his appearance. Interesting how they basically switch the arcs around for the anime. Although I guess it makes sense since it's only 1-cour and they'll only get one more arc done. Starting with the Tsukiyama arc and ending with the Hinami arc will have much more impact.

The Quinque are interesting. Kinda sick in a lot of ways. Nice to see Mado get what was coming to him. Sick fuck.

kasane

Tokyo Ghoul 10-32

this manga is so fucking good.

RIP Mado

Tsukiyama finally makes his appearance. Interesting how they basically switch the arcs around for the anime. Although I guess it makes sense since it's only 1-cour and they'll only get one more arc done. Starting with the Tsukiyama arc and ending with the Hinami arc will have much more impact.

The Quinque are interesting. Kinda sick in a lot of ways. Nice to see Mado get what was coming to him. Sick fuck.
Needs an na release or we riot

Shengar

Art is amazing, yet distinctly different from Prison School. It's hard to believe they have the same author.
While they style is almost radically different, you can see similarity between them though:Great facial expression and the paneling leading to that. Prison School is better in the latter regard, but there's definitely a similarity, an Akira Hiramoto trademark.
what
What
WHAT
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
I see that someone haven't yet to put Hiramoto's name on the search engine.
prison school -

Behold, Art:

Absolutely wonderful

While they style is almost radically different, you can see similarity between them though:Great facial expression and the paneling leading to that. Prison School is better in the latter regard, but there's definitely a similarity, an Akira Hiramoto trademark.

Yes, I've started to see some similarity between the two, paneling and facial expressions are a big one, also the chapter covers.
The style being so different is what gets me.
I'd be rather pressed to find a bigger style and all around theme/setting change of a manga artist from one work to another.

prison school -

All caught up now.

Started from chapter one again and my opinion of those earlier chapters haven't changed: they're kinda boring, and dirty. The gross physicality of the Vice President is exaggerated and thrust upon the reader at every turn, communicating, perhaps, Hiramoto's own disgust at his creation. Whatever it is, it's not very enjoyable to read, and the character's lack of awareness regarding the sweaty, puddling theatricality of her own actions makes for a rather sterile experience. In a way it's the point of the character, and is given context later on with one of the flashback chapters, but it doesn't make the read any more enjoyable. And the humor is less sophisticated, reliant on immediate payoff for some puerile gag over exploiting the internal history and the social dynamics of the characters involved. But it all takes a turn, somewhere around where Kiyoshi and Hana's tussle happens, and culminating with the infamous - and amazing - ass-man chapter. Basically, I got over the hump.

I enjoyed it more and more after that. I am now fully caught up and the accruing absurdity of the cast and the story is just fucking great. It's just funnier now - note the wonderful timing and the setup of the gag involving Kiyoshi, the President, and the need to communicate to the boys their need for a rocket - and smarter, and more sensual. Prison School transcends smut!

Behold, Art:

Yeah, Prison School is smut in art form.

But TLRD is also amazing, it reached a new level of awesomeness in the lasts chapters.

Not sure which is the king of smut.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yes, I've started to see some similarity between the two, paneling and facial expressions are a big one, also the chapter covers.
The style being so different is what gets me.
I'd be rather pressed to find a bigger style and all around theme/setting change of a manga artist from one work to another.

If you look at everything else he has done Me and the Devil Blues is the odd one out.

PK Gaming

prison school -

All caught up now.
Ya, it definitely gets waaaaaaaay more enjoyable after the hump. It's like the author had this sexual quota with the vice prez to fill with each of the earlier chapters, which ended up taking unnecessary time and space. The later chapters devote less time to blatant smut (I mean it's still there, but not 24/7) and focus on stronger character interactions and varied shenanigans. And like you said, the humor gets a massive boost in quality too.

Huge shame the Prison School anime will probably only cover up to the USC expulsion arc.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, I always thought the vice-prez's exposure was hilarious, just from how blatant and over-the-top it was. It didn't even really feel sensual, just an excess of human flesh pushed into the viewer's eyes in every way possible.

PK Gaming

I dunno, I always thought the vice-prez's exposure was hilarious, just from how blatant and over-the-top it was. It didn't even really feel sensual, just an excess of human flesh pushed into the viewer's eyes in every way possible.

The only vice-prez gimmick I really enjoyed was the excessive sweating. It's goddamn hilarious.

How did it go? Meiko's bust is one meter 'round... God, Kate is a bitch. A gloriously triumphant bitch.

Undisputed Best Girl™

The era of Hana is over

Antiwhippy

I thought prison school has a ton of merchandise already.

FigureGAF taught me that anything lewd = figure manufacturers licking their lips.

Busaiku

Does Honey & Clover have any differences from the show?
Gonna get the show regardless, but I dunno if I should spend some extra for the comics.

Shengar

If you look at everything else he has done Me and the Devil Blues is the odd one out.
IIIRC, Me and the Devil Blue was Hiramoto second manga after he done 32 volume episodic gag manga. This one is particularly different from any of his work, in all things to be considered. I can tell that Hiramoto put all of his soul into this, only to be axed because it doesn't get enough popularity. Hiramoto probably went spirit-broken after that, and it tooks almost 4-5 years before he could get his sense back, but with pragmatism that is still doing smut manga.

Well, the other Hiramoto manga I read was Me and The Devil Blues, but I guess this is one of his peak perfomance just like now. There are many similarities between them, not only the paneling and detailed facial expression like I've been said before. The other similarities is how Hiramoto carefully plotting out his story, placing many foreshadowing here and there. Rarely any highlighted event that happened to character went waste, and this is particularly true for the earlier chapters of Prison School. So you see, the reason why Prison School could trascend smut manga not only because of Hiramoto's artwork, but also how he planned his manga.
I thought prison school has a ton of merchandise already.

FigureGAF taught me that anything lewd = figure manufacturers licking their lips.

This is why I wouldn't get my hands on female Barioth X and Lucina figure :<

Antiwhippy

It is pretty fascinating to read hiramoto's other works actually. Especially Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari. You can tell that he's trying to find his way art-wise and humour-wise when it comes to making stuff like prison school. Other than that though don't read it because it's complete shit.

If you think that there's a gap between Me and the Devil Blues and Prison School then you should read Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari. It is fucking rough.

Dresden

It is pretty fascinating to read hiramoto's other works actually. Especially Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari. You can tell that he's trying to find his way art-wise and humour-wise when it comes to making stuff like prison school. Other than that though don't read it because it's complete shit.

Yeah, Yarisugi is just pure trash. What a gutter.

If you think that there's a gap between Me and the Devil Blues and Prison School then you should read Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari. It is fucking rough.

Yeah, Yarisugi is just pure trash. What a gutter.

yea i read it recently and was like "wut?"

it was the perfect example of a draft manga where everything is rough/garbage and can later be used as reference for what to improve on in your next work.

wonzo

Banned

i want someone to translate his old NSFW 32 volume comedy NSFW

Renai Kaidan Sayoko-san 1-3

This is like if that dude in Sengoku Youko with all the spirits inside of him was an awkward girl starring in a romantic comedy.

Not bad so far, but there's something... off about it. I can't really figure out what, though.

Shengar

i want someone to translate his old NSFW 32 volume comedy NSFW

Holfy fucking shit. How the fuck he did managed to draw something like Andre's Andrenomic moment, let alone the spread page in Me and the Devil Blues when he started something like this. Maybe it just a single page with deliberate bad art, but still that is huge leap.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer 1-END

This is so chunnyi. And I love it also, MAJOR SPOILERS
This is more of a question but does Animus reincarnate into the "master" dude of the swordfish knight.I mean the whole 500 years thing, him being able to teleport himself and the whole making up for the karma.

Was a pretty good read.

Shengar

is Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer a slow burner? Because the first two volumes speak loudly of generic to me.

And why the hell they took so long to localized already finished manga. Almost 5 months and there are only two volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom