• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

RIP Illegal Rare.

I liked the ideas and the plot of Stealth Symphony, but executed badly and didn't gain traction so the execution became do the entire rest of the plot in a few chapters before it ends.

dramatis

Jump is technically rather well-rounded right now in terms of its offerings, no?

The major problem I see is that currently, the editors have yet to serialize something that can replace Naruto or Bleach. Which they should probably be doing instead of Sporting Salt.

Jump is technically rather well-rounded right now in terms of its offerings, no?

The major problem I see is that currently, the editors have yet to serialize something that can replace Naruto or Bleach. Which they should probably be doing instead of Sporting Salt.

They should probably allow a new series enough time to grow and gain an audience.

They seem to just cut anything that doesn't debut as a smash hit.

mjontrix

One more added week of hiatusxhiatus and I'll hopefully be seeing lots of best girl around neoGAF.

Naruto 590 (yes this is going to be painful)

HE SHOULD'VE ENDED IT WITH THE REVERSE HAREM TECHNIQUE BUT NOOOOO HAD TO STRETCH IT OT!

I'm guessing it ends at 600. So 10 chapters left by my estimates.

upandaway

They should probably allow a new series enough time to grow and gain an audience.

They seem to just cut anything that doesn't debut as a smash hit.
Jump's process involves gathering a bunch of newcomers of the same type, usually after there's room for it, throwing them all as hard as possible as fast as possible into the mag and seeing who survives the onslaught. That's how it was with Nisekoi and Haikyuu.

I'm guessing they'll wait until after Naruto's gone before attempting that kind of stunt, unless something breaks out in the meanwhile.

mjontrix

Third from the botton, beating Illegal which is ending next week and Mitsukubi thingy.

Damn japanese don't like Bleach - did Kubo pull a Kurogane or something?

If the anime comes back it'll probably move to the middle in ranks. But since it still sells tankos they probs won't axe it - plus it's been running for ages. And the non-japs love it - which they're going to figure out they need to survive if Japan's economy goes full south (which it will).

Jump's process involves gathering a bunch of newcomers of the same type, usually after there's room for it, throwing them all as hard as possible as fast as possible into the mag and seeing who survives the onslaught. That's how it was with Nisekoi and Haikyuu.

Yep.

it is there

readers just need to realize it and actually read it, instead of sticking to one major manga like glue.

I hope some readers will at least check that said series out when Naruto and Bleach hit retirement

You can say Assassination Classroom replace Bleach .
Think it sells even more than bleach now , Naruto going to be problem to replace .

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is there a link to the betting pool again?

I didn't enjoy Illegal Rare. Stealth Symphony I thought had a lot of potential but yhe author made a lot of rookie mistakes for an experienced mangaka. Everything was just pretty superficial, couldn't worldbuild properly. Ishoujo wasn't my cup of tea, indifferent. Soul Catcher(s) I absolutely adored, own yhe volumes. Hungry Joker was gone too soon.

Alright, thanks for going more in-depth.

AHEM
L30Gulq.jpg
AHEM!! AHEM!!

scy

Who knows. It will probably just be an epilogue chapter in Next, so it could. I'm hoping for future Kuroko x Momoi and with her being either pregnant or they've already had children. No reason to fear pissing off the Fujoshi fans since it has ended.

do they have witness protection? I feel like that'll be a necessary thing if that happened.

As much as I want it to.

So HxH's hiatus extends to 3 weeks now, we're so close lol

The end is nigh.

That is was what jump was hoping but it was not to be .

people didn't give the series a chance because

A) Jump was pushing it and human beings don't like things being forced on them

B) A Cooking Manga.... WHY SHOULD I READ THAT?!?! No Pretty boys or girls for fan service either?!?!? .... then the hateful bandwagoning begins

And with the recent chapters being any indication then we all know that it has a good Shonen Story... arguably better then Bleach and Naruto for the past year and a half

upandaway

Toriko never succeeded because the story has no emotion to anything that's going on, in the sense that there's no drama or tragedy or dilemma or anything. There isn't even anger because Toriko feels respect for the animals and all that.

I like mindless fighting on the side for what it's worth but man, even Fairy Tail did a better job on any other front.

Revo

Toriko never struck me as a cooking manga... more like a food manga.

And I never really cared about Toriko's fights, although it was better when Toriko was actively trying to complete his full course. Has he made any progress with that in 200 chapters? Cause it feels like he hasn't.

Toriko never succeeded because the story has no emotion to anything that's going on, in the sense that there's no drama or tragedy or dilemma or anything. There isn't even anger because Toriko feels respect for the animals and all that.

I like mindless fighting on the side for what it's worth but man, even Fairy Tail did a better job on any other front.
When the gang faces off against humans then there is a lot of emotion
plus Toriko doesn't have all that friend bullshit that Fairy Tail's been milking
People are intrigued about FT more so for the art then the overall plot
Toriko never struck me as a cooking manga... more like a food manga.

And I never really cared about Toriko's fights, although it was better when Toriko was actively trying to complete his full course. Has he made any progress with that in 200 chapters? Cause it feels like he hasn't.

He is finally moving forward to capturing Acacia's full course... likely he will gain some ingredients along the way

One Piece

GOD USSOP is here .
As we get closer to flashback time and the end of fights.

When the gang faces off against humans then there is a lot of emotion

plus Toriko doesn't have all that friend bullshit that Fairy Tail's been milking

People are intrigued about FT more so for the art then the overall plot

IMO i don't sense any really emotion in the fights or in the manga to tell the truth .
Also i think FT story line much more interesting than Toriko and i sure it's the same for a lot of people .
Toriko just have to many problems for it to get big .

whatever I give up

Fairy Tail's Friendship power >>>>> then Sting

and Natsu's OPness plus extreme fanservice is better then JOA/Neo/Blue Nitro + Gourmet World

don't forget that Erza can destroy all sub plot but man is that still a great PLOT

WAPAPAPAPAPAPPAAPPAPAP

WAPAPAPA

WAPAPPAPA D:<

zeromcd73

people didn't give the series a chance because

Bullshit.

Toriko had more promotion than any other manga ever has had for a series that sells as poorly (in this context) as it does. It got a Lead CP for both chapter 1 & 2, tons more Lead CP's, heavy marketing promotion when releasing both volume 1 & 2 at the same time, crossovers with Dragon Ball / One Piece, and the anime which was in one of the best time slots to attract large viewer attention.

People gave it a chance, they just didn't like it in masses and it's now outsold by Nisekoi.

And as for the editors trying to find something to replace Naruto/Bleach, AssClass and Haikyuu already outsell Bleach. If Haikyuu keeps increasing by another 150k than it might even catch up to Naruto. Shokugeki no Soma also has huge potential since it doesn't have an anime yet. If we are talking about the editors struggling to find hit 'battle' manga than that has certainly been a problem for a long time now.

dramatis

You can say Assassination Classroom replace Bleach .
Think it sells even more than bleach now , Naruto going to be problem to replace .
Sales-wise Assclass is a monster, but genre-wise I see Assclass as a comedy more than a battle shounen? Unless it did some slight genre shift since the last time I read it (which was quite a long while ago).

Bleach was overtaken by Kuroko and Assclass a long time ago. But I suppose it's still in the top 10 best-selling series of Jump itself.

AHEM

AHEM!! AHEM!!
Toriko passed its prime a while ago. Nowadays it's only selling a bit above Gintama, and that's after Gintama had a long decline in sales.

I suppose if you categorize it as 'battle shounen' in the same vein as the Big 3, Toriko can't replace any of them because even with marketing push it doesn't reach the same level in popularity and sales. I think a major factor is that Toriko isn't appealing to females.

In a sense I also wonder if the 'battle shounen' is a necessary genre anymore. It's been done to death by the Big 3, and recent shounen manga seem to be successful due to different aspects rather than through drawn out power level battles.

Naruto

And looks like that's the end for her. Wondering how much of their powers Naruto and Sasuke retain, as well as what is going to happen to Madara, the Bijou, and so on.

Revo

One Piece 758

Did we actually have an entire chapter about 1 area? And it was so enjoyable. And it showcased the huge growth in Usopp's sniping ability better than any other time yet?

Naruto's nearly over, OP had a good chapter, Bleach has had Mayuri shenanigans.

Am I dreaming?

In a sense I also wonder if the 'battle shounen' is a necessary genre anymore. It's been done to death by the Big 3, and recent shounen manga seem to be successful due to different aspects rather than through drawn out power level battles.

I think they will always try for a Battle shonen since nothing bring in sales like they do .
I guess it also depends on what you call battle shonen because some people call AOT battle shonen and we all know how that sells.

Panzon

Lmfao usopp is the fucking true god. I think its now confirmed he has observation haki. Straw hat crew is really starting to feel like they truly belong with the strongest pirates. The fight against dofla is gonna be too real. Great chapter

Bleach

barf. these stern ritter are the absolute most useless villain group, ever. They're so useless they all get curb stomped off screen.

Revo

Tokyo Ghoul 140

Is it someone else who damaged him or has Kaneki awakened more power?

The Gamer 52

Another chapter of basically nothing happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom