• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
He could have chosen any other name

There are a gazillion possible combinations of letters and/or words in the universe

gazillion

That was pretty clearly an intentional troll.

Nope, I also haven't read any Touhou manga since I became LA. I wanna check out the stuff mentioned in the OT and all the official stuff that came out recently.

Well, there weren't any particularily interesting releases these past few months. I do hope you've read at least one of Gensoukoumuten/Fantasy Engineering Works' books.

:<
I don't even have a spare Sakura. Well, I guess it's a pretty good indicator after all.

I do rather like Sakura Kyouko from Madoka.

upandaway

Yeah, I saw that one too, but that's just the pandering sex ending.
You're progressing normally without going for bad ends/stamps right? There's actually a bad end I really like I HF, but it's so easy to make the correct choice there.
In general I like FSN's bad ends, one of the few VNs where I felt like playing without a guide was the better experience.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no time or sympathy for Sakuras.

You're progressing normally without going for bad ends/stamps right? There's actually a bad end I really like I HF, but it's so easy to make the correct choice there.
In general I like FSN's bad ends, one of the few VNs where I felt like playing without a guide was the better experience.

I mean, you can just watch the bad ends on YouTube. The problem with VN choices is that its not necessarily apparent what any given choice will cause your character to do and/or how the other characters react to it.

upandaway

Nope, I also haven't read your post because I'm scared to death of spoilers. I actually hurt my finger from scrolling up too fast and hitting my keyboard so I am now an injured casualty.

I mean, you can just watch the bad ends on YouTube. The problem with VN choices is that its not necessarily apparent what any given choice will cause your character to do and/or how the other characters react to it.
But considering how easy it is to roll back, and how the bad end usually serves as a hint to the correct choice, there's more to gain than to lose by trying to guess and worst case reading a bit extra material. Usually the reason it's a bad end is something you couldn't have possibly known (to the contrary, it often serves as another mystery until it's explained in the plot later) so it's not like there's any intelligence or deduction involved, it's just seeing the what ifs to different actions which makes the story appear a bit more dynamic.

In any case if you finish the route and you're curious for the ending I was talking about feel free to ask me

14010423945441bs7632ssa.jpg

One Piece 758

No words.

Only a prayer for our lord and savior, God Usopp.

HF definitely had the best bad ends. Out of curiosity, are you referring to Mind of Steel or Sparks Liner High? I liked both a lot.

Zweizer

Banned
I hope you'll play Umineko soon. Probably my favorite VN (with the greatest soundtrack ever).

Daisuki Onnanoko wa Daisuki Desu ka? ch8

These shades.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I noticed iris zero was on the kindle, I bought it and..............

S8iFI9x.jpg

the pages are backwords too, I have to go right to left to flip this shit

17476675.jpg

I dislike all the endings in FSNs could be because when play it i was in one of my crazy moods lol .
I really should play it over but just feel like to much work now since i would have to get the game back .

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Slowly. I just hate Sakura too much to really dig in. Characters named Sakura are always the worst.

Haha unless you haven't read F/Z and don't know her predicament it'll probably make you dislike her more. I tried to kill her every opportunity I got, it obviously ends in fail or some good ends...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Haha unless you haven't read F/Z and don't know her predicament it'll probably make you dislike her more. I tried to kill her every opportunity I got, it obviously ends in fail or some good ends...

I saw F/Z's anime and already know at least a little bit about the dickworms.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Part of the problem is that UBW had an uncharacteristically happy ending (compared to Fate and Fate/Zero) and Heaven's Feel is the despair route from what I've heard.

Sure, Ilya and Saber die, but Ilya's just a construct that would die anyways and Saber at least got some closure that the Grail sucks. The problem with Fate is that Saber's internal conflict is actually kind of stupid.

TBF that was the point and a major part of the story. It's not happy for the sake of it.
Archer is fucked for all eternity, but the ending is supposed to represent hope for Shirou. much like how Saber is "saved" in fate and Sakura in HF, Shirou is saved in UBW.

Though ultimately the point of the route was regardless of the end of UBW or the end of UBW Shirou's life he wouldn't regret the path he made so the happiness is immaterial to Shirou. It matters more to Rin as unlike Shirou himself she actually cares about his happiness. What the future holds for those two is simply left ambiguous

Angry Grimace

Isn't Iris Zero on hiatus, or am I thinking of something else?

Its just bi-monthly now because the author has an illness.

TBF that was the point and a major part of the story. It's not happy for the sake of it.
Archer is fucked for all eternity, but the ending is supposed to represent hope for Shirou. much like how Saber is "saved" in fate and Sakura in HF, Shirou is saved in UBW.

Though ultimately the point of the route was regardless of the end of UBW or the end of UBW Shirou's life he wouldn't regret the path he made so the happiness is immaterial to Shirou. It matters more to Rin as unlike Shirou himself she actually cares about his happiness. What the future holds for those two is simply left ambiguous

I'm kind of confused. The true end of UBW didn't seem ambiguous at all for Rin or Shirou.

Such good taste~

Ironically, almost half the list is Mikorin with someone else.

Just missing Mikorin with Mikorin.

I'm curious as to why Kuroko ended so suddenly, especially since it's still quite popular and selling well right now. Perhaps another case of Bakuman?

I'm pretty surprised too, especially since they are still pushing it with another season of the anime and more merchandise than ever.

Not being caught up (or even started it), I wonder if maybe it was just a good place to stop it and not drag it out.

All went downhill from here.

Please Kingdom Hearts CLAMP is the best.

Technically, Sakura really is one of the weakest characters in Nozaki, but that only because everyone else is so strong.

Sakura has the making for the ultimate stalker. Just needs to show it off more.

things I did in my 3 days off:

Fuuka 1-28

alright, so... somehow this happened.

this is so far not nearly as terrible nor rage inducing as KNIM. BUT. It will be. I can feel it in my bones.

Haruna's a less annoying MC for starters. His shy nature can grate at times, but in general there's always someone there to pump him up/

Tama is shit tier. Completely uninteresting and will be the worst part of the love triangle.

Fuuka is pretty damn good though. Maybe she's just more my type. Short hair, super quirky, cute. She seems like a lot of fun.

Sara is kind of annoying, but her jealousy could be a good gag point every now and again (like her jabbing him with the guitar)

It definitely does have some dumb moments. Like that guy bottling him at the concert. Just... urgh.

I'll stick with it though. It's fine.

Koe no Katachi 1-50

Ok, this is incredible.

God the suffering from 42 on is real though. Holy molly.

the first volume was a tough read for me.

Kawai and Ueno are human garbage. Just complete pieces of shit. The absolute worst.

I genuinely hope Ishida is ok. I can at least appreciate that he's trying to make things right now, although it will never make up for what he did.

Nishimiya is heartbreaking. Just everything about her breaks my heart reading this. I hope things work out for them.

I was also doped up on pain killers last night and ended up buying a h-manga

don't let me get banned again guys.

upandaway

Brynhildr 79

I'm... pretty sure that's not how cyber warfare works.

Yeah that's absolutely not how cyber warfare works.

How did A Huge Battleship survive this chapter? Did he even? Was it a clone all this time?

Well, things happened. Everything was so predictable that I kinda zoned out for a bit, haha. Not much left to do besides the whole hatching thing.

Big One

Banned
Dragonball Z Volume 20-26 (Boo arc) FINISHED

I must say it's been a wild nostalgia trip. The last arc had a great closing to it, so to see this one follow it up with a new focus on Gohan, you'd think Toriyama would make Gohan the center of the story. Well I got some bad news for you...

This arc is all over the place. First it starts out with another Tenkaichi Budokai, which I'm excited seeing since the other ones were some of the best parts of this entire manga. What we got? Something lame instead. Fuck that shit. I will admit however the fight between Goten and Trunks was actually pretty fun, I wish we got some more of that cause Goku and Vegeta tearing it up in the ring would've been awesome.

I am NOT convinced people are so dumb they're fooled into believing Mr. Satan beat Cell and is the most powerful person ever whatsoever.

Anyway, it switches to the Boo storyline, in which there's a reverse Muscle Tower only not as awesome as shit gets a turned around once Vegeta allows himself to get taken over...which makes no sense cause the previous chapter he was acting like he DIDN'T want to be taken over.

I will however admit the controlled Vegeta storyline gave Vegeta the most character development he's ever gotten. Speaking of character development, the little arc between Mr. Satan and Boo and their developing friendship is awesome. If it wasn't for those assholes, Mr. Satan really would've saved the world from Boo. This arc made Mr. Satan worth something which is awesome considering he's a one-off joke character originally in the Android arc.

The Gotenks stuff was pretty fun as well, especially his interactions with Buu. I like the battles they had with each other as it was unique in that they were very humor based much like the stuff in early Dragonball.

It got less fun whenever Boo overpowered Gotenks and Gohan had to step up to the plate. Honestly, this is what really hurt this arc: Gohan getting bitched out. The whole point of Goku being dead is that he's pretty much dead for real. There's even a storyline where Goku teaches Goten and Trunks the fusion dance so the new generation can take his place. But it turns out the new generation isn't enough...which is stupid considering how much time Gohan spent awakening his latent powers.

I always thought Tenshinhan's inclusion in the battle between Boo and Gohan to be filler. Turns out it isn't. Huh.

The closure to the series was just meh overall. Goku and Vegeta fuse, Boo transforms, Goku saves the day by using the best Genki Dama ever. How many times does he have to use this thing? Well at least it worked this time I suppose. Then it skips ten years later and life is pretty average. Apparently a young skinny Indian boy who looks no stronger than Krillin is going to take Goku's place someday, and that's the end.

...Only thing I will ask about this arc: What's the point? Why does this arc exist? If you ask me this whole Majin storyline should've happened way earlier in the series, maybe taking place before the Saiyan arc and before Gohan is born. It would've fit a LOT better there imo, especially with the tone of the arc being more humorbased and whatnot. To me, Dragonball's best closing point was at the end of the Android arc, in which the world was put in Gohan's hands to protect, and really at that point everything that NEEDED to be covered, was covered. I feel like this arc was mainly made to appease fans need for more Dragonball, but it really doesn't do anything special or different to warrant it's existence I feel.

It's all over the place, but can be very funny and has a few glimmering moments.

D

Now it's time for a series rundown...arcs in order from best to worst, in my opinion:

1. Piccolo arc A
2. Saiyan arc B+
3. Android arc B
4. Freeza arc C
5. Search for Dragonballs arc C
6. Boo arc D
7. Red Ribbon Army arc D

Series Grade: B

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I bought O'Malley's Seconds on Kindle.

Fucking lol'd at the whitespace surrounding every "page".

Kindle has a long way to go before it's even a halfway competent device for reading comics.

Zweizer

Banned

Angry Grimace

Dragonball Z Volume 20-26 (Boo arc) FINISHED

I just assumed it kept going because Toriyama likes cash. There's never been any evidence to suggest someone "made him" keep going, I bet he just liked the cash train.

Big One

Banned
I just assumed it kept going because Toriyama likes cash. There's never been any evidence to suggest someone "made him" keep going, I bet he just liked the cash train.
But he never went through with it. In fact one could argue that the beginning of this arc was a new era in Dragonball cause Goku was no longer the protagonist. Then he just throws this concept away and we get the mess of the end we got instead which I thought was silly. I think Toriyama might've had bigger plans for Dragonball with Gohan as the main character, but just never went through with them for some reason.

The art style for example gets lazy, and him dropping plotlines in favor of others kind of suggests to me he was rushing things on through instead of pacing it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom