• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natsu no Zenjitsu vol 4 sidestory

A nice interlude of one the friends of the MC with conflicting feelings in between envy, being annoyed and adoration. Feels like a good relaxed slice of life-ish chapter, it comparison with the incipient romantic drama brewing in the main plot.

the old ones were terrible

how is the new one?

I have so many devices thats why i still don't have one. Also when it comes to books i much prefer physical copies

The Paperwhite is ace. The backlight is really good and it's quick at changing pages, even with manga.

it's super light, great for one hand reading. Also buying Kindle stuff is so much cheaper holy shit. At least half the price of physical copies and you get it instantly.

You can also use some workarounds to get scans on it if you want.

Hmm...

I have to say, while I'm for scy x Costi, Costi x scy sounds good too.

alright seriously where is all this coming from

you guys are weirding me out

scy

the old ones were terrible

how is the new one?

I have so many devices thats why i still don't have one. Also when it comes to books i much prefer physical copies

Just to chime in on this, I love my Paperwhite. While I would probably prefer physical copies, the fact of the matter is it's just really nice not having to deal with all the space (because all my bookshelves are full anyway) and the prices are really nice. It's just so easy to lie down and read a chapter or two (or book or two ... >>) with it. I suppose if I was more prone to just reclining somewhere and reading an actual book then it would be a different story but late night reading is just so much easier with my Kindle.

plus if I fall asleep with it in bed I don't wake up with possibly a damaged book so that's a plus

Hmm...

I have to say, while I'm for scy x Costi, Costi x scy sounds good too.

;__;

kasane

I guess i should pick one up

Are books discounted compared to physical? And yeah one my pet peeves about manga reading on mobile is hiw fast the pages switch. Ill look into one while i have extra monies

scy

It depends a lot on the publisher too. It's a point of contention at times I suppose but eh.

Most the things I've read in recent memory have been $2-$5. As new releases, that is. Not counting the free things from Kindle First.

Mortemis

Banned
The Breaker: NW 167

So can 9AD sober off of whatever drug they made him take so he can fuck up these annoying ass SUC guys. Plus Shioon needs to break that mustache guy's face in.

I just want to see some sort of action dammit. Last week we got something, give us more.

Dresden

The paperwhite made reading cool. Now when I thumb through some giant phantasy tract I don't look like a nerd, I look like a Renaissance Man with his tech-conscious approach to literary pastimes.

Also this way no one can see the cover of that Nisekoi volume you're reading.

VRMN

Nisekoi hidden depth cannot be understated.

Her previous attitude allowed her to stand out more from the rest of the cast, plus I feel we had more opportunities to see her amusing faces (which are also my favorite) whenever she reacted to just seeing Raku.
I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't think she's been in her halfhearted dere-in-denial phase long enough for me to say she still doesn't stand out just as much. Her reaction faces are still gold, after all.

In a weird way I think Haru might have the best chemistry with Raku, so her "hatred" of him, which was always based on a false assumption, was kind of a house of cards. It collapsed, the author had no idea what to do with her, so she disappeared. She's since come back, so I'd guess he has an idea as to how to handle her now.

The paperwhite made reading cool. Now when I thumb through some giant phantasy tract I don't look like a nerd, I look like a Renaissance Man with his tech-conscious approach to literary pastimes.

with Kindle, everything is Safe For Bus! ®

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Your worst nightmare:
LIB_Orion_10O7CNG-Interior.jpg

bigkrev

The Kindle is a wonderful device

dunno how I ever lived without one. Imma read so much more.

It's a great life improvement device

Want another one? Buy a shower Bluetooth speaker (or a shower radio if your cheap). Improves your mornings significantly.

I loved my Kindle DX, but it's too expensive to buy a new one (my old one broke). I currently have the Kindle 4, but really need a good excuse to upgrade.

Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime

Wow, the comic version is actual a very, very faithful adaptation that I couldn't find any single additional impression I'd level at the novel.

I do have some reservations regarding the Mime's narrative. The author misled the readers to think that the bolded texts are letters or thoughts from Shuji while in the twist it's revealed that they are in fact messages from Chia, written in her duck notebook. The novel straight-up lies about this, making her grandmother called Chia "a good boy" during the first narrative, then only changed it into "girl" after the reveal (also, referring to Hiro with "her"). I don't know whether it's also like this in the original Japanese version (in which case that's narrative dishonesty) or if it's only a problem with the localization (in which case the translator flubbed greatly), but it really took the impact away from the twist.

The comic version translated the line as "a good child", so there's that.

kasane

im proud of my waifus

wonzo

Banned
food smut 73-78
dominanodo20.jpg

i knew guro waifu reminded me of something (domina no do)

Kinda bummed out the assistant lost but that's what you get for going against the mighty power of the doner kebab.

dani_dc

I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't think she's been in her halfhearted dere-in-denial phase long enough for me to say she still doesn't stand out just as much. Her reaction faces are still gold, after all.

In a weird way I think Haru might have the best chemistry with Raku, so her "hatred" of him, which was always based on a false assumption, was kind of a house of cards. It collapsed, the author had no idea what to do with her, so she disappeared. She's since come back, so I'd guess he has an idea as to how to handle her now.

That's a fair analysis, hopefully you're correct and we get some good scenes with Haru next week (and going foward in the show), but as long as we keep getting her reactions I'm fine with her being around more often.

Log Horizon Vol.01

QdP7AZBl.jpg

Yes, this was good. Of course it was good. How could it not be good.

Trapped in a MMO but without any silly two worth of anticipation as part of it. It was a good read. I rather liked how as the plot was going there was a lot of detail about the mechanics of the game as well from different skills, the difference to the classes, game systems and whatever. It really helped with the world building that wasn't really there in the anime.

Reading about the characters thoughts also made it just as interesting as well. Really helped with feeling the emotions of the characters and how they are feeling after being trapped in a MMO.

Tempted in starting SAO just so I can compare haha...

scy

Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime

Wow, the comic version is actual a very, very faithful adaptation that I couldn't find any single additional impression I'd level at the novel.

I do have some reservations regarding the Mime's narrative. The author misled the readers to think that the bolded texts are letters or thoughts from Shuji while in the twist it's revealed that they are in fact messages from Chia, written in her duck notebook. The novel straight-up lies about this, making her grandmother called Chia "a good boy" during the first narrative, then only changed it into "girl" after the reveal (also, referring to Hiro with "her"). I don't know whether it's also like this in the original Japanese version (in which case that's narrative dishonesty) or if it's only a problem with the localization (in which case the translator flubbed greatly), but it really took the impact away from the twist.

The comic version translated the line as "a good child", so there's that.

About that:
It's mostly on the translation. The original japanese text uses a gender-neutral pronoun for the text ... sort of. I was actually fairly surprised that the novel didn't do the same as the manga where it used "he" but noted that the original text used a predominantly male-centric "neutral" pronoun. Also, the manga does the same in regards to Hiro by using "her" but in a neutral context as well, I believe (rather, it's just "ano ko" which is either "that girl" or "that boy"). It's really a peculiarity with Japanese where it has a variety of male/female pronouns that can be used freely to mean either way. As far as I can tell, the intent is to have it read he and she for the narrator and the one they date but using terms that can be interchanged. So I guess it's closer to "narrative dishonesty" but with it mostly being a language barrier issue. The closest to a "tighter" English translation would have been stuff like "that child" and "that person" but it kind of reads awkwardly

Edit: For instance, the dialogue with the grandmother would both times be written the same. It's that with context you know which gender it refers to instead of thinking it yourself. Here, "You're a good child" makes the most sense. The issue, then, is what happens when you get to the bit about Hiro where it's line after line of "her's" and "she's" that would be questionable to read as "That person" or "they" or whatever. Intentionally going out of your way to disguise the gender here for such a long period of time kind of gives away that the genders are relevant. Since the big twist is supposed to be that you're led to the conclusion that it's Shuji and Sakiko (so the reader most likely puts the "he" and "she" in their respective places) but it is in fact Chia and Hiro, I think it's fine for the translation to do what it did. Personal opinion at that point, I suppose

Lain

I've more or less read (i.e., I skipped around whenever it became unbearable) the first volume of Suzuka and it's exactly what I'd expect from Seo.

Well, the girl showing her tits when drunk and bitching that men are only looking at her tits outdid my expectations.

dumbyugi

Saki 130

Glad this boring flashback only lasted 2 chapters. At least it didn't happen in the middle of a game I guess. Next chapter might finally be the start of Nodoka's match! It better be anyway.

kasane

fuuka 24

Tama chan is best girl and winning girl so back off *rage*

For all we know tama chan is the daughter of the other girl from suzuka :[

scy

hmmm

i really need to check out the second novel since i bought it out of somewhat accidentally LOL

accidental purchases are the best purchases

Light Novel discussions remind me that I still need to read Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria but I keep buying random things to read pls send help

Rhapsody

Banned

Light Novel discussions remind me that I still need to read Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria but I keep buying random things to read pls send help

Think of all the bad manga you could read instead.

I was testing the purchase and honestly thought i had no or not enough money on it but then i saw it in the list haha.

hopefully i will get some time to read it :(.

kasane

dtective manga by ass class author

Respect the police? Lmao if the police actually did something good then people would respect you not fear your authority

Seiken Tsukai no World Break 01

ihsn8htl.png

Kids go to a school cause they are reincarnations of past heroes or whatever.

And then chunk in additional light novel tropes cause that's about all that's it.

Soma

Seven Deadly Sins Ch. 86

Aww yeah Ban hype.

Also anime broadcast details next issue yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seiken Tsukai no World Break 01

http://i.imgur.com/ihsn8htl.png[IMG]

Kids go to a school cause they are reincarnations of past heroes or whatever.

And then chunk in additional light novel tropes cause that's about all that's it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a worse version of bokura no kiseki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom