• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

sds -

lol

OboxLvH.png

Also, being King is suffering. ;_;

Fairy Tail Zero 01

Well this is more interesting. Learning about the origins of Fairy Tail is more interesting to know about than Gary and his little adventures.

About that:
It's mostly on the translation. The original japanese text uses a gender-neutral pronoun for the text ... sort of. I was actually fairly surprised that the novel didn't do the same as the manga where it used "he" but noted that the original text used a predominantly male-centric "neutral" pronoun. Also, the manga does the same in regards to Hiro by using "her" but in a neutral context as well, I believe (rather, it's just "ano ko" which is either "that girl" or "that boy"). It's really a peculiarity with Japanese where it has a variety of male/female pronouns that can be used freely to mean either way. As far as I can tell, the intent is to have it read he and she for the narrator and the one they date but using terms that can be interchanged. So I guess it's closer to "narrative dishonesty" but with it mostly being a language barrier issue. The closest to a "tighter" English translation would have been stuff like "that child" and "that person" but it kind of reads awkwardly

Edit: For instance, the dialogue with the grandmother would both times be written the same. It's that with context you know which gender it refers to instead of thinking it yourself. Here, "You're a good child" makes the most sense. The issue, then, is what happens when you get to the bit about Hiro where it's line after line of "her's" and "she's" that would be questionable to read as "That person" or "they" or whatever. Intentionally going out of your way to disguise the gender here for such a long period of time kind of gives away that the genders are relevant. Since the big twist is supposed to be that you're led to the conclusion that it's Shuji and Sakiko (so the reader most likely puts the "he" and "she" in their respective places) but it is in fact Chia and Hiro, I think it's fine for the translation to do what it did. Personal opinion at that point, I suppose
Mm, I am aware about Japanese's gender neutrality (my own language is also similar in that respect). This is actually always a problem with every English-translated Japanese mystery stories that I'm taking for granted it would always try to hide pronouns like every other works I've read (Aoyama Gosho's "that person" to Edogawa Rampo's "they") even if it'd sound slightly unnatural.

I guess if naturalness is a concern, the pronoun change in the passage about Hiro is unavoidable (the comic translation actually has a translator's notes here explaining how it could be "she" or "he", also ruining the twist a little, hmph). However, "good boy" is such a defining phrase which could be easily prevented, so I deplore.

In any case, on to Famished Spirit!

Charade

I think it's refreshing to see that, even though we all come from different walks of life, everyone has a little bit of hekk-hatred in them.

Heisei Umare 4

So many puns.

_hekk05

Banned
New serialisation: 三ツ首コンドル aka mitsu kubi kondoru by 石山谅

Serialised in Weekly Shounen Jump

Seems to be about a dungeon? (reads a bit more like labyrinth) robber, who has witch eyes, which allows him to do witching stuff. He also has a mimic familiar that does some shenanigans.

scy

WHY AM I READING THIS

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

someone has to be with me for the trash

Mm, I am aware about Japanese's gender neutrality (my own language is also similar in that respect). This is actually always a problem with every English-translated Japanese mystery stories that I'm taking for granted it would always try to hide pronouns like every other works I've read (Aoyama Gosho's "that person" to Edogawa Rampo's "they") even if it'd sound slightly unnatural.

I guess if naturalness is a concern, the pronoun change in the passage about Hiro is unavoidable (the comic translation actually has a translator's notes here explaining how it could be "she" or "he", also ruining the twist a little, hmph). However, "good boy" is such a defining phrase which could be easily prevented, so I deplore.

In any case, on to Famished Spirit!

That one I can agree with since the best translation for the line is actually "good child" with the gender left to the context. There's no reason to use it as "good boy" really. Like, the entire point is that the second bit of the diaries is that they're text-for-text the same as before except now with the context you need

I hope you enjoy it~~

_hekk05

Banned
New serialisation: 池袋スティングレイ aka Ikebukuro Stingray, by 别天荒人 (Betten Kouto)

Serialised in YOUNG Magazine

Seems to be about a compulsive gamber, who gets his hands on the stingray, something that looks like a smartphone. It it, there are requests (challenges?), such as attaining the emblem of a black Benz that belongs to the Yakuza. When you complete said request, you get the specified reward (along with a busty chick that suddenly appears that congratulates you and hands you the money).

kasane

Dungeon manga is gonna get cancelled unless it does something really solid or really well

But its jump so its cancelled

Seems to be about a dungeon? (reads a bit more like labyrinth) robber, who has witch eyes, which allows him to do witching stuff. He also has a mimic familiar that does some shenanigans.

and i thought we have seen enough horrible hairstyles LOL

Nordicus

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 26

Welp, the development from the confession of last chapter was woefully small, Shiragami still doesn't get that she's jealous.

2 more girls coming to the harem again? The teacher doesn't count (also the principal)... then again it'd probably be hilarious if she did.

Kurita

Seems cool.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch26

You know, it's been a while since I had so much trouble deciding which girl to root for.
Youko is still the most moe of them all~

I'm legitimately surprised that I have 0 interest in any of these new Jump serialisations.

Granted I'm not the biggest shounen-battle-manga-head, but I thought at least one would pique my interest.

Instead they all look like cancellations waiting to happen.

meanwhile....

One Piece Vol. 1 [ch. 1-8]

Opening is not as strong as Bleach, but I like the characters so far. I'm enjoying how absurdly dumb Luffy is.

Definitely think I'll enjoy this a lot when it picks up.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 26

wow, what a great chapter.

Aizawa was incredibly adorable in her yukata and all her blushy faces were great. I'm not rooting for her to be best girl, but she gained a lot of points this chapter.

Shiragami's face on the last page... finally realising that she likes him? That she's actually feeling jealous.

We got some actual plot progression here. Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom