• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasane

well the big 3 has been long drawn out and a lot of people got sick of it

the loyalists doesn't really want to hear criticisms about it (at least i think anyways)

Lain

Sword Art Online Aincrad has some bad looking art.
I find it weird when manga adaptions like this or Jigoku Shoujo get farmed out to certain artists. Don't they want this stuff to sell?

Akito

Long time no see ManGAF, I'm back from my vacation so I'm having quite a little to catch up. I used the flights as the opportunity to finally start with Kingdom, great stuff. Too bad I only had the first 30 vols on board since it was so gripping that I had to spoil myself on the Warring States period with wikipedia, feelsbadman.

PS: something for smutgaf, NSFW obviously.

_hekk05

Banned
Sword Art Online Aincrad has some bad looking art.
I find it weird when manga adaptions like this or Jigoku Shoujo get farmed out to certain artists. Don't they want this stuff to sell?

You're doing it wrong. The only SAO manga that matters is SAO:progressive

And I'm proud of you zweizer

Lain

You're doing it wrong. The only SAO manga that matters is SAO:progressive

Aincrad was the first one they put out here in Italy so I just grabbed it. I even bought the box with both volumes together. I hope the next stuff they release will be better.

upandaway

I just don't post
We buddies (for um, another 4 days)

I don't think this thread had much bad things to say about One Piece.
It's been pretty calm for the recent couple OTs but when Big One and Beam posted, the Big 3 got pretty much equal thrashing Wed-Fri.

As impossible as it sounds there were entire weeks where Naruto was the only manga to get honest, long discussions without much badmouthing, while OP and Bleach got to nuclear levels.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I got bored of One Piece, it just took too much effort to keep track of all the shit Oda's throwing at my face all the time.

It's not even a quick read like Bleach is.

Mortemis

Banned
I don't think this thread had much bad things to say about One Piece.

OP's a fucking mess right now though.
I got bored of One Piece, it just took too much effort to keep track of all the shit Oda's throwing at my face all the time.

It's not even a quick read like Bleach is.

I hold both Naruto and Bleach at such low standards that you'll rarely see me bash it. OP though I hold at higher standards so when I see shit I'll call it.

I like One Piece a lot, but I can say that Oda could really improve his panels (everything is a mess) and just the flow of chapters. The latest chapter is a good example. Too many unimportant characters getting screentime. How many times have we been teased with the Law backstory to not get it now?

Zweizer

Banned
For One Piece (and the Big 3 in general), there's always DTL's... unique impressions. I honestly have no idea of his position about them (and it's probably better that way), though one thing I'm almost certain of is that he ships Naruto x Sasuke (and seeing the direction of the manga, it's probably canon).

But yeah, One Piece after the timeskip is a rather mixed bag. Then again, it came after the rather climatic Whitebeard War arc.

Zweizer you're too humble
And I'm proud of you zweizer

Senpai, you are embarrassing me~ (๑′ᴗ‵๑)

Kurita

I never had any problems reading One Piece, you guys need your vision checked.

Jojo is the one where you have to stare at the panels 10 minutes before understanding what's going on.

haven't read OP for a while now but if its just the compliant of "messy panels" then i won't have a problem when i eventually return.

and with that i now totally don't read the big 3 anymore (Bleach is boring and Naruto is LOLOLOL no).

Oh. I only skimmed the last pages of the Naruto OT and was seeing some sort of shipping like Sasuke x Sakura because he grabbed her or something.

apparently, i just skim it once in a while

Biorg Trinity 9

I wouldnt want the series to go the route of hosa and fuji to somehow blend together or one vanishing through theit fusion. Theyre a great duo for this manga.

Plot based this was a fun chapter for the details of how biorg got its name and some of the rules regarding it. Musical fusion looked glorious.

Thus far my favorite seinen targetted manga.

upandaway

Jojo is the one where you have to stare at the panels 10 minutes before understanding what's going on.
I'm the same way honestly, I can read it fine. I do think though that it's sometimes ambiguous who says what when it's a bunch of non-main characters talking (like the Luffy army right now) but then again it's not really important to know who says what anyways.

Big One

Banned
haven't read OP for a while now but if its just the compliant of "messy panels" then i won't have a problem when i eventually return.
I don't see how this is even an issue. The panels are packed with content...so what? Most comics worldwide are just like this. One Piece is intended and designed to spend more time reading each of the panels than most manga are.

Mortemis

Banned

Yeah, I actually like the OP panels. My problem is when there's so much shit packed into a chapter and so much switching that it feels like nothing's happening. "Oh hey, look what's happening over here! Curious? Wait until later and look at what's happening over there!"

And I fucking love that so much.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm a big fan of Naruto, One Piece and Bleach (in that order), but I think when it comes to the Big 3 people inexplicably gives One Piece passes on things Naruto and Bleach get ripped to shreds over. Every fandom has its fanboys but from experience, I have yet to find any fandom more obnoxious than One Piece fanboys, and that's saying something given how crazy it was back in the day with Naruto fanboys.

Big One

Banned
oda cant draw coherent fights to save his (increasingly short-lived) life
In what way, exactly? I understand exactly what goes on every time, and you would to if you paid attention. The Big Three are all pretty coherent and easy to understand in fact.

If you want to see incoherent action read Trigun.

Currently OP is somewhat slowly getting repetitive

the only thing keeping it up is the emergence of characters that where hyped before and finally made a appearance or character that where teased by flashbacks/side stories/ chapter covers

so basically the characters are saving it right now

Mortemis

Banned
oda cant draw coherent fights to save his (increasingly short-lived) life

How so? I've never thought of incoherent when I see OP fights.

Currently OP is somewhat slowly getting repetitive

the only thing keeping it up is the emergence of characters that where hyped before and finally made a appearance or character that where teased by flashbacks/side stories/ chapter covers

so basically the characters are saving it right now

I can't agree with this. This arc's overall enjoyment is almost just as good as older arcs, maybe less but it's definitely not a huge drop. One Piece's overarching story is still interesting, and it's pretty disingenuous to say that only the characters are saving it. Also, when you say characters emerging, that's not really about said characters since we don't know much about them, it's more about foreshadowing which is apart of the story. So yeah, the story is still holding up. There's just a lack of focus in the recent chapters, since we're dealing with such a large cast and Oda isn't handling it as well as he was during Marineford. Once this arc starts to focus in more it'll be much better.

Some of OP's plotlines and arc structure are pretty repetitive though, so I can agree on that.

Charade

Hana to Uso to Makoto 2

x1LNjNB.png

Well this is still...odd.

actually there is one but it was talking about the final arc and not an official OT. Didn't last long though

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49646448#post49646448
oh
shame it died.... but then again the seires is about to end anyway
I can't agree with this. This arc's overall enjoyment is almost just as good as older arcs, maybe less but it's definitely not a huge drop. One Piece's overarching story is still interesting, and it's pretty disingenuous to say that only the characters are saving it. Also, when you say characters emerging, that's not really about said characters since we don't know much about them, it's more about foreshadowing which is apart of the story. So yeah, the story is still holding up. There's just a lack of focus in the recent chapters, since we're dealing with such a large cast and Oda isn't handling it as well as he was during Marineford. Once this arc starts to focus in more it'll be much better.

Some of OP's plotlines and arc structure are pretty repetitive though, so I can agree on that.

What I mean is that you can somewhat see a pattern on how Oda sets up an arc

with a evil dictator ruling a land.... said old rulers need help (sad backstory person)... separation of the Straw Hats .... and other things

it isn't extremely bad but the signs are slowly presenting itself

also what I mean about the characters is that their ambitions and effects throughout the world is what livens the story

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess all that OP stuff is legitimate. While the arc is probably my favorite post time skip, it has a lot of problems and isn't anywhere close to some of the past arcs.

When I mean past arcs, I mean the really big ones like Arabasta and CP9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom