• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamada & The Seven Witches 100

Expected something different for the 100th chapter. However for something to advance the plot it did make me chuckle a bit. I do wish the newer characters on the council were it. Though Miyamura getting angry (after having the funny mask scene) was good, hardly remember seeing him express anger in the past hundred chapters.

Kieli

The title had something to do with a garden.

Oh man, I laughed so hard. This is like the perfect parody of shoujo distilled into 15 or so pages.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how we can have 9 volumes of LN material. Either it's completely amazing or its more stretching going on that that stretching manga.
Well apparently it's ending on volume 10, so... yeah. Also it is basically like a poor man's version of toradora based on the spoilers I've read and what I've heard of toradora. His crush is dumb as hell though.

Talking about something else entirely that was just as good, today I had these for dinner, and kept eating them until 1 hour ago because they were too damn good:

I was supposed to eat only 4 or 5 tops, ended up eating 9.
Are these pierogi. those are delicious

damnit now I'm getting hungry

Well apparently it's ending on volume 10, so... yeah. Also it is basically like a poor man's version of toradora based on the spoilers I've read and what I've heard of toradora. His crush is dumb as hell though.

Only way to keep going so long is to copy it off something probably better.

Then again, it's a light novel, so not like those are the highest level of quality

scy

As far as I've read in the manga, I don't think I've actually seen his crush as a character that exists yet.

scy

I'm reminded that I have like all of Bungaku Shoujo sitting next to me but I keep putting it off because they're not on my Kindle.

Also, I have Words of Radiance to read.

...fuck.

Busaiku

iV4HsbR.png

That was cute.

Man, can't believe it's been 4 years.
Hikaru & Hikari ends whenever the magazine gets serialized again (or possibly when the volume comes out), but besides Himegoto and Super Family Complete, there aren't any ongoings left.
Wonder if the hiatus is maybe to change the formatting and secure some new series. At least I can hope.

I stopped reading Aunt Tits when he was basically forcing himself on his cousin. There's a point where "loolol he's a virgin and doesn't know what to do" crosses the line into creepy territory. Same thing happened in My Balls when he was checking to see if his crush slept around and it just came off as disturbing rather than funny.

UQ Holder 25
tumblr_n1y6y9XmzL1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Ill miss this arc, Tota grew so much, the antagonist was clearly interested and recognized his power, and it had amazing action scenes. Page spread was nice but I think CR positioned it wrong?

Arm wrestling so intense.

Toriko

Just caught up, fun read!

Q: Did anyone else feel the
timeskip
came out of the blue? Sorta mixed on its execution, but I'm still enjoying the series

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Omae o Otaku ni Shiteyaru kara, Ore o Riajuu ni Shitekure! 11 - I sat here for like 10 minutes trying to see if I could type the name from memory. I gave up.

I remember this series. Its the worst shit ever. Dude's pathetic and chicks is the most insufferable tsundere ever.

scy

I thought it was suggested that the event this month will bring news of DRRR!! s2.

Don't raise my hopes now.

ehhhhh... the economics... I read some of the manga adaption and wasn't interested

The Economics is pretty light in the grand scheme of things. I think the interactions are good enough to carry the story, even if the trade talk is boring :x

Can't say much for the manga, though. Only have experience with the Anime and novels.

I remember this series. Its the worst shit ever. Dude's pathetic and chicks is the most insufferable tsundere ever.

It's pretty shitty but I seem to enjoy shitty things.

Lain

I literally learned 2 days ago that Lamuros of Seven Colors, Sanbun Kyoden's masterpiece, had been completely translated.
Well, after reading it all, i can say that it was an epic tale of good versus evil in which love ends up conquering all. Even the bad guy, in his immoral, twisted way, simply wanted to love all of humanity.
It's probably one of the few works Sanbun made with a happy end.

Himitsu no Akuma-chan 01

Kurosaki Sou is a 16 year old who summons a devil to take his virginity. He hopes for a devil with flaming red hair, large horns, and black wings. He gets exactly what he wishes for, although he forgets something else rather important. Now he’s forced to live with this devil and has to think of a way to get rid of it, and most importantly – survive its lust.

This might be an amazing read.

Naruto spoilers are out.

- Kabuto's the one who saves Sasuke.
- Obito transfers the chakra to Naruto.
- Naruto apparently meets Rikudou or something. Magic Chakra Dream Land or some shit, I guess.
- Possible 7th/8th Gate from Gai.

Lain

Copernicus' Breath aka Copernicus no Kokyuu

A problem I've always had with yaoi manga, in addition to the bad art and weirdly proportioned hands, is its propensity for romanticising what we would otherwise identify as sexual assault. One character forces themselves on another, and the second comes to see their experience not as traumatic but as indicative of deeper sexual attraction and even love - not "he must've wanted it," but "I must've wanted it." The fact that it is typically written by what I presume are straight women makes it all come off like a weird combination of published rape fantasy and fetishization of gay men.

Copernicus no Kokyuu, a yaoi manga about a very sad clown living in a very sad circus, had been tabbed in my mental browser for a while, and for what I would discover to be valid reasons: it immediately and bluntly dismantled two of my objections, and made the third irrelevant. Firstly, while the comic features sexual aggression and fucked-up relations from the
incestuous
coercion end of the spectrum all the way up to assault, from verbal to physical abuse, it takes them all -completely- seriously and never trivializes any of it. In fact, it is so serious and grim that at times it borders on being an insufferable misery party. (Then again, we already knew from Midori that circuses promise nothing but a life of inescapable tragedy. I find it sickly amusing that these works link back to each other on MU's database.)

The writing is generally decent and the characters even somewhat nuanced in all their sadly sad sadness, but it is the second and strongest feature on display that makes the story gripping and actively difficult to drop. The art is wild, frequently experimental, and nearly always beautiful, ranging from something like this:

to less abstract but equally bold black & white character artwork:

Funnily enough, the graphic sex scenes - and, fair warning to the squeamish, this comic is very much NSFW - are also easily the least interesting thing to look at, perhaps as a consequence of being the easiest bits to figure out exactly what is happening in the picture. They certainly serve the narrative functions I've described above - along with the presence of a few legitimate, non-abusive scenes of lovemaking I feel I should note in fairness to the mangaka - but in this sense I can't help but feel they're also a tad exploitative. It's a perhaps small reason why I'm hesitant to call this a favorite, although the other positives mostly overwhelm it, me being the fan of horror and horrifying tales that I am.

Oh, and the people are still weirdly proportioned, but why complain with such sumptuous and dynamic art? It has certainly and easily succeeded in interesting me in the rest of Nakamura Asumiko's work.

I skimmed this post the first time, but after re-reading it, I see that this story is by the same author of Utsubora, which I really loved. I guess I'll be reading this soon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Naruto spoilers are out.

- Kabuto's the one who saves Sasuke.
- Obito transfers the chakra to Naruto.
- Naruto apparently meets Rikudou or something. Magic Chakra Dream Land or some shit, I guess.
- Possible 7th/8th Gate from Gai.

What the fuck at that first one. Seriously?

Lol @ Naruto spoilers, dunno if they are legit though.

Bleach spoilers

Yachiru continues to attack V, but same as before the attack landed but didnt hit. Yachiru hurts her back

Yachiru takes her zanpakutou from a box/luggage. Yachiru unsheathes her sword and v's nose is hurt

Yachiru's attack is kind of three in one attack.

Yachiru is very fast confirmed

Naruto spoilers

Naruto is still unconscious
Obito is getting weaker
Gai wants to use a forbidden jutsu to seal Madara (So he isn't going to use the Eight Gates)
Kabuto is revealed as the person next to Sasuke
Sasuke's eyes go black (Black 'Zetsu' chakra causing a change?)
Chapter ends with Naruto looking at a shadowy figure.

It confirms the one that was posted some posts ago and adds more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom