• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
to drift between sleep and wakefulness うつらうつら utsura-utsura

Best language.

What that says to me is that the "steaaam" is not actually a literal sound, but more of a description that is written in the same manner as a sound.

Lain

Right, it laid the foundation for popularity later, but that's still another part of the equation -- what led to licensors willing to take more of a chance on anime back then in Europe than in the U.S?

Anime was cheap to license, with a lot of content to fill TV channels with stuff to watch. In Italy Berlusconi at the time needed content for his TV channels for example and what better than cheap anime? It was perfect also because he needed something to attract younger watchers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What that says to me is that the "steaaam" is not actually a literal sound, but more of a description that is written in the same manner as a sound.

Should've just included a "translator's note" instead of trying to create a hackneyed barbaric western analog to an indefinably beautiful eastern concept.

upandaway

I don't know that the lack of convention is that big of a deal. They could just make a poll that lists out these stuff ("steam", "sizzle") and get some mass of votes to use as a guideline across all translations inside the company.

What sound would you say steam makes, as text? ____

Lain

Berlusconi did at least one good thing.

But then he gave some of that stuff to butchers to localize, so we ended up with Orange Road turning in "E' quasi magia Johnny", with the trio of main character getting called Johnny (Kyōsuke Kasuga), Sabrina (Madoka Ayukawa) and Tinetta (Hikaru Hiyama).

Lirlond

Seven Deadly Sins 70

Holy shit Gowther is absolutely terrifying.

viUxNAd.png

Charade

A sound effect of steam would probably be something like "Ssssssss" or "Pssssssss," which would look even more ridiculous imo

Should've just included a "translator's note" instead of trying to create a hackneyed barbaric western analog to an indefinably beautiful eastern concept.

Why even bother translating it. Just leave it in Japanese and let our mind imagine what kind of sound it is making.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous 3-4
Ah, so we're getting into the school itself now. I thought it was too black and white when they introduced the two factions, so I'm curious how this will turn out. The protagonist is pretty cool (I'm guessing he's the protagonist, unless we're getting a protagonist for each side).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A sound effect of steam would probably be something like "Ssssssss" or "Pssssssss," which would look even more ridiculous imo

Assuming its an actual sound, it would probably be written as "sizzle." I'm inclined to think its not a literal sound though based on the fact there are "sounds" for all sorts of things that aren't literal sounds.

scy

Alternatively, just get super loose with things and have it be more of a presenting sort of thing rather than needing to be super literal here and try to figure out a way to make "steeeam" not seem so silly.

Then again, it really doesn't matter in the end :x

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous 4 - So I guess we're going to set things up with the Student Council being evil. I'm still holding onto my delusions that Saki wasn't death flagged to hell and back. I like my happy endings.

For lack of better ways to put it, main guy has got some balls on him.

Angry Grimace

The "most overpowered characters" thread in the OT instantly made me think of Madara Uchiha, not because he's actually the most overpowered on an objective scale of physical might, but simply because it makes no contextual sense how powerful he is. There's simply no reason given for why he's strong enough to beat up everyone in the world at the same time.

Alternatively, just get super loose with things and have it be more of a presenting sort of thing rather than needing to be super literal here and try to figure out a way to make "steeeam" not seem so silly.

Then again, it really doesn't matter in the end :x

We are giving sound effects a lot attention that what they are normally used to at least.

Charade

Assuming its an actual sound, it would probably be written as "sizzle." I'm inclined to think its not a literal sound though based on the fact there are "sounds" for all sorts of things that aren't literal sounds.

Sizzle is much better considering its an actual onomatopoeia yeah. There were two distinct sounds in the original japanese tho (the "hoku" dakku mentioned and "juku" I think it says, I may be wrong). I guess Viz was hard pressed to find a second sound word for hot food.

Anyways, I agree they would be better served to leave it as is, lol

Angry Grimace

If a bell rings, it should say "ding-dong." If its an untranslatable concept, like the sound of steam, they should just keep the moonrunes in place and put a T/N at the bottom because that way the reader can simply infer an untranslatable concept.

Wiseblade

I've said it before, but I hate Japanese onomatopoeia. Unless it's an ES21 situation where the author is doing something interesting with it, then I want it translated. "STEEEEAM" is goofy though, even "hsssssssss" would have been better.

Haly

If a bell rings, it should say "ding-dong." If its an untranslatable concept, like the sound of steam, they should just keep the moonrunes in place and put a T/N at the bottom because that way the reader can simply infer an untranslatable concept.

I think switching between the two will wind up diluting the cohesiveness of the visuals. I'm in favor of an all or nothing approach.

Angry Grimace

I think switching between the two will wind up diluting the cohesiveness of the visuals. I'm in favor of an all or nothing approach.

That's the other side of the coin. Its probably just easier to be consistent. Of course, the current amateur scans simply don't explain any of the sounds, and I never missed anything because I don't really notice the sound effects often.

Haly

That's the other side of the coin. Its probably just easier to be consistent. Of course, the current amateur scans simply don't explain any of the sounds, and I never missed anything.

If nothing else, because of the stylized script of the onomatopoeia, I always got the "emotional" impact of the sounds, even if I couldn't read them.

Wiseblade

The "most overpowered characters" thread in the OT instantly made me think of Madara Uchiha, not because he's actually the most overpowered on an objective scale of physical might, but simply because it makes no contextual sense how powerful he is. There's simply no reason given for why he's strong enough to beat up everyone in the world at the same time.
Yeah, even if you take away the rinnegan powers, he still demonstrated himself to be more than powerful enough to win wars single-handed. It's a wonder why he even bpthers with a mass hypnosis plan when conquering the world would probably have been easier and quicker.

Wiseblade

That's the other side of the coin. Its probably just easier to be consistent. Of course, the current amateur scans simply don't explain any of the sounds, and I never missed anything because I don't really notice the sound effects often.
All I know is that I don't mind the sound effects in my One Piece volumes, but hate the ones in my Yotsuba& volume (I hate the honorifics, too).

Angry Grimace

Yeah, even if you take away the rinnegan powers, he still demonstrated himself to be more than powerful enough to win wars single-handed. It's a wonder why he even bpthers with a mass hypnosis plan when conquering the world would probably have been easier and quicker.

Pretty much. He could just sit around being Kefka and dropping meteors on anyone who gets into a dispute.

scy

It's more interesting this way. Who likes to take the easy way out~

But, seriously, Madara's strength makes little sense since wasn't he already beaten once before? Maybe I'm forgetting stuff.

Wiseblade

It's more interesting this way. Who likes to take the easy way out~

But, seriously, Madara's strength makes little sense since wasn't he already beaten once before? Maybe I'm forgetting stuff.
Yeah, by Hashirama. Which became a bit of a stretch once Madara started THROWING AROUND METEORS.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Madara is overpowered to hell for no good reason.

Koi Dano Ai Dano 25-26
A Tsujita Ririko day isn't complete without this. I'm a fan of Sayuri so these chapters developing her are hitting the spot. And of course Tsubaki gets cock-blocked right when he has Kanoko where he wants her. I can't believe how clueless she is toward him, you'd think if I guy pushed you down and was getting closer, you'd suspect he felt something to you.

Hopefully the next chapter is released soon.

Seishun Pop! 45

Dude should've proclaimed his undying love for his sister right there on stage. The Incest jokes / merchandise would've turned the group into the stuff of legends. Anyway, 2 chapters left, still hoping to see Ayano disembowel someone.

Which series had the highest quality waifus?

When I'm pressed to think about it, my mind is suddenly blank.

I'm referring to harems, by the way. Not single waifus.

It's Date A Live. Date A Live, right? Yeah, it's Date A Live.

I feel like this was on purpose.

Anyway, if anything I think you're my resident "someone in this might kill someone" suggestions guy. But that's really all based off of Screaming Lesson posts forever ago.
"Cute girls doing cute suffering" is more my thing, but I'll gladly take that.

scy

Seishun Pop! 45

Dude should've proclaimed his undying love for his sister right there on stage. The Incest jokes / merchandise would've turned the group into the stuff of legends. Anyway, 2 chapters left, still hoping to see Ayano disembowel someone.

This is why I'm still reading it. Both the sister route and potential murdering.

"Cute girls doing cute suffering" is more my thing, but I'll gladly take that.

Ah, right, I forgot the cute girls part.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
It's Date A Live. Date A Live, right? Yeah, it's Date A Live.
So that's where your avatar is from.

Speaking of avatars, I need a better one. I just google'd an image of awesome sauce for my current one. :(

Koi Dano Ai Dano 27 spoilers
dat kiss. wish I knew what they were saying leading up to that tho

Lain

The BOOM doesn't look bad.

The BASHOOMM looks silly though.

Apart from the bashoom being a bit too overbearing on the art, I feel both looks pretty good.
Comparing it to the original, I have to say they did a pretty good job at keeping it similar (the bashoom is taking a bit too much space though).

I stick by my gif placement.

There are other girls besides Takao in D-Frag?

Best wife Funabori, little sister element Noe, no twintail Tama, Pukey, ponytail Chitose, trolling Water, yami Roka, big sis Kusshi senpai, and sigh sucker Hata.

Food Wars Shokugeki no Soma v1 ch1

I think viz did a great job. The foods actually look edible and actually delicious (Viz on left).. Cant wait to see how many more will look in the future.

I hate how big Food Wars is on the cover.

scy

I stick by my gif placement.

Best wife Funabori, little sister element Noe, no twintail Tama, Pukey, ponytail Chitose, trolling Water, yami Roka, big sis Kusshi senpai, and sigh sucker Hata.

I wish Tama had a bigger role.

Also, we can't forget the childhood friend Mogusa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom