• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charade

Moon, World, and Stars 1

SOpBAaN.png

Aspiring singer chases her idol by enrolling in an elite music academy that's quite cut-throat. There's also a pairing system (a singer with a composer) that's thinly veiled take on marriage. I'm curious as to whether this will actually be a "rise to the top" sort of deal or mainly focus on the relationships (or both I guess). Pretty art and a semi-interesting start (albeit very very cliched), but I can sense the angst already.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, mangaGAF, can you tell me examples of mangas that practically gave birth to a genre?

Like Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina, who practically gave birth to the all the Harem type mangas we have today.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, mangaGAF, can you tell me examples of mangas that practically gave birth to a genre?

Like Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina, who practically gave birth to the all the Harem type mangas we have today.

Eh.

I'd say rumiko takahashi gave birth to the harem, but harem mangas nowadays don't have the same humour and that's why modern harem sucks. I'm nearly 100% positive that rumiko was the one who came up with the tsundere main heroine lead which is why every harem has a goddamn tsundere as the main lead now.

Osamu Tezuka Princess Knight - The precursor to Shoujo mangas.

Also while Dragonball Z isn't actually original, think of it as the Jaws of manga.

dumbyugi

Love Hina and Tenchi are the series that gave us a lot of the popular harem tropes but neither were the first harem series. Dragonball and Fist of the North Star are the series most commonly cited as the start of modern action shonen tropes. Tezuka's series would be considered by most to be the birth of quite a few different genres.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Uwagaki 13

D6T5oa1.png

Dude, how weak do you have to be to fracture your hand by punching a dude in the head, while the other dude barely sustained any damage?

Also, I understand his sentiment, but if the guy feels like he doesn't love the girl then just leave him.

Love Hina and Tenchi are the series that gave us a lot of the popular harem tropes but neither were the first harem series. Dragonball and Fist of the North Star are the series most commonly cited as the start of modern action shonen tropes. Tezuka's series would be considered by most to be the birth of quite a few different genres.

Osamu Tezuka was so ahead of his time that it's not even funny.

If you haven't, read some of his well known adult works and also his biography. The way he handles everything from manga, story, anime adaptations and the Star System was amazing.

Lain

I can tell you that ShindoL wants to give birth to the pregnant woman that comes as she's giving birth and getting stomped on genre, or something. Google translator wasn't all that clear (or useful).
しかしどういうエロ漫画作りたい?と聞かれても困りますよね。 その日で描きたいもの変わりますし… かと言って妊婦さんの腹ストンピングで強制出産アクメさせたいです!っていうと誤解されそうですし…  意外と難しい質問ですね。

kasane

If you haven't, read some of his well known adult works and also his biography. The way he handles everything from manga, story, anime adaptations and the Star System was amazing.

one of the reasons im looking for physical tezuka works

when i have the monies

I can tell you that ShindoL wants to give birth to the pregnant woman that comes as she's giving birth and getting stomped on genre, or something. Google translator wasn't all that clear (or useful).

ShindoL is a legend

dumbyugi

Azumanga Daioh is pretty much the birth of the all girls 4koma. I'm sure it wasn't the first but it's the big one that all the rest have tried to replicate.

His work can be hard to get into if you're used to reading more modern manga but most of them are worth a read. Even though Astroboy is his best known work it definitely not his best, I personally like Book of Human Insects and Princess Knight the best.

neoanarch

Yoshihiro Tatsumi is very influential in the existence of darker, grittier and aimed at older audiences MANGA. He was just as influential as Tezuka, and Tezukas own later revered works Buddha and Pheonix were influenced by his style.
Gekiga

Check out the movie Tatsumi. A film that is part biographical and part adaptation of his work.

Erigu

Fukui Eiichi's Igaguri Kun (1952) for the spokon and "martial arts/fighting" genres, Motomura Miyoko's Oku Sama wa 18 Sai (1969) for the romantic comedy, Tsunoda Jirô's Hatsu no Wana (1969) for the mahjong genre... Not en easy question.

I'd say rumiko takahashi gave birth to the harem
Yep, Urusei Yatsura (1978) probably started that one.

(oh, Google translator-tan, you're still so pure...)
"I'd like a pregnant woman to get an orgasm out of a forced birth induced by her belly getting stomped!"
Pretty sure he did that one already.

Lain

(oh, Google translator-tan, you're still so pure...)
"I'd like a pregnant woman to get an orgasm out of a forced birth induced by her belly getting stomped!"
Pretty sure he did that one already.

/bow Erigu, now that's a useful translation.

Erigu

/bow Erigu, now that's a useful translation.
The entire sentence, for the record:
"Still, I never really know what to say when I'm asked what kind of erotic manga I'd like to draw. That tends to vary from one day to the next anyway, so... And they might get the wrong idea if I went "a pregnant woman who gets an orgasm out of a forced birth induced by her belly getting stomped!"... Quite the tough question, actually."

Itou-san 1-8 (END)
Failed the basic test for being a light novel MC.

Collection of short romance stories by Aki Eda. I was never particularly fond of her Touhou work (doujin or official), and despite the frequent adorableness in this collection, it didn't alter my opinion of her.

Haikyuu!! 99 - 100
BjK56SJCMAAYIYu.png

This game against Ougiminami is going good to being an intense first prelim match for Karasuno. I tihnk its clear who will win based on plot and all of that but they are still a fun team and their past capt is quite the character.

Tsukki block and Hinata spike for best moments.

Radec

I just read the latest Naruto.

Holy fuck @ Guy.

Went full Trance.

He'll probably die in 1-2 chapters though. :/

- -

also Bleach.

I completely forgot about Unohana been fighting against Zaraki.

kasane

I knew better but I still thought there might've been a new Itoshi no Karin chapter ;__;

Shishunki no Iron Maiden 30 - "Bye Bye my Love"

;___;

best girl never wins

Iron maiden 30

so this is the classic ill fucking hit you but i decided to kiss you instead

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For every girl that wins, at least 2 others must lose.

Harem is suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom