• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
You think i would forget? I never forget!
No point apologising over being 100% right.
camby.png

I think I gave up on Toriko

The alright story isn't good enough to carry the atrocious art.

I'm ok with it now after it went through its stupid Unlimited Cliffhanger Works and all that boring and bad fighting.

I only really liked it when it was about exploring the world and all those silly food we saw.

LeleSocho

Banned
i am shaking my head so hard at you guys right now that i became shake itself.

Ootagawa Junjou Lovers 1-4(END)
A short romance that feels suddenly abrupted in the most important part of the story.

Shouta

AKB49 176

Idols in a burning studio. This entire arc is almost surreal, lol. So much shit happening to sabotage the special and they just keep ding crazier stuff. Feels like they're gonna do the reveal, at least from the last few chapters and it'd be an interesting place to do it but I wonder.

Seven Deadly Sins 72

King is pissed, so pissed.

I'm ok with it now after it went through its stupid Unlimited Cliffhanger Works and all that boring and bad fighting.

I only really liked it when it was about exploring the world and all those silly food we saw.

I guess I just don't find black and white food that appealing. Food fatigue almost hit me in Soma as well but Alice is too awesome.

I was thinking of learning something on the touhou world, is there a manga that goes through the story of the games?
Even roughly is enough, i just want to familiarize with the characters and the setting.
Avoid the official manga, since they're not suited as introductory material. Some of the doujins are basically retellings of the games, and the quality is often surprisingly high. Unfortunately I stopped reading them years ago so I can't really remember any specific circles/names, but FLIPFLOPs probably did at least one retelling.

Incidentally, beware of misinformation about who the best character is. The actual best character is called Satori Komeiji and looks like this:

89758493jespt.jpg

dumbyugi

Avoid the official manga, since they're not suited as introductory material. Some of the doujins are basically retellings of the games, and the quality is often surprisingly high. Unfortunately I stopped reading them years ago so I can't really remember any specific circles/names, but FLIPFLOPs probably did at least one retelling.

Incidentally, beware of misinformation about who the best character is. The actual best character is called Satori Komeiji and looks like this:

89758493jespt.jpg

Satori's good but Marisa is still the best. Sakuya is the 2nd best.

Toriko 1 - 144:
I'm really feeling this. Very interesting to go from Yu-Yu Hakusho to this. Pretty decent stuff. The whole "gourmet cells" thing is actually neat.

dumbyugi

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun 69

RIP Right Hand.

And then suddenly a dragon comes out

What the hell is going on.

The
dragon hand thing
happens in Index as well, in the arc with the "vampire" girl. It's not actually explained until much much later though.

The
dragon hand thing
happens in Index as well, in the arc with the "vampire" girl. It's not actually explained until much much later though.

I think it's really due to the fact that I'm reading Railgun and Index at the same time and the characters are overlapping for both of these arcs so I just have no idea what's going on anymore.

Though the dragon hand was just funny in general

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - Sasayan's Story 2

My god, so good.

This focus on it, it is pretty interesting how it was in the background of the main Haru/Mitty plot.

But still so good.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Quasar

Ran across my first k-manga. Have to say I found it hard reading. Took me long enough to get used to reading j-manga with its reverse flow compared to western comics.

Another things thats weird, and its odd to say, is seeing the korean words for all the terms normal japanese terms such as sempai. Is korean culture even setup that way? the thing I'm reading is a school set manga and its like reading a japanese manga but all the normally untranslated japanese terms (such as sempai, kohai, sensei, onee-chan, etc) are just now in korean. Its weird. I'm not sure why.

Nyoro SF

This is a long shot, but I'm out of options.

I'm trying to remember the name of a manga where a guy moves into a "haunted" house, but the girl ghost spirit who tries to chase him away doesn't phase him in the slightest and he makes lots of jokes at her expense.

It was quite funny, but it's been so long I don't remember the name...

I'm trying to remember the name of a manga where a guy moves into a "haunted" house, but the girl ghost spirit who tries to chase him away doesn't phase him in the slightest and he makes lots of jokes at her expense.

It might be Zettai Reiiki though it might not be.

Guy moves into haunted apartment, girl ghost tries to chase him away, he falls in love with her, etc, etc.

Ran across my first k-manga. Have to say I found it hard reading. Took me long enough to get used to reading j-manga with its reverse flow compared to western comics.

Another things thats weird, and its odd to say, is seeing the korean words for all the terms normal japanese terms such as sempai. Is korean culture even setup that way? the thing I'm reading is a school set manga and its like reading a japanese manga but all the normally untranslated japanese terms (such as sempai, kohai, sensei, onee-chan, etc) are just now in korean. Its weird. I'm not sure why.

I don't know much about Korean but I do know that there are honorifics and things like that. It's kind of weird getting used to them but it doesn't really matter.

The only thing about K-Manga that is weird is that the majority is read the western way but there's always one or two that are like a japanese one, for no reason at all.

wonzo

Banned

My Lovely Ghost Kana?

Quasar

I don't know much about Korean but I do know that there are honorifics and things like that. It's kind of weird getting used to them but it doesn't really matter.

The only thing about K-Manga that is weird is that the majority is read the western way but there's always one or two that are like a japanese one, for no reason at all.

Oh so that's not even consistent. The direction is why I said it was so hard for me to read. It took me a good while for me as a lifelong western comic fan to get used to the reverse direction of j-manga. So reading this i was frequently confused about which bubbles and which direction to read panel flow.

scy

Oh so that's not even consistent. The direction is why I said it was so hard for me to read. It took me a good while for me as a lifelong western comic fan to get used to the reverse direction of j-manga. So reading this i was frequently confused about which bubbles and which direction to read panel flow.

That and the pages where it sort of makes sense either way and you end up seriously mind fucked.

Charade

I don't read many manhwas but I always have a heck of a time trying to remember character names. Probably just need more exposure.

Dresden

kekkon yubiwa monogatari - 1

Maybe's new series, less gothic, more cheesecake. Feels incredibly generic, but I liked Dusk Maiden enough that I'll stick with this for now.

Blond Magic Europe Alternate Dimensional Yuko is no Ghost Yuko.

Charade

Golondrina 1-18

Really good. The drama/angst comes across pretty strong, but the highly unique setting draws you in. After the first few chapters, it really picked up and I couldn’t stop reading. It kinda plays out like an sports manga but with an elegant center. Also helps that I’m somewhat of a sucker for this type of angst

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
kotonoba drive -

It's an Ashinano manga with all that entails - that sense of pleasant momentum, like the wind his art is so evocative of - but with a bit more ambition this time.

I dunno about there being more ambition. The page you posted is a rehash from one of his short stories. :p

Dresden

munou no hito - 1~4

Depressing stuff. Each chapter is like a window into the lives of all the sad sacks around the periphery of normal society, rock merchants, bird cage sellers, cuckolds, the poor. It's all centered around a failed mangaka who can't feed his family, who pities himself incessantly, and from whom there is no indication of anything improving. It all sounds unbearable, but there's this black humor to it that keeps things moving along.

I dunno about there being more ambition. The page you posted is a rehash from one of his short stories. :p

Ashi gonna nano, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom