• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Being a harem protagonist is like being a fighting shounen protagonist. One must gain the right amount of luck, show just the right amount of finesse and charm, the other must show iron will, friendship and a body and mind suitable for gaining power. There is no other option.

I cried.

Akito

Picking someone will be revolutionary for a harem though.
Well, there's this guy
i0SHdOWrZdGdo.gif

Every single harem in a dedicated harem series is but an act of god, an event where a single man or woman and a handful of others from preferred sexes succumb to the universe's whims

So many opportunities to look nice and/or heroic, so many coincidences that bring these characters together, so many other accidents that cause any break in the balance to suddenly be prevented or leveled again.

Being a harem protagonist is like being a fighting shounen protagonist. One must gain the right amount of luck, show just the right amount of finesse and charm, the other must show iron will, friendship and a body and mind suitable for gaining power. There is no other option.

There is no personal talent, no will, no choice, only genre.

It'd honestly be fitting to say "Welcome to your hidden Tartarus!"

Huh, I always did think every event in TLRD was basically an act of god, now it makes sense. Who else can destroy so many laws of physics so easily.

Akito

We all know that if it wasn't for Senjou she would have ended up with him... even counting that she's lesbian.
Eh, you could say that about everyone in his harem, the only reason he's (barly) holding back so far is that he loves Senjougahara too much fears that she might feed his dick to him otherwise.

LeleSocho

Banned
Eh, you could say that about everyone in his harem, the only reason he's (barly) holding back so far is that he loves Senjougahara too much fears that she might feed his dick to him otherwise.

I think that aside Kanbaru the only he would actively make a move on are his sisters.

[toothbrush innuendos intensifies]

upandaway

We all know his true love is loli backpack girl.
If I didn't know any better you would almost make me think that you don't remember her name. That in a flight of fancy and a whimsical post, you decided to describe her in a roundabout way, and it's not as if her name momentarily eluded you.

But I know you're cooler than that, right. Yeah.

scy

Which is why he loves her too much.

Akito

If I didn't know any better you would almost make me think that you don't remember her name. That in a flight of fancy and a whimsical post, you decided to describe her in a roundabout way, and it's not as if her name momentarily eluded you.

But I know you're cooler than that, right. Yeah.
Senjougahara, loli backpack girl, glasses inchou girl, basketball lesbian girl, snake sister-zoned girl, loli vampire girl, kimono imouto and sporty imouto.

upandaway

Well okay I get it, it's the 1st of a month today, I get it. I won't say anything more, but man, I don't know. Going as far as Shinobu is going a bit too far.

That's going a bit too far for me today.

Akito

Well okay I get it, it's the 1st of a month today, I get it. I won't say anything more, but man, I don't know. Going as far as Shinobu is going a bit too far.

That's going a bit too far for me today.

And it's not any random month either *badum fish*

Charade

Oh my god yes, there's something absolutely refreshing about this lack of restraint, and the realistic character art is never made cartoonier for comedic effect, which enhances the effect greatly

Little late to this discussion, but I just want to say this is probably my favorite aspect of the series. And on that note...

Prison School 105

Oh boy, amnesia? And it seems like it's setting it up for Kiyoshi to save the day.

Akito

Now I know why Kurita likes LA adaptations, only the best stories will get that treatment.

Chotto Kawaii Iron Maiden
Muto Yuzuki was ready for a whole new life and a different self when she got to middle school but she didn't expect it to be literally torturous. Yuzuki is “persuaded” by an upper classman named Funaki Aoi to join the Torture Club on campus which has been secretly training students to enter the field of military and police organizations as interrogation experts. Aoi sees something inside Yuzuki and thinks she might be a prodigy in torture methods. Naturally, Yuzuki wants nothing to do with such vulgar conduct but the more she spends time with the club, the more she starts to realize her own dark potential.
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/113467

France is getting Prison School. Since most people read it here I might try it...
Quick questions :
What's good about it?
Is it violent?
Is it funny?
Prison School transcends the boundaries of its genre and will be considered one of the seminal works of art for the modern era.

scy

I have so much stuff to catch up on but I forgot to make a list of it all so I just kind of have to hope I remember what I need to read :(

First Love Suicide Pact 17 - So she keeps some picture of a guy around that she's broken so that'll be some kind of past trauma (and maybe even part of her whole suicide thing).

Man, it was all dramatic about being on missing the train at first and then he just calmly walks onto the next one :lol.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
That sucks. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Who says you actually have to read manga to post in the thread?
Hopefully I'll get a spare this weekend, surfing the internet on my phone is a pain in the butt.
I know we're not really always talking about manga, but I feel like I should at least pretend to be on topic sometimes!

scy

I managed to somehow break my old keyboard.

Back to my back-up which is like 1/3rd the size. Such awkwardness.

All You Need Is Kill 10 - This is setting itself up nicely for the "everyone else you've met so far dies" ending as the main dude and Rita (or probably just the main dude? That might make more sense) survive. In which case, preemptively saying: RIP cute cafeteria girl, RIP roommate, RIP his commander. Someone there is dying.

Taboo-Tattoo 28

If they all share each-other's thoughts, this raises the delicious possibility of a full blown princess harem. Or better (?) yet, since they're all gamers, 12-way Mario Kart Wii.

Seishun Pop! 47 (END)

I can confirm that this has ended.

Charade

Hopefully I'll get a spare this weekend, surfing the internet on my phone is a pain in the butt.
I know we're not really always talking about manga, but I feel like I should at least pretend to be on topic sometimes!

That's good.
I think it gives the thread part of its charm, but that's just me. Speaking of being off-topic, I just got fooled bad by a fake Stretch ch. 19. I should have known it was too soon for yuri route!

Magi 1-15

My brother kept nagging me to get into this after watching the anime, so I decided to read it instead to spite him. Liking it so far.

That's good.
I think it gives the thread part of its charm, but that's just me. Speaking of being off-topic, I just got fooled bad by a fake Stretch ch. 19. I should have known it was too soon for yuri route!

Oh right, Aprils Fool stuff.

Though I'm still behind on catching up to stuff so I'll probably end up reading whatever fake new chapters like later this week. That could be entertaining.

wonzo

Banned
Boku Girl 12

Well now, this turned out quite differently from what I expected.
Loki x Mizuki OTP

Hantsu x Trash 42

I kinda wish the water polo club was filled with boys that actually gave a shit about the sport as the scummy pervert brigade is really getting on my nerves.

Yuki-chan 41

Still moe as fuck post car hit' n' run.

Hinamatsuri 27.5

Poor Nitta, always misunderstood. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom