• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Nukoduke!! 32

April Fools chapter eh?

oxGbY35.jpg

Kei can't bring himself to say it even if it was a lie. AWHGAD, IT'S COMING

Soma

Seitokai Yakuindomo 170-181

As dumb as this series is, there has yet to be a chapter that has a skit that didn't make me giggle.

Also, Uomi steadily moving up those rankings.

Just read the latest chapter of Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu for the heck of it.

Why is it that the characters are actually likeable and interesting in every adaptation of this damn series except the actual novel/anime? Haruhi in particular is about 10,000 times better in the spinoffs than the actual series.

Jintor

Just read the latest chapter of Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu for the heck of it.

Why is it that the characters are actually likeable and interesting in every adaptation of this damn series except the actual novel/anime? Haruhi in particular is about 10,000 times better in the spinoffs than the actual series.

it's because they don't need to keep her in the dark because there's no dark to keep her in. (Or in Haruhi-chan it's funny to keep her in the dark instead of dramatic)

UQ Holder 1
Same old same old Akamtsu Ken stuff....wait a minute

Well...thats one way step up. Neat to find that this is a sequel to his Negima series and honestly did not come to mind, Yukihime was that lil vampire gal all grown up. Hopefully I dont drop this one like I did with his Negima one.

Nejimaki Kagyu 1-17
The protagonist is adorable, the faces are over the top, the characters are interesting. Why did I not read this sooner.

Aizo

Banned
munou no hito - 1~4

Depressing stuff. Each chapter is like a window into the lives of all the sad sacks around the periphery of normal society, rock merchants, bird cage sellers, cuckolds, the poor. It's all centered around a failed mangaka who can't feed his family, who pities himself incessantly, and from whom there is no indication of anything improving. It all sounds unbearable, but there's this black humor to it that keeps things moving along.

Sounds quite depressing. I wonder if the author had a rough life... Let's find out.

I just read a bit about him. He tried to go to America as a stowaway, sold blood to earn money, tried to kill himself after getting dumped, traveled around small villages in Japan, got married, stopped writing several times due to depression, and stopped writing completely after the death of his wife due to cancer. Whoa.

Mortemis

Banned
Nisekoi 116

Mari should've challenged Chitoge to a Shokugeki with Raku on the line.

I don't read many manhwas but I always have a heck of a time trying to remember character names. Probably just need more exposure.

This so much. The only manhwas that I can actually remember most of the characters names are Tower of God and Kubera, and both have pretty easy names. Hell I've read all of The Breaker chapters and I can remember is Jinnie, Shi-woon, Chun-woo and Sera.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yuyushiki - 21
Aside the usual dose of cute this manga also brings interesting trivia.

Nukoduke! - 32
Apparentely 12:01 PM is not morning.

Nisekoi 113.5
Probably best chapter yet
It was April Fools release with everything in romanji I think. Easily just as good or better than probably more than half the chapters in the manga still.

Kurita

France is getting Prison School. Since most people read it here I might try it...
Quick questions :
What's good about it?
Is it violent?
Is it funny?

Nordicus

France is getting Prison School. Since most people read it here I might try it...
Quick questions :
What's good about it?
Is it violent?
Is it funny?
Good? Well, first of all, the art is phenomenal and goes for realism and detail. Prison School is unrestrained, juvenile raunchy stuff does some impressive things with sex, fan service, violence, schaudenfreude and toilet humor. It is not afraid to use a bit of gross factor, you're going to see dumb teenage boys doing dumb teenage things, and it is anything but subtle, quiet or clean. It also has one of the best fanservice characters ever. She's so over the top that it's absolutely surreal; when you see an insanely curvy and sweaty secretary type woman hang on a doorknob by her panties and then have them snap, there's nothing you can do but clap.

Violent? Not many fights at all but plenty of violence. The underground student council is not afraid to use force on these prisoners. One of them is a masochist even.

Funny? Oh my god yes, there's something absolutely refreshing about this lack of restraint, and the realistic character art is never made cartoonier for comedic effect, which enhances the effect greatly

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Quick questions :
What's good about it?
Is it violent?
Is it funny?

Artwork is insanely good

Absurd comedy, some of them is funny ala animal house or american pie. there's violence but not to much.

Also
There's a talking vagina.

Nordicus

Every single harem in a dedicated harem series is but an act of god, an event where a single man or woman and a handful of others from preferred sexes succumb to the universe's whims

So many opportunities to look nice and/or heroic, so many coincidences that bring these characters together, so many other accidents that cause any break in the balance to suddenly be prevented or leveled again.

Being a harem protagonist is like being a fighting shounen protagonist. One must gain the right amount of luck, show just the right amount of finesse and charm, the other must show iron will, friendship and a body and mind suitable for gaining power. There is no other option.

There is no personal talent, no will, no choice, only genre.

It'd honestly be fitting to say "Welcome to your hidden Tartarus!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom