• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece

Sabo getting that fruit sure did just.. happen. If they didn't intend to really give it away, why the hell was it actually strapped to that fish's back? I'd expect it to still be locked away somewhere. Kinda lacking in fanfare, tho, Sabo getting and eating it.

I was hoping for whenever someone got it, that it'd be some jaw dropping shock. Instead Sabo just leisurely picks it up, and eats it. Then uses it in mere seconds (in which I thought it takes a long time until someone could learn to use a devil fruit?). That was probably the only part of this chapter that I didn't like. I'm just a little disappointed that the tournament ended so sudden, and the fruit was eaten so leisurely.

We've been told all this time that the Uchiha symbol was a fan (uchiwa).

Thats probably where the name comes from.

5wwjt498.jpg

If you look at the red bit of the symbol, you can see a crescent moon. Nice symbolism.

Kieli

I'm pretty sure Jun-sensei is what will happen to Tadokoro.

She will eventually go old and single, remaining forever bitter inside some sort of dilapidated house in the middle of nowhere. Still salty that she lost her husbando to a blond-haired woman.

Meanwhile, Soma will travel the world and grow into an ovary-busting man-specimen.

Nordicus

Dorohedoro 124-125

Note to self, even as a demigod, hiding a person in your stomach area is not smart, especially if you've got superpowered abs that could crush anything.

R.I.P.

I find it rather funny that the author is apparently struggling to give this story an ending. So many plot threads that she wants to tie up, sometimes still inventing new ones

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's still a spiral dude. I mean, sometimes people will draw the sun like a spiral but it's not exactly an established metaphor in the Japanese visual imagery canon.

It's still a spiral dude. I mean, sometimes people will draw the sun like a spiral but it's not exactly an established metaphor in the Japanese visual imagery canon.

smh I told you only look at the red sections. Its a red circle -____-. Just like how the red section of the Uchiha clan is a crescent moon.

Bleach 576

Only 1 meteorite?

Pfft.

Already saw Law slice one up.

Drop like 3 or 4 more and then maybe I'll be impress when he cuts them in half.

One Piece 744

Praise lord Usopp!

Him and Buggy should meet up for once.

Sabo hype is at critical mass.

Now we just need him and a Luffy tag team.

upandaway

I see a spiral
My mouse hovered over this post, and I slipped over the keyboard somewhere (I heard a click, didn't actually feel anything, so I have no evidence that I performed the click), and suddenly 3 tabs opened up all at once: One of Kurita's user page, one quoting the post, and one of the post by itself (like when you'd click on the post number). Scared the hell outta me. Dark voodoo magic. No clue how it happened.

For general information I didn't write this post in the tab that opened up quoting the post. I closed it by reflex and clicked edit again. Seriously scared me.

Kieli

My mouse hovered over this post, and I slipped over the keyboard somewhere (I heard a click, didn't actually feel anything, so I have no evidence that I performed the click), and suddenly 3 tabs opened up all at once: One of Kurita's user page, one quoting the post, and one of the post by itself (like when you'd click on the post number). Scared the hell outta me. Dark voodoo magic. No clue how it happened.

You were already mangekyou sharingan.

Haly

This is a spiral:
ibeoVFIHpkouW8.png

It's based off of this:
2839_0.JPG

Which is a popular condiment made out of ground fish called narutomaki. His last name, Uzumaki, also means "spiral" or "whirlpool".

If Naruto was translated Duwang-style, his name would be rendered Fishcake Spiral.

Charade

For general information I didn't write this post in the tab that opened up quoting the post. I closed it by reflex and clicked edit again. Seriously scared me.

Another power besides Black Ivy?

Kurita

That was a really interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Sai

It's kind of funny how Psycho_Mantis' rather simple point is being missed. Disregard the spiral and it's a full circle, just as you disregard the rest of the Uchiha clan's insignia for the crescent.

I doubt Kishimoto always intended for it to be that way, but it works; that's obviously what he was portraying in that spread.

Akito

Oricon Comic Rankings March 31st - April 6th

01. Kimi ni Todoke #21 (166,060 / 721,551)
02. Shokugeki no Souma #7 (132,403)
03. To Love-Ru Darkness #10 (131,565)
04. Haikyuu!! #10 (123,779)
05. Ohkami Heika no Hanayome #10 (56,255)
06. Beelzebub #26 (55,746)
07. Kinnikuman #46 (54,988)
08. One Piece #73 (50,464 / 2,693,416)
09. Bungou Stray Dogs #4 (49,471)
10. World Trigger #5 (48,381)
11. Ginga Patrol Jaco Special Edition (47,482)
12. Gakuen Baby Sitters #9 (61,735)
13. Soredemo, Yasashii Koi o Suru (46,116)
14. Kagerou Days #4 (44,080 / 127,264)
15. Kobayashi ga Kawai Sugite Tsuraii!! #6 (42,235 / 138,585)
16. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan #8 (42,001)
17. Jojolion #6 (40,038 / 390,977)
18. Uchuu Kyoudai #23 (39,983 / 371,570)
19. Fairy Tail #42 (36,630 / 428,474)
20. Kanshikan Tsunemori Akane #4 (34,874)
21. Mujaki no Rakuen #5 (34,813 / 74,478)
22. Ginga Patrol Jaco (30,802)
23. Koi no Kamisama Komi Naoshi Collection of Short Stories (28,969)
24. Soul Catcher(S) #4 (28,569)
25. Hachimitsu no Hatsukoi #7 (27,420 / 92,459)
26. Skip Beat! #34 (26,785 / 262,908)
27. Youkai Watch #1 (26,657 / 179,239)
28. Katsura Akira Collection of Collaborated Short Stories (26,028)
29. Ten Count #1 (25,981 / 39,646)
30. Moyashimon #13 (25,291 / 233,727)
31. Youkai Watch #3 (24,846 / 123,195)
32. Youkai Watch #2 (24,728 / 121,731)
33. Kagerou Days Official Anthology Comic -Spring- (24,531 / 74,289)
34. Kuroko no Basket #26 (24,470 / 708,879)
35. Gin no Saji #11 (24,132 / 853,851)
36. Daiya no Ace #40 (23,753 / 276,087)
37. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #8 (22,962 / 633,075)
38. ReRe Hello #3 (22,909 / 95,334)
39. Kenka Kagyou #1 (22,898)
40. Dragon Jam #11 (21,861 / 39,434)
41. Naruto #68 (20,608 / 981,118)
42. Ayakashi Hisen #12 (19,760 / 72,501)
43. Shingeki no Kyojin #12 (19,316 / 1,649,761)
44. Kaze Hikaru #35 (19,118 / 66,690)
45. Museum #3 (18,850)
46. Kono Oto Tomare! #5 (18,772)
47. Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sou #5 (18,404 / 65,504)
48. Cuticle Tantei Inaba #13 (18,109 / 52,715)
49. 17-sai, Kiss to Dilemma #4 (18,021 / 61,133)
50. Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R #1 (17,560 / 150,116)

Haly

It still really doesn't work, because Uchihas have access to both Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, the names of sun and moon deities. It would fit it Naruto's signature move was Amaterasu but it isn't, it's a spiral vortex like his name. Factor in his heritage from the Senju clan, who was known for their wood release, the motifs behind Naruto and Sasuke respectively lend themselves far more to a "Heaven and Earth" dichotomy rather than a "Sun and Moon" one.

(Until you factor in Susanoo at which point the dichotomy gets broken again and it becomes Gods vs Mortals.)

Oricon Comic Rankings March 31st - April 6th

02. Shokugeki no Souma #7 (132,403)
04. Haikyuu!! #10 (123,779)
06. Beelzebub #26 (55,746)

10. World Trigger #5 (48,381)
16. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan #8 (42,001)

29. Ten Count #1 (25,981 / 39,646)

Ten Count is really doing well glad its popular for the genre, hope it gets to the 70K range and more.

World Trigger growth over Saiki Kusuo, if it can stay like that as the weeks go on, it may come close to 100K before leaving the charts.

Im guessing the series had their sales cut off by a few days than usual due to the chart tracking period end date due to lower than the last volume numbers debuts.

Sai

It still really doesn't work, because Uchihas have access to both Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, the names of sun and moon deities. It would fit it Naruto's signature move was Amaterasu but it isn't, it's a spiral vortex like his name. Factor in his heritage from the Senju clan, who was known for their wood release, the motifs behind Naruto and Sasuke respectively lend themselves far more to a "Heaven and Earth" dichotomy rather than a "Sun and Moon" one.

(Until you factor in Susanoo at which point the dichotomy gets broken again and it becomes Gods vs Mortals.)
It's more about their respective inheritance of Yin 'n Yang that lie at the root of their powers, than their signature moves. Recall Kishimoto's first explanation of Asura and Indra's respective inheritance from their father, and the component powers of his Banbutsu Souzou.

The symbolism has been pushed heavily for the past few chapters, the sun and moon being depicted behind Asura and Indra, the ends of Rikudou Sennin's shakujou also represent the sun and moon(which Obito and Madara have used) and were aligned appropriately above Naruto and Sasuke along with depictions of Asura and Indra in the prior chapter's color spread.

Kieli

I'm scared for the day when Soma gets an anime adaptation. No way it's not going to be a cheap, conveyor-belt production.

Sai

I thought Madhouse was one of the good ones. Isn't that the studio that handled FMA?

[EDIT] - Wewps, that was Bones.

Sai

The heavily stylized manga never get the adaptations they deserve. Air Gear would've been a horribly written spectacle if a higher budget studio was tasked with it.

It'll be the same for Soma. Abandon all hope.

Haly

Soma is pretty generic though.

Just give it to SHAFT.

I thought Madhouse was one of the good ones. Isn't that the studio that handled FMA?

[EDIT] - Wewps, that was Bones.

Why would one want madhouse, with such inconsistenty between a mahou sensou one season to a mahouka/nogamenolife the next, Id be afraid it turn out to be a bad adaption more than a good one.

As long as Toei doesnt get it...

Mortemis

Banned
Man, I was halfway through the One Piece chapter thinking that it is just too good, it's probably on break next week... Sometimes I hate it when I'm right. :(

But yeah this chapter was probably my favorite chapter in recent memory. Godsopp was just too good, and Sabo showing his face/eating the devil fruit was a bit fast but still awesome. I'm okay with the pace picking up tbh. Can't wait until Luffy actually starts fighting Dofla.

Soma's not even interested in girls. (Hence, the DTL fantasy scenarios)

He's got a full three in his harem and he doesn't even notice any of them. Hell, he's probably closest to noticing Erina, given that he at least notices she acts like a weirdo in his presence.

I find it hilarious he's closest to noticing the one that least wants to be noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom