• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter X Hunter Betting Pool
Let's celebrate the joyous news of Hunter x Hunter's return by betting on how many chapters we'll get before Togashi returns to his true passion, again.

- Anyone can place a bet here in this thread.
- Deadline is before the first chapter hits in June I guess.
- Winner will be the one who came the closest to the actual number of chapters released before the series goes into a new hiatus again (>5 weeks, double issues not included)
- If there would be no more hiatus cause Tagashi will finish this time, free beer and hookers for everybody.
- If you get the number exactly right, you can choose the name for the OT afterwards and place 5 series of your choice on the top 10 banner in that OT, otherwise you have to choose between the two.
- No pain no gain, anyone who didn't win will have to use an avatar of their choice from Nisekoi for exactly the amount of days their bet was off, i.e. 25 days when the bet was 50 but the series goes into hiatus after 25 chapters.
57 chapters

I don't even read Hunter x Hunter lol

mayor.png

I understood that reference

Mortemis

Banned
Hunter x Hunter is gonna start on an amazing arc, as well.

You guys all say that world map, right? Also, keep in mind that the ant-queen was freaking battered when she landed on the shores of the known world. It was also hinted that Alluka came from the Dark World, too. There are powerful things lurking there...

Can't wait to see the power levels of the Dark World, it's gonna be insane.

If you think about it, the Chimera ants are the literal ants of the Dark Continent, as in the weakest. RIP Beyond Netero.

I don't think it's Togashi's style, but I wonder if they'll have a time skip of some sorts. I doubt it'll be anything more than like 6 months though. Right now Gon doesn't really have anything to do since he finally met his dad, I wonder what's gonna happen next.
57 chapters

I don't even read Hunter x Hunter lol

Time to change that right? :)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
gosh I'm so behind on Yamada now, but can't be assed to catch up

If you think about it, the Chimera ants are the literal ants of the Dark Continent, as in the weakest. RIP Beyond Netero.

I don't think it's Togashi's style, but I wonder if they'll have a time skip of some sorts. I doubt it'll be anything more than like 6 months though. Right now Gon doesn't really have anything to do since he finally met his dad, I wonder what's gonna happen next.

Time to change that right? :)
I don't want to pick up something that goes on hiatus so much when I know I'll probably be looking forward to it updating (this is just based on the knowledge that Kishimoto probably lifted the chunin exams from it, which was my favorite arc)

upandaway

I don't want to pick up something that goes on hiatus so much when I know I'll probably be looking forward to it updating (this is just based on the knowledge that Kishimoto probably lifted the chunin exams from it, which was my favorite arc)
Watch the new anime! It's really good. And it's going to end while the manga's getting going.

HxH does take a lot of time off, but for the time it's going, it's really fun to read along and talk about with everyone else. I think this timing is perfect to pick it up, going anime -> manga when the anime catches up.
Besides, HxH is extremely rereadable/rewatchable, especially when you consider that you'll forget most of it by the time it comes back from another hiatus.

Mortemis

Banned
gosh I'm so behind on Yamada now, but can't be assed to catch up

Watch the new anime! It's really good. And it's going to end while the manga's getting going.

HxH does take a lot of time off, but for the time it's going, it's really fun to read along and talk about with everyone else. I think this timing is perfect to pick it up, going anime -> manga when the anime catches up.
Yup, this so much. The anime does an excellent job of adapting the manga so you won't be missing out on not reading the manga.

I enjoyed the Chuunin exam arc too, but imo I enjoyed the Hunter exam arc more.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

Besides, HxH is extremely rereadable/rewatchable, especially when you consider that you'll forget most of it by the time it comes back from another hiatus.
ehh, I generally like reading manga over watching anime adaptions because the plot usually gets moving quicker in manga. I read more in 30 minutes than I would cover by 30 minutes of watching.

Yeah, being able to discuss it is what makes me sort of want to pick it up. I'll think about catching up, but I don't promise anything.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure HxH will get at least a year of chapters. It'll have the anime bump and everything (I'm guessing the timing of the anime was on purpose obviously).

Mortemis

Banned
ehh, I generally like reading manga over watching anime adaptions because the plot usually gets moving quicker in manga. I read more in 30 minutes than I would cover by 30 minutes of watching.

Yeah, being able to discuss it is what makes me sort of want to pick it up. I'll think about catching up, but I don't promise anything.

The anime's pace is pretty fast. You'd be able to read it faster than watching but Madhouse does a good job of pacing and keeping you interested the entire episode.

I can't wait for the manga to come back just because I'll finally be able to really discuss it. This is the first time I'm on gaf and HxH is going, I'm relatively new so that doesn't say much though.

upandaway

The pacing of the anime is very fast, and the manga is very dialogue heavy, not to mention the art (and music) upgrade of the anime. I honestly doubt you'll save much time reading instead of watching, and the experience will flat out be worse. I won't be stubborn about it but you know what my recommendation is.

87 Clockers 09

Eh, I guess this competition is kinda interesting? It feels like I should be more into it but at the same time I'm really not.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
RANDOM KINGDOM TRIVIA.

Kyou Kai and Yotanwa are both historically male characters.

Shin is based on a General that's basically nothing special during his time and even ended his service as a failure.

Assassin's Creed 4 - Black Flag

That fight went a bit too fast, maybe it should have lasted longer. Though maybe its time is limited as its probably time to start moving on with planning the next Assassin's Creed Manga.

Off to the Bahamas.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
The pacing of the anime is very fast, and the manga is very dialogue heavy, not to mention the art (and music) upgrade of the anime. I honestly doubt you'll save much time reading instead of watching, and the experience will flat out be worse. I won't be stubborn about it but you know what my recommendation is.
Is it as dialogue heavy as Gintama? Then I can see myself preferring to watch instead. Shit's just ridiculous in Gintama sometimes. I'll probably check out the anime's first episode at least... I know I got fed up with the pace in Attack on Titan's anime for example, but when I started reading the manga it was so much better. Basically got through 3/4 of the anime in less than a fourth of the time by reading or something. Still need to finish reading through that, now that I think about it.

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous 10

Oh god a girlfriend, what a death flag.

Woo, more powers being named. Still feel bad about that friendship and it's pretty weird since they were basically there for like two chapters!

Mortemis

Banned
Is it as dialogue heavy as Gintama? Then I can see myself preferring to watch instead. Shit's just ridiculous in Gintama sometimes. I'll probably check out the anime's first episode at least... I know I got fed up with the pace in Attack on Titan's anime for example, but when I started reading the manga it was so much better. Basically got through 3/4 of the anime in less than a fourth of the time by reading or something. Still need to finish reading through that, now that I think about it.

I wouldn't say it's Gintama levels of heavy, but during some points there are really large infodumps that the anime handles much better and is easier to understand imo. And lol it's not even close to being as slow as AoT was.

At some parts it's very dialogue heavy. Pages made of words, episodes of talking. But that doesn't happen very often.

upandaway

The first arc or two of the 2011 anime is considered not as good of an adaption, but everything beyond that is amazing. If you really feel resistance to the idea, you could compromise by reading the manga up to the end of Heaven's Arena then switch to the anime.

Mortemis

Banned
RANDOM KINGDOM TRIVIA.

Kyou Kai and Yotanwa are both historically male characters.

Shin is based on a General that's basically nothing special during his time and even ended his service as a failure.

About Shin, I've always known about Li Xin and his failures, and I'm wondering how the mangaka is going to handle it. It'll be pretty anti-climatic for it to go down that path, but does the author really steer that much from history?

The first arc or two of the 2011 anime is considered not as good of an adaption, but everything beyond that is amazing. If you really feel resistance to the idea, you could compromise by reading the manga up to the end of Heaven's Arena then switch to the anime.

I'd actually start at Heavens Arena. That's when the infodumps start to come and it was really enjoyable watching the fights in the anime.
Gon vs Hisoka was handled incredibly too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Knowing history makes some things ... awkward.

Doesn't stop me in fully believing Kyou Kai as the best girl though, hahaha.

Anyways, so we have the 1st appearance of time-skip Shin and Kyou Kai on 371 right now: only a snippet from behind though.

About Shin, I've always known about Li Xin and his failures, and I'm wondering how the mangaka is going to handle it. It'll be pretty anti-climatic for it to go down that path, but does the author really steer that much from history?

I believe he deliberately chose a rather unknown figure exactly so that he can have more leeway to, ah, repurpose history to better fit his manga, while still sticking true on all the big details like the outcome of the Qin invasion war, Ei Sei being the 1st China conqueror, and Ei Sei's faction defeating Ryo Fui's.

dh6lL6t.jpg

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous 7

pleasedon'tbethecuteonepleasedon'tbethecuteonepleasedon'tbethecuteonepleasedon'tbethecuteonepleasedon'tbethecuteonepleasedon'tbethecuteone.

Checks last page

Oh dammit all.

Now I'm going to like him/her and hope he/she stays that way forever.

kasane

speaking of mystery manga

i remember reading a manga awhile back where the guy was befriended by another guy who is actually a girl

something related to a clock tower. I remember being intrigued by it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom