• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

I see a vlog trying to defend Togashi's hiatuses.

lol
I have to imagine anything that isn't "you'd do the same if you were rich from prior successes and they weren't pressuring you to go write more!" is going to ring very hollow.
Most definitely. Quite a bit can happen per chapter in the better books. It'd take Bleach a year to cover what Spider-Man does in six weeks. One Batman chapter is like 8 Bleach ones. Plus you get better art and writing.
Yeah, not surprised at all based on vague memories and just how dense something like Watchman was (even though that REALLY can't be taken as indicative of the medium on a whole.) Well, art's subjective, and technically so is writing but I think only like 3 people really want to defend Kubo's writing. Nevermind that continuity flubs are a lot easier to forgive for a series running decades with constantly switching authors versus one that's only just run a decade from a single author. And likely without too much important to remember.

ENlbsUu.jpg

Black Bullet 9.5

That's not a happy Nya.

That's not a happy Nya at all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jou-sama no tamago 1

Mia is a princess of the country where people are either masochistic (M) or sadistic (S), but generally only royalty is (S). Her daily duties consist of insulting, stepping on and generally bullying her people, and they're all happy about it! But the day comes when Mia has to transfer to a foreign country for a year to study there. The only problem is.... people there are normal. When Mia changes schools the (S) and (M) hilarity begins!

I approve.

Eusis

You Westerns just don't get it since you don't have DQX released there.
Have any comics gone on hiatus thanks to WoW?

Not counting webcomics here. Also screw SE for not getting DQX out here (and screw the fact it really may not do well enough to justify.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, not surprised at all based on vague memories and just how dense something like Watchman was (even though that REALLY can't be taken as indicative of the medium on a whole.) Well, art's subjective, and technically so is writing but I think only like 3 people really want to defend Kubo's writing. Nevermind that continuity flubs are a lot easier to forgive for a series running decades with constantly switching authors versus one that's only just run a decade from a single author. And likely without too much important to remember.

Well, something like Sandman is probably better written than 99.999999~% of anything we read here. As far as continuity goes, the writers tend to pick and choose what's important and in-continuity outside of a few big things. So each writer makes their own continuity, Grant Morrison said something to this effect in an interview.

Have any comics gone on hiatus thanks to WoW?

Not counting webcomics here. Also screw SE for not getting DQX out here (and screw the fact it really may not do well enough to justify.)

Well there's only really two manga people usually state their hiatus due to games:

HxH with DQ
And Berserk with Idolmaster

Most of the time hiatus are usually due to medical reasons or whatever and most series aren't that amazingly popular that they can go on a hiatus just cause the newest game is out, lol

Eusis

]Well, something like Sandman is probably better written than 99.999999~% of anything we read here.[/B] As far as continuity goes, the writers tend to pick and choose what's important and in-continuity outside of a few big things. So each writer makes their own continuity, Grant Morrison said something to this effect in an interview.
That's one of the series I'd been wanting to read most of all. Not that that's a big surprise from Neil Gaiman.

... And yeah, the continuity thing is why I'd generally prefer to watch movies/TV shows or read graphic novels than the comics monthly. I can't really blame them for that mindset, it's just too much to keep track of even with (especially with?) one group of characters in a drifting time space.
Well there's only really two manga people usually state their hiatus due to games:

HxH with DQ
And Berserk with Idolmaster

Most of the time hiatus are usually due to medical reasons or whatever and most series aren't that amazingly popular that they can go on a hiatus just cause the newest game is out, lol
Heh, I was thinking more if there were any American/European equivalents who would or could actually pull that. Though I guess if it's not a series handled primarily by one writer it'd just go to another until the one who went on hiatus is freed up again. And I don't think many outside of the super hero staples run on a reliable schedule anyway, something like Scott Pilgrim was 6 graphic novels released "when they're done" afterall.

Kuroko no Basket - Onsen ni Iko

Kuroko and Kise go to a hot springs and it isn't a super interesting moment. What a surprising turn of events.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's one of the series I'd been wanting to read most of all. Not that that's a big surprise from Neil Gaiman.

... And yeah, the continuity thing is why I'd generally prefer to watch movies/TV shows or read graphic novels than the comics monthly. I can't really blame them for that mindset, it's just too much to keep track of even with (especially with?) one group of characters in a drifting time space.

Can't reccomend Sandman enough. Read American Vampire too. The guy writing it has a book of short stories that got a starred review in the NY Review of Books, which is the prestigious one. It's sort of like JoJo in how its set up, each arc is a different decade, but without the posing and insane powers. Steven King wrote some of the back-up stories in the first volume. There's also a volume of shorts set in the universe by a who's who of modern comic writers and artists. It's crazy good and just hit the half-way mark.

Heh, I was thinking more if there were any American/European equivalents who would or could actually pull that. Though I guess if it's not a series handled primarily by one writer it'd just go to another until the one who went on hiatus is freed up again. And I don't think many outside of the super hero staples run on a reliable schedule anyway, something like Scott Pilgrim was 6 graphic novels released "when they're done" afterall.

Yeah, I think it's mostly cause American comics aren't release in magazines and usually aren't done by one main person.

And then for the newspaper ones it doesn't really matter since you could basically run old strips for an amount of time and no one would really care! Can't really do that with manga.

To Aru Majutsu no Index 64

I don't remember what the plot is anymore but instead I get Accelerator beating stuff up and taking names so I'm content.

Rhapsody

Banned
In Black Bullet, the bits with Enju and Rotaro when the school finds out about her was really good.

I have mixed feelings on the latest chapters.

Mortemis

Banned
Kingdom

Seeing Shin stand next to Heki and seeing him so tall is weird. Still, he's a badass with Ouki's glaive. Can't wait for him to show off more.

Oh and Kyoukai <3

scy

Love So Life 70 - Beta couple being cute. Need progress with the mains still, though.

It'll happen. Someday. Right? RIGHT?! ;__;

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kingdom

Seeing Shin stand next to Heki and seeing him so tall is weird. Still, he's a badass with Ouki's glaive. Can't wait for him to show off more.

Oh and Kyoukai <3

Well, he's "preparing to start using" Okui's glaive. The one's he's got now is a different one. Here's what Ouki's looks like:

eygHde3.png

What's nuts tho is what I realized while lookin it up:

There he is with that exact glaive in chapter 1. SPOILER ALERT!??!

Mortemis

Banned
Well, he's "preparing to start using" Okui's glaive. The one's he's got now is a different one. Here's what Ouki's looks like:

eygHde3.png

What's nuts tho is what I realized while lookin it up:

There he is with that exact glaive in chapter 1. SPOILER ALERT!??!

Oh that makes more sense. And I've known about that foreshadowing for a while, since I reread the first few chapters a while back. Kinda sad we don't see Duke Hyou's shield though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom