• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
20th Century Boys & 21st Century Boys END

After Pluto and Monster, 20th Century Boys is definitely a disappointment. So much promise but it kinda fell off after the first timeskip and never really recovered. 21st Century Boys then adds insult to injury by making the worst ending chapters in recent memory. I was planning to write a longer post like I did for Bakuman but I am kinda pissed about it.

Definitely a disappointing series.

He just added this and that and this and that and this and that and by the end when those things caught up to him he just said HOLY CRAP NOW WHAT DO I DO and invented stuff here and there.

It would have worked if only he could just make it simple. But Urasawa being Urasawa, you gotta need those irrelevant old couples out in the boonies chapters to get the feelllllllllllllll man.

Yamada 99

That immense failure. Also lol that Shiraishi has become completely irrelevant.

UQ Holder

That beatdown. rip everyone tota fights from now on.

Foolworm

Centaur Worries 48

Oh hey, it's that mermaid/catguy couple.

Ooo, and the robotic legs model is the maiden for the sea god ceremony.

Exactly how advanced is their tech that they can manufacture mermaid prosthetics for under $70000?

Aizo

Banned
As the self proclaimed portmanteau master, I shall give judgement.
Jafranese
6/10 The structure is a bit off, but it sounds fun.
3/10 Just one letter from one of the words? That's not enough!
3/10 Same issue as Yonafunu.
And the correct term you guys are looking for is Franponais.
6/10 for English speakers, 9/10 for French. Both words are properly represented, but it doesn't follow the English theme.

Personally, I'd go with Freponese.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Just survive the first few chapters. He gets what he deserves.

Also...

Koe no Katachi 27

Holy shit. I totally understand Ueno now. I suppose the question now is if she can find redemption because those other pricks from his childhood sure won't.
If you do, can you explain to me what she's thinking? I think I kind of understand her, but I'm not confident in it

Yamada-kun to Nananin no Majo 99
Interesting development. I was wondering what the catch of her power was, but I wasn't expecting this.

Yamada & The Seven Witches 99

Kurosaki's proposals of why they were a witch and Yamada's comments about it were too funny.

I never did consider the consequences of them using the abilities that much, good chance of focus.

scy

Yamada 99 - I've got to say, this was actually a really good way to bring the witches back and make it interesting.

Shiraishi is still a character, right?

If you do, can you explain to me what she's thinking? I think I kind of understand her, but I'm not confident in it

Yamada-kun to Nananin no Majo 99
Interesting development. I was wondering what the catch of her power was, but I wasn't expecting this.

I think that unlike Ishida's childhood "friends" and classmates, Ueno genuinely liked him and had a crush on him (that still continues to today). So when the Nishimaya bullying finally blew up in their (Ishida's) faces, she wasn't able to just forget about it and turn the bullying to Ishida. Obviously she wasn't brave enough to face the social risks and help Ishida, and instead she turns the blame to Nishimaya for "causing" all of this (though I think she admits in this last chapter that it was kind of their fault too for not understanding Nishimaya). By seeing the guy she liked tormented so much she was hurt by the situation as well, but has done an extremely poor job of dealing with it. Rather than trying to change herself like Ishida she's simply taking her anger out on Nishimaya in some vain hope that Ishida will go back to his old middle-school self..

Hopefully that comes off as somewhat clear. Basically I think the Nishimaya "incident" hurt her as well but she wasn't able to deal with it appropriately and is now suffering the consequences. If her reaction in the Ferris Wheel was any indication, I have to imagine her life isn't going too well either (I might be totally imagining things but I'm thinking back to how she was so timid and hidden when Ishida first ran into her again).

I might be thinking into this way more than I should but I find Ueno to be an extremely interesting character, much more than most characters in the manga I read haha.

Yamada 99 - I've got to say, this was actually a really good way to bring the witches back and make it interesting.

Shiraishi is still a character, right?

The author realized Odagiri is the superior girl and is trying to phase Shiraishi out without anyone noticing.

UQ Holder 24
BhXfPZCCEAA1QwL.png:large

Every chapter this arc is really good, its definitely where UQ Holder has taken off from me and I want Tota to continue to get all the best abilities. Cool things to his design in the back and just appearance in this form.

scy

My take on Ueno is that she just went with the flow of it all as a kid. At this point, Nishimaya just kind of represents all of it that went wrong to Ueno: It's her fault that she was bullied, it's her fault that Ishida was bullied, it's her fault that Ishida is the way he is now, and it's all her fault that Ishida hates Ueno now.

The author realized Odagiri is the superior girl and is trying to phase Shiraishi out without anyone noticing.

;__;

Because deep down, just like me, you love portmanteaus.

I wish I was wittier to have one ready for this.

scy

I just saw another episode of Nisekoi so now I can accurately update my list:

Tsugumi > Ruri >>> Onodera >>>>>> Shuu >>>>>> Chitoge

;____;

Though, I think Chitoge gets a lot better as the story progresses. Going into Nisekoi after the one-shot probably helped a lot in making Chitoge best girl for me from the start. Plus I liked her design more than Onodera :x

I'm starting to think that when Ueno said that Ishida and her were alike, she was referring to the fact that they both have regrets about their actions when they were younger. Problem is that Ueno doesn't actually know how to properly deal with the repercussions for her actions while Ishida is at least trying his best to set things right. It's a shame that she clearly has major issues expressing her feelings.

;____;

Though, I think Chitoge gets a lot better as the story progresses. Going into Nisekoi after the one-shot probably helped a lot in making Chitoge best girl for me from the start. Plus I liked her design more than Onodera :x

I mean, who knows, this will probably change once I get deeper into the Nisekoiverse.

I only watched 7 episodes and read one volume.

I'm just put off of Chitoge in her intro and it's still rubbing me the wrong way. I might even switch Shuu and Onodera's positions around.

scy

I'm starting to think that when Ueno said that Ishida and her were alike, she was referring to the fact that they both have regrets about their actions when they were younger. Problem is that Ueno doesn't actually know how to properly deal with the repercussions for her actions while Ishida is at least trying his best to set things right. It's a shame that she clearly has major issues expressing her feelings.

This too. They're basically polar opposites in how the event changed them. They both regret things though it's for different reasons. Ishida regrets it for non-selfish reasons, Ueno does not.

I mean, who knows, this will probably change once I get deeper into the Nisekoiverse.

If it doesn't kill you first.

scy

I might have read worse things?

:x Honestly, I still like Nisekoi. Most my dislike of the series is more that it's kind of done nothing major in awhile. Like, the first ~50 or so chapters actually had something happen pretty often (even if some were minor) before some minor filler thing happened.

To be fair, there's been some stuff recently (Amnesia arc like 20 chapters ago) but it feels a bit lacking when we're talking about being 100 chapters in.

:x Honestly, I still like Nisekoi. Most my dislike of the series is more that it's kind of done nothing major in awhile. Like, the first ~50 or so chapters actually had something happen pretty often (even if some were minor) before some minor filler thing happened.

To be fair, there's been some stuff recently (Amnesia arc like 20 chapters ago) but it feels a bit lacking when we're talking about being 100 chapters in.

Dunno, I'm basically going in expect it to be the next Ranma 1/2 in terms of anything actually happening.

And the anime is basically giving me all the SHAFTness I could ever want this season.

Maybe my expectations are tempered enough for this to enjoy it so far.

kasane

blame jump yo

wonzo

Banned
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! - I'm Unpopular, So I'm Getting Killed! by Uziga Waita

You mean to tell me that Uziga not only published something new but it's also a goddamn Watamote doujin? And no one ITT told me about this??? smh gurogaf

Assassination Classroom 79

Perfect place to end this arc. I wanted him to fully go through with the reeducation plan and see how that turned out but the way he did it was worth it just for board chairmans face there with asano kun too, almost looked like chairman was looking right up at Korosensei.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! - I'm Unpopular, So I'm Getting Killed! by Uziga Waita

You mean to tell me that Uziga not only published something new but it's also a goddamn Watamote doujin? And no one ITT told me about this??? smh gurogaf

Is there a gurogaf other than you? :p

that is oddly how I expect the series to end now

dumbyugi

Assassination Classroom 79

This arc ended pretty much how I thought it would. The chairman's face at the end was great, Matsui draws really good evil faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom