• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

Shindo 1-8
iylRoSsP9iZg2.jpg
This is quite good, it's about a young girl, who has a tremendous talent for the piano but she rather play baseball instead and a guy, who plays the piano on a rather average level but is trying his best to get into a music college. The art is quite clumsy but it always get the point across and the characters are relatable, the young girl especially is really fun and reminds me with her forceful attitude a little of Tome from Tetsuwan Girl.

So I just saw the first episode of the Hori-san to Miyamura-kun OVA.

I see that there's a Hori-san to Miyamura-kun and a Horimiya manga.

What's the difference, which one should I tackle first and I assume I should be reading them yesterday.

scy

So I just saw the first episode of the Hori-san to Miyamura-kun OVA.

I see that there's a Hori-san to Miyamura-kun and a Horimiya manga.

What's the difference, which one should I tackle first and I assume I should be reading them yesterday.

It's like the OPM thing of there being an original and then a redone one with better art. There's probably some story differences too but Horimiya is the one I'd recommend.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Horimiya is the prettier, fleshed out version of Hori-san to Miyamura-kun. Hori-san to Miyamura-kun came first, has pretty sloppy art, and is more in a 4-koma type layout. Horimiya has traditional manga panels. Horimiya is ongoing and comes out monthly and we've caught up, Hori-san to Miyamura-kun is already finished and I don't know how far translations have gone. Both of them have the same story.

It's like the OPM thing of there being an original and then a redone one with better art. There's probably some story differences too but Horimiya is the one I'd recommend.

Horimiya is the prettier, fleshed out version of Hori-san to Miyamura-kun. Hori-san to Miyamura-kun came first, has pretty sloppy art, and is more in a 4-koma type layout. Horimiya has traditional manga panels. Horimiya is ongoing and comes out monthly and we've caught up, Hori-san to Miyamura-kun is already finished and I don't know how far translations have gone. Both of them have the same story.

I see. Looks like the translations for Horimiya is farther along than Hori-san so I guess I can read both of them then. Will do after I catch up with the current stuff, lol.

Lain

Shindo 1-8

This is quite good, it's about a young girl, who has a tremendous talent for the piano but she rather play baseball instead and a guy, who plays the piano on a rather average level but is trying his best to get into a music college. The art is quite clumsy but it always get the point across and the characters are relatable, the young girl especially is really fun and reminds me with her forceful attitude a little of Tome from Tetsuwan Girl.

I've got to give this a read.

Quasar

Fuuka ch.2

So this is actually a series about cell phone culture.

I like her already. Like her phone attitude. And I think it would be great to see a continuing discussion about the role/impact of being always connected.

Am wondering though. Fuuka, at least ch1, is supposed to be in colour on Mangabox. I cant see it though. Is that just in Japan?

Thanks to those who wrote after my last comment :)

Shokugeki no Soma 58

Hype returns. I was afraid the author might have lost it with that series of dishes but when it's with Souma it's pretty cool most of the time. Especially since he made that other dude think he had the same idea.

wonzo

Banned
Hi Score Girl 1-6

The best SF2 romance story ever told.

Tetsuwan Girl 67

Duncan sounds like a real asshole, can't wait to see him get struck out!

AGBTS 12

That was some heavy shit. ;_;

kasane

Shokugeki no soma - 58

Sometimes i wish shounen mangs would just make their protag a bit of a gary stu.

i need more badass characters

Kieli

Shokugeki no soma - 58

Sometimes i wish shounen mangs would just make their protag a bit of a gary stu.

i need more badass characters

Either this, or you can start with a weak character and bring him/her through actual growth (e.g. Simon).

That said, I wonder if harta is offered digitally. I wouldn't mind purchasing it because it has some really good manga. Really, really dig Akie Irie's works and Swagamoto.

scy

Shishunki Bitter Change 5 - So now we're back to where Chapter 1 started, I guess? Three years after the original body swap?

Wonder when it'll make a cliche romance happen.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Natsu no Arashi! 1-7
Somehow I stumbled across this old school kinda manga. It's about a high school girl who can just to the present time from the past and wants to know why she has that power, and the middle school boy who fell in love with her. I think it's pretty boring most times, but I just want to see how the plot develops.

Charade

Natsu no Arashi! 1-7
Somehow I stumbled across this old school kinda manga. It's about a high school girl who can just to the present time from the past and wants to know why she has that power, and the middle school boy who fell in love with her. I think it's pretty boring most times, but I just want to see how the plot develops.

I thought this sounded familiar. Now I'm getting flashbacks of being disappointed by School Rumble again..

0kzz8Pz.png

Monster Musume 22

DULLAHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally.

Should have been introduced much earlier.

Also dat ass.

Dat breaking the panel.

10/10. Mon girls should join the harem and Sweetie is best husband.

wonzo

Banned
Samurai Papa 1-8

A really funny and (at times) charming series about a widowed samurai father
who's actually a salaryman in modern day Japan
tackling the momentous task of raising his daughter all on his own. More people should be reading this!!!

Shishunki Bitter Change 05

Still liking that the two characters are still discovering new things about each other.

Kinda surprised that we're not seeing all the years between the flashback and current time but at least I am interested in where this will go now.

Mortemis

Banned
Oh, new thread. Nice.

Soma 58

I like that the judges act like the show is over with Hayama being done, especially that girl judge. She's about to get her world rocked, foodgasm style. So I'm guessing Soma's going to score 95, and tie with Alice. I thought Alice would score higher but a tie makes more sense. Honestly I kinda wish for Soma to just get a 100 and face off with Himekawa that 9th seat guy. Get this arc moving faster!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi

The problem with making Haru into a haremite is that she's essentially identical to Chitoge but looks like Onodera.

Manga thread hasn't been any good(interesting to read discussions or have funny reactions to chapters or contain funny parodies ) since 2008-09, now it's nothing more then just animegaf 2.0 a bunch of perverts arguing endlessly back and forth about which millionth shallow 2d waifu is better then which and what random character they want to see together because reasons.

Simple it hasn't been any good since Azien, I blame duckroll his like the reverse Azien anything he touches turns to shit, ever since he showed up this thread went downhill.

His also rigged my gaf account to gold one in true villain fashion, when am morally against this shit, please get that gold filth off my account.

Its pretty funny, I remember when we used to laugh when people admitted to reading yaoi or To Love Ru (the original).

But the thing is, I don't think the actual posters are so different than they were in 2007 when I started posting in the thread - its mostly the same guys (and a bunch of dudes that get banned a lot). Its just that there's less pressure to only post about certain topics. And I don't really read the really smutty stuff some people do, but waifu wars are no less shallow than the arguments we used to have.

Ace of Diamond 54 - 57
Bgj5XWhCEAAA3r3.png

Series continues to show that the pitchers largely have exciting characters, and though Kawakimi isnt on the starting lead one he is probably my fourth favorite in the entire series. (Furuya, Eijun, Mei). With a bit of confidence he will be a good relief for whenever the mains arent up or Tanba falls out. Funny on scene field.

Coach continues to be pretty intense, that confrontation scene with Tanba and stubbornness even.

Lain

The Breaker New Waves 148
Well, that was bullshit. I don't really understand why he went and saved him.
Also, I hate the font used for those communications. It gets blurry here and there and that blurriness annoys me something fierce.

Quasar

Mayo Chiki - The End - Happy ending time.

I'm kind of shocked how many manga I've been reading have all been ending lately. Something in the water?

Nisekoi

I love how the main female protagonist isn't even relavent anymore...

It has been a lot of hogwash between him and the (now two) Onoderas... And the main bad thing about this is they both didn't confess still

They should just call the series the Onoderas and the idiotic Raku ability to increase his female click.... Seriously he only has like 1 male friend
-_-

I don't care about them walking and blushing all day long

At least when constant Chitoge chapters happened they had actual plot!

My most interesting arc was the whole Chitoge and her Mother story... Heck her Mother knows something but at least she was wise enough to book it out of here knowing more BS will follow suit

Business trip... Ha! We know the real reason

I never knew I would hate a main protagonist as much as I hate Raku... I hate Onodera only because she drags on this filler nonsense with all her chapters

She has no relevant back story... I wouldn't really mind about her fillers if it didn't take close to 50% of the series chapters

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:<<<<<<<<<<<

I ju... Just....

T_T

Samurai Papa 1-8

A really funny and (at times) charming series about a widowed samurai father
who's actually a salaryman in modern day Japan
tackling the momentous task of raising his daughter all on his own. More people should be reading this!!!

This one's really funny. The Lone Wolf and Cub reference on the volume 1 cover is hilarious.

I agree 100%. The reason I like Chitoge is because stuff actually happens when she's around. This series is trash, even though it was so promising as a one-shot.
I agree
She was downgraded to a sub character out of nowhere...
more random girls appeared...
fillers increased tenfold...
and Raku become more and more of an idiot sadly even after he gained some respect in the Mother arc

What makes it worst is that because of these Onodera filler chapters she became first place in the character polls which only means more chapters of her, do to her popularity... great

I cringe with any Onodera family chapter

I cringe even more if random girl #? joins the fray

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
The only time Raku gets developed as a character is when Chitoge's around: the test of courage thing, the beach, romeo and juliet, her mother... That's where he shines. When it comes to the other girls, he's just a bland goodie two shoes. When Onodera appears without Chitoge in sight in a chapter, I know nothing of value will be gained or lost.

And aren't those popularity polls just based on really vocal, singular fans? That one guy sent like 1500 votes for Marika and they all counted for some reason.

The only time Raku gets developed as a character is when Chitoge's around: the test of courage thing, the beach, romeo and juliet, her mother... That's where he shines. When it comes to the other girls, he's just a bland goodie two shoes. When Onodera appears without Chitoge in sight in a chapter, I know nothing of value will be gained or lost.

And aren't those popularity polls just based on really vocal, singular fans? That one guy sent like 1500 votes for Marika and they all counted for some reason.
Wow that is intense dedication

But in all honesty... We all know that Chitoge is the person from his past

She is the only one who has all this evidence pointing towards her

The story book about the ribbon, she left to the US, etc...

Of course I wouldn't be shocked if the author decided to switch her out from being the promise girl seeing as he made her completely irrelevant with the last few chapters...

She comes in about to say hi and then just randomly *boom Onodera comes out of nowhere and hijacks the next few chapter saying "this day I will confess"
Meanwhile Raku becomes a idiotic baboon
(He also becomes one with the other cast of females)

Seriously if there was an antagonist for this series it would be Onodera

kasane

I agree
She was downgraded to a sub character out of nowhere...
more random girls appeared...
fillers increased tenfold...
and Raku become more and more of an idiot sadly even after he gained some respect in the Mother arc

What makes it worst is that because of these Onodera filler chapters she became first place in the character polls which only means more chapters of her, do to her popularity... great

I cringe with any Onodera family chapter

I cringe even more if random girl #? joins the fray

blame jump

i swear this is jumps fault

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that is intense dedication

But in all honesty... We all know that Chitoge is the person from his past

She is the only one who has all this evidence pointing towards her

The story book about the ribbon, she left to the US, etc...

Of course I wouldn't be shocked if the author decided to switch her out from being the promise girl seeing as he made her completely irrelevant with the last few chapters...

She comes in about to say hi and then just randomly *boom Onodera comes out of nowhere and hijacks the next few chapter saying "this day I will confess"
Meanwhile Raku becomes a idiotic baboon
(He also becomes one with the other cast of females)

Seriously if there was an antagonist for this series it would be Onodera
Check the text at the bottom of the image in Akito's post, it's legit. Crazy fans.

The promise girl has always been either Onodera or Chitoge, the other girls obviously don't matter at all. Recent hints have made it pretty obvious that it's Chitoge - the brown eyes, the ribbon's origins, "zaxia in love", the whole thing from the memory loss arc... I dunno, he could switch it around and make it Onodera, but ehhh. She has nothing compelling about her.

The real protagonist of this series is Chitoge. And since Onodera just stalls what little plot this series has, of course she'd be the antagonist to overcome.

edit: actually, promise girl might be Onodera, because when he lost his memory, Raku said he met the promise girl for the first time when he found her crying and reading the picture book, but Chitoge's diary said the first time they met was when he saved her from being trapped in a crevice. So yeah. It doesn't matter much either way.

kasane

Check the text at the bottom of the image in Akito's post, it's legit. Crazy fans.

The promise girl has always been either Onodera or Chitoge, the other girls obviously don't matter at all. Recent hints have made it pretty obvious that it's Chitoge - the brown eyes, the ribbon's origins, "zaxia in love", the whole thing from the memory loss arc... I dunno, he could switch it around and make it Onodera, but ehhh. She has nothing compelling about her.

The real protagonist of this series is Chitoge. And since Onodera just stalls what little plot this series has, of course she'd be the antagonist to overcome.

maybe another ichigo 100% will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom