• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Ive enjoyed a few shoujo
Soul Rescue
Hinatama
Seishun Kouryakuhon
Lucky Dog 1 Blast
Zyklus;Code

Torikago Syndrome
Angel Clock

These caught my interest. I'll look into them further.

It's still ongoing, and goes all the way through to the two girls preparing for the crimson goddess play, but the translations pretty much stalled at where the author left for a hiatus. :(

That's a bummer! Nothing kills me more than an interesting story that I can't access because of the lack of translation :(

Akito

G-Maru Edition was funny, it's not very long so you should give it a shot. Te to Kuchi isn't written by Kawashita, she's just the artist. It's been pretty good so far, but it's still early so who knows how it'll end up.
G-Maru Edition was also pretty funny in the sense that you could think of it as a little self-aware since the MC is a girl who wants to become a shoujo mangaka but is stuck drawing smut. But since Kawashita started out as an yaoi artist the parallels might not be what they appear to be.

akaoni

Banned
Shoujo would be way more popular if they used regular more rectangular panels and shit, but I guess people like it that way.

EDIT: And I was going to say, the cliche romance shoujo are the equivalent of the smut harem for guys. There's a reason people on both sides don't get tired of it.

Cradle of Monsters 39-41 (END)
H1cPYeX.png
Tragic victim of fan death.

It's been nearly 18 months since I last read this, but fortunately the plot was simplistic enough that I could largely remember what was going on. Whatshisname's heroic sacrifice didn't do anything for me though, since I never cared much for the cast even before the break. Not a bad read overall, but anyone without my affinity for these kinds of survival stories probably wouldn't enjoy it much.

Hey buuuuuuudy!....

.....so how many guys here read Shoujo mangas? Is it true they make your penis fall off?
I've read (or at least tried to read) far too much shoujo manga, but the only ones that've had any real impact on me are the more, uh, unorthodox manga such as Screaming Lessons, Kousha no Ura ni wa Tenshi ga Umerarete Iru and Gin'iro no Kami no Arisa. I've tried, but I just can't stomach generic shoujo romance, a genre which seems to be about as creatively bankrupt as shounen harem (and without the sweetener of waifus).

Kurita

Hey buuuuuuudy!....

.....so how many guys here read Shoujo mangas? Is it true they make your penis fall off?

I read several shoujo and josei, I enjoy them a lot.
Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Ao Haru Ride, Kamakura Diary, Switch Girl, Princess Jellyfish, Kids on The Slope, Tensai Family Company... The love stories are often better than in the shounen/seinen mangas.

I don't really care about shoujo archetypes because shounen too has the same.

and yeah, 95% of shoujo sucks, same as 95% out of shonen out there. Don't beat up a whole sub-genre just because of that.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I read several shoujo and josei, I enjoy them a lot.
Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Ao Haru Ride, Kamakura Diary, Switch Girl, Princess Jellyfish, Kids on The Slope, Tensai Family Company... The love stories are often better than in the shounen/seinen mangas.

I really do appreciate how romance is handled as much more than a plot device in shoujo/josei mangas.

scy

Hadi Girl 10 - So ... is it wrong that I still expect this to go horrible somehow?

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 14 - RIP Curry

Kingdom 330 - Sei being Sei. Twice in a row.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care about shoujo archetypes because shounen too has the same.

and yeah, 95% of shoujo sucks, same as 95% out of shonen out there. Don't beat up a whole sub-genre just because of that.
That's true. I'm just a little frustrated because it's hard to stomach that type of romance again and again. With shitty shonen manga, I can at least be distracted by the action scenes and setting, which is frequently different unlike the typical shojo high school setting.

A lot of my favorite series are shojo series: Gakuen Babysitters, Oresama Teacher, Last Game, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun... Not all of those are strictly romance-focused though (at least not the first two anyway).

El Sloth

Banned
Kingdom

Dah King. Now I'm all hyped for the battle. I wonder if Sei will actually being playing the part of General or if Shoubunkun will be doing most of the heavy lifting.

Kingdom 328-330

Bow before the king.

Also where Yotanwa at. Don't tell me she's going to show up at the last second behind the enemy ranks or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Good god Seo loves Manic Pixie Dream Girls. I just don't get the obsession with socially inept girls.

Koi wo suru nara kono machi de 2
BgnJqh-CQAAMKsB.png

Funny chapter with his view and story of how he views cool people and how it ended up affecting him so much in life that he needs help getting over it. Club Fabre scene with the first attempt to help him was amazingly hilarious.

Chousuinou Kei 11 and 12

Kei continues to be one of the best mystery manga ongoing at this present time. Drowned Dry Arc was a compelling mysterious with an outcome I hadnt even forseen. Kei's thinking is too good.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Gyakuten Honey 1-3
By the author of Gakuen Babysitters. A delinquent and his childhood friend switch bodies after he kicks a turtle, who is actually a god. It's cute, although nothing gets concluded. The girl is an airhead but a good person. I have no idea whether she actually loves him like he loves her. Was expecting something more because of the author, but it's still pretty decent.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I agree
She was downgraded to a sub character out of nowhere...
more random girls appeared...
fillers increased tenfold...
and Raku become more and more of an idiot sadly even after he gained some respect in the Mother arc

What makes it worst is that because of these Onodera filler chapters she became first place in the character polls which only means more chapters of her, do to her popularity... great

I cringe with any Onodera family chapter

I cringe even more if random girl #? joins the fray

If you read the popularity poll comments, they're meaningless. It's just one or two guys voting thousands of times.

Tsuki Tsuki! 32
8Ikk1aL.png

Have to say, if you're trying to throw someone off the scent of supernaturals, that particular explanation was doubtlessly a better solution than having Kaorun go all Raging Demon on them. Not that I would've particularly minded, since Minami's a fodder-tier character anyway.

Lirlond

I dont think I even have one favorite. One Piece was cool when I had 500 chapters to read, kinda cooled off on it after the time skip. Berserk and Slam Dunk are the only ones I can think of. Also, don't read smut stuff.

Edit: I've been a lurker since 2008 and this community changed a lot, I didn't. Mostly read the "big 3" shounen weekly, everything else i kinda lose interest in after a while.

You should read 7 Seeds, Vinland Saga and Sanctuary

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Love Allergen 1-30
Uhhh it's about a girl who's allergic to love and a guy who's too handsome for both men and women trying to learn what love is. If they do that, the spirit of a cherry blossom tree who grows from that love will cure the girl of the love allergy. Was weird, but I grinned a few times because it was kind of ridiculous.

Kingdom 228-230

Sei was great but unless someone comes to help them, there's practically no chance of them fighting against Riboku. Time for Yotanwa to reappear.

Mortemis

Banned
So mangagaf, now that midterms are over I've got some free time on my hands and want to start another long series, and I'm thinking either Toriko or Kingdom. Which one should I start? Are their anime adaptations any good? I'd rather just read it than spend more time watching it, but if it's better I could just do that. I'm open to other series too.

Tower of God S2 100

God, this arc is dragging on too long, hopefully things pick up and this arc ends soon.

LeleSocho

Banned
Gigantomakia 6
Sorry but you must go away, i'm the original pumpkin here.

Donyatsu 35
It's happening.

-

No one will care but i'll say it anyway, it took this whole day to capture a Kyogre with a Premier Ball (like my first one <3 ) but not only that... it has high Sp.Atk IVs and it's also Mild nature! All at the first catch. I'm so happy....

So mangagaf, now that midterms are over I've got some free time on my hands and want to start another long series, and I'm thinking either Toriko or Kingdom. Which one should I start? Are their anime adaptations any good? I'd rather just read it than spend more time watching it, but if it's better I could just do that. I'm open to other series too.

Well with the Toriko anime seemingly changing the outcome of a major current fight and potentially ending prematurely, I would avoid watching it and read it (Though I did watch 140+ episodes and current)

survivor

Banned
Sunny vol 2
vdmj8bY.jpg

Finally found the time to read the second volume, had to read the first volume as well to refresh my memory of the characters. Anyway the last couple of chapters with Haruo and his mom, fuck man, it hits me hard to see Haruo trying his best to act good in front of his mom even though he knows he will abandoned again and can't stay with her forever ;_; And what sucks even more is that it's probably based on someone real that Matsumoto knew from the orphanage.

Toriko is Shonen
Kingdom is Seinen

Toriko has 266 translated chapters so far
Kingdom has 330 translated chapters so far

Toriko translations have caught up with the Japanese releases
Kingdom translations are ~45 chapters behind but they're moving at a fast pace (~5ch/week) and will catch up soon

Toriko is pretty good
Kingdom is imo better than Toriko in pretty much every regard and my favourite ongoing manga right now

Mortemis

Banned
Well with the Toriko anime seemingly changing the outcome of a major current fight and potentially ending prematurely, I would avoid watching it and read it (Though I did watch 140+ episodes and current)

Yeah, I heard they also censor the fights or something but Idk about that. I'm not really feeling like starting a long anime so I'll just stick to the manga.
Toriko is Shonen
Kingdom is Seinen

Toriko has 266 translated chapters so far
Kingdom has 330 translated chapters so far

Toriko translations have caught up with the Japanese releases
Kingdom translations are ~45 chapters behind but they're moving at a fast pace (~5ch/week) and will catch up soon

Toriko is pretty good
Kingdom is imo better than Toriko in pretty much every regard and my favourite ongoing manga right now

Thanks. I know that one's shounen and the other is seinen, but if you could compare kingdom to something what would it be? At the moment I'm leaning more toward Kingdom since I tried Toriko and couldn't get passed the beginning, but I'm willing to try it again sometime.

Thanks. I know that one's shounen and the other is seinen, but if you could compare kingdom to something what would it be? At the moment I'm leaning more toward Kingdom since I tried Toriko and couldn't get passed the beginning, but I'm willing to try it again sometime.

Difficult to compare it to anything to be honest. It's basically a rather gritty war manga with plenty of standout characters, lots of hotblooded-ness and drama (the good kind). Some of the battles can get really large-scale and tactical but the larger-than-life characters prevent it from ever getting dull. Then there's also the stuff outside of the battlefield and the political battles of wits at the royal court.

I might be overselling it but it's really really good. I think most in this thread who started reading it became hooked almost instantly.

Lain

I Love You!! Magical Angel Cosmos volume 1
Ha9.jpg

Sometimes the way things work out makes my head spin.
I bought this because the cover was cute and seemed innocent enough (yep, nice covers will fool me good). I didn't even know what it was about. I didn't care. Turns out it's about an elementary schoolgirl that takes care of a boarding house or something (her dad died and her mom disappeared or something) who turns into a magician because of reasons and has to save the city she lives in from disappearing/turning into a desert like many other cities all over Japan.

Oh, her familiar, for a silly turns of events, ends up being inserted into her panties (so she has talking panties), she's in love with a 20 year old pervert (a short, overweight dude that is shown to us the first time as standing in the middle of a pile of female underwear he's stolen, while wearing some of it) and the oldest girl at the boarding house is the usual perverted drinking woman, with a sorta fetish for magic.

The manga is perverted, and sometimes, given the elementary schoolgirl, creepy too. Naturally it turns out that it's from the Sora no Otoshimono dude + My Balls artist, so I shouldn't have expected anything less.
This will teach me to not pay attention, though the art is nice and I'm curious about how the story will develop. I mean, talking panties. It was genius in TLR Darkness.

Mortemis

Banned
Difficult to compare it to anything to be honest. It's basically a rather gritty war manga with plenty of standout characters, lots of hotblooded-ness and drama (the good kind). Some of the battles can get really large-scale and tactical but the larger-than-life characters prevent it from ever getting dull. Then there's also the stuff outside of the battlefield and the political battles of wits at the royal court.

I might be overselling it but it's really really good. I think most in this thread who started reading it became hooked almost instantly.

Sounds awesome, I'll try it out right now. I'll try Toriko some other time. Thanks for that!

Persona 4 - The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena 01-05

So yep, an adaptation of the fighting game. Since I suck at fighting games, this wasn't bad.

Good adaptation of the kinda multiple beginning parts of the story and nice use of everybody's Persona 3 characters.

Fairy Tail 371

Card plan was pretty handy to come back into the series from so long ago (Tower of Heaven). Chuckled at it being put to use here and then to take them way up there. Was disappointed clothes appeared so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom