• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Himegoto c1-2
2U8.jpg

Akito reminded me I wanted to give this a look.
I didn't think it was this smutty. Between the girl that dresses like a boy masturbating when she puts a skirt on and the beauty that looks younger than her age selling her body, this is going places already.

Never read that, does the protagonist end up with the fan favorite instead of who he'd been blatantly developed together with?
Never read it but I can confirm by other people stating it to me that yes the fan favorite wins and not the main girl
blame jump

i swear this is jumps fault
Jumps editors cause problems for most series

They just always want to follow the mainstream and gain more viewers

They destroy most series with either random comedic, mascot or filler non progressing characters and cancel a lot of worthwhile series

GAWD

At least once a month I find fault in the series...

Why do I even read it!

What hope is left... What reason to continue?
Still going to read it T_T

Quixzlizx

Fuck Ichigo 100%. Can't believe I read that trash. I read it after it was complete, too, so I don't even have the excuse of being strung along every week hoping for improvement. At least Nisekoi has funny reaction faces.

Ikumen datte Koishimasu 3
tumblr_n12pceiBM11qbxqfpo1_500.png

Drama troubles popped up leading to the typical separation type struggles. It was unfortunate that it was the result of some weird teaching regime implemented by someone as I cant imagine why she would think it was weird. At least fortunately, Yui and Asagi were able to work out their difficulties and get back together and in a really great well drawn set of panels to close the chapter out.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Hey buuuuuuudy!....

.....so how many guys here read Shoujo mangas? Is it true they make your penis fall off?

dumbyugi

Hey buuuuuuudy!....

.....so how many guys here read Shoujo mangas? Is it true they make your penis fall off?

I've read a few Shoujo series and I still have my penis as far as I know. I tend to avoid most Shoujo series though because most of them have art that I can't stand. Though if the story is really good though I could probably get over that.

Romantica Clock 01-05

A story about a headstrong girl and her aloof twin brother and their relationship between each other and their friends.

It is pretty much a shoujo down to the flowerly art. It is enjoyable so far though mostly due to all the nice warm feelings between the twins and how they interact. I guess a big bonus is that its been pretty heavy drama free which is always a plus for me.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Shojo series are frequently all the same. It's always the handsome bad boy who happens to be a player or smartest in the grade or any other quality that makes him inordinately popular in school and too good to be true. The girl's always spineless and clingy and exceedingly average in popularity/smarts/everything worthwhile. And she'll frequently have no friends or just one or two ineffectual ones who get paired off with the main guy's rival in love or friend or both. And her whole life as depicted by the manga revolves around getting him to notice her. Top it off with bad art, aggressive love rivals that don't really do anything other than give an excuse for the main guy or girl to recognize or pursue their feelings for each other, and sometimes poorly drawn and awkward sex scenes where the girl always cries for god knows what reason, and you've got your average shojo.

Case in point...

Chicchai Toki Kara Suki Dakedo 1-6
I'm a sucker for the childhood friend romantic cliche, but this barely used it that much despite it being the hook. I couldn't even tell how or why he fell for her, if he did at all. Basically your average shojo (as in it's shit).

I'm a fan of romance, but 90% of shojo manga just don't do it right.

Kieli

Imho, I find josei >> 95% of shoujo. I like seinen and shounen equally, if you can consider it possible to like a demography.

Mayo Chiki 38 END
I never realized that was the full name of the series. Well the more you know. Well it was a good ending in that he did get the girl and the harem is still close and it's still cute

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hey buuuuuuudy!....

You guys should read glass mask aka greatest manga of all time.

As for Shoujo I used to read quite a bit, though I mostly read seinen and josei, or just any random thing that looks interesting. Don't mind shounen but I can't handle too much of it.

Quasar

Horimiya 1-30 - pretty sweet little school romance. Nothing fancy. Nice that it doesn't need to go hundreds of chapters without even a confession.

Westlo

Never read that, does the protagonist end up with the fan favorite instead of who he'd been blatantly developed together with?

Nah man, he got together with the fan favorite who was also in most of the scenes that had actual development. Main girl could've won anytime if she actually did something, she lost because she did squat. It was also dragged out way too long but the best and right girl won. They really shouldn't have wasted any time with Kozue Mukai and the cram school arc, should've just started to wind the manga down instead of trying to pad it out.

Anyway for anyone who read/s them how were Kawashita's last two manga series in the ongoing Te to Kuchi and G-Maru Edition.

kasane

I'm convinced togashi will continue HxH whenever naruto is done.

As for berserk I have no hope that it will be finished

Nordicus

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 14

Cooking chapter. Good news is that they kinda subvert/lampshade the "obliviously deadly bad at cooking" trope in a way!

I probably wouldn't know how to make standard curry without a recipe, let alone transcendent curry

So radiant! So scary

Spinx

*ahem* can you please list out your top 5 manga please

I dont think I even have one favorite. One Piece was cool when I had 500 chapters to read, kinda cooled off on it after the time skip. Berserk and Slam Dunk are the only ones I can think of. Also, don't read smut stuff.

Edit: I've been a lurker since 2008 and this community changed a lot, I didn't. Mostly read the "big 3" shounen weekly, everything else i kinda lose interest in after a while.

dumbyugi

Anyway for anyone who read/s them how were Kawashita's last two manga series in the ongoing Te to Kuchi and G-Maru Edition.

G-Maru Edition was funny, it's not very long so you should give it a shot. Te to Kuchi isn't written by Kawashita, she's just the artist. It's been pretty good so far, but it's still early so who knows how it'll end up.

I dont think I even have one favorite. One Piece was cool when I had 500 chapters to read, kinda cooled off on it after the time skip. Berserk and Slam Dunk are the only ones I can think of. Also, don't read smut stuff.

Edit: I've been a lurker since 2008 and this community changed a lot, I didn't. Mostly read the "big 3" shounen weekly, everything else i kinda lose interest in after a while.

Big three means Toriko right?....

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Edit: I don't really read any smut either

Unless you call Shokugeki Soma in that category

Nisekoi is neither smut or Shonen rather it is the epitome of dispair

Fake Edit #2: well I guess Fairy Tail is extreme smut now
:/

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
You guys should read glass mask aka greatest manga of all time.

As for Shoujo I used to read quite a bit, though I mostly read seinen and josei, or just any random thing that looks interesting. Don't mind shounen but I can't handle too much of it.

Its one of my favorite anime of all time. Does the manga cover more / go longer than the anime? That would alone be enough to put it in the backlog. In fact, I started reading Skip Beat where the anime left off in hope of getting the acting drama feel that I got from glass mask. Sadly, I'm at chapter 97 and there hasn't been much of it for 35 chapters now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Its one of my favorite anime of all time. Does the manga cover more / go longer than the anime? That would alone be enough to put it in the backlog. In fact, I started reading Skip Beat where the anime left off in hope of getting the acting drama feel that I got from glass mask. Sadly, I'm at chapter 97 and there hasn't been much of it for 35 chapters now.

It's still ongoing, and goes all the way through to the two girls preparing for the crimson goddess play, but the translations pretty much stalled at where the author left for a hiatus. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom