• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
try all you want shonen jump but toriko just don't got the gusto to reach onepiece/hxh/narutu/bleach status

HA HA HA

As if the lukewarm porridge known as Naruto has anything approaching "gusto." And I'm pretty sure Toriko is more popular than Bleach in Japan at this point, so it makes sense to give it top billing in the game.

dumbyugi

As if the lukewarm porridge known as Naruto has anything approaching "gusto." And I'm pretty sure Toriko is more popular than Bleach in Japan at this point, so it makes sense to give it top billing in the game.

Toriko is still less popular then Bleach as far as I know. Toriko is in the Gintama tier, it's not as popular as the top tier series but it's more popular then most Jump series.

Kusagari

Toriko isn't even in the top 5 selling series in Jump.

Naruto, OP, HxH, Bleach, Kuroko and AssClass all sell more.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Minamoto Kun Monogatari 74
dayum6sxfd.gif

Let me guess, he didn't have sex again

Top 15 First Printings 2012-2013
http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/actus/2013/04/07/Top-15-des-3-Gros-Editeurs-2012-2013

Shueisha
01 One Piece #67 4 050 000
02 Hunter x Hunter #30 1 580 000
03 Naruto #62 1 530 000
04 Kimi ni Todoke #16 1 080 000
05 Blue Exorcist #08 920 000
06 Ansatsu Kyôshitsu #03 900 000
07 Bleach #56 750 000
08 Real #12 720 000
09 Kuroko's Basket #21 680 000
10 Toriko #19 590 000
11 Jojolion #03 555 000
12 Gintama #44 500 000
12 To Love Darkness #05 500 000
14 Shin Tennis no Ôjisama #08 460 000
15 Blue Spring Ride #06 400 000

Kodansha
01 Shingeki no Kyojin #07 1 050 000
02 Vagabond #34 1 000 000
03 Saint Oniisan #08 970 000
04 Fairy Tail #36 600 000
05 Space Brothers #18 500 000
06 Ôkiku Furikabutte #19 430 000
07 Ahiru no Sora #37 400 000
07 Chihayafuru #20 400 000
09 Ippo #102 380 000
10 Initial D #45 360 000
11 Shura no Mon - Dai ni Mon #06 357 000
12 Sukitte Ii Na Yo #10 350 000
13 Giant Killing #24 325 000
14 Kaze Densetsu Bukkomi no Taku Gaiden - Early Day's #03 318 000
15 Daiya no Ace #31 315 000

Shogakukan
01 Silver Spoon #06 1 050 000
02 Detective Conan #78 700 000
03 Mix #02 650 000
04 Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic #16 500 000
05 Tsubaki Love #15 (Fin) 360 000
06 Hayate the combat butler #33 320 000
07 Suki desu Suzuki-kun!! #16 255 000
08 Otoko no Issho #04 240 000
09 I am a Hero #09 240 000
10 Kobayashi ga Kawaisugite Tsuraii!! #01 200 000
10 Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi #48 190 000
10 Lovely Love Lie #09 190 000
10 Yamikin Ushijima-kun - Live Movie Guide 190 000
14 Gaku #18 (Fin) 185 000
15 Ane no Kekkon #04 180 000

Bleach is getting to its previous sales selling between 700-800k a volume. Amazing. I hope the anime comes back soon.

Magi

Koha Alibaba team up should be really good. I don´t think Koha has a chance against 3 dark Djinn, and i wish Aladdin will let Mog rot instead of saving his rukh, and bringing him back to the great rukh stream.

Shokugeki no Soma 01-16

Oh hey, this is a pretty fun read. Cool characters, being about food's awesome too. The setting is pretty nice, I like the style of the art and I like the pace of it as well. Will keep reading.

I just learned that there's an Attack on Titan school comedy spinoff

bTwgaD6.jpg

and for some reason nobody's translating it. SMH at people's priorities.

Lain

The Day Before Summer vol. 1-3
f7n.jpg

From the author of Koi Kaze, a story revolving around an art university student, his relationship with an older woman and the search of what to do in life.
As one would expect from Motoi Yoshida, the way the story is told as well as the art itself lends a really romantic atmosphere to the whole tale.

Tetsuo, the university student, is someone I don't completely understand. He's in love with Akira, the older woman that he ends in a relationship with, but he's also captivated by Hanami, a girl he doesn't know that he happens to see from time to time when working or going outside. So far the story has presented her as a muse for Tetsuo, though not being an artist, I don't get the difference between a muse that inspire you and someone you love, since I feel that a sort of love or interest has to be there and, with certain things having happened, I expect the events to become filled with some drama in the future.

Akira is an interesting character. She's an older woman, beautiful, with a gallery to manage and that got interested in Tetsuo when she saw him working on a painting. She seems to have a bit conflicting feelings. She wants him to love her and think about her (she get really worried when she finds out about Hanami by looking at one of Tetsuo's drawbooks) she wants him to concentrate on his art, knowing full well that when that happens he stops thinking about her.

The various other characters, mainly Tetsuo's 2 friends at the university are interesting in their own right, though I like Inoue more than Mori. Her self nude was pretty good and painted her as a bit more bold than her look would make you think. Mori is the funny, nice friend though I feel the friendship will be tested with the direction the author went in volume 3.

I see this has been scanlated up to chapter 14 of volume 3 and it is ongoing, so read it people if you haven't already!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Magi 180

Aw yiss.

I've been waiting for Kouha to make a major appearance for ages. Love cute but psychotic characters. Also he's not that bad of a guy after all!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just want to ask a question: how many of you folks the fans of manga also a fan of American-style comic like X-Men and stuff?

Generally the style of those two clash rather severely so it would be interesting if a person can actually like them both at the same value.

Jintor

that's some cool art

Yeah I love that stuff. Not recently though. Not into Marvel as much, been thinking about the new Hawkeye comic though. I'm a big fan of the standalone DC stuff rather than the stuff that ties into their larger metaverse. And there's always the indie stuff.

Antiwhippy

Just want to ask a question: how many of you folks the fans of manga also a fan of American-style comic like X-Men and stuff?

Generally the style of those two clash rather severely so it would be interesting if a person can actually like them both at the same value.

I used to be big into the vertigo catalog.

I always grab my comics every Wednesday along with a copy of Bleach that I'm missing if I can afford it. In fact about 80% of my Bleach collection was from when I bought my comics.

Jintor

I still haven't read a lot of vertigo stuff. Only thing I've got is Sandman. All of Sandman. Except Sandman Mystery Theatre unfortunately.

Reknoc

I buy the odd Batman graphic novel here and there, but mostly I tend to avoid American comics because they seem all over the place and it takes too much research (by which I mean it takes actual research) into finding a good starting point.

Kurita

I'm not really interested in Marvel and DC, though I think some of their characters are really cool. It just always seems to be so confusing with all the reboots and such.
I couldn't afford buying comics anyway with all the mangas I buy.

I love Scott Pilgrim to death though, I need to buy the color edition.
And I also like franco-belgian comics, Boulet has been one of my favorite authors for years.
His artstyle is so cool :

Jintor

The other western comic stuff I have, from a quick glance at my shelf: A few random Astrix and Tintins, a few Avatar Airbender comics, Astro City, Batgirl comics, Neil Gaiman's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader" (the Batman RIP one-shot that works on its on basically), a bunch of Blue Beetle, a Calvin and Hobbes collection (i need a full collection! Leatherbound!), DC: The New Frontier, one Lucifer volume for some reason, a couple of volumes of Powers, The Sandman, Watchmen, Superman: Red Son and Superman: Secret Identity, and Gotham Central.

Oh, and Scott Pilgrim.

Jintor

Tintin is still a god damned masterclass in panelling.

I've been meaning to grab some issues of Empowered or something because I love that dude's story stuff, even though his art is incredibly messy

Reknoc

I don't have any Tintin books but I do have a few of the Asterix omnibuses and 1 volume of Valerian and Laureline (thanks to the anime available on US Crunchyroll)

Moosichu

Screw Tintin and Asterix, I read Titeuf, Captain Biceps, Kid Paddle, Womoks... !

I loved Kid Paddle when I was younger, should probably pick-up a couple of issues. (GAME OVER was quite good as well.)

Nowadays, its all about Les Schtroumpfs.

Although I grew up in Belgium, I still didn't have much exposure to this as Super Sayan's were much cooler than anything else. (Pokemon, Beyblade and Yu Gi Oh were the others. )

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Heeeeee :)

It's nice to see that many MangaGAF members are well-read and diverse in taste, despite maybe some who may think otherwise.

Very cool guys. I am not a fan of American-style comics myself but maybe I am doing myself a disservice and starts looking for stuff to read.

Jintor

Kyou no Asuka Show 01-14

I thought this series would be more ecchi than it actually is, but instead, it's actually really funny. And the main character is a total airhead, but she's also kinda smart at the same time.

Wiseblade

Heeeeee :)

It's nice to see that many MangaGAF members are well-read and diverse in taste, despite maybe some who may think otherwise.

Very cool guys. I am not a fan of American-style comics myself but maybe I am doing myself a disservice and starts looking for stuff to read.

It's mostly EuroGAF and our illustrious history with comics. One I've caught up on One Piece volumes, I'll probably buy Sandman and stop lurking the libraries in my area to try and read it.

Retcon: Forget the Dandy, It's all about the Beano! Dennis the Menace for life!

Antiwhippy

I think a more interesting question would be if mangaf is still keeping up with any novels.

I've been nursing a copy of A Confederacy of Dunces for ages.

Lain

I used to be a lot into Marvel stuff. Not anymore though, feels pointless.
I was also big into Disney comics. I used to buy Topolino, a weekly with stories of Mickey Mouse, donald Duck etc and was especially into Paperinik when it started getting published, though I stopped buying it after some time.

Titeuf has been published in several countries!

I see it on TV. I so want to cut that hair of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom