• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heeeeee :)

It's nice to see that many MangaGAF members are well-read and diverse in taste, despite maybe some who may think otherwise.

Very cool guys. I am not a fan of American-style comics myself but maybe I am doing myself a disservice and starts looking for stuff to read.

Vertigo has some great stuff. Sandman, Fable, etc. I'd recommend reading Hawkeye by David Aja and Matt Fraction.

wonzo

Banned
Silver Spoon 71

A nice and mostly cheerful chapter after all the drama's a pretty relaxing way to bring in the snow season. Though it looks like next encounter with Hachiken's dad is just around the corner.

Kurita

I think a more interesting question would be if mangaf is still keeping up with any novels.

I've been nursing a copy of A Confederacy of Dunces for ages.

Not really, though I buy the Donjon de Naheulbeuk novels.
I plan to read 1Q84 at some point and Higashino Keigo's books since I love the drama adaptations of his novels.

I've been meaning to switch to digital books, maybe I'll be more interested in books, I know I'm missing out on great novels.

Jintor

Notes from Underground and The Double.

I'm also reading Otaku: Japan's Database Animals and bits of the Bible just because I've never read the whole thing before. I've got a bookdepository shipment coming in over the next week, too.

Oh man, Kyou no Asuka Show has an anime? Huh.

I used to be a lot into Marvel stuff. Not anymore though, feels pointless.
I was also big into Disney comics. I used to buy Topolino, a weekly with stories of Mickey Mouse, donald Duck etc and was especially into Paperinik when it started getting published, though I stopped buying it after some time.

The irony is that Disney now owns Marvel lol.

Just want to ask a question: how many of you folks the fans of manga also a fan of American-style comic like X-Men and stuff?

Generally the style of those two clash rather severely so it would be interesting if a person can actually like them both at the same value.

Depends. I usually only buy some DC related comics. Also 100 bullets, Scott Pilgrim, DMZ, Y: The Last Man, Sandman was great. Hell the Western indie comics scene is a treasure trove of good stories.

Although for Marvel, EVERYONE should read this.

HAWKEYE2012001_DC11.jpg

If any of you like slice of life mangas, it's a requirement.

On the subject of books, the last two I've read were Boy and Going Solo by Roald Dahl. Both were great. Getting World War Z next.

Deadman Wonderland 1-3

I dunno who I find more annoying Ganta or Shiro. At this point I'm more interested in the mystery then the actual prison. I am enjoying it so far though it seems funny how people don't realize it's real (the deaths I mean)

Kurita

Deadman Wonderland 1-3

I dunno who I find more annoying Ganta or Shiro. At this point I'm more interested in the mystery then the actual prison. I am enjoying it so far though it seems funny how people don't realize it's real (the deaths I mean)

Ganta is such an annoying MC.

Wiseblade

I used to read both as a kid, they are equally awful. Not funny in the slightest, but they definitely tried to be.

I chuckled once at a Beano. I don't think I've ever met anyone who read the Dandy. But really, my nostalgia is for the 90's Dennis cartoon.

Akito

Deadman Wonderland 1-3

Ga-Ga-Ganta Fight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M3k-6Oa4fE

Silver Spoon 71
Highly amusing chapter, the title cover alone was amazing. I'm surprised that Hachiken's brother even had some notebooks and guides, I imagined he would just say that he got into college without even studying for it.

Stinky

I chuckled once at a Beano. I don't think I've ever met anyone who read the Dandy. But really, my nostalgia is for the 90's Dennis cartoon.

I always thought his voice was so annoying. I used to get the Dandy, my brother would get the Beano.

" I chuckled once at a Beano" is such a perfect description of anyone's relationship with those comics.

Just want to ask a question: how many of you folks the fans of manga also a fan of American-style comic like X-Men and stuff?

Generally the style of those two clash rather severely so it would be interesting if a person can actually like them both at the same value.

I was heavy into Asterix and Bone when I was younger, some Tintin, Titeuf, Lucky Luke etc. but never really got into Marvel or DC stuff until last year thanks to ComiXology. I also started reading Chew which is pretty hilarious.

scy

Silver Spoon 71 - So many good panels. Looks like another papa Hachiken encounter to be coming up. Lets bring Mikage along for this one!

bigkrev

I'm a huge Marvel MAX fan, especially the Punisher stuff by Garth Ennis. It should be a crime that there isn't a currently running Punisher book under any of the Marvel imprints. Nick Fury Max is pretty entertaining, and the Wolverine Max book was far more interesting than it had any right to be. When you are allowed to take things outside of the Marvel universe and all the baggage it holds, you can tell some interesting stories.

I guess that's why it's funny that I love the X-men books, which are so filled with historical baggage its staggering. There are so many books, so many old stories still relavent, and so many damn characters that I don't have any idea how someone could jump in. The current rotation of books is good though- Uncanny X-men telling a serious story, Wolverine and the X-men having a more slapstick approach, All-New X-men fusing the 2 ideas together with a very unique cast, and X-force and X-factor just doing their own thing.

I tried jumping into DC when they did New 52, but ended up dropping it. I just can't get excited for DC's roster of heros.

upandaway

Magi

Kouha's really amazing. He's such a crazy little guy! His conversation with the djinn was pretty interesting too.

Also some of you guys have to give reading the manga a break, there's no need to force it down.

Minamoto

I'm sensing strong flashbacks to Cousin. Hopefully if similar licking action starts, I'll be ready. Last time I sorta broke when that happened.

retcon
Shokugeki no Soma

Couldn't stop laughing after the duck man. And that cliffhanger. Seems like this might end in a tie.

Tadokoro is still the best thing.

JJBA-Stone ocean

Jotaro!!! Holy crap he looks younger.

Jolyne is a good JoJo, she reminds me of a nicer Joseph.

So, an assassin in the prison? Everything was a set-up? my god.

Shokugeki no Soma 17
tumblr_mkxzw8pDDf1qbxqfpo1_500.png

This whole first competition of sorts in this arc is off to an excellent start. Takumi is really awesome and the whole scene with the food preparation, looked like so much fun. So glad Inui was surprised and pleased and decided to give in to their desire to have their dishes be judged. Soma or Takumi, I cant wait. Easily, Takumi is tied with Souma and Isshiki as my favorite characters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Shokugeki no Soma

Duck Man is actually Luciano Pavarotti, one of the world's most renowned operatic tenors. The writer researched for his over-the-top food-gasms.

Apparently, Volume 1 is selling really well. That's good.

The Day Before Summer - 01-02

9hfKaqK.jpg

"Older Female, Younger Male" is one of my weaknesses, so I ta least had to check it out. Really liking it thus far. Tetsuo is a likeable prude and Akira is really cute.

EDIT: ...well damn, that was fast!

Monday! More like manwhaday

Tower of God 138-139

I loved the pace and the reveal in 139. Very well done. Viole finally meets Androssi again. This should be fun.

Come on out Noblesse. I want to see Rai go all out and destroy fools.

It´s funny that i´m still at chapter 8 of 7 seeds. I need to catch up.

I literally know nothing about Toriko and it's not universally praised from what I remember here. Why did Jump push Toriko so hard again?

BatDan

Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro previously had a successful series in Jump, it was cancelled due to his arrest. Jump likes to push new works by pre-established authors to boost sales.

Wiseblade

Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro previously had a successful series in Jump, it was cancelled due to his arrest. Jump likes to push new works by pre-established authors to boost sales.

Wow, really?

Wikipedia said:
In 2002, he was arrested and convicted of violating child prostitution laws, including paying a 16-year-old girl ¥80,000 to have sex. As a result of the arrest, Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi! was cancelled by Weekly Shōnen Jump.

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Kusagari

I literally know nothing about Toriko and it's not universally praised from what I remember here. Why did Jump push Toriko so hard again?

Toriko places extremely high in the rankings and the anime, as far as I know, does extremely well. It just hasn't translated into gangbusters when it comes to volume sales for some reason.

And they're pushing it because they need a battle shonen to replace the Big 3, and HxH since lol Togashi, and Toriko is the best option they've got.

BatDan

Wow, really?

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Fun fact: Takeshi and One Piece started one issue apart. Meaning Oda and Shimabukuro started their Jump careers at the same time.

As for why nobody talks about Takeshi, it was a gag manga with ugly art.

SJ wanted it to be the next one piece sales wise, so they made 2 crossover manga and 2 anime episodes between one piece and Toriko, and SJ also advertised it on the expense of Bleach even though it does not sell as much, but it failed to get traction. Hell, the anime only boosted it a 100k in sales which is very low considering the push that it got.

Toriko starts slow IMO and doesn't really get good until the Century Soup arc (Regal Mammoth is decent). It's weird concept is really what hurts it from taking off, not a very easy sell even to manga fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom