• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korosenai

One Piece

Robin-Chwaaaaaan

CP-0 showing is pretty cool, wonder how strong they are.

It also seems we will get to fully see Bartalmeo next week since hes in B-block, and B-block is next. Im sure he will win since it seems like he just took out a vice-admiral with ease.

Ephemeris

Naruto

I enjoy reading the negative reactions to the chapter. I see where most of you are coming from, but I just can't relate. Dat Sauce. Dat Oro. Hype on a hundred thousand.

ZnMTPRF.gif

one piece

So unfocused :(. Every time the crew separates we get this kind of chapter. Where the hell CP0 came from? At least it´s new news, it also means that there are CP1-8, which we might never get info on. I like Fujitora. But why was he not present at Marineford during the war since he is an admiral material and every significant marine was there? I hope next chapter will be more focused on one thing at a time instead being all over the place. But i know that won´t happen :(

Naruto

I called Kishi pulling the Sasuke face turn a long time ago but of course he does it when it makes the least amount of sense, like always (e.g. ridiculous time to try Naruto/Hinata development at the very end when it screams asspull). LOL.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Naruto

Now in regards to Sasuke's flop, let's be clear: this didn't JUST happen. He was pretty Kill-Crazy until he met up with Edo-Itachi. Through all those interactions, the Kabuto fight, and the aftermath, he started to soften. Really, he got most of the way there through all of that. Hashirama's story didn't totally flop him, it just gave him the final push. Full-on evil Sasuke never woulda summoned those guys to try and hear their side of any story in the first place. I think he was most of the way to that decision already.

I still think it's a little silly, but the issue I have goes all the way back to the Kage Summit, where he became pure evil pretty much out of nowhere, actually murdering dudes when under Orochimaru he had always held back before killing blows. They almost made it seem like the Susanoo chakra was actually making him evil. This shit in the latest chapter is much more reasonable than that.

Karin though, what a load. She was really emotionally hurt about that "lol gonna kill you" shit, but hey whatever sasuke's a babe all is forgiven. Seemed like she was gonna become a real character for a while there, but nope, solidly placed right back in the comic relief role.

I really have no problem with having so much things going on in one chapter. I do prefer it rather than having a chapter with very little content and can be read in just a few seconds.

I love chapter like this , reads so good in Vol format that is if Oda can tie everything together without it being a clusterfuck .

one piece

So unfocused :(. Every time the crew separates we get this kind of chapter. Where the hell CP0 came from? At least it´s new news, it also means that there are CP1-8, which we might never get info on. I like Fujitora. But why was he not present at Marineford during the war since he is an admiral material and every significant marine was there? I hope next chapter will be more focused on one thing at a time instead being all over the place. But i know that won´t happen :(

We knew about CP1 to 8 they normally gather intelligence but they to arrest pirates if they see them.
For eg during the water 7 we saw other members of the CP groups on the train .
Still CP0 new and come out of now where which why i think it stupid .

one piece

1. We already knew there were other Cipher Pols when CP9 was introduced. They're stationed around the world

2. He probably wasn't present because he wasn't with the marines. Looks more like a dude who was pulled out of retirement than someone who was promoted.

3. Would you rather the arc only be about Luffy? Or maybe be many times longer, chapter wise, by focusing on only 1 thing at a time? The point is that these events are happening simultaneously and they'll probably converge at some point. Dedicating a full chapter to each would also require fleshing out unimportant details for the sake of cohesion.

For instance, where Sanji and that woman are. If the entire chapter was focused on them it would just be them talking and Sanji taking out potential assassins. Instead we just see a glimpse and can infer that's what's been going on without having time wasted on the details

Shouta

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53396883]You do realize that Orochimaru has no motivation here either way, right? He has only ever had 3 goals. Revenge against the third, maintaining homeostasis, and research. He completed the first two, and following these guys is the best opportunity for the 3rd.

People that think Oro was the best villain in Naruto also need to recognize that he was driven purely by pettiness and that he is ostensibly a scientist once that's gone.

People might have mistaken his flippant attitude as mystery early on, but it's really a result of his scientific objectivity.[/QUOTE]

Yep, more or less. Orochimaru wasn't exactly someone out for a lot of grand things. He did grand stuff to get it but his motives have always been weak or petty at best. That's what made him an interesting villain. Plus, it allows him to float around and be whatever he wants to be without being set into the good/bad dynamic that is often seen in these mangas.

As for Sasuke Face turn, well, I kind of expected it. I think it lacks a bit of the exposition to make it work though.

Akito

one piece

We knew about CP1-8. There 8 official Cipher Pols with the 9th being unofficial and not known to the public. The secret secret CP0 is new.

Fujitora was likely an former admiral who got reactivated to help out after the war (i.e. Kuzan's departure, Sakazuki's promotion to Fleet Admiral, Garp and Sengoku were also stepping back).

Wynnebeck

Banned
One Piece

Holy shit, Zatoichi is an Admiral? Shit is about to get hype!

Naruto

WHAT THE FUCK. WHAT THE FUCK. WHAT THE FUCK.

Bleach

Isshin wants some Quincy booty.

mackaveli

Bleach

At the end of the chapter is it Urahara who asks Masaki if she is okay or is that Masaki's friend?

I cuoldn't tell from the panel.

Thanks guys.

I sorta think he was a retired Admiral they brought back to fill the role.

He probably wasn't present because he wasn't with the marines. Looks more like a dude who was pulled out of retirement than someone who was promoted.

Fujitora was likely an former admiral who got reactivated to help out after the war (i.e. Kuzan's departure, Sakazuki's promotion to Fleet Admiral, Garp and Sengoku were also stepping back).

I don't think that the case i don't expect to see every strong person the marines have at the war .
They do have other places\bases that would need people to stay back at among other things .
Then again i could be wrong but they had a lot strong guys there already .

GG-Duo

This looks like way too much stuff for one chapter :/

Yeah just read the chapter, it feels like there's so many plotlines going on...

1. luffy
2. zoro
3. sanji
4. kanjuro
6. Law's group
7. Chopper's group

That's without counting Franky's investigation, and the two foreshadowing threads about the marines and the colosseum.

Food in Toriko always look so good and tasty.

Unless it's the apples with the human faces on them, which become tasty when scared/farted upon.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yep, more or less. Orochimaru wasn't exactly someone out for a lot of grand things. He did grand stuff to get it but his motives have always been weak or petty at best. That's what made him an interesting villain. Plus, it allows him to float around and be whatever he wants to be without being set into the good/bad dynamic that is often seen in these mangas.

As for Sasuke Face turn, well, I kind of expected it. I think it lacks a bit of the exposition to make it work though.

I'm not sure I'm following the last sentence. What do you mean?

I love chapter like this , reads so good in Vol format that is if Oda can tie everything together without it being a clusterfuck .

We knew about CP1 to 8 they normally gather intelligence but they to arrest pirates if they see them.
For eg during the water 7 we saw other members of the CP groups on the train .
Still CP0 new and come out of now where which why i think it stupid .
I totally forgot about CP1-8 was mentioned.
1. We already knew there were other Cipher Pols when CP9 was introduced. They're stationed around the world
I totally forgot about CP1-8 was mentioned.
2. He probably wasn't present because he wasn't with the marines. Looks more like a dude who was pulled out of retirement than someone who was promoted.
Possible.
3. Would you rather the arc only be about Luffy? Or maybe be many times longer, chapter wise, by focusing on only 1 thing at a time? The point is that these events are happening simultaneously and they'll probably converge at some point. Dedicating a full chapter to each would also require fleshing out unimportant details for the sake of cohesion.
I would rather have the chapters focus on one event at a time, instead being this unfocused. I´m certain if the chapter only focused on Luffy (including the intro of the admiral) and Law, it would have been better, instead of trying to squeeze everyone without getting any result.
For instance, where Sanji and that woman are. If the entire chapter was focused on them it would just be them talking and Sanji taking out potential assassins. Instead we just see a glimpse and can infer that's what's been going on without having time wasted on the details
Why do you look at it that way? If the chapter focused on Luffy and Law, it would have been better to know what´s going on in the Colosseum, and see what´s the deal with the bridge, the fish and the other side of that bridge. Seriously what did Sanji, and Zorro´s pages serve besides make the chapter so unfocused?
We knew about CP1-8. There 8 official Cipher Pols with the 9th being unofficial and not known to the public. The secret secret CP0 is new.
I forgot about that.
That´s possible.
Maybe he wasn't in the Marine yet. We know nothing about him so...
It´s very unlikely that he was not a marine. It´s more likely that he was retired.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
ONE PIECE

Set up, set up, set up and more set up of the best kind.

Keep moving those chess pieces, Oda. So many characters I'm interested in, I can't even keep count. I feel like at the end of this arc, I'm going to look back at one of the better rides going forward. No wonder everything else feels like snails pacing on the week to week, OP just plows forward. Loved the Capman setup, only to see him beasted and bloodied. Really well paced, I thought.

Ok, it can be next week now.

GG-Duo

ONE PIECE

Set up, set up, set up and more set up of the best kind.

Keep moving those chess pieces, Oda. So many characters I'm interested in, I can't even keep count. I feel like at the end of this arc, I'm going to look back at one of the better rides going forward. No wonder everything else feels like snails pacing on the week to week, OP just plows forward. Loved the Capman setup, only to see him beasted and bloodied. Really well paced, I thought.

Ok, it can be next week now.

I agree about the Capman thing. It's a twist on how Oda usually introduce powerful characters!

I think most of us forgot that Orochimaru wasn't Voldermort. What he wanted was to live forever and gain every jutsu ever, not to rule over everything. It kinda makes sense if he decides to help them destroy Madara.

What I find most amusing though wasn't Sasuke's hackneyed redemption, but people expecting the opposite to happen.

Also I found out I missed a discussion on Hunter X Hunter's arc. I just reread volume 30 and although the York Shin arc is amazing, the Chimera arc has a better ending.

Naruto

Sasuke is finally talking some sense. HYPE!

Do Madara and Tobi really have a chance against the 9 kages, naruto, sasuke and basically everyone else?

Karin is the Rihanna in the Naruto world.

I still want my naruto vs sasuke Kishi.

animation-3.gif

Is it just me, or there are more named Vice-Admirals than any other Marine position out there?

Nope it's true , with how strong the SH are now i expect it to stay that way unless the marine special but don't have Vice Admiral rank.
After Vice Admirals it's captains for the most named people .

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't get the haters. Naruto chapter was fantastic.

Its easier to post an angry reaction gif or a textual equivalent just generically complaining. I don't think anyone actually reading Naruto actually believed Sasuke was going to just be evil and get killed by Naruto. He makes stupid decisions but he's always been a gray character from the beginning.

I think most of us forgot that Orochimaru wasn't Voldermort. What he wanted was to live forever and gain every jutsu ever, not to rule over everything. It kinda makes sense if he decides to help them destroy Madara.

What I find most amusing though wasn't Sasuke's hackneyed redemption, but people expecting the opposite to happen.

Also I found out I missed a discussion on Hunter X Hunter's arc. I just reread volume 30 and although the York Shin arc is amazing, the Chimera arc has a better ending.

I don't think people really expected the opposite, but a stronger reaction.

Angry Grimace

You know, I seem to remember from early One Piece that the female characters didn't have weird Code Geass noodle people anatomy. When did that become a thing?

Shouta

I'm not sure I'm following the last sentence. What do you mean?

We haven't really gotten into Sasuke's head and seen where his mind changed on the whole matter. We've gotten enough to figure out that he was shaken up by his encounter with his brother but didn't he turn stupid evil and kill people at the Kage Summit afterwards? Why is he looking for answers to his brother when he vowed to blow daz village up, etc. I think the exact flow of his motivation changes aren't very clear.

Stulaw

Bride of Enma 1-6[End]
I went in expecting nothing, still ended up disappointed.

Naruto
I really liked this chapter, got me hyped.

Bleach
Meh, I mean, it'll probably be better to read the chapters in a volume, maybe it'll feel like it's going somewhere then.

One Piece
I'm going to leave this for a few months and then read it in bulk, maybe then it'll be easier to keep up with the story.

scy

Akame ga Kill 35 - Well, one dead.

I guess to balance the scales, time for Rabac to die.

gg bro, you're a sacrifice for the harem

Erigu

Naruto

Now in regards to Sasuke's flop, let's be clear: this didn't JUST happen. He was pretty Kill-Crazy until he met up with Edo-Itachi. Through all those interactions, the Kabuto fight, and the aftermath, he started to soften. Really, he got most of the way there through all of that. Hashirama's story didn't totally flop him, it just gave him the final push.
Still, it's hilarious how Naruto had absolutely nothing to do with any of it. Well played, Kishimoto. Well played.

the issue I have goes all the way back to the Kage Summit, where he became pure evil pretty much out of nowhere, actually murdering dudes when under Orochimaru he had always held back before killing blows. They almost made it seem like the Susanoo chakra was actually making him evil.
Yep, it really seemed like Kishimoto was going out of his way to not have him actually kill anybody, and all of a sudden, never mind, he kills samurai left and right. Oh.
I was expecting some kind of shitty excuse having to do with the dark chakra Karin felt inside him at that point (and that she also felt a bit later inside Naruto, but as said above, I guess that probably won't matter after all), but I guess we're past that, now... Heh.

Karin though, what a load. She was really emotionally hurt about that "lol gonna kill you" shit, but hey whatever sasuke's a babe all is forgiven. Seemed like she was gonna become a real character for a while there, but nope, solidly placed right back in the comic relief role.
Absolutely.

Its easier to post an angry reaction gif or a textual equivalent just generically complaining.
No legitimate criticism at all, huh?

Steroyd

Its easier to post an angry reaction gif or a textual equivalent just generically complaining. I don't think anyone actually reading Naruto actually believed Sasuke was going to just be evil and get killed by Naruto. He makes stupid decisions but he's always been a gray character from the beginning.

Much like the Obito reveal the ship sailed long ago after Sasuske killed Itachi and Danzo, where the inevitable turned into a hard bs pill to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom