• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinky

You know, I seem to remember from early One Piece that the female characters didn't have weird Code Geass noodle people anatomy. When did that become a thing?

I remember it being worse before.

I'm more annoyed by those weird necks (or lack of necks, their upper body just sort of just becomes their head) the massive guys have. It always looks ridiculous.

PK Gaming

Bleach

11dsyRD.png

...can't we just have The Adventures of Isshin and Masaki instead?

I would love if this happened

If Kubo could keep both of them relevant, then i'd actually prefer it to Bleach

Masaki owns

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We haven't really gotten into Sasuke's head and seen where his mind changed on the whole matter. We've gotten enough to figure out that he was shaken up by his encounter with his brother but didn't he turn stupid evil and kill people at the Kage Summit afterwards? Why is he looking for answers to his brother when he vowed to blow daz village up, etc. I think the exact flow of his motivation changes aren't very clear.

You mean why Hashirama's story changed his mind? Sasuke's entire character revolves around how he perceives that Itachi was mistreated and to me there's a pretty clear parallel between Hashirama's story and Itachi's, particularly given the whole "lesson" he learned at the end that he had to kill people he loved because the village as a whole and what it stood for was more important than his personal bonds.

Bleach 533

Aizen is a shipper for Isshin x Masaki!

Saw Byakuya making a small cameo, kinda forgot that since Aizen and co. were captains already that he should be one as well at this point in time.

Bleach

Now we see the spark that starts it all between Masaki and Isshin and its all because she told her secret to a decent person

The tango between Aizen and Urahara continues LOL.

One Piece

So many scenarios and i'm digging it since they all look prime enough to converge in one place soon enough.

As expected dude is the Admiral and a surprise (though expected when you really think about it) CP-0 crew that's apparently broken as shit.

Loving how the mustache thing is a team effort and not something dumb Luffy's team thought of since Law is rocking one like a boss. Plus due to the new world it looks like everyone are initial Beasts now to show up the new territory.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bleach 533

Aizen is a shipper for Isshin x Masaki!

Saw Byakuya making a small cameo, kinda forgot that since Aizen and co. were captains already that he should be one as well at this point in time.

At this point I assume there's gotta be some kind of "everyone got their memory erased" for nobody to have ever noticed Isshin.

JCG

Honestly, I've never been bothered by the character designs in One Piece, just like I didn't mind the CLAMP designs in Code Geass and such. It's characteristic of the art styles involved. They're all unrealistic, yes, but I guess that's never been a concern for me in both anime and manga.

Shouta

You mean why Hashirama's story changed his mind? Sasuke's entire character revolves around how he perceives that Itachi was mistreated and to me there's a pretty clear parallel between Hashirama's story and Itachi's, particularly given the whole "lesson" he learned at the end that he had to kill people he loved because the village as a whole and what it stood for was more important than his personal bonds.

Yes, partially that but I think we're lacking a bit of clarity on Sasuke's thought processes. I recall Itachi stating that he did it for the benefit of the village and not just because he was ordered. Itachi knew his clan was going to ruin everything that they worked for initially. So why would he go evil from that and then go good guy from hearing Hashirama's story? That's kind of the big question to me. What's changed in the time from hearing Itachi's story to hearing Hashirama's? Why is the reaction so different? Etc.

Maybe it'll be explained in the upcoming chapters though.

Angry Grimace

Yes, partially that but I think we're lacking a bit of clarity on Sasuke's thought processes. I recall Itachi stating that he did it for the benefit of the village and not just because he was ordered. Itachi knew his clan was going to ruin everything that they worked for initially. So why would he go evil from that and then go good guy from hearing Hashirama's story? That's kind of the big question to me. What's changed in the time from hearing Itachi's story to hearing Hashirama's? Why is the reaction so different? Etc.

Maybe it'll be explained in the upcoming chapters though.

The impression I got was that Sasuke had very little concept of how the village itself meant anything particularly important (to Itachi or anyone else) because all Sasuke really gave a shit about was his clan. I think the idea here is that Sasuke wasn't in a position to understand Itachi's motivation in that regard until Hashirama went through his own story; Sasuke didn't seem to have any frame of reference to how the village was actually important to allowing people to live peaceful lives if they chose to do so.

The best character designs and personalities was still Skypeia.

Nah, Shabody! We had like nearly 10 new characters (I forget the number of Supernovas) introduced in a SINGLE chapter that all had awesome designs, personalities and abilities.

edit: Lol, n/m. I thought this was in general, not just about the Strawhats

Stinky

Really only the ruffly feathers pre-time skip seem different. Very interesting . .

The hats is different as well though, they are only shaped the same. I'm inclined to believe this guy was supposed to be "generic shadowy government dude" and CP0 are a completely new thing.

rouken

the hat is what gives it away, it's kinda unique for it to be on two people in the marines. kinda same ear too. also why hide the face if its an already known character?

i'm hoping that if it turns out that it's really him, then the CP-0's mission on the island is to capture moria. :)

I hope Toriko chapter is on the way.

Not the same person. Look closely at the clothes.

Clothes don't mean jack squat though especially if this is before the timeskip (after the skip everyone was rolling new/tweaked beats.

I'm more interested in what Dom said to him about being a big shot Government guy and CP teams report to the Government.

Plus he's "stationed" right at their headquarters which could mean he's decent enough strength wise.

As said before very interesting and we'll see what happens since Oda just allowed a character to beast and got worfed in the same chapter LOL.

Really only the ruffly feathers pre-time skip seem different. Very interesting . .
His whole attire is different. Look at his sleeve.
the hat is what gives it away, it's kinda unique for it to be on two people in the marines. kinda same ear too. also why hide the face if its an already known character?

i'm hoping that if it turns out that it's really him, then the CP-0's mission on the island is to capture moria. :)

Same hat =/= same person. He looks generic shadowy government figure.

Stinky

I thought Cipher Pol were supposed by like a shadowy underdog spy ... thing. Why are they walking around in broad daylight?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I thought Cipher Pol were supposed by like a shadowy underdog spy ... thing. Why are they walking around in broad daylight?

Well they did the same thing in Water 7. Masks bro, you can do anything if you've got a mask on.

Though it's interesting how Oda's expanded the mask thing here, they were just Water 7 fashion originally, wonder why CP's are wearing them here too.

Naruto 627
tumblr_ml1zvdClR81r5udsyo7_250.png

Definitely the best pre break chapter to have around. Suigetsu had the most hilarious moments all throughout and was laughing so much when he tried to run away and was all scared. Glad he's sticking around though. Sasuke though was the main attraction and that was exceptionally well done how he finally fully embraced his good side and will do hopefully things to win him back on the good side of everyone, his peers and even Naruto himself. Their meeting will definitely be the best part of this arc I bet. Havent felt this happy at the end of a Naruto chapter since, well the Hashirama and Madara flashback kid/teen stuff back then.

The Yellow Flash of Konoha, Minato, fighting alongside Naruto, as well as maybe Saturobi-sensei fighting beside Lord Orochimaru, and a few of the other potentially pairs fighting side by side or even just interacting, Naruto will have a really bright 2013 once all these things come to pass.

Conan-san

Animal Land Vol 7

nWrvW1C.jpg

So, apparently Taro has the ability to
Control Animals en Masse with a great deal of stress on his body and Mind.
Pretty cool.
I just love how everything's building on top of each other too. Capri and Remu are great side characters, Momoko's character progressed some and I just want the next volume already as it looks like we're heading into the next big time-skip judging from the preview cover and I really want to learn more about the backstory.

ffdgh

Ooo seems like another enis lobby in the making for one piece. I know it's wrong but I chuckled when Robin shushed Usopp before he could finish her name, and that blind guy's identy......didn't see that coming at all. :eek:

Kurita

Ooo seems like another enis lobby in the making for one piece. I know it's wrong but I chuckled when Robin shushed Usopp before he could finish her name, and that blind guy's identy......didn't see that coming at all. :eek:

I thought everybody and their mother predicted it :lol

rouken

I think the CP9 are only the ones who are supposed to be secret because they do missions which are contradictory to the whole justice system of the marines. The other ones are all patrolling parts of the grandline. I guess CP0 are stationed on Mariejois if they are the known strongest of them all.

Bleach 533

Reading this after Naruto made Bleach feel a bit dull. I guess the events were alright but now its just in standard typical skip text bubbles to get out of the flashback mode. Aizen could have had more time, Uruhara showing up was nice, and Isshin's expressions were hilarious.

Baffling that he is strong enough to endure the self destruction of this powerful foe that could have killed him....but was still not strong enough to use his own bankai.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Also, for the record:

ci·pher also cy·pher (sfr)
n.
1. The mathematical symbol (0) denoting absence of quantity; zero.
2. An Arabic numeral or figure; a number.
3. One having no influence or value; a nonentity.
a. A cryptographic system in which units of plain text of regular length, usually letters, are arbitrarily transposed or substituted according to a predetermined code.
b. The key to such a system.
c. A message written or transmitted in such a system.
5. A design combining or interweaving letters or initials; a monogram.
v. ci·phered also cy·phered, ci·pher·ing also cy·pher·ing, ci·phers also cy·phers
v.intr.
To solve problems in arithmetic; calculate. See Synonyms at calculate.
v.tr.
1. To put in secret writing; encode.
2. To solve by means of arithmetic.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I think the CP9 are only the ones who are supposed to be secret because they do missions which are contradictory to the whole justice system of the marines. The other ones are all patrolling parts of the grandline. I guess CP0 are stationed on Mariejois if they are the known strongest of them all.

Good god, I need a reread on background stuff like this. So many things forgotten over the years.

IHaveIce

Banned
Well they did the same thing in Water 7. Masks bro, you can do anything if you've got a mask on.

Though it's interesting how Oda's expanded the mask thing here, they were just Water 7 fashion originally, wonder why CP's are wearing them here too.

Good catch. Wonder if it will be explained after all

Zeroth

That comic is shockingly accurate (just reached future arc), lol. I don't think it's terrible per say, but not good either. Too be honest I just want some semblance of closure in regards to story and that's my driving force for finishing the series.

My best tip is: Pretend the series end where the anime ended. That's the best closure you'll get out of the the series.

Fox318

Naruto 627
tumblr_ml1zvdClR81r5udsyo7_250.png

Definitely the best pre break chapter to have around. Suigetsu had the most hilarious moments all throughout and was laughing so much when he tried to run away and was all scared. Glad he's sticking around though. Sasuke though was the main attraction and that was exceptionally well done how he finally fully embraced his good side and will do hopefully things to win him back on the good side of everyone, his peers and even Naruto himself. Their meeting will definitely be the best part of this arc I bet. Havent felt this happy at the end of a Naruto chapter since, well the Hashirama and Madara flashback kid/teen stuff back then.

The Yellow Flash of Konoha, Minato, fighting alongside Naruto, as well as maybe Saturobi-sensei fighting beside Lord Orochimaru, and a few of the other potentially pairs fighting side by side or even just interacting, Naruto will have a really bright 2013 once all these things come to pass.

Preach it brother

Big One

Banned
Naruto C

Decent chapter, finally Sasuke actually develops as a character and makes legitimate sense. Happy ending Naruto will be good stuff.

Bleach D

Mediocre as shit. Kubo worked really hard to have me not care about Masaki or Isshin's relationship.

One Piece B

Good stuff happening here, all the new characters here look awesome and has me hyped for this arc. It seems it won't be any normal tournament style arc.

One Piece 705

Sometimes I wonder why Oda wont pursue writing a novel. The word to image ratio had to have been heavily favoring words this time as some panels, images could be barely even be seen. I think the chapter would have flowed a bit better if events had natural transitions or just focused on one or two events. Changing from locale to locale just felt awkward and is only suited well to anime. I can only imagine that like Marinford and Punk Hazard, that the anime will make this way easier to follow and understand.

CP-0 stuff is actually a bit compelling and the most interesting of the mix, though atrocious designs as usual. Zoro was most memorable. Kind of pointless to show characters bounties if they are as low as 67mln, was wiped out easily.

Big One

Banned
One Piece 705

Sometimes I wonder why Oda wont pursue writing a novel. The word to image ration had to have been heavily favoring words this time as some panels images could be barely even seen. I think the chapter would have flowed a bit better if events had natural transitions or just focused on one or two events. Changing from locale to locale just felt awkard and is only suited well to anime. I can only imagine that like Marinford and Punk Hazard, that the anime will make this way easier to follow and understand.

CP-0 stuff is actually a bit compelling and the most interesting of the mix, though atrocious designs as usual. Zoro was most memorable. Kind of pointless to show characters bounties if they are as low as 67mln, was wiped out easily.
That's called writing comics. I'd hate how you'd react to pretty much any American comic.

NARUTO 627

The whole cheese factor of this arc is really getting to me. Everyone being revived to resolve many loose plot holes is kind of campy, and I hope Kishimoto can actually resolve it well.
So much fan service with the battles now involving the Hokages though..

BLEACH 533

No backgrounds.
Weird hollow.
Pew pew pew

upandaway

Still waiting for the good One Piece translation.
I swear it's like it takes more and more time every week. It's 1 hour later than last week.

Why.

ONE PIECE

Haha @ Capman. Oh wow. I love this.

How can you even be considered a rookie when you put a Vice Admiral in the garbage heap? :lol the Supernovas definitely couldn't do this before the skip. This guy's crazy!

It seems like Fujitora is planning on ambushing the tournament because it's such a gathering of famous pirates. One more sign that the tournament probably isn't gonna finish in peace. Also CP0 WHAT. WHAT!

Does anyone know what Fujitora's kanji on his back say?

Oh hey, found Pandaman.

Akito

Top 50 Oricon Comic Rankings
http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/actus/2013/04/11/Top-50-Oricon-du-1-au-7-avril

01 Naruto #64 648 836/648 836
02 To Love Darkness #07 204 007/204 007
03 Shin Tennis no Ôjisama #10 150 333/150 333
04 Kuroshitsu #16 126 286/448 423
05 Kingdom #30 117 347/117 347
06 Sket Dance #30 110 263/110 263
07 Berserk #37 99 681/246 090
08 Moyashimon #12 91 266/91 266
09 Medaka Box #20 80 840/80 840
10 One Punch-man #03 74 251/74 251
11 Moyashimon #12 (Édition Limitée) 73 679/73 679
12 Shokugeki no Sôma #01 71 367/71 367
13 Tonari no Seki-kun #04 68 998/68 998
14 Library Wars - Love & War #11 56 502/56 502
15 Ôkami Heika no Hanayome #08 55 815/55 815

16 One Piece #69 52,671 / 2,802,957
17 Sakamoto Desuga? #01 36,874 / 392,916
18 Lovely Love Lie (Kanojo ha Uso wo Aishisugiteru) #11 36,534 / 124,269
19 Kobayashi ga Kawaisugite Tsuraii!! #02 36,305 / 137,067
20 Kurogane #08 (End) 32,774 / 32,774
21 Kochi Kame #185 32,089 / 32,089
22 Kagerô Days #02 31,826 / 98,944
23 Sengoku Itôki #03 28,95 / 28,95
24 Gantz #36 26,11 / 231,983
25 Ansatsu Kyôshitsu #03 26,082 / 561,831
26 Psychometrer #08 25,699 / 25,699
27 Blood Lad #08 23,373 / 23,373
28 Aozora Yell #12 22,441 / 89,097
29 Principal #06 21,98 / 87,63
30 Billy Bat #11 21,928 / 149,928
31 Barakamon #07 20,745 / 159,152
32 Skip Beat #32 20,518 / 279,929
33 Drifters #03 19,891 / 340,821
34 Nameko de Wakaru Meisaku Bungaku #02 19,859 / 29,026
35 Kaze Densetsu Bukkomi no Taku (Nouvelle Edition) #26 19,688 / 19,688
36 Pokemon Special #44 19,525 / 49,522
37 Mix #02 19,348 / 345,12
38 Les Petites fraises (Ichigo Mashimaro) #07 18,935 / 80,69
39 Sekirei #14 18,655 / 105,63
40 Nana Maru San Batsu -7O3X- #05 18,571 / 18,571
41 Yondemasu yo, Azazeru-san #09 18,038 / 94,5
42 Chihayafuru #20 17,915 / 368,683
43 Ansatsu Kyôshitsu #01 17,654 / 770,618
44 Ansatsu Kyôshitsu #02 17,458 / 666,475
45 Yotsuba to! #12 17,418 / 634,141
46 Magi #16 17,216 / 479,381
47 Inazuma Eleven Go Anthologie! 16,199 / 16,199
48 Uchi no Pochi no Iu Koto ni ha #06 15,869 / 15,869
49 Dream Team (Ahiru no Sora) #37 15,458 / 282,176
50 Last Inning #37 15,433 / 30,915

Those are great numbers for OPM and Shokugeki no Soma. Swagamoto still selling.

Angry Grimace

Also, that 2 page "spread" in Naruto looked like the manga-equivalent of a shitty Linkin Park AMV.

upandaway

Akame ga Kill

So Akame kills a dude easily, and then Rabac gets flagged against 2 of the same level dudes.

If he dies from this, what the hell. I know he's flagged harder than the moon, those are still fodders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom