• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Big Three reactions here are really fun.

Naruto

Regardless of how stupid you may thing the plot has become, it's hard to deny that once everyone shows up at the fight, things are going to get even more ridiculous.

Bleach

More backstory stuff, just waiting for the next reveal/confirmation that everyone saw coming ages ago.

One Piece

Everyone's storylines advance a bit. Oda has like a dozen different ways to take the story each week; I don't know how he manages it.

You mean that Ichigo's dad is Aizen?

Wiseblade

One Piece 705

Oda... and you were doing so well. Having 7 different plot threads moving an inch each chapter isn't as satisfying as focusing on 1-2 at a time and giving them some real progression.

Kusagari

Everything involving Sasuke is just absurd.

I still have no idea why he randomly went from just being a douche into a comic villain making ridiculous faces and stabbing his allies with mad glee.

If he hadn't made that bizarre change his redemption would feel much smoother.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
How a manga read each week don't mean anything to tell the truth .
Most readers read stuff in Vol format anyway .

I think it's half and half, honestly. If it's a weekly series, it should be able to be read weekly and still engage, enthrall and entice. But, if it doesn't, then that's when volume/ marathon style reads can really help the pacing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Everything involving Sasuke is just absurd.

I still have no idea why he randomly went from just being a douche into a comic villain making ridiculous faces and stabbing his allies with mad glee.

If he hadn't made that bizarre change his redemption would feel much smoother.

Ostensibly, because he wanted to get revenge on the Leaf Village for ordering his brother to murder the rest of his clan. Sasuke's apparently super fucking gullible and doesn't investigate anything.

Naruto 627

http://i.imgur.com/dsO7gxlm.jpg[/IG]

1. Stabs Karin with murderous intent.
2. Karin renounces Sasuke.
3. "I'm sorry."
4. She falls head over heels and completely forgives him while acting like an animal without self control.

What an awful character, Kishi really doesn't know how to write women.

In other news, Sasuke becoming good is no surprise, but it was kinda just tacked on real quick like there. Madara must be becoming beyond godly broken soon since the four Hokages are joining the fray.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he will reach his goal as Naruto and Bee will fall to him and Obito (while kakashi sensei and guy die), thus requiring sasuke and etc to save the day.

Kusagari

Ostensibly, because he wanted to get revenge on the Leaf Village for ordering his brother to murder the rest of his clan. Sasuke's apparently super fucking gullible and doesn't investigate anything.

But he didn't go insane after learning the truth. The Killer Bee fight happened after he learned the truth and he actually awakened Amaterasu in that fight to HELP his allies. Then he suddenly goes nuts at the Kage Summit for no reason.

Tripeace end

Yeah, this was a rushed ending. There was no real final boss and only one major conflict arc. At least Nana arrived at a reasonable answer.

Good series. I see the guy hasn't done anything else, but I'll check out his next series if he ever does one.

Angry Grimace

I'm betting that Karin's running a long con. That, or she's written worse than Sakura.

But he didn't go insane after learning the truth. The Killer Bee fight happened after he learned the truth and he actually awakened Amaterasu in that fight to HELP his allies. Then he suddenly goes nuts at the Kage Summit for no reason.

Because Danzo was there, apparently, but a better argument is that his Mangekyo gives him brain problems. See, three chapters ago.

Kreed

Vagabond:

Yeah this. It's not easy for people who doesn't know his history to get this part of him though.

Musashi's also an accomplished artist.

I was trying to word my post carefully so that I didn't give the impression that I just wanted to see more hacking and slashing, but anyway I don't have an issue with the farming, it's the slowness/pacing of it that has gotten dull. But I don't think I'm going to get much of a discussion on this, particularly on Jump Wednesday.

Naruto 627:

I actually haven't been reading Naruto since the 400 chapters, but all this talk about Sasuke switching sides had me curious, so I decided to just read this one to see what happened. I won't comment on the chapter since I have no idea what's been going on outside of the weekly thread comments, but I understand why people are upset, as Sasuke changing his mind without Naruto around, after all Naruto did to change his mind, is a huge let down.

One Piece 705:

Bartolomeo =/= Bartholomew had me confused for a bit. I thought maybe Bartholomew got a new robot body or something until they revealed he was a rookie.

Still way too much going on/characters being tossed into this arc, but at least we got the blind swordsman revealed as the Admiral like most of us guessed (still not getting the theme, unless others are right that he was retired and actually is supposed to be grouped with another set of three). And maybe Franky will get what he needs to know about the secret lab.

Anyone have any idea what's going on in the current One Piece cover stories? I mean besides Caribou traveling all over the place?

Steroyd

Because Danzo was there, apparently, but a better argument is that his Mangekyo gives him brain problems. See, three chapters ago.

If we're blaming the sharingan for brain problems, then we go back to why did Itachi's explanation not sway Sasuske but Harashima's explanation did.

Angry Grimace

If we're blaming the sharingan for brain problems, then we go back to why did Itachi's explanation not sway Sasuske but Harashima's explanation did.

Its not different from what I just told Wiseblade. Itachi intentionally didn't tell him anything and just said "do whatever you want." Let's not forget that Itachi made a shitload of really poor decisions.

Wiseblade

Its not different from what I just told Wiseblade. Itachi intentionally didn't tell him anything and just said "do whatever you want." Let's not forget that Itachi made a shitload of really poor decisions.

But Obito told Sasuke everything, or at least enough. He found out Itachi was quite the cold hearted traitor he assumed and the Village was priority number one. So to honour the memory of his brother... he vows to destroy the village?

Akito

Anyone have any idea what's going on in the current One Piece cover stories? I mean besides Caribou traveling all over the place?
What do you mean, it's his story after all. The latest development suggests that he was stranded on one of Kaidou's islands, maybe the same where X Drake started a fight with of of Kaidou's subordinates because the same subordinate is appearing here. There seems to be a sort of rebellion against Kaidou (?) one the island and the rebel leader is someone named Gaburu, who looks a lot like Caribou.

Angry Grimace

But Obito told Sasuke everything, or at least enough. He found out Itachi was quite the cold hearted traitor he assumed and the Village was priority number one. So to honour the memory of his brother... he vows to destroy the village?

Except being told that Itachi did it for the village doesn't mean he had any conceptual understanding of what the village meant to Itachi. His understanding was that Danzo and the Elders simply instructed him to kill all of his clan because it was his duty.

Naruto

While I'm glad Sasuke FINALLY got his head out of his ass and is going to help, I'm not buying the flash back was the reason that made him change. I would be more stoked for the 4 hokages + Sasuke, Orochimaru and co joining the battle if we hadn't just seen what looked like Naruto and Rock Lee finishing off Medara and Obito.

Bleach

I enjoyed this chapter, Aizen and Urahara make everything better. Flash back is helping to show how a Shinigami and a Quincy could give up everything they've trained for love.

One Piece

Hopefully the next few chapters will focus more on 1-2 plot threads as opposed to this 2-3 pages per group style. I don't mind the occasional "here is where everyone is now" chapters they suck in a week to week format but work well in a bulk reading.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

The thing that's changed from then to now is Sasuke's motivation. His whole life was revenge, trying to kill Itachi. Once he found out the truth, realized what he had done, he probably overcompensated for killing Itachi, and replaced his super-hate with super-love. "It's the village's fault he's dead!" He was obsessed with his brother, the fact that Itachi loved the village enough to sacrifice himself reads to Sasuke as: "the village forced him to do this." He still doesn't know how to do anything other than enact revenge on things at this point, it's been his entire driving force for years, so he points himself at the village.

I mean it's a shitty situation right there, it's hard to admit that you just killed the guy you thought was a villain after you learn he was the hero. Especially when he's your brother, and did everything for your sake. It's hard to take responsibility for what you've done, so something else has to take the blame. With Tobi there manipulating that whole story, Konoha becomes the scapegoat.

Vs Bee, there's no real target there to hate. Once the Kage summit comes around though, and there's a clear target associated with his brother's demise, he finally gives in to his emotional shit, and via the documented "emotions of loss give the Uchiha their brain powers" explanation, he grows a Susanoo, and goes a little crazy in the process. "The curse of the Uchiha."

Edo-Itachi probably eases the pain of "I killed my brother" a bit. It's a little easier to deal with when suddenly he's sorta not dead. Through their conversations, he starts to come to terms with the idea that Konoha wasn't to "blame" for Itachi's actions, but rather that Itachi made that choice for himself. Edo-Hashirama solidifies that notion, that "a ninja" is someone who does anything for the sake of of their dream, does anything to protect what they feel they must protect. He comes to terms with the notion that it was Itachi who made the decision, that Konoha was worth protecting, that it wasn't a matter of blaming someone for what happened to him.

There are some points in all this that seem pretty abrupt and weird, but I think when you go through it all in sequence like this, it makes a little more sense as an overall arc.

Angry Grimace

Itachi sacrificing his clan either because he loved the village or because the village ordered him to could both be filed under "the village made him do it," but they aren't the same thing.

This is taking the point too deep though. The only relevant point from that story was that Itachi, like Hashirama loved the village and what it stood for more than he loved his kinsmen and he wasn't going to let it be destroyed just to appease them.

Mr. Fix

Big 3

Another solid week. Surprising revelation from Sasuke. Also still really loving the intro + caption thing Oda does for characters, as well as having fodder/crowds on the side acknowledge them, Burgess especially. It's the kind of thing that actually makes me give a shit about the side characters.

Also, I was under the impression that Itachi didn't give a shit about the village, but really only more about Sasuke.

Steroyd

Except being told that Itachi did it for the village doesn't mean he had any conceptual understanding of what the village meant to Itachi. His understanding was that Danzo and the Elders simply instructed him to kill all of his clan because it was his duty.

Surely Sasuske would have got the hint of what the village meant to Itachi when he slaughtered every single person in his clan, parents included.

Wiseblade

He knew it was because his dad was planning a coup.

Angry Grimace

He knew it was because his dad was planning a coup.

I'm not following what the argument is here. Elaborate?

Surely Sasuske would have got the hint of what the village meant to Itachi when he slaughtered every single person in his clan, parents included.

Not necessarily. This conclusion requires a lot of inferences. As far as he knew, Itachi did it just for Sasuke himself and not because he valued the village.

Wiseblade

I'm not following what the argument is here. Elaborate?

Not necessarily. This conclusion requires a lot of inferences. As far as he knew, Itachi did it just for Sasuke himself and not because he valued the village.

"My dad was going to start a civil war, so my brother killed him. The village and I meant more to my brother than anything in the world... So I'll honour his memory by destroying the village!"

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
"My dad was going to start a civil war, so my brother killed him. The village and I meant more to my brother than anything in the world... So I'll honour his memory by destroying the village!"

As noted, Sasuke was not interested in honoring any memories back then. He was pissed, and wanted someone to blame. Tobi helped him along.

The CP0 thing kind of made me groan. CP9 gets all that buildup and focus, and then an even stronger group just pops out of nowhere? It feels cheap to me.

MCD

One Piece

New Vice Admiral guy one shotting a rookie. Nice.

Last page

XjCLrQz.png

The CP0 thing kind of made me groan. CP9 gets all that buildup and focus, and then an even stronger group just pops out of nowhere? It feels cheap to me.

I didn't get the impression CP0 was more powerful, it seems like they're more the brains or the information gatherers. Maybe the better translation will clear that up

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You mean the guy who told Sasuke he wasn't to be trusted?

Can't help ya there. Point is, he believed it. Had a little doubt, but managed wash that away via talking to Danzo. Sasuke was "an avenger," it's all he knew how to do. Tobi just pointed him at something else. Took him a long time to learn how to think for himself, and not just want to kill everything he blamed for his shitty life.

MCD

Man, I'm so glad I don't give a shit about any of the big 3... these Wednesdays are fun to watch from a distance.

You are missing out man. We might seem like old bitter cynical jaded folks, but we are all having the fun of our life time every week in here.

So I'm just reread the chapters with the better translation and on my computer (aka not on my phone) and while my opinions on OP and Bleach stay the same my opinion on this weeks Naruto improved quiet a bit

Naruto

Honestly I can see this being the reason Sasuke finally switches now, obviously Karin is still dumb but as Orochimaru says "just go with the flow at this point". I'm still interested in what role Orochimaru is going to play in the end but maybe he truly has had a change of heart like Sasuke. Also the four Kage's about to join the battle is pretty hype, though as I said earlier I thought the battle was almost won so I guess I missed something lol.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ALSO, if there's anyone who'd know how to manipulate an Uchiha, it'd be Madara (through Tobi). They react very fiercely when faced with people who challenge their family and bonds. Hashirama (or was it Tobirama?) was pretty clear on that, that the Uchiha were the ones who really inherited the "love" from the rikudou-sennin, so strongly that when they lose it, they go total psycho. Again, "the curse of the Uchiha." Knowing that, how does one go ahead and get Sasuke to do what you want after he kills his brother? Tell him "the truth" (while conveniently omitting the part where you're the one who summoned the ninetails). There's no way an immature and grief-stricken Uchiha wouldn't snap directly into revenge mode from that story.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You lot buried my nana to kaoru catchup thoughts.

For you, the day you caught up to Nana to Kaoru was the most important day of your life. For us, it was Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom