• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

The problem with Magi and why it needs a shake up to go back on track

I hate the way Magi has gone in the last few months. I think this is no surprise because I've been calling it garbage for a while now. Why is this the case though? What went wrong? I think the fact is that the manga has lost its way and is trying to pander to an audience it doesn't need to, and is hence rapidly losing its unique identity.

Magi is not a typical shounen fight manga. Or at least, it wasn't. It wasn't about characters fighting each other, but rather about journeying together to discover more about the world together. The author created three solid perspectives for this - Aladdin the Magi whose mysterious origins are a window to the nature of this world, Alibaba the begger prince whose life experiences and ambitions form the foundation of a potential world leader who could be a force of good, and Mor the slave warrior of a scattered tribe who seeks to discover her heritage and change the world as the world changed her.

This was all great stuff. But somehow, after tons of build-up and using all 3 characters to expand the scope of the world by going their separate ways, the manga completely drops the ball by abandoning all that in favor for the worst sort of "world event" possible. The laziest and most uninteresting sort. A shounen "war" arc which isn't really a war but rather a few named characters beam spamming everything to show how powerful they are. Not just for 5 chapters, not just for 10 chapters, it just goes on and on.

Characters posing, random explosions, large number of unnamed "soldiers" looking in horror and going "OMG THEY ARE SO STRONG!". This is stupid. It's not why I started reading Magi, and it's not why I continued reading Magi. It's the complete opposite. To make things worse, it completely abandoned the potential for having an actual interesting war arc where 3 characters represent 3 different perspectives, and actually show the progression of a war and valid opinions and strategies, instead of being Hero units just shattering the battlefield.

- We haven't seen Mor in almost 40 chapters. That's about 10 months.

- Alibaba's training and experiences in the Colosseum amount to nothing because he's just some Super Saiyan armored dude now. Plus he had nothing to contribute at all to the Relm perspective, and basically just hopped on the boat to get back into Aladdin's pants.

- All the characters they have introduced along the way serve no purpose other than to be flashy new armored dudes shouting special attacks and creating explosions while posing. It's stupid and boring. There is no story progression either because they're just fighting some intangible force created for the excuse of action. There are no longer any narrative objectives or interesting story elements to look forward to in this arc.

- The manga has completely lost the plot and thrown away all the interesting things about itself in favor of becoming the generic competition which it tried to set itself apart from at the start. Wasteful, tragic, and pathetic honestly.
It is obvious that Magi's quality is proportional to the presence of Mor's thighs. It's only logical.

rouken

One Piece

Oda just keeps chugging new characters left and right. I'm really excited to see who gets to be punched by that fighting king, but i really hope this wouldn't take more than 3 chapters to finish. I want to see lucy fight in the tournament.

One piece

Too many characters, Oda is enter Kubo territories of introducing far too many characters for us to be emotionally invested in. The ending was great and can't wait to see how that plays out over the course of this tourney

I agree that there may be too many characters that wouldn't be important later on, but I'm glad that Oda keeps the tournament interesting by introducing fighters from other islands and now I have no idea who will be the winner of B-Block, at first I thought it would be bartolomeo, or maybe it would be bellamy but now the fishman and the ex gladiator comes into the mix which gives the fight an unpredictable outcome because they all look so strong.

wonzo

Banned

I hate the way Magi has gone in the last few months. I think this is no surprise because I've been calling it garbage for a while now. Why is this the case though? What went wrong? I think the fact is that the manga has lost its way and is trying to pander to an audience it doesn't need to, and is hence rapidly losing its unique identity.

Magi is not a typical shounen fight manga. Or at least, it wasn't. It wasn't about characters fighting each other, but rather about journeying together to discover more about the world together. The author created three solid perspectives for this - Aladdin the Magi whose mysterious origins are a window to the nature of this world, Alibaba the begger prince whose life experiences and ambitions form the foundation of a potential world leader who could be a force of good, and Mor the slave warrior of a scattered tribe who seeks to discover her heritage and change the world as the world changed her.

This was all great stuff. But somehow, after tons of build-up and using all 3 characters to expand the scope of the world by going their separate ways, the manga completely drops the ball by abandoning all that in favor for the worst sort of "world event" possible. The laziest and most uninteresting sort. A shounen "war" arc which isn't really a war but rather a few named characters beam spamming everything to show how powerful they are. Not just for 5 chapters, not just for 10 chapters, it just goes on and on.

Characters posing, random explosions, large number of unnamed "soldiers" looking in horror and going "OMG THEY ARE SO STRONG!". This is stupid. It's not why I started reading Magi, and it's not why I continued reading Magi. It's the complete opposite. To make things worse, it completely abandoned the potential for having an actual interesting war arc where 3 characters represent 3 different perspectives, and actually show the progression of a war and valid opinions and strategies, instead of being Hero units just shattering the battlefield.

- Alibaba's training and experiences in the Colosseum amount to nothing because he's just some Super Saiyan armored dude now. Plus he had nothing to contribute at all to the Relm perspective, and basically just hopped on the boat to get back into Aladdin's pants.

- All the characters they have introduced along the way serve no purpose other than to be flashy new armored dudes shouting special attacks and creating explosions while posing. It's stupid and boring. There is no story progression either because they're just fighting some intangible force created for the excuse of action. There are no longer any narrative objectives or interesting story elements to look forward to in this arc.

- The manga has completely lost the plot and thrown away all the interesting things about itself in favor of becoming the generic competition which it tried to set itself apart from at the start. Wasteful, tragic, and pathetic honestly.
Never before has so much story potential been so thoroughly wasted. I hope the one month break gives Ohtaka to work out just what went wrong so she can quickly end this garbage arc and move onto the next one. (read: bring back fucking mor aaaaaaaaaa)

Oh well, maybe the Sinbad spinoff will turn out to be better than the current arc though that's not a very high bar at all. lol

Darn starting to get unhyped for season 2 :(

I don't think that's what he want anyway. Some of these guys are just powerful/have a gimmick thus need a name to be more recognizable. But at the end of the day they're just guys we'll forget when the tournament is over. It's better than just having a bunch of unnamed characters fighting to death imo.

That's why I felt Oda handled the fighting really good so far. He could be done with the fodder characters in like 2 chapters, but this way he gives you the feeling that there's really something big going on. You don't want a tournament with several hundred people to be done in like 5 chapters.

One Piece 707
I don't know if anyone noticed this or if I am missing something but on page 3 we can see some guys with wolf-like faces. Isn't it a first in OP to have anthropomorphic animals which are non-fruit eaters?
Or am I remembering wrong?

Fodder in OP gets more dignity than either the Captain Commander in Bleach or any kid not part of the main team (naruto, sasuke, shikamaru) in Shippuuden ever did.

If only he was this nice to Robin ... sigh.

LeleSocho

Banned
One Piece 707
I don't know if anyone noticed this or if I am missing something but on page 3 we can see some guys with wolf-like faces. Isn't it a first in OP to have anthropomorphic animals which are non-fruit eaters?
Or am I remembering wrong?

RQp96M0.jpg
gT4zEue.jpg

Last but not the least
Li1Ow3p.gif

survivor

Banned
Jump Double Issue #22/23 TOC *Incomplete*

Jump Issue #24 Information
Lead CP/New Series: Soul Catcher(S) (Author of Light Wing)
Center Colour: Haikyuu!!, Toriko, Kingdom (Bangaihen)

Jump Issue #25 Information
New Series: Mutou Black

Jump Issue #26 Information
New Series: Smoky B.B. (Author/Arist of Hansaka Ikkyuu)

The final chapter of Good Loser Kumagawa will be published in Jump Next!
So what happened to the Ohba and Obata new series?

So when will we know of other series cancellations? I assume that two of the following (Cross manage, Rookie Policewoman, Hungry Joker) will be canceled for the three new series along with Medaka Box which already ended.

So when will we know of other series cancellations? I assume that two of the following (Cross manage, Rookie Policewoman, Hungry Joker) will be canceled for the three new series along with Medaka Box which already ended.

I thought a rumor suggested Rookie Policewoman Kiruko is ending in the next issue (the one immediately following the double issue), and Hungry Joker after that.

Akito

Hungry Joker will end in issue #24 and Kiruko in issue #25. Or so I've heard.

Kusagari

Naruto

I don't even care about the rest of the chapter, Madara's face was hilarious. He's so happy to see his beloved Hashirama back!

Bleach

Whatever.

One Piece

Can't wait to see what Cavendish does now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
One Piece

I tell ya guys, I love all of the named characters. Yeah they won't be around for long, but it just creates the idea of a much denser world, peopled by far more than just Luffy's crew and their direct antagonists. This is one of Oda's strengths, the ability to build a hugely peopled and historical culture every time the Strawhats hit a new island. Here we're just seeing how big a deal this tournament is, and getting a glimpse of what's been going on in the world. If they were all just no-names it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying when we get to the later fights. Everyone actually being "someone" I think grants more gravitas to the battles, rather than just being white noise until the Big Ticket Fights.

Bleach

I am so glad we're getting more insight into how Urahara saved the Vizards, and connecting it with Ichigo's history like this makes it even sweeter.

But here's something. To this day Aizen's "because Uraraha was able to make them into complete Vizards, I knew that wasn't the Hogyoku's true ability" confuses the fuck out of me. Here we see how he managed to stabilize them, but what does any of it have to do with Aizen's theory? He hollofied them and said it was partially an experiment to determine the Hogyoku's true nature. Urahara saved them, made them complete Vizards. It seems like that would've proved the OPPOSITE, no? Or is the idea that the Hogyoku was supposed to break DOWN the barrier between Shinigami and Hollow, like Aizen's transformation, but the Vizards were still tightly compartmentalized? And since they were compartmentalized, not merged, the Hyogyoku didn't do what it was supposed to do? That it fulfilled Urahara's wish to save their lives, because he wished to push BACK the hollowfication, not actually encourage the breaking down of that barrier?

With what we see in this chapter, what DID it do, then? Give Urahara the idea for his Quincy/Human injection? Make that injection actually work? I guess I sorta figured out my issue while typing all this out. The Hyogoku was never supposed to make Vizards, with its promise to break down the barrier between shinigami and hollow, it was supposed to make what Aizen became. The Vizards are a pure Urahara concoction, a stabilization of Aizen's infection.

MarkusRJR

Bleach

I'm liking the flashback so far but god damn that was the longest explanation ever given by Urahara. His explanation was legit the whole chapter. Ugh.

upandaway

One Piece

That ending :lol that lasted long. Seems like they'll keep quiet but at this point there should be at least a couple more people who realized it's Luffy. Hell I'm not even sure if it's a secret now. Cavendish's obsession is a bit creepy.

Liking the fight, and I'm not sure why no one is getting to Cannibal. Is it related to an ability or is he really just chilling? It's crazy.

Theyre not going to be replaced by more awful duds again? Is Jump just going to keep recycling their bottom 3?
Hey there now! Jump's had some really neat new series lately, while ending a lot of past regulars like Nurarihyon, Reborn and now Medaka. You could have said this a couple years ago but it's not true now.

Soul Catchers though lol. Can't trust the Light Wing guy.

One Piece

I tell ya guys, I love all of the named characters. Yeah they won't be around for long, but it just creates the idea of a much denser world, peopled by far more than just Luffy's crew and their direct antagonists. This is one of Oda's strengths, the ability to build a hugely peopled and historical culture every time the Strawhats hit a new island. Here we're just seeing how big a deal this tournament is, and getting a glimpse of what's been going on in the world. If they were all just no-names it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying when we get to the later fights. Everyone actually being "someone" I think grants more gravitas to the battles, rather than just being white noise until the Big Ticket Fights.
I love 'em too! The Fighting King is all sorts of silly, haha, I love that guy. It's clear they're fodder, but escalation isn't the only way shonen can do things. And at least a couple of them will stay relevant for the arc later, maybe later arcs too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto

It seemed to me like the chapter was just there to remind you that Naruto is fighting someone.

Bleach

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this explanation beyond Isshin needs to put on a fake human body. Not sure where putting his seed into Masaki several times comes into it, but he's gonna do it. Edit musing: How does that even work, anyways? He's like a ghost-man. How is he able to impregnate someone with his fake body?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Lots of awesome fighting. Yeah most are fodder but it was entertaining. It was cool to see Bellamy actually be competent.

So, the newest series in Jump is from the creator of Light Wing. Wasn't that the terrible Soccer manga where the protagonist beat 100 guys in the first chapter?

upandaway

So, the newest series in Jump is from the creator of Light Wing. Wasn't that the terrible Soccer manga where the protagonist beat 100 guys in the first chapter?
Yeah, it was pretty silly.

It was during that time Jump was on a soccer high and serialized like 300 soccer manga in two years.

I will read the first couple of chapters of the new series in hopes they are released in the USA someday. Still waiting on Silver Spoon, Medaka Box, Sket Dance and others. Pumped either way though.

One Piece
Despite people claiming all these named characters are annoying one cool thing about naming "fodder" is that it makes it less and less clear who'll actually win this. A nameless character will lose for sure but a named character has potential. They may not win but they might impact who wins or do something important

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bleach

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this explanation beyond Isshin needs to put on a fake human body. Not sure where putting his seed into Masaki several times comes into it, but he's gonna do it. Edit musing: How does that even work, anyways? He's like a ghost-man. How is he able to impregnate someone with his fake body?

Well he's gotta be her total opposite. She's a Quincy/Hollow, so he's gotta be a Shinigami/Human. Wearing the gigai gives him that second half. Considering how generic the gigai looked there, I'm assuming it adopts the form of the soul that's placed within it. And it must be.. very anatomically correct, if it can let the wearer produce soul babies aww yiss. DNA must persist into your soul after you die somehow.

I will read the first couple of chapters of the new series in hopes they are released in the USA someday. Still waiting on Silver Spoon, Medaka Box, Sket Dance and others. Pumped either way though.

Yeah I wonder what new series will be picked up.

Though with the relatively recent announcement of Magi, I really cant imagine they will pick up any of those other long series anytime soon. (if they passed on Sket Dance anime, then I dont think theyd get the manga)

survivor

Banned
The "rival side" of the current Jump cover, the choice for some of those rivals makes no sense at all.

Who is the pink haired girl on top right beside the Gintama dude? And the 5 characters with small boxes on bottom right?

So the artist for Caterpillar, the spinoff of Arachnid died the other day. The guy was only 27 too. Only a year older than me :(. Think I'll finally start it in his honor.

RIP
And so young too, RIP

Kurita

Who is the pink haired girl on top right beside the Gintama dude? And the 5 characters with small boxes on bottom right?

And so young too, RIP
A girl from Shokugeki No Soma
The other five are from (not in order) Hungry Joker, Kiruko, World Trigger, Cross Manage and Koisoru Edison (or whatever this thing is called).

Akito

She's from Food Smut.
As for the five scrubs (from left to right): Koisuru Edison, World Trigger, Cross Manage, Hungry Joker, Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom