• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jesus man, he writes a freaking battle shonen where guys in robes yell out the names of their special sword attacks to fight monsters who get their chests hole-punched. It's not War and Peace.

It's called a joke.

You and Phoenician_Viking don't even perceive the same realities. Reasoning with him on that level isn't going to work. ;)

Bleach
WTF is all this talk about romance done good in this week bleach chapter ?
Masaki save Isshin life he return the favor and they fall in love it's Shonen romance 101 .

tumblr_lsisgfOyE81qhwi0t.gif

Jesus man, he writes a freaking battle shonen where guys in robes yell out the names of their special sword attacks to fight monsters who get their chests hole-punched. It's not War and Peace.

Hitsugaya´s scream was quite realistic. At least artistically.

It's called a joke.
My bad.

You and Phoenician_Viking don't even perceive the same realities. Reasoning with him on that level isn't going to work. ;)

Explain yourself.

Don't really care about it doing badly saleswise just its unfortunate seeing such a disparity.

Bleach

Isshin don't give a fuck lol and it was a decent (though very shounen) way to get them closer.

Well the TOC is always dependent on the masses. When crap chapter go to the top it generally is because of popularity. I mean if OP didn't have a Color page then it might have been rank 1 this week.

Naruto sells millions so getting high rankings is no longer shocking to me now. I've become numb to it along with Bleach ranking low.

The only ones I worry about it are the new mangas.

Kurita

Naruto higher than Bleach? yikes.

Ass Class doing really well for itself plus Souma is the last newbie standing it looks like
PSI Kusuo Saiki is also doing really good.
Well the TOC is always dependent on the masses. When crap chapter go to the top it generally is because of popularity. I mean if OP didn't have a Color page then it might have been rank 1 this week.
Well, no, AssClass is first if we ignore OP.

Just to clarify I'm NOT shitting on bleach. If I didn't at least in part like it I wouldn't read it in the first place, just voicing my opinion here.
My point is that there was really no reason to force a relationship (not using the word ''love'', since someone pointed that's not the case yet) between the two when a love story could have occurred normally. It would have been more interesting seeing the Romeo and Juliet-like set up. Just my 2 cents.

Just to clarify I'm NOT shitting on bleach. If I didn't at least in part like it I wouldn't read it in the first place, just voicing my opinion here.
My point is that there was really no reason to force a relationship (not using the word ''love'', since someone pointed that's not the case yet) between the two when a love story could have occurred normally. It would have been more interesting seeing the Romeo and Juliet-like set up. Just my 2 cents.

Chances of that happening in big Shonen manga are very very small .

But it's a battle shonen manga. Romance is rarely in the picture if at all.

Love stories are a no-no generally in shonen manga unless the title of your manga is Nisekoi and even that is mostly comedy.

I doubt anyone wants to have a Romeo and Juliet romance if you have ever read the original Shakespearean play lol.

I think that Bleach would tank if it focused on romance the vein you are suggesting but maybe it could have worked out.

One Piece
Not bad chapter , just wondering how many of these characters we going to see again later in the story .
Also fun see all the different races and Luffy talking to Cavendish was awesome in a funny way .
Even when Cavendish does his OP face he still has his sparkles lol

MCD

Bleach

So Bacha dude isn't Ichigo's father, but more like the father of all Quincys when he said what he said that chapter, right?

Eusis

Bleach

So Bacha dude isn't Ichigo's father, but more like the father of all Quincys when he said what he said that chapter, right?
Or it's just something he said as being their ruler, though I guess a distant ancestor isn't impossible anyway.

Akito

One Piece 707
Oda keeps throwing more and more characters into play, looks like Kyros just enters the fray and then there's Garp's acquaintance. This will take a while. Great color page again.

smurfx

get some go again
One Piece 707
Oda keeps throwing more and more characters into play, looks like Kyros just enters the fray and then there's Garp's acquaintance. This will take a while. Great color page again.
something is gonna happen that will end up being a world changing event. no way do you have all these people here and not have something really big happen.

I thought this was supposed to be canceled by now? And are you getting chapters from Shonen Jump Alpha?

I believe its not getting canceled anytime soon, at least based on how this match is being paced. I guess it sold "well"

Jump Double Issue #22/23 TOC *Complete*

Cover: Heroes vs Rivals
One Piece (Lead CP)
Assassination Classroom
Naruto
Moon Walker LTD II (Center Colour, Oneshot)
Kuroko no Basket
Medaka Box (END, Center Colour)
Shokugeki no Souma
Toriko
Gintama
Nisekoi
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Tetokuchi (Center Colour, Oneshot Prologue)
Beelzebub
Haikyuu!!
World Trigger
Bleach
Sket Dance
Kochikame
Cross Manage
Koisuru Edison
Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san
Hungry Joker

At least World Trigger > Bleach and close to Haikyuu!!.

No info on the three new series starting?

One Piece

I actually enjoyed this chapter, despite Oda throwing more and more people into the story. Not all of them are going to be important, but I thought the fighting was well done so far. Not jumping back and forth between the events and other crew members helps a lot. And if it continues like this, Luffy won't need his disguise anymore, since everyone knows who he is anyway.

dumbyugi

I believe its not getting canceled anytime soon, at least based on how this match is being paced. I guess it sold "well"

At least World Trigger > Bleach and close to Haikyuu!!.

No info on the three new series starting?

Mutou Black will be an action series. The art seems pretty good. Smoky B.B isn't based on a oneshot so I've got no clue about it. Soul Catcher(S) isn't an action oneshot but could easily become an action series. I think the art is ugly.

IHaveIce

Banned
One Piece

I actually enjoyed this chapter, despite Oda throwing more and more people into the story. Not all of them are going to be important, but I thought the fighting was well done so far. Not jumping back and forth between the events and other crew members helps a lot. And if it continues like this, Luffy won't need his disguise anymore, since everyone knows who he is anyway.
Indeed, I hope Oda stops with the jumping between characters and just finishes Luffy first and goes back to the other a la "X hours before. Law's group"

Also not sure why there are so many named characters, it is obvious only one can win one round. Or really something big happens and Luffy forms another resistance against Flamingo or something strange.
Kumagawa fans can rest easy, the only reason
he wasn't in the final Medaka Box chapter
is that he is getting his own special finale:

https://twitter.com/manganewsjapon/status/326568401290014720

Expected, now watch this thing become a weekly series and the manga will continue just under a different name.

Bleach 535

lol Isshin not giving a damn.

Love those "wut" faces of Urahara and Ryuuken after being stunned at what they just heard.

Naruto 628

Killer B has the nine tails cloak? Why doesn't he try and use it with his own as well?

And I don't want to see Kakashi vs Obito just yet. Save the sob story about why Rin had to die until after Naruto meets Minato again.

LeleSocho

Banned
Naruto 628

Love no jutsu is soon to be awakened in Obito, Madara looks like Itachi of the good old times... will Hashirama be his Sasuke?

One Piece 707

Ughh... what a mess.
Those hyper detailed drawings are becoming unbearable, you need to look at the page 4-5 times to understand what's going on.

Kurita

That wasn't from the newest batch IIRC but yea it looks to be doing alright (though i'm not sure how the volume performance is like if that has to come into play).
Oh I thought we were talking about the series that started in 2012.

One Piece

Good chapter, pretty funny conversation at the end :lol
Looking forward to that King punch heh

Edit : this week cover

duckroll

The problem with Magi and why it needs a shake up to go back on track

I hate the way Magi has gone in the last few months. I think this is no surprise because I've been calling it garbage for a while now. Why is this the case though? What went wrong? I think the fact is that the manga has lost its way and is trying to pander to an audience it doesn't need to, and is hence rapidly losing its unique identity.

Magi is not a typical shounen fight manga. Or at least, it wasn't. It wasn't about characters fighting each other, but rather about journeying together to discover more about the world together. The author created three solid perspectives for this - Aladdin the Magi whose mysterious origins are a window to the nature of this world, Alibaba the begger prince whose life experiences and ambitions form the foundation of a potential world leader who could be a force of good, and Mor the slave warrior of a scattered tribe who seeks to discover her heritage and change the world as the world changed her.

This was all great stuff. But somehow, after tons of build-up and using all 3 characters to expand the scope of the world by going their separate ways, the manga completely drops the ball by abandoning all that in favor for the worst sort of "world event" possible. The laziest and most uninteresting sort. A shounen "war" arc which isn't really a war but rather a few named characters beam spamming everything to show how powerful they are. Not just for 5 chapters, not just for 10 chapters, it just goes on and on.

Characters posing, random explosions, large number of unnamed "soldiers" looking in horror and going "OMG THEY ARE SO STRONG!". This is stupid. It's not why I started reading Magi, and it's not why I continued reading Magi. It's the complete opposite. To make things worse, it completely abandoned the potential for having an actual interesting war arc where 3 characters represent 3 different perspectives, and actually show the progression of a war and valid opinions and strategies, instead of being Hero units just shattering the battlefield.

- We haven't seen Mor in almost 40 chapters. That's about 10 months.

- Alibaba's training and experiences in the Colosseum amount to nothing because he's just some Super Saiyan armored dude now. Plus he had nothing to contribute at all to the Relm perspective, and basically just hopped on the boat to get back into Aladdin's pants.

- All the characters they have introduced along the way serve no purpose other than to be flashy new armored dudes shouting special attacks and creating explosions while posing. It's stupid and boring. There is no story progression either because they're just fighting some intangible force created for the excuse of action. There are no longer any narrative objectives or interesting story elements to look forward to in this arc.

- The manga has completely lost the plot and thrown away all the interesting things about itself in favor of becoming the generic competition which it tried to set itself apart from at the start. Wasteful, tragic, and pathetic honestly.

One Piece 707

Bad chapter.

Not a big fan of looking at 15 pages of minor characters before something interesting happens in the very last page.

And how do we know these are minor characters .
Yes they can only be one winning in block but there is nothing to say these guys can't do something later on in the arc or appear in other arcs .

Duckroll did you not read the second half of the balbadd arc? Or the second half of the Zagan arc? War between the nations using the powers of the magi and the dungeon capturerers was always clearly going to be the direction the series took, it's why the characters split in the first place to become more powerful. Aladdin and Alibaba have clearly aligned themselves with neither of the 3 armies who are in combat instead deciding to attempt to stop the war by their own hands for a peaceful solution to be found. It's becoming more apparent each chapter that their solution may not be possible simply due to how many powerful dungeon capturerers and black rukh monsters there are. Yes magi does a lot of things different and those differences do show up in this war arc, in the end this is a shonen series where adventures and fights go hand in hand. If you want to read a series that's all about the adventure and discovery go check out 7 seeds

7Th

Duckroll did you not read the second half of the balbadd arc? Or the second half of the Zagan arc? War between the nations using the powers of the magi and the dungeon capturerers was always clearly going to be the direction the series took, it's why the characters split in the first place to become more powerful. Aladdin and Alibaba have clearly aligned themselves with neither of the 3 armies who are in combat instead deciding to attempt to stop the war by their own hands for a peaceful solution to be found. It's becoming more apparent each chapter that their solution may not be possible simply due to how many powerful dungeon capturerers and black rukh monsters there are. Yes magi does a lot of things different and those differences do show up in this war arc, in the end this is a shonen series where adventures and fights go hand in hand. If you want to read a series that's all about the adventure and discovery go check out 7 seeds

You clearly only wanted to write this. :p

One Piece

Was more referring to the batch Souma came in mostly but if it was all 2012 Ass Class would be the chosen rookie imo.

also dat "new" Big 3 :p

You clearly only wanted to write this. :p

Haha honestly I'm not the biggest 7 seeds fan, just read dr's comments on Magi made me think he'd really enjoy it. What he wants is pretty much what that series offers. It even has a no shonen fight garantee being a shujo series.

Naruto

Decent enough chapter, loved Medara's face and we're finally going to get Kakashi vs Obito one on one. Sadly will probably have to wait 3 weeks for Sasuke and co to finally show up.

Bleach

Very enjoyable, not a surprising turn of events but very well done. Will be interested to see how daddy archer takes everything that happens. Perhaps this flash back holds the key to they haven't taken part in the war

One piece

Too many characters, Oda is enter Kubo territories of introducing far too many characters for us to be emotionally invested in. The ending was great and can't wait to see how that plays out over the course of this tourney

Kurita

One piece

Too many characters, Oda is enter Kubo territories of introducing far too many characters for us to be emotionally invested in. The ending was great and can't wait to see how that plays out over the course of this tourney
I don't think that's what he wants anyway.
Some of these guys are just powerful/have a gimmick thus need a name to be more recognizable. But at the end of the day they're just guys we'll forget when the tournament is over. It's better than just having a bunch of unnamed characters fighting to death imo.

One Piece

Some of those characters first time being on a cover in some form since their initial debut :/ Hinata equal to Ichigo in coverage space.

I guess Saiki Kusuo is doing alright, thought its getting at least the 80K - 100K volume sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom