• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Silver spoon 73

Well said Hachiken. Man, he's been on a streak of being awesome for awhile now. Can't wait for that to inevitably come crashing down.

Also while his dad is a dick, what gets me more is how passive his mother is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver spoon 73

Well said Hachiken. Man, he's been on a streak of being awesome for awhile now. Can't wait for that to inevitably come crashing down.

Also while his dad is a dick, what gets me more is how passive his mother is.

That was like the least he could do to avoid being a wuss. He should have been like, "dad you're a fuckin' dick."

Antiwhippy

That was like the least he could do to avoid being a wuss. He should have been like, "dad you're a fuckin' dick."

I dunno, laying things out like that seemed more effective than just saying "Fuck you" and dropping the mike. As amazing as it would be to see hachiken do that.

7Th

Nagisa is most likely a girl due to the obvious misdirection being used by the mangaka in the original Japanese: they NEVER use gendered pronouns to refer to him/her; they always call him/her Nagisa, even if it makes them read dumb.

ALWAYS.

Lain

Sense and Sensibility
Cmo.jpeg

This could have been called NTR the Shoujo and it would have fit better probably, at least based on the first story.
How much are you in love with your boyfriend? Do you love him so much that you'll fuck his brother? Do you love him so much that you'll lose your virginity to his brother? will you do all of the above while your boyfriend is in the house?
If the answer is yes to all, then you're just like Aya-chan and you really, really love your boyfriend, you just are a poor indecisive girl who can't pick between whipped cream cake and chocolate cake, you just have to have both of them!
After the main story there are 2 other stories about love, but I didn't bother reading them yet. After such a delicacy from the first one I don't think the others could compare.

As an addendum, I'd say this was the first Hina Sakurada manga I enjoyed more plot wise. although it's only the 3rd book of hers I read, the other 3 felt less structured, especially the first two, The Flower with the Knife and Dead Friend's Love Letter which felt a lot like all style and no substance (the art in them has an interesting style to it but it's not enough to carry the story), while Taro is Distorted had some interesting points, but this delivered much better.

Ha, that didn't take long.

I'm on chapter 10 and it's just kind of . . stupid. Though, vapid I think fits the feeling more.

It had a good premise but never did anything with it. The problem is that instead of being close to bombing and quickly turning into a battle manga, it exploded in popularity and is a huge it now, sales wise. It must have something to do with the tentacles or something.

dumbyugi

Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning
i152855_zpsb3639f6b.jpg

This started of great and continued to be great until the "Hunter" arc ended, then it finally decided to reveal what the blade children were and it also introduced a big bad. This is where it went downhill, that it took three 30-60 page chapters it took to explain everything was bad enough but the crap that was explained was so stupid I almost stopped reading. If it was just the blade children being test tube babies that go nuts like their Dad when they get older than I would have been fine with it, but the shit about the creator and god and the devil and all that bullshit really pissed me off. It was just so stupid.
Luckily the final arc had some really good stuff, so I'm glad I kept reading. Hizumi and Harumi played off each other really well and the final showdown between the two was fantastic. The clone stuff was something I had already worked out before it was revealed and it was a stupid twist but it did help to show just how much Harumi had changed so it wasn't all bad. The showdown with his brother was kind of anti-climatic but it couldn't have happened any other way.
I liked that the ending was left kind of vauge. It doesn't outright say if hope won or if despair won. There were a few little things that bothered me about the ending, like the blade children not being arrested for murder but I never really expected them to be anyway.

Overall I really liked the series up to a point, but it started piling on stupid twist after twist and that's a shame. I will probably buy the series when I can but I'll be skipping the volume with the stupid-ass god vs devil vs creator bullshit.

Story: 7/10
Art: 7/10
Characters: 9/10
Overall: 7/10

Is there any example of a manga that personifies the trope of "Wasted Potential" other than Naruto?

Because looking back, Kishi had so many opportunities to have some straight up BOSS moments for a variety of characters, but nope, he took his Uchiha wanking too far.

Is there any example of a manga that personifies the trope of "Wasted Potential" other than Naruto?

Because looking back, Kishi had so many opportunities to have some straight up BOSS moments for a variety of characters, but nope, he took his Uchiha wanking too far.

Some might say Bleach, but at least it doesn't feel like Kubo is completely done with the story and universe yet and could still do some interesting things here and there.

dumbyugi

I can think of quite a few cancelled series with "Wasted Potential" but I assume you want series that weren't/aren't cancelled. Code;Breaker is a good example of a series with wasted potential, it started off really well but instead of continuing to devlop the characters the author decided that they were good enogh at the begining and any time one of the characters does devlop it gets cancelled out for some reason.

Kurita

I liked Death Note part 2. The police raid at Mello's HQ is still one of my favorite moments of the manga.
I think I'm just easy to please.

dumbyugi

Ugh I just started Hikaru no go, well ep1, it really goes downhill? It had such an amazing first episode.

I haven't seen the anime so I don't know how it handles the ending but in the manga the ending is very rushed and doesn't really conclude much. I think you'll enjoy the series though, Hikaru and Akira seem like the type of characters you'll like.

dumbyugi

I had a quick look through the raw for Kishimoto's one-shot Mario and it actually looks quite good. His artstyle really fits the mafia theme much more then it does ninjas.

Akito

Screaming Lesson 35
I did expect that she will go back in time again and her sacrificing herself did not come as a surprise either but the happy ending certainly was one.

I don't think it was canceled, it never strikes me as a long series and all that's left is Brad and Luke dealing with their father anyway and I think 2 volumes are quite sufficient for that.

While that's true and I don't think there's much worse than a drawn out story, I thought the setting was fairly interesting and was hoping for some more stories in it. It helps that the art is absolutely fantastic.

Stulaw

Hentai Kamen had a bad and rusehd ending, it didn't really have any explanation as to why things ended up the way they did, I mean I didn't think it would go on for as long as it did, but it was funny, had potential, and they ended it with a timeskip.

Antiwhippy

Screaming lessons 35

Huh, a happy ending. Fancy that.

Well, at least a coma for 5 years is relatively happy in this universe.

Jarmel

Banned
I would prefer "If I'm a failure then you're a failure too!" This would really riled up his dad.

Well the thing is that I think he realizes that his father has a point. A lot of this is about him realizing that while his father is wrong, there is still some validity to it.

Screaming Lessons 35
Yomi is such a kind hearted girl. I'd like to think that she watched Kei visiting the comatose Rui every day for 5 years, grinning as he quietly grieved over her body, before she finally decided she'd taken enough from them. At least she had the humanity to not throw a lorry at them again.

Seriously, every time she gets her spectral hands dirty my opinion of her gets even higher. Another fantastic chapter, and not just because of her.

Screaming Lesson 35
I did expect that she will go back in time again and her sacrificing herself did not come as a surprise either but the happy ending certainly was one.
I've come to expect happy endings now from the 2-parters. Off the top of my head, there hasn't been one so far that's concluded with a BAD END.

survivor

Banned
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol 3

I think all the chapters in this volume were adapted into the anime except the one about Santa and the one that shows how Hotori got into detective mysteries. I can't wait to get into the volumes that the anime never reached. Either way, still great stuff and the jokes are as good as ever.

Kurita

Kokou No Hito vol.1
On his first day of transferring to a new high school, a loner named Mori Buntarou, is cajoled by a classmate into climbing the school building. Despite knowing that one misstep could send him spiraling to his death, he moves forward, and upon finally reaching the top, Mori experiences a sense of fulfillment. That feeling, which seems to be telling him, "You're alive!" gives birth to an adrenaline for rock-climbing.

Wow, really good first volume. Just couldn't put it down.
Climbing is a great and unusual theme allowing to include some intense hot-blooded scenes.
Seeing the characters overcoming their own barriers can be breathtaking. It's as if you were the one climbing the walls and mountains.
The whole cast is likable so far, I can see bros being bros and whatnot.
The art is great, despite a few panels where the necks look quite long :lol
Highly recommend it.

Gantz
20th Century Boys
Bleach
Bakuman

And the king of wasted potential:

Death Note

Kurita

Makai no Ossan

Ok, I think ONE is really one of my favorite authors right now. A slice of life comedy featuring monsters.

Boon seems to be translating the chapters really fast since they're all 1 or 2 pages long.

Wiseblade

Well the thing is that I think he realizes that his father has a point. A lot of this is about him realizing that while his father is wrong, there is still some validity to it.

I think it's more that Hachiken's dad has a really low opinion of his son and hasn't witnessed his growth. The hachiken he knows failed to get into a real school and ran off to be a big fish in a small pond. But we've seen Hachiken's suffering growth first hand and know how off the mark these accusations now are.

Antiwhippy

Would it be fair to include Beezlebub?

Well with beelzebub it kinda rises and falls from time to time.

With the falls being whenever they feel that they have to have a serious fighting arc.

At least you know that the potential will appear again after awhile.

Well with beelzebub it kinda rises and falls from time to time.

With the falls being whenever they feel that they have to have a serious fighting arc.

At least you know that the potential will appear again after awhile.

I haven't read it in a while (stopped at the beginning of the summer trip), but when I glance over some weekly comments, most seem rather negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom