• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Hinamatsuri 13.5, 18-20
hinamatsuri18.jpg
hinamatsuri18a.jpg

hinamatsuri18b.jpg
hinamatsuri18c.jpg
We are not worthy of such an incredible series. :bow :bow

survivor

Banned
Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai vol 6
tennai_vol06_ch27_pg0ahlem.jpg
tennai_vol06_ch28_pg0ppa9w.jpg

So looking at the current relationships progress of the cast we got

Midori x Akira
Mamirin x Takigawa
Shino x Seven
Mako x Bunta
Ken - forever alone

And since there are only 2 volumes left, I really don't think there will be any changes to this. Oh poor Ken, falling for the main character when she already has a guy she likes was bound to turn out horribly for you. And I don't even think the manga is setting him up to end up with anyone else. Looks like the dude will only have his music lol

Some developments in this volume made me shake my head in disappointment. I think this is the only time while reading the manga that the shoujo melodrama annoyed me. Ken disappearing all the sudden to go to France to look for Masashi just feels like an afterthought to extend the manga. I mean the Masashi-Maki problem needs to be resolved, but this feels like a lame reason to make Akira not get back with Midori. Then there is the whole Shino thing getting upset over Mamirin. The writing just wasn't on par with the rest of the manga and felt extra cheesy during the few scenes involving Shino. Then of course we have Ken getting in an accident in France. I guess we needed more fake drama or maybe this is just a way to make Masashi acting like a naive child and just go back home. Or maybe Midori will go to get Akira and we will get a France arc.

It's a weaker volume than the previous ones with the melodrama ramped up in a not so good way. But still, it's an enjoyable read and I'm expecting Yazawa to wrap it up in a satisfying way.

Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga 23

MnH6x45l.png

And, here's the end of this charming series.

Not a bad last chapter mostly cause at least the speed it was going at was slowed down and did provide more cute romance between the two.

This definitely had a good concept. Pairing up people based off SCIENCE was interesting, even if the author had to do incest twice just cause I guess otherwise it would be a normal romance series. But, the couples were all cute and I definitely did like seeing the love blossom between them. I'll definitely look forward to more works by this guy now.

Also:
Gamers > Novelist > Pastry > Incest

Bokura no Negai 4

Wait a month for another chapter expecting a new development and relationship progress and then, nothing :( Flower shop from a previous one shot having an appearance here did make me smile though.

Yume Yume Shinjuu 7 (end)
tumblr_mhjepqubxV1s4majwo1_250.jpg

Biased for liking it for the genre, but then my own personal feelings towards just sad or opened endings keeps me from truly truly liking it, not to mention the story telling style was odd and it just felt like so much was just left open or not explained (at times confusing). Just sad and heartbreaking and people eating.

Though I did like the art, guess Ill check out the artists Kurokos Basketball doujins.

HxH

Oh thats not the worst of it man. Just catch up to near the Hiatus point. HXH is one of the most violent Shonen manga in Jump next to Bleach. Sometimes they are borderline Seinen manga in brutality

Yea HxH can be pretty brutal.

The scene where the Spiders were massacring the mafia was one of my favorite "is this really a shounen?" moments

Wiseblade

You should read the books.

Not that the show is bad. The books just kind of rule, though.

I actually started reading the book ages ago and read exactly what amounted to the first episode but my friends started talking about watching the show together., so I stopped. They only actually started watching yesterday, though.

OPM

So short and yet so good. It's truly fantastic how well Murata can draw those action scenes. It really makes me wish that he'd draw a chapter of the big three.

I might reread opm after this alleged 100 page chapter comes out, I loved the art but the comedy/plot fell flat on me. Saitama's faces were awesome but couldn't keep me reading

I might reread opm after this alleged 100 page chapter comes out, I loved the art but the comedy/plot fell flat on me. Saitama's faces were awesome but couldn't keep me reading
For me it was the comedic timing at the beginning and how anti-shonen the formula was. Now it's just an enjoyable read every now and then.
I kind of thought that was a joke. The longest chapter so far is like almost 50 pages. no way he hits 100!
What irks me the most about it, should it be true, ofc, is the long wait between this and the next chapter.

That is simply ridiculous. I almost wish you didn't put it in quotes. :lol We need to clone him.

I also never noticed the fight between Cell and Meryem.

exarkun

Everytime someone posts those spreads, Im always reminded of the first time I saw them and how in awe I was of the flawless combination of characters and how beautiful the art is.

Then I remember, as a teen, that I promised myself that as soon as I had money, I'd buy poster size versions and put them up. Im still waiting to fulfill that promise : ((

Akito

OPM
Dat body. I'm really really hyped for the next chapter, I almost wanted Murata to say all pages will be in color again but that would probably kill him haha

Half&Half 5
Pretty boring chapter but the cliffhanger kinda make up for it.

Sun-Ken Rock 122 raw

I usually don't "read" raws, because I don't understand a thing, but I suppose it's okay with Sun-Ken Rock. It's not exactly very wordy.

Anyway, I'm glad this arc is finally over. I loved Yumin's scene at the end and it's a bit of a shame that Kim couldn't make it, but I guess that was predictable. At least it seems like he got some closure.

On a different note, I have to say that reading raws really made me once again appreciate the work scanlation groups do. Such a huge difference.

Kurita

Kamakura Diary vol.1 (aka Umimachi Diary in Japanese)
iYnbNi5nkhIrM.jpg

A letter comes to the three Kohda sisters in Kamakura, bringing the news of their father's death. A father they hadn't seen since he divorced and left home 15 years ago. Despite feeling indifferent about their father, Yoshino, the middle of the three, and Chika, the youngest, go to Yamagata to attend his funeral on oldest sister Sachi's request. There, they meet Suzu, their young and reliable half sister.

Umimachi Diary won the Excellence Prize for manga at the 2007 Japan Media Arts Festival Awards. It was also nominated for the 1st Manga Taisho, where it came in 3rd place, for the 12th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, where it came in 2nd place, and for the 13th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize.

Winner of the 2013 Manga Taisho Awards.

This was good. Really, really good.
The art isn't outstanding, as expected from a josei manga, but who cares when the writing is this good!
Four sisters with unique personalities, their own problems, their own life... No doubt anyone can relate to them.
No clichés, no boring moments. It's just the life in this small town featuring a cast of diverse, interesting and human characters...
Having four main characters is great because you can have a whole new story within the main story when the author decides to focus on one of them.
The younger sister is still in middle-school, so you'll have teen drama where her siblings are not involved at all etc...
Definitely one of the most interesting slice of life mangas I've read so far.

Stinky

Oh shit, Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa is getting a sequel, fuck yeah.

yesssss.

Definitely curious as to how it will be handled though.
Prequel? Ghost Kurosawa? Can't be a different Kurosawa can it?

Oh thats not the worst of it man. Just catch up to near the Hiatus point. HXH is one of the most violent Shonen manga in Jump next to Bleach. Sometimes they are borderline Seinen manga in brutality

Yeah I've seen screengrabs of some real brutal stuff. Looks like the anime is not as censored as I thought it would be. I think I'll read the Chimera Ant arc though.

I know in Bleach a lot of the limb dismemberment was given lame censors - instead of getting an arm chopped off a character would just get a deep wound.

I can name so many more characters now, compared to the first time I saw it.

Haha this is what I thought as well.

survivor

Banned
yesssss.

Definitely curious as to how it will be handled though.
Prequel? Ghost Kurosawa? Can't be a different Kurosawa can it?
Its either
he didn't die or someone else will inherit the Kurosawa name. I don't think a prequel would make sense cause we know he will still be a coward at the end of it.

The Misfortune of Kyon & Koizumi 1- 16 (end)
tumblr_mm82kjarld1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Getting through my huge stack of unread manga and finished this one on today. Really good moments all throughout, favorite one was this and above and alot of the other ones. Some of the contributing artists character designs barely resembled Kyon and Koizumi though so that was disappointing. Oh well was fun and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom