• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
]In any case, if anyone makes a comprehensive recommendation/review in one post about timeless series like FMA, Berserk, Slam Dunk, etc., [/B]I'll pop an extra 'Recs' section into the OP and link your post. I think the banners are better for ongoing manga (although things like Berserk and HxH are clearly ongoing FOREVER).

Mostly, I just want to keep the OP image-light. The chief reason the OPM page is there is because clearly nobody reads the rules, so it's supposed to be encouragement.

Stinky, if you are on the Off-Topic Community page, and you click on the orange NeoGAF logo to the left of the thread title, the link will send you automatically to your latest unread post.

Threads like this already exist IIRC (cosmic did a shounen one and flawfuls did one for the other stuff that he would normally recommend). They should be around still.

Wiseblade

Splitting the Big 3 to seperate threads is the worst idea I've ever heard. I still think the One Piece thread should be locked. Those anime-only morons need to take their medicine.

Akito

Threads like this already exist IIRC (cosmic did a shounen one and flawfuls did one for the other stuff that he would normally recommend). They should be around still.
They are linked to in the OP but I think what we need is a condensed version of those.

Does Yamada get interesting? I read the beginning when it was coming out and I got bored after a while.
You might find a new witch more interesting hotter than the ones so far but otherwise it will not change much.

Yonafunu

In any case, if anyone makes a comprehensive recommendation/review in one post about timeless series like FMA, Berserk, Slam Dunk, etc., I'll pop an extra 'Recs' section into the OP and link your post. I think the banners are better for ongoing manga (although things like Berserk and HxH are clearly ongoing FOREVER).

Mostly, I just want to keep the OP image-light. The chief reason the OPM page is there is because clearly nobody reads the rules, so it's supposed to be encouragement.

Stinky, if you are on the Off-Topic Community page, and you click on the orange NeoGAF logo to the left of the thread title, the link will send you automatically to your latest unread post.

We have cosmicblizzards list shonen manga, though I do feel a "recommended classics" wouldn't be a bad idea. Here is a quick "completed manga you should read if you haven't" please feel free to add/edit things I'm missing.

Dragon Ball
Yu Gi Oh
Yu Yu Hakusho
Ruruoni Kenshin
Full Metal Alchemist
Death Note

I think everyone can agree on all of those being there, others I'd recommend but I'm not sure if everyone would agree are "classics" are (some I haven't read hence why I'm putting them here)

Shaman King
Black Cat
Slam Dunk
Prince of Tennis
Fist of the North Star
Cardcaptors
Sailor Moon
Inyuasha
Ranma 1/2
Psyren

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Does Yamada get interesting? I read the beginning when it was coming out and I got bored after a while.

I find it quite entertaining for what it is. Its certainly not "deep" or unusual in any sense. It's about an idiot hero who sort of has a harem, although so far nobody but best girl seems to think he's more than even tolerable at best.

Yeah. Sure there should be some doujin out there that would depict that realistic scenario. lol

I'm just saying, if I got switched into some chick's body, we're talking like a few minutes before I'm doing something perverted with it.

Wiseblade

We have cosmicblizzards list shonen manga, though I do feel a "recommended classics" wouldn't be a bad idea. Here is a quick "completed manga you should read if you haven't" please feel free to add/edit things I'm missing.

Dragon Ball
Yu Gi Oh
Yu Yu Hakusho
Ruruoni Kenshin
Full Metal Alchemist
Death Note

I think everyone can agree on all of those being there, others I'd recommend but I'm not sure if everyone would agree are "classics" are (some I haven't read hence why I'm putting them here)

Shaman King
Black Cat
Slam Dunk
Prince of Tennis
Fist of the North Star
Cardcaptors
Sailor Moon
Inyuasha
Ranma 1/2
Psyren

Dragon Ball needs to be in BOLD.

Akito

Dragon Ball: yes
Yu Gi Oh: eh I don't know
Yu Yu Hakusho: yes
Ruruoni Kenshin: well ok
Full Metal Alchemist: yes
Death Note: no

Shaman King: no
Black Cat: fuck no
Slam Dunk: yes
Prince of Tennis: ahahahaha
Fist of the North Star: yes
Cardcaptors: undecided on this one
Sailor Moon: yes
Inyuasha: nonononono
Ranma 1/2: maybe
Psyren: no

It will be quite a task to choose and limit the classic titles, that's for sure. I'd add The Lucifer and The Biscuit Hammer and Touch. And that if we're only talking about shonen manga.

It will be quite a task to choose and limit the classic titles, that's for sure. I'd add The Lucifer and The Biscuit Hammer and Touch.

I guess the best way would be to narrow it down to the top 3 or 5 that best represent all manga as a whole IE Slam Dunk for sports, Dragon Ball for fight, Full Metal Alchemist for adventure.

And on the topic of Death Note, everything before the time skip is classic and easily recommendable to everyone. The final arc may suck but so does YYH's final arc (overly rushed cause classic Togashi being lazy) and Dragon Ball (Buu saga feels like a lot of half baked phoning it in).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Don't forget Wolf Guy.

lgAWlt1.jpg

Yonafunu

I wouldn't recommend Death Note. Or at least put an advise saying:"Please read until this chapter, manga ends here, do not keep reading".

I'd definitely recommend it. I have friends that hate manga and anime who were completely enthralled by Death Note. It drags in the middle, but the ending is very strong, imo.

Angry Grimace

I bet you anything that Ohba thinks that super cool guy ending of the fake series in Bakuman was exactly the way Death Note ended.

Akito

And on the topic of Death Note, everything before the time skip is classic and easily recommendable to everyone. The final arc may suck but so does YYH's final arc (overly rushed cause classic Togashi being lazy) and Dragon Ball (Buu saga feels like a lot of half baked phoning it in).
You mean the second half.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel very strongly that we need glass mask as part of the classics.

You can pretend that it ended at volume 42.

For the timeless list it would be good if the mangas were different from each other.

My timeless list:

Dragon Ball (battle shounen)
Sanctuary (political drama)
Full Metal Alchemist (adventure)
Berserk (fantasy)
Vagabond (historical)
Slam Dunk (sport)
Yotsuba (slice of life)
Punpun (depressing drama)
7 Seeds (survival)
Great Teacher Onizuka (comedy)

dramatis

What I'm saying is more like
Good Ending (16 volumes, completed)

[maybe put a picture here]

Good Ending (GE) is a comedy shounen harem manga with a TWIST. The story is blah blah blah blah blah. I like it because it's so well-written and you feel for the characters. In the beginning there's this moment where the what and the what get together and they lurve each other but can't even hold hands because they're so pure.

The value GE has is immense. No other shounen harem manga has ever had a weak main male character that is involved in heartbreaking love pentagons. The girls have amazing and unique character designs, and their personalities are special and carefully constructed to not be any deeper than a rainwater puddle in the street. Even if you don't like harem manga, GE is one of a kind and should be etc. etc.

I mean if you can write an informative post something like that, I can link it in the OP saying with "Good Ending: A shounen harem story with a TWIST" and maybe someone will look at the one-line descriptor and think, let's see what this is about. He'll click and read the rec and maybe he'll decide to read the manga. That's all, really.

I would like to direct people to cosmic's and flawfuls's threads but I don't know how well that gets people into manga. If someone writes a rec and I park the link in the OP, I figure when a new guy comes in and asks for a rec, one of you guys can just scramble in the OP and copy him the link with the summary, so he can build his own interest Inception isn't possible.

Stop posting lists, guys, and post recs. Think thoroughly about why you liked X manga and what elements about it make it worth going through the parts that weren't so good.

Real Clothes 29

I hope this doesn't stray into "Kinue finds a rebound guy". It's nice how the chapter builds a sense of optimism, making you feel as though Kinue is over it, but the 'dumping and getting dumped' part is really just a rocky ocean that goes up and down.

In other words, nice chapter.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, Glass Mask has been running how long and Barely has more volumes than Dragon Ball?

Greatness takes time man.

Also hiatus are the worst.

Real Clothes 29

I hope this doesn't stray into "Kinue finds a rebound guy". It's nice how the chapter builds a sense of optimism, making you feel as though Kinue is over it, but the 'dumping and getting dumped' part is really just a rocky ocean that goes up and down.

Oh wow, someone else reading this.

What I'm saying is more like

I mean if you can write an informative post something like that, I can link it in the OP saying with "Good Ending: A shounen harem story with a TWIST" and maybe someone will look at the one-line descriptor and think, let's see what this is about. He'll click and read the rec and maybe he'll decide to read the manga. That's all, really.

I would like to direct people to cosmic's and flawfuls's threads but I don't know how well that gets people into manga. If someone writes a rec and I park the link in the OP, I figure when a new guy comes in and asks for a rec, one of you guys can just scramble in the OP and copy him the link with the summary, so he can build his own interest Inception isn't possible.

Stop posting lists, guys, and post recs. Think thoroughly about why you liked X manga and what elements about it make it worth going through the parts that weren't so good.

Real Clothes 29

Gotcha sounds like a plan

Kusagari

Medaka Box

The trolling. Oh boy, the trolling. Medaka going on a spree of adventures we'll never see and showing up, Iihiko randomly being fine, the mention that Ajimu "will probably show up sooner or later."

Nisio, you are truly a master of your craft.

Yonafunu

Vagabond 306

How is every chapter in this series so satisfying? I've never felt like a chapter needed to be longer or wasn't substantive enough after reading.

Medaka Box

The trolling. Oh boy, the trolling. Medaka going on a spree of adventures we'll never see and showing up, Iihiko randomly being fine, the mention that Ajimu "will probably show up sooner or later."

Nisio, you are truly a master of your craft.

Some time ago watched Nisemonogatari. I didn't know nothing about the show or the fact it had past seasons/animes

Then after a few episodes I thought:"This looks like Nisio level of trolling". And I found the show was based on light novels by Nisio. Truly his work is unique.

xxxHOLiC Rei 02

Well at least it's back to the regular xxxHOLiC of solving guest's problems.

Sweet Destiny 01-02

Not bad. Cute ending I would say.

Sweet Chapel

Short as well. Heh, at that twist.

Kusagari

Some time ago watched Nisemonogatari. I didn't know nothing about the show or the fact it had past seasons/animes

Then after a few episodes I thought:"This looks like Nisio level of trolling". And I found the show was based on light novels by Nisio. Truly his work is unique.

Medaka Box has yet to have an entire chapter devoted to toothbrushing though.

His Favorite v2
tumblr_mj1o6g9lja1rmtdhlo1_250.jpg

Three more chapters for the His Favorite storyline and all were compelling. Extending the story by adding in a love interest for the second most popular guy at the school, Yamanaka, and Takahashi, friend of Yoshida from middle school was a good choice. Neither really goes with Sato or Yoshida, so follow their story should be interesting if they can either admit their feelings towards one another while hanging out instead of just blushing.

The two chapter story set at an all boys school with the snapping turtle was funny, just because of how ridiculous it was with antics from the disciplinary committee and their struggle with the blacklist most infamous students, one just obsessed with making everyone where the black uniform, another just there to get the attention of the leader of it, and the other a crossdresser. I like the authors bonus stories across these volumes and wonder what v3 coming later this month will have. Definitely viz best pickup since Loveless.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Medaka Box has yet to have an entire chapter devoted to toothbrushing though.

That would be reusing a troll, which sort of makes it not a troll. I'm waiting for the Groundhog Day arc where we get 12 chapters that are exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom