• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

That's probably what happens when you try to push the same characters for 50-70 years and rewrite everything about them every 10 years.

Ah I guess they really, really pushed it with the reboots instead of trying to make new heroes...
That's why I always get the feeling that US superhero comics are in something like a loop and when they go out of it, it turns to trash...
Well yeah, there's not much point in introducing the term now, it's just a pet peeve of mine haha.
I highly recommend Kamakura Diary, first volume was released a few weeks ago.

I'll try, I make no promise though as I'm supposed to be reading GoT right now....

Comic sales were bad for long while and lets not even talk about manga sales in the USA.
While Bookscan does not take into account online sales or sales at non-bookstores .
Naruto Vol 56 sold 7000 plus first week , Bleach vol 40 sold 500 copies first week .
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-08/bookscan-manga-ranking-may-28-june-3

Even if you times those numbers by 10 or 20 to take in account online sales etc etc they so bad it funny .

For a country that big, there's only 7000 copies of Naruto sold in the 1rst week?
It's even worse than I thought!

Comic sales were bad for long while and lets not even talk about manga sales in the USA.
While Bookscan does not take into account online sales or sales at non-bookstores .
Naruto Vol 56 sold 7000 plus first week , Bleach vol 40 sold 500 copies first week .

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-08/bookscan-manga-ranking-may-28-june-3

Even if you times those numbers by 10 or 20 to take in account online sales etc etc they so bad it funny .

Those are pretty terrible numbers. But seeing Sailor Moon in the charts is kinda funny.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece non-Panda version

Much better. Art is cleaner and the translation isn't as bad.
So Chinjao is known for an extremely hard head, capable of splitting continents. Yet Garp managed to scar him, showing what a beast Garp was.
Cavendish is getting interesting too.

Theory on Bartoleomeo: If he manages to anger someone, nothing can harm him. Hence when Hack tried to punch him out of anger, his power deflected the hit.

Mael

Aaah Sailor Moon, the one manga I never could get into....

Superheroes have moved on to the big screen. Doesn't mean that it'll boost comic sales, it's just that the audience shifted I think.

Though I probably should look up more hard numbers to make any judgements either way.

It's the US manga sales that are pretty pitiable.

Well comic book stories usually translate fairly well to the silver screen so it's no wonder they do well, I mean good movies should do well after all.
But my god what the hell happens to the print market in the US?

survivor

Banned
For a country that big, there's only 7000 copies of Naruto sold in the 1rst week?

Naruto seems to have declined a lot. Top selling Naruto volume in 2010 was around 53k, the top selling one in 2011 was around 32k, and the one for 2012 was only 17k. Either the BookScan tracking method for Naruto has changed or its popularity has decreased a lot.

Those are pretty terrible numbers. But seeing Sailor Moon in the charts is kinda funny.

Yep it's really bad , online reading sites have kill manga in NA no need to buy them , come out faster , etc etc .
I have friends that just download chapters by certain groups and keep them .

Mael

Yep it's really bad , online reading sites have kill manga in NA no need to buy them , come out faster , etc etc .

I doubt it's the answer, you can find freshly translated Naruto chapters in French just as easily as in english.
Yet the market is still there.

Naruto seems to have declined a lot. Top selling Naruto volume in 2010 was around 53k, the top selling one in 2011 was around 32k, and the one for 2012 was only 17k. Either the BookScan tracking method for Naruto has changed or its popularity has decreased a lot.

I'd go for the other reason.

Also Bleach is not so bad with a proper translation.
Also we're in the middle of the Fullbring arc in French localisation and it's not as bad as it was in the weekly format.
I guess Bleach is better in volume.

I don't think I could ever go full digital when it comes to mangas.
I'd pay for something like the English WSJ though.

I think it was tried here, it proved that not enough people were interested in this kind of product.
It even bore the name of Jump and stuffs.
And I mean it was tried more than 10 years ago.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think I could ever go full digital when it comes to mangas.
I'd pay for something like the English WSJ though.

With jmanga closing down I don't even know another digital publishing business that actually has a decent selection.

The way they closed down was pretty shitty too.

I doubt it's the answer, you can find freshly translated Naruto chapters in French just as easily as in english.
Yet the market is still there.

I think part of that is the manga\anime culture over there along with other factors .
I know OP would have sold some more copies if Zoro name was not Zolo .
Is he still call that by VIZ in the vols ?

Korosenai

So Chinjao is known for an extremely hard head, capable of splitting continents. Yet Garp managed to scar him, showing what a beast Garp was.
Cavendish is getting interesting too.

Theory on Bartoleomeo: If he manages to anger someone, nothing can harm him. Hence when Hack tried to punch him out of anger, his power deflected the hit.

Great theory, and would be interesting if true.

BatDan

Considering Shippuden hasn't aired since 2011, it's very likely the popularity has gone waaay down.

Kurita

I think it was tried here, it proved that not enough people were interested in this kind of product.
It even bore the name of Jump and stuffs.
And I mean it was tried more than 10 years ago.
I remember Pika doing it yeah, there were chapters of Get Backers, Young GTO... in it.

Mael

With jmanga closing down I don't even know another digital publishing business that actually has a decent selection.

The way they closed down was pretty shitty too.

That's to be expected, I mean their 1rst obligations was to their debtors after all.
Expect the same for every and all digital business.

Tell me what I did miss though,
we had the wrap up with the flashback (that wasn't badly done btw) and some "OMG YOU'LL LEARN THE REAL TRUTH BEHIND YOUR MOTHER DEATH!!!!"
Not exactly packed of content.

I remember Pika doing it yeah, there were chapters of Get Backers, Young GTO... in it.

What's funny is that there were some interesting stuffs but nothing that screamed "BUY ME" in it.
If you do that with Naruto or One Piece it might fare better, then again it might bite into the volume sales....

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's to be expected, I mean their 1rst obligations was to their debtors after all.
Expect the same for every and all digital business.

Eh, their obligations should be with their customers.

There will be hell to raise if steam or the amazon kindle service terminated in a similar fashion.

Mael

Eh, their obligations should be with their customers.

There will be hell to raise if steam or the amazon kindle service terminated in a similar fashion.

You're right in that it should be.
In the real world it's not and never will be.
A company is not your friend even if they owe you money (in my experience especially if they owe you money).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They canceled Naruto in the US?

It doesn't run on any TV stations anymore. They moved it from Cartoon Network to Disney XD at some point and then it got cancelled entirely (I assume the rights to air it cost more than it was worth to air on an obscure subscription based Disney network). It's rather odd that they basically killed off the anime, but I can only assume Shuiesha wanted too much money for the rights to air it.

BatDan

They canceled Naruto in the US?

The first series aired on Cartoon Network, but ratings plummeted when it entered filler hell. This was also around the time Cartoon Network was trying to be like Nickelodeon, with live-action shows and less cartoons.
So when the time came for Shippuden to air on TV, Disney to the rescue! They aired Shippuden on Disney XD with plenty of promotion. Then they saw how violent later episodes got so after 97 episodes, the show was effectively cancelled.
Viz still releases DVDs and new episodes air on Neon Alley, but it's not actually on TV. Adult Swim has tried to get Shippuden rights for the new Toonami, but Disney refuses to give them up, preferring to sit on them and do nothing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57156168]Quincy dad's servant is better at talk no jutsu than Naruto.

I DON'T WANNA GO HOME
"Let's go home"
OK LET'S GO HOME[/QUOTE]
I can only presume Quincy Dad's servant is Quincy Mom.

BatDan

? Toonami airs Naruto eps every week, which is usually nearly the most watched show...

shippuden runs on vizs channel on consoles, im guessing Disney will someday return to airing shippuden

Yeaaah no. Disney removed all traces of Naruto from their site, that sounds like it's never coming back.

I wonder what lifetime sales of early volumes are. Anyway, I guess many are willing to buy Naruto but few are willing to commit $9.99 x all 61 volumes.

Angry Grimace

How do you think he got so good at sewing?

I thought it was supposed to be pretty obvious actually; I mean, there isn't any point in showing the maid making doe eyes and talking about her feels a ton of times if she isn't Ishida's mom.

survivor

Banned
I wonder what lifetime sales of early volumes are. Anyway, I guess many are willing to buy Naruto but few are willing to commit $9.99 x all 61 volumes.

Wouldn't surprise me if the first volume of Naruto had some ridiculous total print numbers. For comparison sake, volume 1 of Naruto outsold every Bleach and One Piece volumes in 2012 so people are clearly still buying it to this day.

upandaway

Dunno if you guys know but another group is releasing chapters faster than MS with good translation/picture quality (translation could be better than MS if MS still does the "..." after every sentence, or maybe better overall). They released theirs a good 3-4 hours ago, maybe more but that's when I saw it up

Angry Grimace

They gave the video game license to EA. Already a bad sign.

Every Star Wars game there is already sucks.

Oh wait, Knights of the Old Republic.

Bioware.

Owned by EA now. Hrmmm

Kusagari

Naruto

Dumb like everything else in this series now.

Bleach

Seems like Aizen wasn't involved with Masaki's death so I'm guessing Bach was somehow.

One Piece

Good chapter. Bartolomeo, Chinjao and Cavendish are all getting interesting.

It's the US manga sales that are pretty pitiable.

I wonder how much Shueisha us sales matter much for it, cant imagine Viz needed to pay or something for Naruto etc...and I guess their JPN sales must wholly fund their manga endeavors here. Oh well I just hope they continue to support America for many years to come... Viz/Sublime/Animate Ltd too.

Stinky

Yeah I'm almost certain Bach is involved. Right now he feels kind of a Villain of the Week to me. Aizen is a far better Bleach end-boss.

Thats why Bach had history with Yamamoto, so it didnt feel like he came out of nowhere. But it still felt like that.

Gradivus

I wonder how much Shueisha us sales matter much for it, cant imagine Viz needed to pay or something for Naruto etc...and I guess their JPN sales must wholly fund their manga endeavors here. Oh well I just hope they continue to support America for many years to come... Viz/Sublime/Animate Ltd too.

The way I see it is just some extra pocket money for Shueisha. Another thing that hurts manga overseas sales is the pricing in some countries. For example, Manga in Australia tends to cost about $16 a volume, while in Japan it's about 450 yen (about $4.50 Aus).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I'm almost certain Bach is involved. Right now he feels kind of a Villain of the Week to me. Aizen is a far better Bleach end-boss.

Thats why Bach had history with Yamamoto, so it didnt feel like he came out of nowhere. But it still felt like that.

My money is on Aizen having pulled the old switch-a-roo on Bach, magicking himself up as him and trapping him in the chair.

My money is on Aizen having pulled the old switch-a-roo on Bach, magicking himself up as him and trapping him in the chair.

You mean when Bach visited him in his BDSM prison? Then how do you explain Bizen's actions? Why would he even bother with Ichigo?

Angry Grimace

Naruto

Dumb like everything else in this series now.

Bleach

Seems like Aizen wasn't involved with Masaki's death so I'm guessing Bach was somehow.

One Piece

Good chapter. Bartolomeo, Chinjao and Cavendish are all getting interesting.

Bach is just going to turn out to be Aizen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom