• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's actually not unusual, it's certainly cleaner this way isn't that far off from the original (which isn't a success either btw).

Huh, I thought 7 seeds was fairly successful in japan?

Her 7 Seeds covers are very boring. They are just the main characters standing around smiling.

That too, but I was more talking about her weird... airbrush? colour style.

Never been a huge fan of her coloured stuff.

Antiwhippy

I was talking about the logo, I'm pretty sure 7 seeds was a success in Japan or it would be shorter and no one would even have thought of taking the rights for the French market.

Oh alright, I thought you were talking about the performance of the manga in japan.

I'm actually surprised to learn that 7 Seeds is/was fairly successful in Japan.

7 Seeds won the 2007 Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo manga. The series is among the best-selling manga in Japan, having sold more than 10 million copies as of September 2008; volume 12 reached number 7 on the Tohan best-seller list and volume 13 reached number 10.

And the serialization was started way back in 2001? What?

Stinky

Hunter x Hunter 340

Well it looks like I'm in the same camp as you guys.

Looking forward to its return from hiatus.. that last two volumes after the Ant arc were incredible. Best post-arc arc since after the Marineford war in One Piece

Mael

Oh alright, I thought you were talking about the performance of the manga in japan.

I don't know 7 Seeds, as I said Kurita mentioning it is the reason I even know it was released here in the 1rst place.
Oh and don't fear OPM will be picked up here, after how well E21 did there's no way that a far more marketable product would be passed like that.

Antiwhippy

The voynich hotel 51-52

I seriously can't remember who emilia is at all. This manga has too many dang characters.

Fun seeing the devil's game being thwarted though.

Kurita

I don't know 7 Seeds, as I said Kurita mentioning it is the reason I even know it was released here in the 1rst place.
Oh and don't fear OPM will be picked up here, after how well E21 did there's no way that a far more marketable product would be passed like that.

Good to know that Eyeshield 21 did well, I wasn't aware of that. Releasing the databook Baller's High must be related to that since publishers aren't usually doing so.
And yeah I'm not too worried about OPM, hope someone will pick it up soon.

Heysoos

Naruto

That whole no heart thing doesn't seem very weird to me actually. That part of his body was completely crushed.

That said, that Sage of the Six Paths Naruto scene got me pretty fucking hyped. :O

Can you two, Kurita and Mael, please explain how it comes that manga are so incredibly popular in France? Whenever the question pops up if a manga was localized, France is a safe bet. It's really fascinating to me.

Kurita

Can you two, Kurita and Mael, please explain how it comes that manga are so incredibly popular in France? Whenever the question pops up if a manga was localized, France is a safe bet. It's really fascinating to me.

I guess it's because France always loved Japan.
Animes were huge in the 80s, kids loved Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball. Tons of people in their twenties/thirties grew up with animes.
I assume mangas were destined for the same success when they eventually appeared here.

Mael

Good to know that Eyeshield 21 did well, I wasn't aware of that.
And yeah I'm not too worried about OPM.

It's certainly not a disaster, they released it to the end and even pushed some additional data books.
The anime has been shown on GameOne and is being shown on D18 or some other TNT channel (the one with OnePiece).
It's clearly not Naruto, but for a manga based on something as alien to France as American Football they don't have any right to complain.
And looking at it Glénat Manga has quite a number of stuffs I read :
Akira,
Astro Boy,
Bastard!! (not really anymore -_-')
Berserk,
Bleach,
Buso Renkin,
Claymore,
Crying Freeman,
D-Grayman,
Dragon Ball,
Eyeshield 21,
Gunm,
Gunm Last order,
Gunsmith Cats (many of them),
Hoshin engi,
Ikkyu,
(they stopped Kurogane fairly quickly),
Nausicaa (the awesome manga you must read),
One Piece,
Ramna 1/2,
Reborn!(I don't read it but they do it),
Team Medical Dragon

They're even doing Sanctuary! I know what I'll buy now!
I actually prefer this kind of list wars.

Hm. Guess I need to go back then

The ugly side of the face = crushed part of the body.

vDJWlJx.png

Tail Star 14 - 15

I dont even know why I keep reading this or am so interested in it but Sanagi...can he become as powerful as a King Tail Hunter too and actually do significant damage on foes instead of being saved again and again and again...

I think Europeans are more receptive towards comics as an art form back then. America is coming around to that, but I don't think anyone can make much of an impact thanks to scanlations on the internet.

Not surprised 7 Seeds failed with that kind of cover. Hell, I ignored it the first time I saw that cover too.

Mael

Well...
French people actually buy manga.
This.
And I'd say it's thanks to Berlusconi (yes he was good for something) channel (la 5) that was getting stuffs from AB Production on the cheap.
So we got in the 80's some kilometres of mangas, because they were very cheap programming (and they really didn't care, I mean Hokuto no Ken at 10 am as a children's program?)

We, the people watching it, actually really loved it.
I mean a program like Club Dorothee became the channel to get to Dragon Ball and the others in the 90's and had somethng like 70% or marketshare.
Nothing ever came close, it's absolutely gigantic.

The rest is history and fairly easy, once you've got a fairly high number of people watching and liking your stuffs you only have to sell them stuffs related to the shows and you can go deeper from that (I mean here, there's still a viable market for Saint Seiya's pricey merchandising).

I'd even claim that gaming popularity at the time was related to that.
Since there's no stigma related to mangas for quite some time since you have such a large percent of the population liking and buying your stuffs, you only have to release good products and the free market will follow its course.

That's my take anyway.

Kurita

But isn't that true of most European countries?

Maybe animes were bigger in France? I honestly have no idea.
I mean, it's hard to explain precisely why they're popular, it just happened like that and never stopped :lol
Though sells have been decreasing over the past few years, "only" 13 millions mangas sold in 2012.

Antiwhippy

The first time I learnt about the huge otaku scene in france was nodame cantabile.

It's kind of interesting to see how foreign culture develops in different countries.

Mael

Maybe animes were bigger in France? I honestly have no idea.
I mean, it's hard to explain precisely why they're popular, it just happened like that and never stopped :lol
Though sells have been decreasing over the past few years, "only" 13 millions mangas sold in 2012.

I think we reacted more positively and more strongly than other European markets.
I mean AB production didn't get the reels from Japanese company, they got it from its Italian counterpart (and why Saint Seiya is not St Seiya but Chevalier du Zodiac btw).
Why it's not doing as well could be that the offer is declining as well.
I know that it's getting harder to find something to read here.

People at Jump are not the only one fearing the end of Naruto/Bleach.

upandaway

One Piece

It's gonna be hilarious when the punch hits someone strong head-on and nothing happens to him. Wonder who though.
I can't really say if Bartolomeo broke off the guy's hand mid-punch, or if the guy punched some kind of invisible barrier made his hand break.. but I'm guessing the former. Looks like a pretty crazy ability. Also that fishman is absolutely fodder if he rolls on the floor like a kid just because his hand broke :lol

Baldy is pretty cool. I'm really wondering how strong all these "past their prime" characters are because man, 500? That's a lot of bounty.

Zoe

Bleach 536

tumblr_mmhisugYzj1qbxqfpo1_250.png

?! :( Awkward moments at the start, how could Kubo draw that. The flashback of hollow Ichigo makes me wish he would return again...someday, I liked when hed be all powerful in that form and even attempting to talk, great voice filter.

Typo

Edit: Really insignificant, but it seems like Isshin took her name (and used it for the clinic) from the start.

I'll say, people in france REALLY love manga, so much that is sometimes hard to distinguish between japanese and french prduction, in both comics and cartoons. I watched a few french cartoons in my time, from asterix to Once Upon a Time... Life, and I follow a couple new series like Wakfu/Dofus. These series I mentioned somehow manage to grab some elements of mangas in terms of style (although older works like asterix may have been influenced from Disney comics more than anything else) while keeping a distinct european ''feeling'' in the way the worlds were built and the character behaved. I wish the italian comic scene was still this lively...most of the giants we managed to produce are gone now.

Mael

I'll say, people in france REALLY love manga, so much that is sometimes hard to distinguish between japanese and french prduction, in both comics and cartoons. I watched a few french cartoons in my time, from asterix to Once Upon a Time... Life, and I follow a couple new series like Wakfu/Dofus. These series I mentioned somehow manage to grab some elements of mangas in terms of style (although older works like asterix may have been influenced from Disney comics more than anything else) while keeping a distinct european ''feeling'' in the way the worlds were built and the character behaved. I wish the italian comic scene was still this lively...most of the giants we managed to produce are gone now.

There's even some mangas done by French people (manfra if you wanna know the term)

Kurita

Why it's not doing as well could be that the offer is declining as well.
I know that it's getting harder to find something to read here.

People at Jump are not the only one fearing the end of Naruto/Bleach.

Seems like there are more interesting seinen/josei (which are always put in the shojo category for some reason) mangas published now though, which attract more people not familiar with the medium. But yeah, clearly they can't outsell One Piece, Naruto and Fairy Tail...

Articalys

This week
Naruto <<<<< One Piece <<<<<<< Bleach

Kubo adds to the "obvious" twists (Isshin Shiba, Quincy Masaki) with something that nobody predicted (a different truth for Masaki's death). Looking forward to whatever it is.

One Piece continues with the usual fare which is fun enough.

I really just want Naruto to end with some cool final fights already. Even if we got all four Hokage back this is dragging on beyond belief.

Mael

Seems like there are more interesting seinen/josei (which are always put in the shojo category for some reason) mangas published now though, which attract more people not familiar with the medium. But yeah, clearly they can't outsell One Piece, Naruto and Fairy Tail...

Also Bleach probably fell of a cliff and that was HUGE here...
Also which seinen are you talking about? Most Seinen are labelled Seinen as far as I know....
Also Taniguchi is more popular here than in Japan :lol

Better than franga I guess :p

Follows the naming we use, like manhua for korean manga....
Yeah I don't get it either.

Kurita

Also Bleach probably fell of a cliff and that was HUGE here...
Also which seinen are you talking about? Most Seinen are labelled Seinen as far as I know....
Also Taniguchi is more popular here than in Japan :lol

I meant Josei labelled as Shojo! Stuff like Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Kamakura Diary... are considered as shojos. I've never seen publishers using the word Josei in France :lol

survivor

Banned
I meant Josei labelled as Shojo! Stuff like Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Kamakura Diary... are considered as shojos. I've never seen publishers using the word Josei in France :lol

It's probably just like the US where they figured it's not worth it to create a new marketing term for josei manga and just market them as shojo manga instead. It's not like anyone will know the difference.

One Piece 708

Old man actually interest me mostly because of his relationship with Garp. Cavendish as well but only for his sword.

Everyone else can disappear.

Mael

Ah! True, Josei is unheard of indeed.
I don't think it'll catch up though.
I don't know any of the one you named here though, gotta catch up I guess...

Kurita

It's probably just like the US where they figured it's not worth it to create a new marketing term for josei manga and just market them as shojo manga instead. It's not like anyone will know the difference.

That's probably it yeah.

There are weird decisions in France sometimes though. Like, Deadman Wonderland and Shingeki No Kyojin are considered as seinen...

Ah! True, Josei is unheard of indeed.
I don't think it'll catch up though.
I don't know any of the one you named here though, gotta catch up I guess...

Well yeah, there's not much point in introducing the term now, it's just a pet peeve of mine haha.
I highly recommend Kamakura Diary, first volume was released a few weeks ago.

Antiwhippy

Superheroes have moved on to the big screen. Doesn't mean that it'll boost comic sales, it's just that the audience shifted I think.

Though I probably should look up more hard numbers to make any judgements either way.

It's the US manga sales that are pretty pitiable.

O.O!
What the hell happened to the comic book industry in the US?

Comic sales were bad for long while and lets not even talk about manga sales in the USA.
While Bookscan does not take into account online sales or sales at non-bookstores .
Naruto Vol 56 sold 7000 plus first week , Bleach vol 40 sold 500 copies first week .
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-08/bookscan-manga-ranking-may-28-june-3

Even if you times those numbers by 10 or 20 to take in account online sales etc etc they so bad it funny .

I just remembered, anyone here read Excel Saga? The anime is nonsensical bullshit but I actually started reading the manga years ago and by the 10th volume it was shaping up to be a decent seinen. Unfortunately, it's impossible to find scans online, and the italian release stopped at the 11th volume (out of 27). I always wish someone would take it up but almost everyone who heard of it only know the anime (which, again, is just a nonsenseical comedy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom