• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rookies is pretty good just wish the translation werent so slow.

Binbougami Ga! 60--61

The extras were so good. Dat fanservice

The confession and Ichiko reaction to it was so good. Bobby was awesome lol.

Also dat Momiji at the end.

wonzo

Banned
Caramel Kitsch Flying Column 5
caramelkitsch5.png

God, do I love the art in this. It really does add another whimsical layer on-top of the already laid back (most of the time) nature of the story and setting.

Wiseblade

They're kind of intertwined.

See: Ippo

The act of being long doesn't make something inherently worse. What drags Ippo down us that Morikawa let the main cast stagnate for years. Being long means that a manga is more likely to outstay its welcome, but it's entirely possible for one not to.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The act of being long doesn't make something inherently worse. What drags Ippo down us that Morikawa let the main cast stagnate for years. Being long means that a manga is more likely to outstay its welcome, but it's entirely possible for one not to.
I can't name one, I'm sure there are some but they don't readily come to mind. Overly long stuff happens because of pacing issues, it's a symptom.

See: GRRM

survivor

Banned
I can't name one, I'm sure there are some but they don't readily come to mind. Overly long stuff happens because of pacing issues, it's a symptom.

Well here is a list of all the long running manga. I really don't see any manga in the top 100 that don't suffer from bad pacing or just long cause they are being milked for money.

Wiseblade

It's totally possible to have a story that takes a long time to tell and remains reasonably entertaining throughout. There's no rule that EVERY story MUST end within [insert timeframe here] or it immediately becomes "dragged out".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well here is a list of all the long running manga. I really don't see any manga in the top 100 that don't suffer from bad pacing or just long cause they are being milked for money.
Yeah this is a huge point.
It's totally possible to have a story that takes a long time to tell and remains reasonably entertaining throughout. There's no rule that EVERY story MUST end within [insert timeframe here] or it immediately becomes "dragged out".

It doesn't happen very often. An author who can maintain a single cohesive story (or consecutive closely linked stories) would be a fearsome author indeed. I fully grant that it's possible but it's rare because it's hard, and it's not unreasonable to assume that if a series is long, it's not because the author wants it to be, but because of commercial/editorial reasons.

You're right, just because something is "long" doesn't mean it's bad. Bad stories are bad. But the overwhelming majority of stories with poor pacing are long, and even shorter stories sometimes have pacing issues as well. So it's expected that people raise their eyebrows whenever they see the chapter counter tick over 1000.
Based araki know his shit, laughing to the rest. Surprised anyone else not come with their formula.
He does a soft reset of the universe for every story (and a hard reset ever since SBR).

It's no more a "single story" than Discworld is.

Kurita

Of course, I just wasn't sure.

I really don't understand how anyone could prefer E21 over Slam Dunk. May I ask why?

I prefer football over basketball.
I prefer Eyeshield 21's art over Slam Dunk's.
I prefer Eyeshield 21's characters over Slam Dunk's.

That's all.

Stinky

Is Slam Dunk really that good?

I think I like Eyeshield as much as Kurita does so I can't imagine it could be as quality as you guys are hyping it up to be.

And does REAL compare at all?

Kurita

I think I like Eyeshield as much as Kurita does so I can't imagine it could be as quality as you guys are hyping it up to be.

REAL isn't really comparable to them.
It's a fantastic series though, amazing characters and some really emotional stuff.

survivor

Banned

first 5 volumes of REAL destroy first 5 volumes of Slam Dunk. They don't even compare.

Stinky

You guys didnt even mention it when you were having a tiff about best sports manga! Is wheelchair basketball not a sport or somethin'???

I guess it will always live in its brother's shadow.

I read the first volume a while back and it was pretty good, I'm going to read it again when I have the time to read through the rest at a regular pace.

Kurita

Slam Dunk is kind of low on the quality department, Real is even worst, I would approach it with great caution.

smh

You guys didnt even mention it when you were having a tiff about best sports manga! Is wheelchair basketball not a sport or somethin'???

I read the first volume and it was pretty good, I'm going to read it again when I have the time to read it regularly.

It's not entirely focused on wheelchair basketball, that's why.
And yeah, it's not a shounen.

fertygo

He does a soft reset of the universe for every story (and a hard reset ever since SBR).

It's no more a "single story" than Discworld is.

Yeah, I point that out looking that list why no one else thinking some method for their long manga, other than manga with gag element.

survivor

Banned

I read the first volume and it was pretty good, I'm going to read it again when I have the time to read it regularly.

I think the discussion was limited to shounen sports. If not, then REAL and Ping Pong are the best sports manga.

Stinky

Ping Pong

I used to always think of the Boku to Issho guy's (Minoru Furuya's) Ping-Pong Club when you brought that up.

Imma read this also

wouldn't call REAL a sports manga. it heavily features sports but I feel like calling it a sports manga discredits it a bit.

I agree. I see it as a slice of life manga featuring basketball.
And it is full of feels. God... so many feels.

cool.

Yonafunu

I prefer football over basketball.
I prefer Eyeshield 21's art over Slam Dunk's.
I prefer Eyeshield 21's characters over Slam Dunk's.

That's all.

So I'm the complete opposite on everything you just said. The cast of characters is just amazing, better than E21 imo. I also prefer Inoue's art.
best artist in the industry

Best sports manga there is, and one of the best manga I've ever read.

eyeshield's art is probably a lil better than Slam Dunk's but Inoue's improved so much since then.

Then again I'm not a big fan of Murata's art in the first place.

REAL kinda kills every other manga in the art department though.

Yonafunu

Slam Dunk and E21's art are in no way comparable.
Murata's art is much much more stylized, in every way. It's flashy, exciting shonen-ish. Not in bad way, it's just very obvious.
Inoue's art is much more realistic. It's not flashy at all, more slow and deliberate.
I hope that made sense, I suck at this

It's different in paneling as well, not to mention the sports depicted are very different and require different depictions.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Slam Dunk and E21's art are in no way comparable.
Murata's art is much much more stylized, in every way. It's flashy, exciting shonen-ish. Not in bad way, it's just very obvious.
Inoue's art is much more realistic. It's not flashy at all, more slow and deliberate.
I hope that made sense, I suck at this

It's different in paneling as well, not to mention the sports depicted are very different and require different depictions.
I canceled my SJ sub when they started trying to cram Slam Dunk down my throat.

dumbyugi

Sisterism END

It was implied that they ate all the chocolate off each other and some of the chocolate was on some lewd areas, so did they have sex or did they just stop when all the chocolate was gone? I hope the author does end up doing a sequal becuase I want to see them become a couple. This was a fun yuri story, 8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom