• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I might have a problem guys, I just sat down writing all the series that I've either had interest in reading or seen you guys reading and want to check out and oh god what have I done.

Currently Reading: Monster

To Read:

Air Gear
Aku no Hana
Baby Steps
Beelzebub
Black Butler
Buso Renkin
Detective Conan
Dr. Slump
Elfen Lied
Eyeshield 21
Fist of the North Star
Gantz
Gintama
Hellsing
High School of the Dead
Inuyasha
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Kekkaishi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Prince of Tennis
Psyren
Ranma 1/2
Rave Master
Reborn!
Sailor Moon
Saint Seiya
Shaman King
Silver Spoon
Slam Dunk
Soul Eater
The World God Only Knows
Trigun/Maximum
To Love-Ru/Darkness
Zettai Karen Children

What have I done D:

dumbyugi

Don't waste your time with Black Buttler and Reborn, they're both pretty bad. Prince of Tennis is bad as well but I know some people like it's over-the-top style.

survivor

Banned
To Love-Ru? Why?
Rave Master? The manga by the acclaimed author, Mashima, behind the masterpiece, Fairy Tail? Again, why?

Also god help you trying to finish Detective Conan. This is one series you don't ever wanna marathon.

I generally agree with you but I still have to put Touch ahead of CG.

Touch is a step behind Rough and Cross Game because I don't think Adachi's particular style has developed fully yet. There's a bit too much explicit stating of the themes going on, especially when the delinquent friend is involved ("take the stage, Tatsuya!"), where later Adachi is more subtle. I still think it's really good and rate it as the third best of his series, but it's a bit too typical sports shounen in parts for me.

Also, Aoba Tsukishima>>all others.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To Love-Ru? Why?
Rave Master? The manga by the acclaimed author, Mashima, behind the masterpiece, Fairy Tail? Again, why?

Also god help you trying to finish Detective Conan. This is one series you don't ever wanna marathon.

It's not that bad. It's sort of like watching a marathon of some procedural cop show.

So I might have a problem guys, I just sat down writing all the series that I've either had interest in reading or seen you guys reading and want to check out and oh god what have I done.

Currently Reading: Monster

To Read:

Air Gear
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Reborn!

Thats it? I have 110 on my wishlist to read . In any event, you should move those three up front to tackle first, there are all worth it, especially reborn.

I would also drop Zettai Karen Children and instead check out courtesy of Zettai Karen Children - The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyousuke. Its a fantastic anime with an excellent character cast and interaction. The OP song too is great (Last Resolution)

Don't waste your time with Black Buttler and Reborn, they're both pretty bad. Prince of Tennis is bad as well but I know some people like it's over-the-top style.

I have IRL friends who really like BB so I have pressure from them to check it out. The other two I could go either way on their pretty low in my queue of things to check out

There, done.

Those are all series that are higher in my queue, Eyeshield 21 is next unless something comes out of nowhere to steal my attention

dumbyugi

To Love-Ru? Why?

Rave Master is actually pretty decent, though it's far from the best series on that list. It's at the very least better than Fairy Tail.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Those are all series that are higher in my queue, Eyeshield 21 is next unless something comes out of nowhere to steal my attention

You are a good man. Just put Sandman somewhere near the top.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Basforever, you need to read hellsing.

Like, right now.

Immediately.

It's probably my favourite over-the-top violent seinen action series.

survivor

Banned
It's not that bad. It's sort of like watching a marathon of some procedural cop show.

There is only so many Law and Order episodes I can watch before getting burned out.

I marathoned Conan on two separate occasions and both times I had to call it quits after 100 or so chapters. Its episodic nature really doesn't play well if you are gonna be reading 10 volumes very quickly.

To Love-Ru? Why?

I mean I enjoy Fairy Tail despite being incredibly average it's also pretty consistent. I'm also a huge Sherlock Holmes/mystery buff which is why I want to check out Conan. Yeah I know it's a black hole that never ends but I'm still going to take that dive eventually.

Thats it? I have 110 on my wishlist to read . In any event, you should move those three up front to tackle first, there are all worth it, especially reborn.

I would also drop Zettai Karen Children and instead check out courtesy of Zettai Karen Children - The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyousuke. Its a fantastic anime with an excellent character cast and interaction. The OP song too is great (Last Resolution)

I've been meaning to watch The Unlimited as it looks fantastic and I've heard lots of positive things about it, I'm just afraid watching it will spoil ZKC which is why I've put it on hold. I won't lie Reborn probably wouldn't be on my list at all if it wasn't for you DTL so whenever I get around to reading it I'll let you know my thoughts especially lol

Tell me. These friends. Are they female?

Yeah lol which does leave me a bit concerned though they did introduce me to Hetalia which I really enjoy so I'll give them the benefit.

I would prioritize these over the others.

Seems like everyone more or less is recommending the same series to check out.

Basforever, you need to read hellsing.

Like, right now.

Immediately.

It's probably my favourite over-the-top violent seinen action series.

I own and have watched Hellsing Ultimate 1-8 English Dub, I'm kind of waiting for 9 and 10 to come out in English before I read it.

Antiwhippy

If I said that I read black butler for the plot would people believe me?

I own and have watched Hellsing Ultimate 1-8 English Dub, I'm kind of waiting for 9 and 10 to come out in English before I read it.

Huh, if you did it already than maybe you don't need to read it. The ultimate series are shockingly faithful to the manga.

Huh, if you did it already than maybe you don't need to read it. The ultimate series are shockingly faithful to the manga.

It's more of a once 9/10 are out I'd sit down one night and just power hour the manga version for completion sake.

I've never met anyone who reads Black Butler for the plot.

What do people read BB for then? Honestly I know almost nothing about the series outside of young boy had evil devil as his butler

Akito

Touch is a step behind Rough and Cross Game because I don't think Adachi's particular style has developed fully yet. There's a bit too much explicit stating of the themes going on, especially when the delinquent friend is involved ("take the stage, Tatsuya!"), where later Adachi is more subtle. I still think it's really good and rate it as the third best of his series, but it's a bit too typical sports shounen in parts for me.

Also, Aoba Tsukishima>>all others.
But Tatsuya >>> all others :D
Oh, I know that Cross Game is Adachi's most refined manga so far but I cannot help but having a soft spot for Touch and I'm not sure why, it's not even my first Adachi manga.

Antiwhippy

I've never met anyone who reads Black Butler for the plot.

Well yeah, there are some... Side benefits, but I've read enough that I'm invested in seeing how ciel and Sebastian will resolve that whole selling the soul thing even though the plot gets increasingly dumb. In a fun way.

What do people read BB for then? Honestly I know almost nothing about the series outside of young boy had evil devil as his butler

Bishis and shotas.

If I said that I read black butler for the plot would people believe me?

I would since I also did at one point (
stopped reading after the true revelations of his staff during that attack on the mansion
). I think I stopped since the trans group caught up or something.

I've been meaning to watch The Unlimited as it looks fantastic and I've heard lots of positive things about it, I'm just afraid watching it will spoil ZKC which is why I've put it on hold. I won't lie Reborn probably wouldn't be on my list at all if it wasn't for you DTL so whenever I get around to reading it I'll let you know my thoughts especially lol

It does spoil aspects as certain people will appear that you have no idea about.

there is only one reason DTL is pushing this lol

survivor

Banned
hnnggghhh
dPNINEM.jpg

This is the cover for the Nisekoi novel I think? I have no idea why this shit is getting a novel, does anyone give a damn about the writing?

Joujuu Senjin!! Mushibugyo 20

Still focused on Koikawa's anime story for at least 1-2 more chapters.

Although this time, there's a full appearance of the villain controlling the Mantis.

The most? That would be quite peculiar even though he's indeed quite stupid entertaining.

Ah yes, I remember you posting about it. Sound like a fun idea but it's not like it will ever get translated.

Even if it does most fan translated novels are unreadable

survivor

Banned
Even if it does most fan translated novels are unreadable

That pretty face, which is always smiling! The person with a Japanese atmosphere! The one who is called Yamato Nadeshiko even though she is a student, and also one of our school idols, Himejima Akeno-senpai!

The person who, along with Rias-senpai, is said to be one of the “Two Great Onee-samas”!

The person who is idolized by both male and female students!

“Ara ara. Hello, my name is Himejima Akeno. Pleased to make your acquaintance.”

Rias-senpai is laughing as if she finds me really amusing.

“Ara ara. It’s just like you said Buchou. He does make me feel like, “I think I have a very idiotic brother now”.”

Even Himejima-senpai is laughing while saying “Ufufu”.

Ahaha, she is kind of saying bad things about me.

“Anyway, Ise. You are alright with being my servant, right? If you have potential, then you will eventually stand out. And then, you might be able to receive a peerage.”

“Yes, Rias-senpai!”

“Wrong. You will have to call me ‘Buchou’.”

“Buchou? Can’t I call you Onee-sama?”

I got carried away and ask her.

I always wanted a “Onee-sama”. It’s not even a yuri situation, but all of the guys have a desire to call an older beauty a “Onee-sama”
Such a great translation. Jay Rubin wishes he was this good.

wonzo

Banned
Sinbad 4

Yeah, this is just fleshing out the events of the Prologue chapter. Not that I'm complaining as it's actually more entertaining than the Main series currently is. lol

The themes in this chapter were a bit odd.
The illegal definitely did something to her dad which is most likely also messing with her in some way.

Such a great translation. Jay Rubin wishes he was this good.

what the fuck is this shit?

Zettai Karen Children

What is happening now? (spoilers are just questions i'm asking so if someone current on it could answer feel free to)

Is the bleak alternate future thing still on

Is Minamoto still in denial?

Jintor

I wonder if there's a market niche for translating fan-made translations into readable english

Hell, there might even be room with the official Haruhi light novels

dumbyugi

Zettai Karen Children

What is happening now? (spoilers are just questions i'm asking so if someone current on it could answer feel free to)

Is the bleak alternate future thing still on

Is Minamoto still in denial?

Yes to the first and kinda to the second. It's currently in a flashback about the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom