• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Probably too long and they don't think it'll sell well enough.

I can imagine even if they did license it, they'll probably cancel it halfway through and sweep it under the rug and pretend it never existed.

I don't know man, they published Sensei No Bulge (Barrage)... Sure it was short but I think people are more interested in Beelzebub.

survivor

Banned
I'm guessing the US can't handle Baby Beel's penis.

While this is probably a valid reason early on, I'd guess right now the bigger issue is the high volumes count. With 20 volumes and counting, Viz probably isn't looking forward to stuffing bookshelves with Beelzebub volumes. Beside, this is not a series that can do numbers like Magi so that's even less reason for them to go after it.

Kurita

Publishers in the USA make weird decisions heh.
But I don't really know how the market is so I can't really comment on that.

Melancholy Melancholic Melancholinist 1
tumblr_mn47tf4Z9Y1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Probably the series in the genre with the oldest protagonist I encountered, Chief Ogata, whose old enough to even have a daughter. Though somehow it is kind of a compelling premise with the awesome Dentist, if only. Funny and good start though so short. I wonder how things will go.

I think it is mostly that bookstores (whatever ones still exists) aren't too open about stuffing their shelves with long series anymore. And it's a gamble with publishers to release a bunch of volumes if they won't sell.

That's pretty much why you see omnibus volumes being much more popular as a form of release since it's technically 'one' volume and the buyers like it for being cheaper than buying the volumes individually.

Village

Market for anime and manga?

I would geuss

fno.png

You see the bottom row will be advertised for to kids and teens for decades. The top row... eh...

survivor

Banned
I think it is mostly that bookstores (whatever ones still exists) aren't too open about stuffing their shelves with long series anymore. And it's a gamble with publishers to release a bunch of volumes if they won't sell.

That's pretty much why you see omnibus volumes being much more popular as a form of release since it's technically 'one' volume and the buyers like it for being cheaper than buying the volumes individually.

Yep, I think even Vertical and Yen Press talked about that. Basically all long running series aren't very financially viable to them due to shelve space and licensing fees so they either go omnibus route or just pick up short manga.

Kurita

Yep, I think even Vertical and Yen Press talked about that. Basically all long running series aren't very financially viable to them due to shelve space and licensing fees so they either go omnibus route or just pick up short manga.

And yet they don't publish Punpun in the USA!

I didn't know it was that popular to begin with. It's a pretty old series.

A popular old series, I understand why people buy the new editions. Same thing happens in France where a new edition is published.

I dont know what is even financially viable to Vertical, arent they, yet again, this year in the Red, and even their big fancy Gundam release, unfortunately didnt do as large as people expected. I wonder if they'll be gone in x years unless they can keep selling sudoku books and etc.

Something France can be proud of.
Like the equivalent exchange, I felt like we lost something precious in the process
lol
True :lol But there's a lot of crap though so...
Worst are the Franga (French manga), they're for the most part terribad. A lot of them were published at Soleil for a time when manga became trendy again

Geez, what's causing the thread to move at early Wednesday pace on Monday afternoon?
Smut.

Switch Girl 6
What a genre savvy protagonist ? In my shoujo ?

A popular old series, I understand why people buy the new editions. Same thing happens in France where a new edition is published.

It makes me question the age of the manga demographic in the US. I can see younger people buying stuff like Bleach or Death Note, but Sailor Moon doesn't really fit in there.

I dont know what is even financially viable to Vertical, arent they, yet again, this year in the Red, and even their big fancy Gundam release, unfortunately didnt do as large as people expected. I wonder if they'll be gone in x years unless they can keep selling sudoku books and etc.

That would explain why they basically can't license anything long or popular.

survivor

Banned
I think Shojo sells more than Shonen last time i look at a list .
Vertical twitter account talked about this one time. He basically said the top shounen titles like Naruto or Death note sell much better than everything else and nothing really comes close. But if you look at average sales then shoujo stuff tend to do better on average. And he also mentioned how bookstores are trying to get the YA crowd to pick up shoujo manga.

And yet they don't publish Punpun in the USA!
It's a shame the Viz Signature lineup is dead so we are getting very few good seinen manga from them. I have no idea how Sunny is getting published. I'd imagine there is a big Taiyo Matsumoto fanboy working there who has nude pictures of Viz's CEO and can blackmail him to license more Matsumoto manga.

There is always doom and gloom talk from their PR guy lol I think the next year they are changing their strategy to only picking up 1-2 volumes manga and seeing how that will fare for them.

There is always doom and gloom talk from their PR guy lol I think the next year they are changing their strategy to only picking up 1-2 volumes manga and seeing how that will fare for them.

Perhaps Knights of Sidonia once its anime comes can somehow help stimulate their sales like Flowers of Evil might have done....

Though only thing in Vertical's catalog that has appealed to me was Gundam and Heroman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom