• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Man, you weren't kidding. That's crazy...
And sad.

Comic book sales in general aren't very good.
Even with the cinematic boom, comic book sales are still pretty weak.
DC tried to get some new customers with the New 52, and while sales increased, they went back down. Doesn't help the New 52 is pretty shit.

Manga is certainly not better. The biggest promotion a manga can have is the anime, and after Toonami died back in 2008, anime was reserved for the internet and nerds. Nobody was putting it on TV, and any that existed was Yu-Gi-Oh sequels, Pokemon, or anything else made to sell toys. Will we see an increase in sales now that Toonami is back? Maybe.

I'd buy One Piece if they got rid of "Zolo" after all these years. It's stupid that they won't, citing BOTH "consistency" and "avoiding confusion with the Zorro comics". Both are bullcrap excuses as he was originally Zoro and only changed after the 4Kids dub came into the picture... 5-6 volumes in. OOPS!

DC tried to get some new customers with the New 52, and while sales increased, they went back down. Doesn't help the New 52 is pretty shit.

For me it's understandable, considering the way Marvel and DC handled their franchises. I know we talked about this few times here, but it's really not easy to just pick an X-Men comic and start reading. So many versions, universes, what is canon what isn't and all that, instead of always starting fresh.

Imagine if Bleach would run 60 years, written and drawn by different authors and artists. Who would want to read that?

Manga is certainly not better. The biggest promotion a manga can have is the anime, and after Toonami died back in 2008, anime was reserved for the internet and nerds. Nobody was putting it on TV, and any that existed was Yu-Gi-Oh sequels, Pokemon, or anything else made to sell toys. Will we see an increase in sales now that Toonami is back? Maybe.

I'd buy One Piece if they got rid of "Zolo" after all these years. It's stupid that they won't, citing BOTH "consistency" and "avoiding confusion with the Zorro comics". Both are bullcrap excuses as he was originally Zoro and only changed after the 4Kids dub came into the picture... 5-6 volumes in. OOPS!

yep that is the reason i won't ever buy OP over here unless they change the name back .

The highest Vol of Naruto on that list is 4000 copies maybe it just better for them to go all digital at the point .
Still that will most likely cause problems with Japan so i don't see it happening .

For Viz as part of Shuisha and etc, I still think here is just like extra money for them or something, since all their series in JPN are bringing in so much money, what do they have to lose for being over here and go all digital with such sales? I wish Reborn was getting 4000 copies, I bet theyd still be publishing it if it did.

BatDan

For me it's understandable, considering the way Marvel and DC handled their franchises. I know we talked about this few times here, but it's really not easy to just pick an X-Men comic and start reading. So many versions, universes, what is canon what isn't and all that, instead of always starting fresh.

Imagine if Bleach would run 60 years, written and drawn by different authors and artists. Who would want to read that?

Exactly this. Series run by a single creator are often better in that they stay consistent and the creator knows what they're doing. Not always the case (Cerebus) but there's a pretty strong argument for it.

I know Marvel has tried their own relaunch with "Marvel NOW", claiming that they will be easy for new readers to "pick up and read". Except Spider-Man is now Otto Octavius and Peter Parker is dead. IDIOTS!

survivor

Banned

We need more shit like this
HyITBjH.jpg

And less stories about boring superheroes.

Kurita

Funny that you mention this issue.
The French publisher announced recently that they'll be releasing a new One Piece edition with fixed names, better translation...
And there's already 66 volumes out here.

HyITBjH.jpg

Oh my god, yes! I loved them as a kid! I still have about 20 volumes or so.

Exactly this. Series run by a single creator are often better in that they stay consistent and the creator knows what they're doing. Not always the case (Cerebus) but there's a pretty strong argument for it.

I know Marvel has tried their own relaunch with "Marvel NOW", claiming that they will be easy for new readers to "pick up and read". Except Spider-Man is now Otto Octavius and Peter Parker is dead. IDIOTS!

The new Hawkeye series is the only western comic series that genuinely interests me right now and only because it seems to be drastically different.

tumblr_mc1qf1pxei1qzcr1s4v.png

If you haven't read it yet, Hawkeye (the series) is basically about what Clint Barton does on his days off. He does shit like get in car chases with an awesome Dodge Challenger, fuck up Russian douchebag slum lords, have sex with hot redheads, piss off the criminal underworld, fix satellite dishes and shit, etc. Basically, what does the ordinary, non-powered dude do when he's not on mission. He basically does good stuff, chills out, and hangs out with his equally skilled protege. It's like the greatest superhero television series that has never been made. Feels a lot more grounded than most superhero series I read (I don't really stray outside of the few comic series I've grown attached to like American Vampire and Punisher, so it's a real treat).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496272&highlight=hawkeye

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ultimate Spiderman is good.

And they should get Neil Gaiman to do that Sandman sequel or whatever.

The French publisher announced recently that they'll be releasing a new One Piece edition with fixed names, better translation...

Kind of feel bad for the people who already own all the volumes...The publishers is behind us in Bakuman but at the same volume of One Piece america is at?

BatDan

HyITBjH.jpg

I heard the recent Darkwing Duck comic is really good, acting as a continuation of the cartoon.

I remember Viz editor Alexis Kirsch said that they would release a special edition of One Piece, but only if it sells really damn well or ends. I guess we won't be getting that special edition for a loooong time then...

For Viz as part of Shuisha and etc, I still think here is just like extra money for them or something, since all their series in JPN are bringing in so much money, what do they have to lose for being over here and go all digital with such sales? I wish Reborn was getting 4000 copies, I bet theyd still be publishing it if it did.
Well for books like that I wish that they did a preorder system that is done for toys. I'd pay list, maybe even a slight premium for series that way. A series like Slver Spoon only has seven volumes out, why aren't they jumping on it?

Azure J

Soul Eater 110

HOLY FUCK.

Death The Kid with the stupid powerful upgrade (;___;), Black Star officially recognized as a god level character, and that ending...

Need next chapter like right fucking now. This is the endgame.

I remember Viz editor Alexis Kirsch said that they would release a special edition of One Piece, but only if it sells really damn well or ends. I guess we won't be getting that special edition for a loooong time then...

Id rather have more color walks and the databooks than a special edition. I cant just be kept with two Colorwalks and the dvds and thats it :(

Lain

I didn't know it was that popular to begin with. It's a pretty old series.

The rights for Sailor Moon had been frozen for many years and only recently they became available again, which was the perfect time to make a new edition of Sailor Moon for the western world, and it sold well everywhere.

The rights for Sailor Moon had been frozen for many years and only recently they became available again, which was the perfect time to make a new edition of Sailor Moon for the western world, and it sold well everywhere.

I wonder if the true version of the anime will return also (one of the first series that taught me about anime censorship in the US LOL).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just had the new bacon habanero ranch sandwich at work that shit is mad spicy dog woooo!

And is there any reason we still have Medaka box in the top 10 considering it finished?

We're almost done with this thread, it'll get taken out in the new one. No reason to change the OP now.

Kurita

They released it in Italy, too?

The point of the top 10 is what are the most read series correct? As much as I love Toriko I feel like it never gets dicussed at all by the few of us who read it weekly.

I'd say Ass Class beats them both, when it comes to that. Not that I'd want it to see in the banner anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Does anyone *really* care what makes the banner that people read for the first 4 pages of the thread and then forget about

Now I might be wrong, because I don't follow it that closely, but I don't see more Silver Spoon discussion in this thread than Ass Class or Toriko, and SS made it in that banner.

Does anyone *really* care what makes the banner that people read for the first 4 pages of the thread and then forget about

We spent like 5 pages discussing who had the most amount of post life time across manGAF history, I'd say discussing the top 10 of the thread is far more topical then that

Kurita

Now I might be wrong, because I don't follow it that closely, but I don't see more Silver Spoon discussion in this thread than Ass Class or Toriko, and SS made it in that banner.

Well Silver Spoon is monthly while Toriko and AssClass are weekly. Obviously Silver Spoon will get less discussion.

EDIT : wait I'm stupid, nvm, I really thought it was monthly heh

I do.
And there's also a good list of recommendations in the OP.

Wiseblade

You are wrong. But a lot of people do read Toriko, and far less of them are reading it ironically like they do with Fairy Tail.

You are wrong. But a lot of people do read Toriko, and far less of them are reading it ironically like they do with Fairy Tail.

Thank god this means nothing, coming from you.

But seriously, maybe we should have a banner with recommended manga instead. I know Swagamoto and 7 Seeds were in it at some point and they're out again. That's pretty sad.

Twilight New Moon v1
tumblr_mn4ditpsc21qbxqfpo1_500.png

A gift from the Gods indeed, though I think Edward easily wins out for better design in this cant get into Jacob as much. However Seth is kind of cool with Jacob even if time was short. Victoria Laurent part for concluding events was well done and keeps me dying in anticipation for the second volume which I guess is coming in 2014 :/

One Punch Man 17
tumblr_mn4dgiah591qbxqfpo1_500.png

I guess there is the gif to post but it kind of doesnt show the page I thought was one of the best ones yet. Genos is simply amazing and ought to be the true main character. Truly one of the greatest characters ever envisioned. Will miss him so much when this is over. Why cant more characters have epic beam attacks, high speed skills, and even physical skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom