• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoilers for Harry Potter 7

Burbage, Tonk's father, Scrimgeour, Hedwig, Mad-eye, Wormtail, Dobby, Crabbe, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Snape, Colin Crevey, Bellatrix Lestrange, and Voldemort

Some of them seem like they were killed just to be killed to create some kind of tension of "oh who's going to live in the end"

One of the many reasons why the series went downhill after book 5.

Book 7 was just awful.

And don't get me started on that tacked on romance that came out of nowhere for pretty much all parties involved.

survivor

Banned
Spoilers for Harry Potter 7

Burbage, Tonk's father, Scrimgeour, Hedwig, Mad-eye, Wormtail, Dobby, Crabbe, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Snape, Colin Crevey, Bellatrix Lestrange, and Voldemort

Some of them seem like they were killed just to be killed to create some kind of tension of "oh who's going to live in the end"
Yeah I got that feeling a lot when reading book 7, especially when something like this

someone
Killed
someone
Spoilers
Yea
plus one of the Twins who was fighting with another brother but yet he (other brother) survived the event that could have taken both of them

happened.

survivor

Banned
Speaking of her, anyone bothered to check out the Harry Potter manga? :lol

R8PyZaF.png

Is this from a doujin or did Yen Press make a Harry Potter manga that I'm unaware of?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One of the many reasons why the series went downhill after book 5.

Book 7 was just awful.

And don't get me started on that tacked on romance that came out of nowhere for pretty much all parties involved.

C'mon son. All of the books are great. ALL OF THEM.

I assume you're talking about Ginny becoming a fucking Mary Sue in Book 6. Its kind of funny that Ginny actually develops from a fairly round, interesting character into a totally uninteresting Mary Sue obvious-JK Rowling self-insert..

Akito

Haikyuu 41
First match is a wrap but I'm more excited for the second, would be the first hurdle for Karasuno to overcome and from the reputation though Asahi's flashback not a small one.

Nah.

1, 3, and 4 are of a higher quality than the rest.

But then again I haven't read them in a while so uh, yeah.

This was my least favorite book up until the ending which went a long way to redeeming the book but it's hard to forgive 85% of nothing for 15% of amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Come at me.

5-7 are fucking amazing and I will argue about this until I draw my dying breath. The fact that I can find stuff to criticize them for doesn't mean they aren't awesome.

Man I can't even rank them they all rule except for 2, which has its place.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
5-7 are fucking amazing and I will argue about this until I draw my dying breath. The fact that I can find stuff to criticize them for doesn't mean they aren't awesome.

Yeesh.

Just start with Horcuxes, go to with half of seven being journey across nothing land, end with Harry jesus and the forced, fan fiction epilogue.

Honestly though, it's mainly 7 that my problems lie with. I don't think she ever touched the beauty that was 3, but 4, 5 and 6 definitely had their moments.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

5 was okay and I remember it being boring. 6 was awesome. 7 sucked.

You're wrong. Oh well.

3>>>>>>>>4>>>>1>6>>>>>5>2>>7

Come at me.

i hope you are not a
Harry/Hermoine
fan :p

Don't give a fuck what Rowling says.

The way she wrote those two was clearly set up for *something* to happen.Like brother/sister? Yeah, okay. GTFO. You don't have millions of fans interpreting pretty much the same thing and then turn around and try and call them stupid for not seeing that it was *obvious* at how it was gonna turn out.

To my dying breath I'll say Rowling changed her mind at some point on that shit, the reasons of which we'll probably never know.

Yonafunu

Berserk Golden Age

Well, I finally decided to continue with Berserk. Turns out I'd stopped just before Golden Age, so that's a perfect place to pick it back up.
I have to say it's great to see Gutts' past, especially with the Hawks. Griffith is a very intersting character so far, and I love his interaction with Gutts. Miura does a good job of getting you very curious about what happens with the two, especially with the Egg showing up, and introducing Griffith as a demon, before introducing him as a human.

Also, Prisoner of Azkaban is the best, obviously.

Angry Grimace

Don't give a fuck what Rowling says.

The way she wrote those two was clearly set up for *something* to happen.Like brother/sister? Yeah, okay. GTFO. You don't have millions of fans interpreting pretty much the same thing and then turn around and try and call them stupid for not seeing that it was *obvious* at how it was gonna turn out.

To my dying breath I'll say Rowling changed her mind at some point on that shit, the reasons of which we'll probably never know.

I honestly don't think it was there. I think millions of fans interpreted it that way because the main character are a single female and 2 single males, so a large number of fans are going to "see something" there. Harry himself made it pretty obvious he wasn't interested the entire time.

Yeesh.

Just start with Horcuxes, go to with half of seven being journey across nothing land, end with Harry jesus and the forced, fan fiction epilogue.

Honestly though, it's mainly 7 that my problems lie with. I don't think she ever touched the beauty that was 3, but 4, 5 and 6 definitely had their moments.

Oh its on. The epilogue sucked but its inclusion only existed because Rowling indulged herself in shoehorning in some stuff she wrote like a decade in advance. Its also super short and has practically nothing to do with the book's narrative.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
5 was okay and I remember it being boring. 6 was awesome. 7 sucked.

You're wrong. Oh well.

3>>>>>>>>4>>>>1>6>>>>>5>2>>7

Come at me.

We may not agree about Bleach and OP, but damn you've got it right here.

Everything after 3 is kinda mismatched though, it's been a while.

Soriku

Who wants good characters to stay dead in manga and anime, thats kind of a terrible thing to do to fans.

If it's necessary for the sake of story, I'm all for it. Byakuya dying would've been good for some Rukia and Renji development too. His death was entirely set up. But NOPE, someone freaked out about it and Kubo changed it.

Stupid.

As for Harry Potter, didn't know
Arthur was supposed to die...that's interesting. The Molly vs. Bellatrix scene could've even been expanded on with that plot point. Killing Lupin and Tonks is just cruel though lol.

Also 7 part two was the best HP movie. I had to watch it twice to come to that conclusion though. I thought 2 and 4 were the best before then (yes, 2. Come at me. So underrated.)

Angry Grimace

I honestly don't even get what's to love about 3 over 4-7. I love 3, but what about it is so much more special than 4-7?

If it's necessary for the sake of story, I'm all for it. Byakuya dying would've been good for some Rukia and Renji development too. His death was entirely set up. But NOPE, someone freaked out about it and Kubo changed it.

Stupid.

As for Harry Potter, didn't know
Arthur was supposed to die...that's interesting. The Molly vs. Bellatrix scene could've even been expanded on with that plot point. Killing Lupin and Tonks is just cruel though lol.

Also 7 part two was the best HP movie. I had to watch it twice to come to that conclusion though. I thought 2 and 4 were the best before then (yes, 2. Come at me. So underrated.)

I hated the fact that the movie left the explanation for why the events which comprised the climax of the entire series until after it actually happened, which was not what happened in the book.
However, Harry snapping the wand made way more sense than putting it back with DD.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I honestly don't think it was there. I think millions of fans interpreted it that way because the main character are a single female and 2 single males, so a large number of fans are going to "see something" there. Harry himself made it pretty obvious he wasn't interested the entire time.

Oh its on. The epilogue sucked but its inclusion only existed because Rowling indulged herself in shoehorning in some stuff she wrote like a decade in advance. Its also super short and has practically nothing to do with the book's narrative.

Right, but what about the other two I through out? Horcruxes always felt shoehorned into the story and not as built up as I'd like it to be if it was going to be such an integral part. It lacked oomph and reeked of "Oh, this is how he will win!". Then again, I know she says it was always planned, I just wish there were more actual hints.

Outside of that, the first half of 7 really sucks. I've never read it again just based off the fact that I can shut my brain off for one read, but on two I'm going to be so critical things will start to stick out. Trapseing around the woods for chapters is not a good place to be. At all.

I do like the Snape twist thought. I just really don't love book 7.

Book 3 for life.

EDIT: While I'm at it, movie 3 is the best too.

Alfonso Cauron for life.

(<3 u children of men)

Angry Grimace

Right, but what about the other two I through out? Horcruxes always felt shoehorned into the story and not as built up as I'd like it to be if it was going to be such an integral part. It lacked oomph and reeked of "Oh, this is how he will win!". Then again, I know she says it was always planned, I just wish there were more actual hints.

Outside of that, the first half of 7 really sucks. I've never read it again just based off the fact that I can shut my brain off for one read, but on two I'm going to be so critical things will start to stick out. Trapseing around the woods for chapters is not a good place to be. At all.

I do like the Snape twist thought. I just really don't love book 7.

Book 3 for life.

I don't really agree that they felt shoehorned in. Books 6 and 7 were like 40% of the entire story's length.

And that bit about the beginning of 7 I don't really agree with either; you're making it sound like there wasn't any purpose to it, when there totally was.

Harry and Luna was the only right choice. :\

Check my last post yo

(I like how the movie decided to retcon Rowling herself and put Neville and Luna together as fan wank)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't really agree that they felt shoehorned in. Books 6 and 7 were like 40% of the entire story's length.

And that bit about the beginning of 7 I don't really agree with either; you're making it sound like there wasn't any purpose to it, when there totally was.

Well when we consider that all of book two was about one of the horcruxes, I tend to agree.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

True, never really thought about page length. In retrospect, I was always so hyped up on the next book was releasing and it took so long between them (4-7 I read day 1) they are always way more stand alone in my head.

Then again, that's why I like 3 so much. It really stands on its own as a novel and transcends its YA fiction status.

If you want to talk about things shoehorned in, it's the fucking
Deathly Hallows. Outside of the Wand, none of them were really THAT important

Angry Grimace

If you want to talk about things shoehorned in, it's the fucking
Deathly Hallows. Outside of the Wand, none of them were really THAT important

The reason why they weren't important was that they really weren't important drivers of the story beyond the impact they had on Dumbledore's prior motivations. The original title for HP7 was "Harry Potter and the Elder Wand," which makes some sense.

I must be the only Harry and Malfoy :(

Luna was underrated, deserved every bit of Hermione's screentime/booktime and more.

Actually, you aren't and in fact, there's a fan-wank trope named for it, the Draco in Leather Pants. Rowling herself got upset about people who shipped Malfoy with any "good" characters because her intent was that Malfoy was as a supremely unlikeable asshole and she thought the idea of shipping Malfoy missed out on the unfortunate implications (i.e. creating that kind of pairing requires you to completely overlook the fact that Malfoy is a gigantic racist piece of shit)

Yonafunu

Seriously, where the hell is this HP talk coming from? I start reading Berserk again and all of a sudden everybody's talking about HP-shipping? Shit's cray.

Berserk - Nosferatu Zodd

Zodd's a fucking beast. Literally :D
And what the hell is that Egg? It's creeping me out.
Casca's a bitch.

I just want throw out there that Neville was awesome, and probably the only enjoyable part (no matter how small) about the last book.

Also 3 is the best of all time, followed by 4.

Angry Grimace

Seriously, where the hell is this HP talk coming from? I start reading Berserk again and all of a sudden everybody's talking about HP-shipping? Shit's cray.

Berserk - Nosferatu Zodd

Zodd's a fucking beast. Literally :D
And what the hell is that Egg? It's creeping me out.
Casca's a bitch.

Manga News/Discussion |OT9| Not a lick of constructive conversation that's not about spoiling Harry Potter 7

or

Manga News/Discussion |OT9| Harry/Luna OTP

Akito

Haikyuu 47
That was the best match so far, totally lived up to the expectations. Even though Karasumo won in straight sets, you definitely had the feeling that it could have gone the other way around if Datekou managed to catch up.

Ron the Death Eater is one that always cracks me up.

While I don't like the character, some fanfiction portrays him as this complete jealous asshole who was only in it for Harry's fame....

But then again....

Thinking about it....

He just so happens to be rescued by a man who is extremely loyal to Dumbledore....

Just so happens to see the Weasley family, who've been to Hogwarts several times, try and learn where Platform 9 3/4 is...

Who he just so happens to have a Weasley his age....

Who tells him that Slytherin are evil..

Dumbles manipulated the FUCK out of Harry. Played him like a fiddle in hindsight.

Soriku

I honestly don't even get what's to love about 3 over 4-7. I love 3, but what about it is so much more special than 4-7?

I agree. Never really got why 3 was so special compared to the others. I thought movies 5-6 were kind of weak at times (5 spoilers:
lol at Umbridge being carried out near the end by the centaurs. Didn't the centaurs bang her into trees and shit in the book? Dat censoring.
) but 4 and 7 (especially part 2) are damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom